IGNORED

Sack or keep Nigel Pearson

Sturny

Let’s have a vote then ?️   

853 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, headhunter said:

More like New Years Day I feel. Anyone confident of points from the next 2?

Depends on teams results below, and goal difference. I can't see us getting anything against Millwall or Coventry. Just have to hope teams below us don't pick up points either. 

We are already in a relegation battle though. 

10 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Has he though?

Considering the fanfare he brought with him, the experience he has and the contacts he has in the game, we are no better off than we were when Holden left. 

Pearson will presumably get the January window to improve things but tactically, considering the calibre of manager, there’s no ‘clear improvement’ that I can see on the pitch

I think the improvement under Pearson is clear, significant, and statistically evidenced. That's not to say we're good, nor is it to say that current standard are acceptable. Just that it's better than it was under Holden.

IMO people simply forget how bad it was under Holden. We were utterly uncompetitive week after week. We'd often struggle to even get out our own half and produce a shot on target. If you put an average Holden game and an average Pearson game side by side, I think there would be a clear difference between the two.

Worth noting that I'm not considering performance relative to experience/prestige of the managers in question - just the pure performance of their teams.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Perhaps, but the number is still higher and certainly doesn’t point to things being a lot worse under Holden. 

Ultimately, Holden was relieved of his duties at the right time, and unless Pearson can start winning a few games it’s going to get to the point where he will have to be as well

That's the issue though, managers being given crap situations and told they come in aware of that with a plan to turn it around but get sacked before they get to the point where they can actually act on their plans. I still believe that Pearson plan is to make it to the summer where he can actually rebuild us with a lot of players going out freeing up the finances to make those changes. 

The issue is that fans get resless because we're underperforming but we're probably underperforming because so many players haven't been offered the contracts they were hoping for. I think that's where Pearson has lost the dressing room, having 7 players offered new contracts on less wages and 3 players basically being told "you're out". It doesn't matter who comes in that's the situation and although it's not been created by Pearson or his future replacement it has been created by the poor way the club was being run and the players know that. 

I think we'll see a lot of players leave come the summer, the difference will be in who will be replacing them, Pearson who had been here long enough to know where we are struggling and what he's wanted from day 1 or a new guy who will only have had a short amount of months to fully assess everything and he'll need to have made a shortlist of players that he can get for next to nothing. 

Pearson is agreed to the job, he's in it for the long run, if he's sacked then the new guy will know he'll be losing key players, know that we've got a large number of players running out of contract and knowing he needs to potentially sign 6-7 players with no money. Who in their right mind would look at a club who's never been Premier League with all those issues and go "yeah, that's the job I want, along with whatever other debts get added when Pearson leaves"?

I think as it stands January is where we will see if Pearson can get a few deals done to help the squad out which could potentially get us through this season without being relegated but regardless whoever takes over is going to inherit at least 5-7 disgruntled players who may not have a future with us regardless of what he does. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree clubs may not pay more than £4 million for either on current form but I would not accept it in either case. So it just does not make sense to sell either right now. We have to hope Semenyo rediscovers his form in time for us to cash in with a year to go if we trigger his option in the summer.

I wouldn’t accept it either but you have to way it up when the club takes offers,clearly staying in the championship is worth more money with them then getting relegated without them,but then we could get relegated with them and we would be in real trouble then 

2 minutes ago, BilboBaggins05 said:

And Scott has more experience than Bellingham did at the time? Not saying he’s better but Bellingham wasn’t a world beater at 16

Bellingham was streets ahead of Scott whilst having much less experience at a younger age. We won’t be getting 30 but 15 would be a fair price in the summer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

That's the issue though, managers being given crap situations and told they come in aware of that with a plan to turn it around but get sacked before they get to the point where they can actually act on their plans. I still believe that Pearson plan is to make it to the summer where he can actually rebuild us with a lot of players going out freeing up the finances to make those changes. 

The issue is that fans get resless because we're underperforming but we're probably underperforming because so many players haven't been offered the contracts they were hoping for. I think that's where Pearson has lost the dressing room, having 7 players offered new contracts on less wages and 3 players basically being told "you're out". It doesn't matter who comes in that's the situation and although it's not been created by Pearson or his future replacement it has been created by the poor way the club was being run and the players know that. 

I think we'll see a lot of players leave come the summer, the difference will be in who will be replacing them, Pearson who had been here long enough to know where we are struggling and what he's wanted from day 1 or a new guy who will only have had a short amount of months to fully assess everything and he'll need to have made a shortlist of players that he can get for next to nothing. 

