IGNORED

Sack or keep Nigel Pearson

Sturny

Let’s have a vote then ?️   

853 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, NotRoyal said:

Personally I think we have a good squad and some exciting players. They just need organising and not played out of position.  Each game we appear to adopt a different and new formation 

Without change we are going down. I would appoint Dyche now He is an organiser and knows the club and the division well 

Not going to happen, mate. Lansdown not keen on ginger managers

On 26/12/2022 at 17:45, italian dave said:

It's already been 2-3 years FFS!! You want another 2-3? And in the meantime...?

Every other club has to deal with financial messes left by previous managers/administrations. 

Where else, staring relegation in the face, is no action taken just because it's all the fault of someone who left 3 years ago?
Nowhere else gives the next manager 5-6 years to sort it out. 

And pretty much all of them are above us in the league right now.

It's taken 2-3 years for this mess to materialise (FFP). Sacking Pearson still leaves us with the same squad who will be lucky to stay up regardless of who is in charge.

Pearson took on a challenge that not many other managers would have wanted. Unable to spend in the transfer market, chop the wage bill, promote from the academy....Managers are judged on results, so they want to buy players in and not risk their career. Pearson accepted what was required from the board, so he is going to be given the time he needs.

Sell one or two 'assets' in the January transfer window and we might be in a position to spend again. 

Just trying to bankrupt the club in order to compete is just crazy. 

The set up with parachute payments etc is a totally uneven playing field and in order to compete clubs like City have to go for broke and then cry when they need bailing out. The risk of clubs going to the wall is increasing. Our club more than many know how close we were to being no more. Being sustainable is a priority. We have to use the academy in the future as that is where the money invested can create profits for the club as we shall shortly benefit from when we sell Scott and Semenyo.

• Like 6

On 28/12/2022 at 11:16, NotRoyal said:

Personally I think we have a good squad and some exciting players. They just need organising and not played out of position.  Each game we appear to adopt a different and new formation 

Without change we are going down. I would appoint Dyche now He is an organiser and knows the club and the division well 

We have that already. Just curious but how well does Dyche know the club ? I would suggest that it may have changed significantly since he was last an employee here.

Are you suggesting that the club is disorganised ?  Again sorry but I'm not seeing that, in fact totally the opposite in that there is a clear plan that is currently being executed by NP, his staff, and CEO.

On 28/12/2022 at 13:47, GrahamC said:

That we had overpaid for Wells & they had underpaid for Brownhill.

He can’t resist a dig at us, I think his spell here as a player (he is scathing in his book about his medical treatment under Buster Footman) has left an impression, being booed off the pitch & clapping back when subbed v WBA, too.

I mean in all fairness they did underpay for Brownhill, £4m is pennies for a club who have got over 100 games out of him with many of them being at a higher level. 

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

He cost them £9m.

My mistake, even so, I'd say £9m for 100 games is still great value with his quality. I mean we paid £9m for Kalas and Kalas has been good but he's not been nearly as influential as Brownhill has for Burnley. 

I mean I know I hated it when he lost Brownhill and I still think he's a hell of a midfielder and they've more than got their moneys worth out of him, Kalas has played more games for us and I'd still not say he was worth the fee we paid as our defence has been shite and he's been injured for the last year and a bit of his contract. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If he sacks him now it will be yet another terrible decision from him to add to the majority of his previous bloody awful managerial decisions and we'll almost certainly be in freefall imo.

In the immediate aftermath of the Boxing Day misery I'd lost faith in Pearson. On reflection, and after a couple of battling performances the like of which aren't displayed by sides who've lost faith in their manager, I agree with your sentiments. I have, however, no faith in SL to do more than keep the wheels on the wagon. Perhaps that is all we can hope for.

• Like 2

The thing is for the first time in years it feels like we have adults in charge - the mess they inherited they are slowly sorting and providing we stay in the division then next season will be the first time we can judge Pearson on performances as it would be largely his squad. If we accept that this squad is not capable of any consistency then we cannot complain if performances are inconsisitent can we?

Reading, Birmingham, Stoke were all desperately poor performances, Sheff Utd, Watford & Millwall were all much better. Its the nature of the squad.

