IGNORED

Nigel’s Agent

Silvio Dante

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Although not always. Spence at Middlesbrough got loaned out and they have benefited to the tune of 8 figures for a player who wasn't in their plans!

That's not the kind of luck that I would expect to fall our way though and certainly cannot be taken as a general rule or theme.

He got loaned out to a side, Spence who finished bottom half in 2020-21 and first 7 or 8 games of last season sacked manager and one point.

Then somehow that side beat a number of PL sides in the Cup AND got promoted and he was integral to it. Technically he was not getting any game time at Middlesbrough, £10-15m in the bank for them!

Spence was loaned out because Colin didn't like his attitude and they had Jones already.

Conte made it clear he wasn't his signing hence he doesn't get a look in at Spurs.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CliftonCliff said:

Whether he’s pissed off or indifferent, I wouldn’t know, but he has pretty broad shoulders and said on Monday that he’d rather the fans had a pop at him and not the players, so I’d be very surprised if he felt the need for his agent to speak in his defence. He’s more than capable of taking care of himself.

In any event, it’s not a particularly appropriate or well-judged intervention: its main effect, as we can see, has been to prompt people with nothing better to do to engage in yet more wearying and pointless speculation that it signifies more than it actually does. A bit unusual, yes. Interesting, not especially. Largely irrelevant, definitely. It’s a non-story.

Wearying pointless speculation. Come here often?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

This was always going to be a long term project to rebuild our club.  If you can liken it to the captain of a trans-Atlantic ship - would you sack him in mid voyage if the ship was caught in a storm?  I doubt if his job is as easy as the keyboard warriors on this forum seem to think. We are still afloat and I reckon that Nige will bring the ship safely into port if given the chance.

I'm torn but I think there is a valid point here. I think on balance I want Pearson to stay. I'd certainly understand if he did get sacked but, either way, the most important thing to me is that we complete the journey we're on.

The absolute last thing I want is a new manager to come in, decide he doesn't fancy any of the players NP has signed or the way that the club have been instructed to play from first team through the youth teams, rip up the foundations of the last two years and we find ourselves starting again from scratch. 

If there is a change, I think it has to be someone who can do the job NP is doing more effectively rather than someone who disagrees on the nature of the job is that needs to be done. 

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Spence was loaned out because Colin didn't like his attitude and they had Jones already.

Conte made it clear he wasn't his signing hence he doesn't get a look in at Spurs.

Still though that is some benefit from a player who wasn't in the plans! £10-15m profit, luck too. Could you imagine us getting that fortunate with a player we loaned out??

There was a strong element of luck to how his value increased as well as his obvious ability.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Player loans aside, wouldn't have minded if he had mentioned some of the officiating calls this season but I guess that's not really the done thing for an agent.

1) Dodgy penalty at Hull against us- arguably we should habe had 2 of our own but I'm not so sure.

2) Failure to penalise Bennett correctly at Wigan when we were a goal up and playing alright.

3) No issue with the Sykes red but the failure to penalise Freeman or failing that call a foul committed on Sykes in build-up.

4) One if not two penalties denied v Sheffield United at home. Unless I'm getting my games mixed up. Bare minimum one iirc.

5) Failure to call a red card on Norwood in same game.

6) Failure to call one and maybe two penalties vs Watford at home.

These calls can and do cost teams. Not as if we have received many major big calls or letoffs in our favour?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Still though that is some benefit from a player who wasn't in the plans! £10-15m profit, luck too. Could you imagine us getting that fortunate with a player we loaned out??

There was a strong element of luck to how his value increased as well as his obvious ability.

Sure but it wasn't part of a strategy of sending players on loan to develop them or they would not have sent him to a rival. They just wanted shot of him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Increased Squad value?   If he is talking the monetary aspect?    Sorry, but that is most defeinitely NOT the case.

The squad is worth way more than when he joined. 

Virtually all our players were worthless when he joined as they were on contracts that were too generous, meaning they had little or zero transfer value. Famara may have cost £5 million but in February 21 he was worth zilch as was Paterson etc.  Likes of Wells and Kalas were more of a liability than anything of value.  

