IGNORED

Sack or keep Nigel Pearson

Sturny

Let’s have a vote then ?️   

853 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just got back from today. I love nige and wanted him to do well for us but his win ratio is untenable for me, i feel action is needed but I’m at a lost as to who is either available or who can do better.. It’s a tough call and the worst thing i really really don’t trust Lansdown snr or jnr to make the right call…

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

it would likely be given to Curtis Fleming after an unbeaten run of 3 games as caretaker. Our whole process at selecting Managers have been woeful in SLs reign, literally amateur

The frightening thing is what you’ve said is entirely plausible: see Millen, Tinnion, Holden… ?

1 hour ago, tin said:

For everyone saying get rid after losing to a side that will probably finish in the top six, ask yourselves — on more than 20 years of evidence — do you genuinely trust the Lansdowns to appoint someone who can improve the situation under the current restraints? I sure as hell don’t. 

Yes, today was shit. Yes, we will probably lose at Millwall and to Coventry. But I think we’re better than Rotherham, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Blackpool and will stay up by the skin of our teeth if we keep him.

So the Lansdown family weren’t involved in the appointments of Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill?

As for the teams you think we are better than: today Blackpool got a point at Hull; Rotherham drew at home to Stoke (who beat us last week); Cardiff got a point at home to top side QPR; and Huddersfield won at Preston!  We’ve won one of the last nine…

I fear it is very difficult to conclude anything but that with Nigel Pearson at the helm we are going down (and sadly I suspect we will finish bottom).  At least a change of first team coach would offer us some hope, which is surely better than none.  Relegation would be catastrophic for us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Was it SL who hired Nige without a CEO? 

Must’ve been very close to the timing of Ashton telling SL he’d stabbed him in the back re US Investors and was joining Ipswich under Gamechanger 2020 Ltd…so quite possible MA on gardening leave, only being wheeled out like a dead-Breschnev for media stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So the Lansdown family weren’t involved in the appointments of Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill?

As for the teams you think we are better than: today Blackpool got a point at Hull; Rotherham drew at home to Stoke (who beat us last week); Cardiff got a point at home to top side QPR; and Huddersfield won at Preston!  We’ve won one of the last nine…

I fear it is very difficult to conclude anything but that with Nigel Pearson at the helm we are going down (and sadly I suspect we will finish bottom).  At least a change of first team coach would offer us some hope, which is surely better than none.  Relegation would be catastrophic for us.

Keith Dawe influenced the Cotts recruitment.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It's gonna be an even more bitter pill to swallow if Ipswich pass us coming in the other direction!!! Doesn't bear thinking about.

8 minutes ago, wybmadwity said:

Keep.  I haven't seen a better replacement suggested.

If it was Warnock then I would probably take little interest until he went.

The value of the squad has increased while he has been here and the outgoings reduced.

Warnock would be a disaster here. He would want signings immediately on decent wages, he'd scrap playing any young players and we'd literally start going route 1 from minute 1.. Although for some fans that would be fantastic viewing as long as we were getting results ?

• Like 4

After today I'm afraid that miserable Nige has to go. Happy to move him upstairs, he seems a good football man, but he's working in the entertainment business and appears out of his depth in match management...moreover I can't think of a single game he's managed that I've witnessed in person that has entertained me. It's miserabalist tedium. I'm done with this season. For all that I enjoy the chat with folk around me the football is dire.

That said the blame lies at the top. SL has presided over season after season of unambitious mediocrity - the Cotts years were a brief flicker of light. It's now 15 years since GJ had us on the brink. Largely wasted.

Good luck everybody.

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Warnock would be a disaster here. He would want signings immediately on decent wages, he'd scrap playing any young players and we'd literally start going route 1 from minute 1.. Although for some fans that would be fantastic viewing as long as we were getting results ?

Probably stay up though '15.

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

If that potential scenario doesn’t bear thinking about, there’s another one that doesn’t bear even speaking…..l

Thankfully, there's no way they will get autos and if they did (which I don't think they will) get into the play-offs, no-way will they beat any of those League-1 'big boys' at Wembley, even if they do keep the 'Boro lad.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Keith Dawe hired Cotterill and if I remember correctly GJ wasn’t SL’s first choice either. I add to that SL’s influence in the decision to appoint Pulis over Moyes in the late ‘90s. He has a proven track record of failure when it comes to appointing managers and head coaches. That’s a fact.

For me, it is a miracle that we have stayed in this division the last two seasons given the turmoil we’ve been embroiled in, and our best chance of staying up this year is to stick together now and reassess in the summer. That’s not to say I’m happy with how it’s going, though. Roll the dice before the summer and we add to our financial woes with no guarantee of staying up. 

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

I voted no, I think its the club that is the problem and has been for a while, we've been too soft for a long time now....people have to remember we wanted someone proven....and someone that would come In and take no punches, Pearson does that and maybe sometimes he's a little harsh but the truth hurts sometimes especially when it's about something we all love like our club, I do get though that we can't afford to go down, but I don't know who comes in and changes this....yes ok maybe a manger bounce and a bit of confidence back for a few games but, we'd still have the same problem in the long run because some.players simply aren't good enough for this level sadly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

I voted no, I think its the club that is the problem and has been for a while, we've been too soft for a long time now....people have to remember we wanted someone proven....and someone that would come In and take no punches, Pearson does that and maybe sometimes he's a little harsh but the truth hurts sometimes especially when it's about something we all love like our club, I do get though that we can't afford to go down, but I don't know who comes in and changes this....yes ok maybe a manger bounce and a bit of confidence back for a few games but, we'd still have the same problem in the long run because some.players simply aren't good enough for this level sadly. 