We have to stick in my opinion but accepting that there will be some rubbish on the way.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nige wasn't brought in to get City in the top 6, or even the top 10.

Anyone who thought that was a possibility at this stage, considering the shit show he inherited, and little or no money to spend, is in dreamland.

He was brought in to cull the squad of cosy non triers who were bleeding the club dry with no return and he's made huge strides in that direction, and continues to do so.

It needed a particular type of manager to have the gravitas to come in change the whole culture of the club, and Nige continues to be that man afaic.

We must stay up throughout this change, of course, but as long as we do, the job he was initially brought in for continues to be done, and a further raft of overpaid players we don't want here are off the books this summer.

Then he has the opportunity to sign the players and characters he wants for his squad and we can truly judge if he is the man to not only stabilise the club, but take it forward.

SL knows he got lucky with Pearson - his club post his wild LJ indulgences and extravagances was in a complete mess both squad wise and financially.

If he sacks him now it will be yet another terrible decision from him to add to the majority of his previous bloody awful managerial decisions and we'll almost certainly be in freefall imo.

Thank God for Nogbad.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

We have that already. Just curious but how well does Dyche know the club ? I would suggest that it may have changed significantly since he was last an employee here.

Are you suggesting that the club is disorganised ?  Again sorry but I'm not seeing that, in fact totally the opposite in that there is a clear plan that is currently being executed by NP, his staff, and CEO.

I think he means organise a team. Pearson cannot stop the leaky defence yet. Hopefully he can have it solved soon now King isn’t first choice middle of the back 3 

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Anyone who thought that was a possibility at this stage, considering the shit show he inherited, and little or no money to spend, is in dreamland.

He was brought in to cull the squad of cosy non triers who were bleeding the club dry with no return and he's made huge strides in that direction, and continues to do so.

It needed a particular type of manager to have the gravitas to come in change the whole culture of the club, and Nige continues to be that man afaic.

We must stay up throughout this change, of course, but as long as we do, the job he was initially brought in for continues to be done, and a further raft of overpaid players we don't want here are off the books this summer.

Then he has the opportunity to sign the players and characters he wants for his squad and we can truly judge if he is the man to not only stabilise the club, but take it forward.

SL knows he got lucky with Pearson - his club post his wild LJ indulgences and extravagances was in a complete mess both squad wise and financially.

This

If we sell Semenyo and Scott in January for £20 million plus, buy well and he keeps us up he's done his job. He inherited a bang average squad but a good youth set up. He needs to build his own team. I know some of his purchases have disappointed and are in and out of the squad but most are still young enough to improve and knit as a squad.

He should stay 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

If we sell Semenyo and Scott in January for £20 million plus, buy well and he keeps us up he's done his job. He inherited a bang average squad but a good youth set up. He needs to build his own team. I know some of his purchases have disappointed and are in and out of the squad but most are still young enough to improve and knit as a squad.

He should stay 

I know the January transfer market is inflated, but I don't think either is going to attract more than a cheeky bid at the moment. Seroius bidders will be waiting in the wings, hoping we get relegated so they can pick up some bargains.

Is this thread still going? The ghost of Christmas shit/yet to come. Its not even twelfth night and the world is miserable enough already.

Happy New Year!!

48 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think he means organise a team. Pearson cannot stop the leaky defence yet. Hopefully he can have it solved soon now King isn’t first choice middle of the back 3 

Might be misguided but I think we have turned the corner / beginning to turn the corner.  It’s possible that my next comment might seem contradictory, but it’s now just individual errors in the main that are costing us points.  Structurally we are probably not far off performing to the levels defensively where we at the start of last season, where we were solid in the main.

We have to accept the quality level of our players, having no Kalas virtually all season, deprived of Baker, etc.  that’s bound to have an impact.

We aren’t conceding lots of chances every game (Boro away aside), we aren’t getting overrun by teams.  We are pretty sound from set pieces these days.  So I see that as a sign of improvement.  14 goals conceded in the last 13 is a marked improvement, 6 in 6 more recently, 3 clean sheets in those 13 games.  That’s selective.