We now have a number of younger players who now have considerable value.  Semenyo, Scott and Conway.  Amazed you can't see that.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

It's not unusual for agents to defend their clients online. It's actually pretty common for agents to speak up for their clients and present their perspective in public forums, whether online or in person. This could include responding to criticism or negative comments about their client, or just giving more information or context that might be helpful to people following the discussion.

Of course, it's important for agents to be professional and ethical when representing their clients, which means being respectful and polite, not making false or misleading statements, and being transparent about any conflicts of interest.

2 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

It's not unusual for agents to defend their clients online. It's actually pretty common for agents to speak up for their clients and present their perspective in public forums, whether online or in person. This could include responding to criticism or negative comments about their client, or just giving more information or context that might be helpful to people following the discussion.

Of course, it's important for agents to be professional and ethical when representing their clients, which means being respectful and polite, not making false or misleading statements, and being transparent about any conflicts of interest.

This is a ChatGPT answer

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Lansdown has made plenty of mistakes over the years but to sack Pearson now would be the biggest of the lot. 

The bloke is sorting our club out from top to bottom. Let’s hope SL doesn’t listen to the brain dead sections of our fan base 

I don't think anyone is denying that point.

However, some of us aren't prepared to fall headlong into League 1 while he does it.

And my brain works fine thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I agree with him on the games vs Sheffield United, Watford and Stoke in particular. Swansea seemed to take some control 2nd half but I think had we got 5 pts from the Sheffield United, Watford and Stoke games nobody really could have argued. Maybe More than 5 but we sure as hell deserved more than one. Perhaps 7 in fact.

I suppose playing youth and giving them their head has enhanced their value.

Some of the FFP stuff I agree with but as I've always said, the whole "oh Covid cost a club, any club millions in the transfer market therefore it should be added to our allowances" seems dubious to me FFP wise.

And this is the absurdity of this maelstrom of discontent - 5 more points and we'd be eyeing 5th & 6th ; fine margins!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Virtually all our players were worthless when he joined as they were on contracts that were too generous, meaning they had little or zero transfer value. Famara may have cost £5 million but in February 21 he was worth zilch as was Paterson etc.  Likes of Wells and Kalas were more of a liability than anything of value.  

We now have a number of younger players who now have considerable value.  Semenyo, Scott and Conway.  Amazed you can't see that.

What are realistic individual value in your estimate as of today's date? Conway would be highest IMHO

10 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Of course i can see that.........but if they have talent, they will inevitably come to the fore.   I can accept Conway's path has been accelerated by Pearson...but all three would have become first teamer's with or without NP.   If anything, i believe he is currently holding Antoines career back, rather than increasing his profile and value.  Pearson is not the messiah.....he's a very naughty boy!   Ha!!  ?

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

It's a stain on the supporter base that this guy feels the need

Why can't we just support Pearson to finish the job he's been bought in to do

Surely given the week known restrictions on us financially, there can be no doubt whatsoever that an absolute minimum expectation is to maintain our Championship status - so minimum that it can't even have been mentioned publicly at the time of his appointment.

Wiemann saved him from that being an issue last season, but now he's apparently our first choice RWB (above the RWB's bought in by NP) we don't have him getting us off the hook and would anyone bet any significant money on us being assured of not going down..?

It would be a brave person to bet anything meaningful on it, at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

And this is the absurdity of this maelstrom of discontent - 5 more points and we'd be eyeing 5th & 6th ; fine margins!

Still don't see us as top 6 even with that but I see your point, momentum and confidence etc. More likely we would feel secure at the level.

Its not like we at home haven't been competing. West Brom the first full game, and obviously 1st half v QPR and probably most of game v Millwall tbh. Fine margins certainly.

18 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Lansdown has made plenty of mistakes over the years but to sack Pearson now would be the biggest of the lot. 