Pearson is agreed to the job, he's in it for the long run, if he's sacked then the new guy will know he'll be losing key players, know that we've got a large number of players running out of contract and knowing he needs to potentially sign 6-7 players with no money. Who in their right mind would look at a club who's never been Premier League with all those issues and go "yeah, that's the job I want, along with whatever other debts get added when Pearson leaves"?

I think as it stands January is where we will see if Pearson can get a few deals done to help the squad out which could potentially get us through this season without being relegated but regardless whoever takes over is going to inherit at least 5-7 disgruntled players who may not have a future with us regardless of what he does. 

It’s probably a minority opinion, but I think we’re more likely to go down if we get rid if NP. Some  changes are needed. I hope we can find a way to do some business in Jan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Coach said:

I wouldn’t even vote. The damage is already too much from previous running of the club under Ashton.

If Pearson went. Who would actually improve things with 0 budget to play with? I don’t think there is one.

I think Pearson with his experience should be moved to Director of Football and a younger more tactically minded Head Coach should be found, even if from abroad. WBA have managed to get someone who has taken them on a run of 6 wins out of 7, it's not impossible, maybe only because of money. If something isn't done sooner than later, then division one beckons.

• Like 2

After sitting on it for an hour I'm of the opinion that we were poor today, are probably underperforming a bit generally and Nige could be doing slightly better. However, unless we are in the bottom 3 and looking almost lifeless I'd stick with it.

Why? Because I think a lot of the issues aren't NP's fault, they're Lansdown's/ predecessor's. NP is aware of those issues and trust he will tell the board some harsh truth's while having the experience to manage the personnel in the squad during a period of transition.

We need to be patient and recognise we're still in that period where we're having to manage poor financial decisions so a change won't come instantly. Although today was bad it was still better than what Nige was presented with when he took over. Managing that while cutting costs means I still have faith he will leave us in a better position than when he took over. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, BilboBaggins05 said:

I wouldn’t accept less than 20? Do you realise how little 4m actually is. 

Didn't Gould say that players wages had decreased on average across the Championship by a third since COVID, or something similar to that? With that in mind would transfer fees be similarly affected? I don't think there is as much money as there was at our level and below.

22 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I think the improvement under Pearson is clear, significant, and statistically evidenced. That's not to say we're good, nor is it to say that current standard are acceptable. Just that it's better than it was under Holden.

IMO people simply forget how bad it was under Holden. We were utterly uncompetitive week after week. We'd often struggle to even get out our own half and produce a shot on target. If you put an average Holden game and an average Pearson game side by side, I think there would be a clear difference between the two.

Worth noting that I'm not considering performance relative to experience/prestige of the managers in question - just the pure performance of their teams.

Being better than Holden isn’t much of an achievement

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

Depends on teams results below, and goal difference. I can't see us getting anything against Millwall or Coventry. Just have to hope teams below us don't pick up points either. 

We are already in a relegation battle though. 

I completely agree, no one expected anything from them before today.

Been in a battle with the rest of the bottom six for a while, nothing that happened today changed that.

Question for me is do we think someone else we could realistically attract (so not effing Wilder) get more from the squad.

• Like 3

I’m not for knee-jerk reactions but something has gone badly wrong. It’s showing on the pitch, and that indicates he’s lost the dressing room.

The team isn’t play-off material but it’s not  a ‘bad’ side. Needs someone new to come in, lift them up and get them playing.

The players either look scared or disinterested-that’s on Nige’s head. 

17 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I wouldn’t accept it either but you have to way it up when the club takes offers,clearly staying in the championship is worth more money with them then getting relegated without them,but then we could get relegated with them and we would be in real trouble then 

True but I don’t think we will go down. We should be a lot better and it will be closer than it should be but I think we will stay up, even if I am unsure which manager we will stay up under. 

But, for all we talk up Scott and Semenyo, neither influences games as much as they would need to command big fees.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I wouldn’t say the dressing room is lost but your point about lack of fight and aggression today is spot on. West Brom literally WANTED it more than us today.

I look back at the Watford game in mid November and thought that a) It was a a good reaction and b) I rather hoped that it set a benchmark moving forward.

Sadly b) Has not been the case. We toughed it out at Rotherham but beyond that well the last two home games have been highly disappointing from this perspective.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I look back at the Watford game in mid November and thought that a) It was a a good reaction and b) I rather hoped that it set a benchmark moving forward.

Sadly b) Has not been the case. We toughed it out at Rotherham but beyond that well the last two home games have been highly disappointing from this perspective.

Agreed. Apart from a small minority Nige is lucky he has a very understanding fan base. However he’s now a couple more shite performances away from that understanding starting to evaporate. The last two games have been hopelessly sub-standard and lacking in basic desire and aggression and that never flies with fans for long.

• Like 1