But let’s see if we can maintain throughout January.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Might be misguided but I think we have turned the corner / beginning to turn the corner.  It’s possible that my next comment might seem contradictory, but it’s now just individual errors in the main that are costing us points.  Structurally we are probably not far off performing to the levels defensively where we at the start of last season, where we were solid in the main.

We have to accept the quality level of our players, having no Kalas virtually all season, deprived of Baker, etc.  that’s bound to have an impact.

We aren’t conceding lots of chances every game (Boro away aside), we aren’t getting overrun by teams.  We are pretty sound from set pieces these days.  So I see that as a sign of improvement.  14 goals conceded in the last 13 is a marked improvement, 6 in 6 more recently, 3 clean sheets in those 13 games.  That’s selective.

Jury is definitely still out. 11 goals conceded in last 10 isn’t bad but second lowest scorers in the league in that period with 7 goals.  In that period there are teams above us in form table who have worse squads. Let’s hope the last 2 games are a catapult for the next 8 and the start of a good bank of 10 games. Bloody needs to be

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

So do you think we have turned a corner or are beginning to turn the corner? ?

RE Kalas/Baker, most teams have injuries to some of their best players, we have collected 2 pts from the last possible 6pts available and yes I know we could have/should have got more but Millwall and Coventry also could have, as they also missed chances to do so.

Being selective myself, 3 wins from the last 19games now, cannot continue for much longer we have to turn the effort into wins...soon.

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Jury is definitely still out. 11 goals conceded in last 10 isn’t bad but second lowest scorers in the league in that period with 7 goals.  In that period there are teams above us in form table who have worse squads. Let’s hope the last 2 games are a catapult for the next 8 and the start of a good bank of 10 games. Bloody needs to be

⬇️⬇️⬇️

4 minutes ago, gl2 said:

RE Kalas/Baker, most teams have injuries to some of their best players, we have collected 2 pts from the last possible 6pts available and yes I know we could have/should have got more but Millwall and Coventry also could have, as they also missed chances to do so.

Being selective myself, 3 wins from the last 19games now, cannot continue for much longer we have to turn the effort into wins...soon.

So the point I responded to was about a leaky defence.  One of you moves the goalposts and starts referencing our attack and the other starts talking about points gained and wins.

Not you both per se, but this is typical OTIB…you widen the topic scope when it suits, but if I wanted to discuss a broader topic it gets narrowed to suit. Arghhhhh ???

So….in response to Dave’s “can’t fix a leaky defence”, what do you think about our defence of late and the points I made?  Then we can go broader.  Ta!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

So the point I responded to was about a leaky defence.  One of you moves the goalposts and starts referencing our attack and the other starts talking about points gained and wins.

Not you both per se, but this is typical OTIB…you widen the topic scope when it suits, but if I wanted to discuss a broader topic it gets narrowed to suit. Arghhhhh ???

So….in response to Dave’s “can’t fix a leaky defence”, what do you think about our defence of late and the points I made?  Then we can go broader.  Ta!

I said the jury is still out. It’s been two games.  I wouldn’t judge any improvement or regression over two games.  As I then went onto say, let’s hope the last two games are the start of a good bank of ten.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gl2 said:

Blimey that really is poor

In a round about way, you're saying the same things. There are a lot of us disappointed with performances this season, we all understand that there are contributory factors, particularly financially, but where are we really at ad a club. 

Taking factors into account, are we performing at the level we should be (e.g. just above drop zone) some would argue we should still be better given we have talent in our squad e.g. potent strike force that "Wayne Rooney thinks is as good as any" or whatever. It does add to the frustration when we see players left out who seem to be our better players e.g. wells, semenyo, pring, Atkinson, Wilson only to be replaced with senior pros out of position. 

I also think that even if we are at the right place in the division then we are still entitled to be frustrated, albeit NP wouldn't be the one to vent at... either the owners in terms of decision making or covid for the crash of the transfer market. Whether the model of buy young promising talent and sell big would have worked is something we might never know.

What is clear though is that we all want our team and club to be successful, we are probably all frustrated that we are hamstrung and want to see us improve. I'm not sure how rapid this improvement can be, realistically but do feel that we would accept more consistency in performance and decisions that we were more likely to understand.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2023 at 13:07, Nogbad the Bad said:

We should get that post printed in leaflet form and handed out before the Birmingham game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1