You mention what he talks about in interviews and how is a hard man, is proven….. What about 2 years to not improve a defence and playing King at CB and former free scoring Weimann at wing back?  Interviews and personality are fine but what happens on the pitch is where he should be judged. 

We haven’t got a penny to spend, Pearson has had to sign free transfers and rely on bringing players through.

He’s had to move on the overpaid crap deadwood that Johnson and Ashton brought in.

Results aren’t improving, if Pearson is dismissed it’s got to be someone that can carry on the good work that Pearson has done.

• Like 1

I read a headline where he said not bothered about booing and been booed out of bigger stadiums. That sounds like an insult to the club when I see that. His track record outside of Leicester is absolute shit. Can take that billy big bollocks bullshit(how about that alliteration) somewhere else tbh. 

• Like 2

Sack. 

I'm surprised it's taken this long for there to be chants from the crowd. There's been a lot of booing at the end of games but something changed today.

What's is the man's obsession with 5-2-3. No matter who the opposition are and what tactics they generally use he plays the same system. Surely that just makes us predictable and as we keep finding out teams can easily break us down.

Players playing out of position. Weimann, 20 goals last season and constant running and pressing, playing at wing back whilst you've got Tanner & Sykes on the bench. Andy King at centre back whilst Atkinson is on the bench.

I'm sure he picks a new player each week that he doesn't like, Bentley, Massengo, Atkinson. There always seems to be someone.

Pearson has had long enough to sort this out. Clearly he's not good enough.

Sack. Before it's too late and we end up back in league 1.

30 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I read a headline where he said not bothered about booing and been booed out of bigger stadiums. That sounds like an insult to the club when I see that. His track record outside of Leicester is absolute shit. Can take that billy big bollocks bullshit(how about that alliteration) somewhere else tbh. 

Has he actually said this word for word? I still back Nigel, but if this is true, I think it's a bit of a silly thing to say and worse than last week's comments.

Comes over a little bit like I've been at bigger clubs than Bristol City, so who are they to boo me?

I said this this afternoon and I say it again. Whoever you are, once you regularly start getting people singing you don't know what you're doing and Pearson out etc,  the cards are usually on the table and it can be a long way back. Usually you don't make it.

I still hope he does, but that said, it's getting worrying.

Edited by AppyDAZE

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Keith Dawe influenced the Cotts recruitment.

True, but that doesn’t mean the Lansdown family wasn’t involved.  

I’m not sure I would rate the appointments of Derek McInnes or Sean O’Driscoll as bad appointments at the time they were made.  Both had a lot going for them, but for a variety of reasons didn’t work out.   Ditto Nigel Pearson: sound reasons for appointing him, but it doesn’t appear to have worked out.

it will be interesting to see how Dean Holden does at Charlton.  I always thought there was a potentially very good manager in him…

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’m not sure I would rate the appointments of Derek McInnes or Sean O’Driscoll as bad appointments at the time they were made.  Both had a lot going for them, but for a variety of reasons didn’t work out.   

Well, certainly in McInnes case the major reason being he had to reduce the wage budget by a huge amount.  The squad he ended up with was embarrassing.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Has he actually said this word for word? I still back Nigel, but if this is true, I think it's a bit of a silly thing to say and worse than last week's comments.

Comes over a little bit like I've been at bigger clubs than Bristol City, so who are they to boo me?

I said this this afternoon and I say it again. Whoever you are, once you regularly start getting people singing you don't know what you're doing and Pearson out etc,  the cards are usually on the table and it can be a long way back. Usually you don't make it.

I still hope he does, but that said, it's getting worrying.

I saw the quote in Bristol live. I did not read the article though. So probably missed context but sure they knew what they were doing when they posted it ?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, tin said:

Keith Dawe hired Cotterill and if I remember correctly GJ wasn’t SL’s first choice either. I add to that SL’s influence in the decision to appoint Pulis over Moyes in the late ‘90s. He has a proven track record of failure when it comes to appointing managers and head coaches. That’s a fact.

For me, it is a miracle that we have stayed in this division the last two seasons given the turmoil we’ve been embroiled in, and our best chance of staying up this year is to stick together now and reassess in the summer. That’s not to say I’m happy with how it’s going, though. Roll the dice before the summer and we add to our financial woes with no guarantee of staying up. 

We were talking about Moyes/Pulis decision today. In fairness, whilst Pulis was shit for us, he went on to manage three Prem clubs, so not sure you can challenge SLs management judgement there. 

It's City mate, if we'd appointed Moyes, he'd prob have been shite and sacked within six months too ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There's a large bit of luck in getting a decent manager.

There was a clamour to get Chris Hughton appointed by a lot of fans before Dean Holden was appointed but Hughton had poor results and dour performances with Forest and ultimately was sacked. Like him or loathe him, Forest then made an inspirational appointment with Steve Cooper

It's a very difficult situation as SL has to make a decision before the transfer window opens.  He either backs Pearson with a bit of dealing and then sticks with him to see how the 'freshening' goes or he removes him and allows someone the choice to shape the squad with Brian Tinnions's influence of course.

With Richard Gould leaving it would make the Club rudderless at a key time as SL loves to drag out making appointments. 

They would have to have an inspirational appointment in mind and someone who can work with young players. won't complain about the lack of a large transfer budget, plays attractive football and would be a better coach and tactician than Nigel and his team.   Is there a Steve Cooper waiting in the wings to be appointed?  I doubt it.  Mark Robins appears to be a good fit but probably wouldn't be tempted. Who knows who would be the right person and SL hasn't got the greatest track record with appointments. I suspect he will let Nigel Pearson have the transfer window and then give him the time to see if the freshening-up works.   I'm not convinced but either way, it's not an easy decision.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

This is where it’s worth reading beyond the headline! 

• Like 2