The bloke is sorting our club out from top to bottom. Let’s hope SL doesn’t listen to the brain dead sections of our fan base 

Spot on mate at last someone with sense people just havent a clue.. The Johnson era and spending has turned the expectations through the roof we need to come down a peg or to for a while. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah probably fair. I’m just a bit gobsmacked that an agent has come out on social media and completed what looks to be a pre-emptive defence. I can’t think it would happen based on just fanbase unrest so feels to be more of getting defence in early in advance of a club potential decision.

In him posting it, it’s made me feel that Nige leaving is all the more likely.

Easier for the new CEO to pull the trigger now rather than Gould who appeared to get on well with NP

42 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Of course but you have to have a manager who is prepared to play them as opposed to shifting them out on loan. It's only by playing them that their value increases. Though he doesn't pick them for the sake of it but because he thinks they are up to it.

As to loans Nigel has made it clear that players will only go out if it genuinely benefits their development. Under the previous regime it was routine regardless of whether it was beneficial.

The worst example for me was Pring who was shipped out again, ignoring Tinnion's view that he was ready for the first team squad.

Conway for instance benefited from training with the first team rather than being loaned out. We now seem to have got the balance right.

42 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Both. Tinnion and the academy have done great work, but you still need that manager to give them a chance, to take thst risk.

Talented or not with a lot of clubs wanting progress and results instantly if not sooner, it is easier to chase midtable with experienced pros, to buy time.

In answer to both posts which broadly make the same points- there is a degree of 'Hobson's choice' in a small squad.

If players play themselves into contention then that is down to a number of factors beyond purely the manager. The reverse is also true- Semenyo being a prime example and I dont see his loss of form down to Nige alone.

As for Conway- he was on his way out on loan but played himself into the first team in pre-season- if the WSM line had carried on where it left off then I suspect Conway would have gone on loan. As for persisting with Palmer- really: NO he couldnt! That was not a choice but a necessity and obvious to all in the same way Simpson was.

Playing players out of position is a choice as is leaving a fit player out of the team.

IMO, the agent stating that Nige has increased the value of the squad is disingenuous particularly when he didnt sign any of the players whose value has increased. Mostly, his own signings struggle to make the starting 11 and I couldn't name one whose value has increased or that we could off load if the club needed to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Pretty desperate stuff. 

Not exactly like he's had a choice over wage bill reduction/FFP compliance. Plus most of that "work" will have been done by Gould and Marshall.

You need a manager who buys in however.

Someone like Parker wouldn't even look twice "I want this, and this and that- oh and that shiny one there". Only Parachute Payment clubs or PL clubs need apply for my services...

Granted that is two ends of the spectrum but you do need a manager who will buy in and not kick off etc. Who understands and accepts the situation for what it is.

Someone like Parker would ask for a big wage and a £10m transfer budget or expensive loans I imagine. Just one example-  certainly wouldn't agree with reducing the amortisation and wage bills. Hence someone like Parker wouldn't join us- a lot of managers would chafe against the FFP restrictions we are under.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, lenred said:

I’d imagine it’s just in relation to all the shit he’s apparently been getting on Twitter. Must admit its slightly odd though.  

Yep. A significant proportion of football-related stuff on Twitter is utter brain rot written by people who give the impression that they shouldn't be allowed unsupervised access to the internet.

It's best ignored and I'm not sure why he/Nige feels the need to fuel it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Scott, Semenyo, Conway have considerably more value than they had before Nigel joined.

Under Ashton and LJ they'd probably be on loan somewhere!

Cannot agree.......cream always rises to the surface.  Pearson has only ended up putting the 3 of them in the first team due to circumstances, people need to get over the fact that NP is some kind of magician who has plucked  three players as if from nowhere to make them valuable stars?.  LJ did much more     by bringing through Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan and others, so why the ludicrous prejudice against him?   At this precise time, Semenyo and Scott's values are tumbling on a daily basis, due to Pearson's team selections and tactics   (Did u watch the WBA and Stoke games?)............Pearson should turn out the lights on his way out of the building IMO.    ?

• Confused 1