IGNORED

For the record whatever happens tonight where do you stand?

Jerseybean

I am in no doubt that Pearson is the right person to sort the deeper issues at the club out. He’s made fantastic progress off the pitch and we’re moving in the right direction. 

I’m not sure he has the answers on the pitch though. I hope he can turn things around and prove me wrong but his decision making regarding team selection and substitutions is baffling at times and I don’t think he has a Plan B when our pump it long to the wide players game plan doesn’t work.

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

But, you'll struggle to get anyone to admit to it.

They'll be conspicuous by their absence later if we do win.

17 minutes ago, gl2 said:

His record in nearly 2 years here is rubbish imo, we shouldnt keep him just because of what he managed years ago; when we enter the bottom 3 opinions will change.

So SL will keep him whatever even if god forbid he takes us down as we will then be into the Re-build shite again.

In the same way that he was never going to sack Lee Johnson, regardless of whether he took us down?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Nigel Pearson is not only the solution to effect short term improvement but much more importantly is the solution to create a club more befitting of one of the countries biggest cities and the large fanbase that we have.

It would be a massive massive (in fact a very Bristol City,) mistake to get rid of him.

Well said.

57 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

For the record, and regardless of tonight’s result and indeed our league position at the end of the season, I remain solidly behind Nigel Pearson being our manager.

I fully accept that progress has been slower than hoped for and results and performances have often been poor, frustrating and under par. Nevertheless I sincerely hope that NP remains our manager.

Turning the Club around was always going to require considerable time and in-depth football experience. For me a change of manager this season would be a mistake. In essence I still see NP as the solution not the problem.

Well said.

We're basically like that tanker that got stuck sideways in the suez canal last year or, in our more abject moments, like Austin Powers stuck in a corridor on that golf cart or whatever it was. 

I'd do a gif but such newfangled social media nonsense is beyond me.

Anyway, fingers crossed for tonight. COYR! 

• Like 1

I expect us to lose tonight and at Coventry, but will changing the manager bring an upturn in fortunes? Not for me, no. There’s no obvious candidate out there right now, there’s no guarantee anyone could do a better job given the circumstances, individuals will continue to make mistakes, and we have no money to spend. So unless we want Euell in charge and to become certain for relegation, I think seeing out the rest of the season makes the most sense. Now isn’t the time for change, so get behind the lads, no matter how shit they can be, and look at changing it at the end of the season IMO.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I expect this view to be attacked.

There is clearly increasing unrest among many on here regarding our manager and multiple threads have provided the full OTIB spectrum of opinion, logic and debate concerning his position, some pro NP some con NP.

For the record, and regardless of tonight’s result and indeed our league position at the end of the season, I remain solidly behind Nigel Pearson being our manager.

I fully accept that progress has been slower than hoped for and results and performances have often been poor, frustrating and under par. Nevertheless I sincerely hope that NP remains our manager.

Turning the Club around was always going to require considerable time and in-depth football experience. For me a change of manager this season would be a mistake. In essence I still see NP as the solution not the problem.

Where do you stand?

Off to get my hard hat on.

If we lose yet another game tonight...........I won't be standing, but probably slumped on my sofa, drowning my sorrows?   However I remain cautiously optimistic that we can possibly nick a point this evening?

I think Pearson has had long enough.I listen to his interviews and they make sense but on the pitch it is the same time and time again. Too often defensive chaos and gifting goals to the opposition on a regular basis. I cannot understand why Pearson, a good defender in his day and vastly experienced  manager cannot resolve these issue. I believed in him and argued on here many times on his behalf. But nothing has changed. We are heading for relegation. Currently the only thing that will save us is if there are three teams worse than us. You cannot sit back with Pearson and rely on that. I don't think it will happen and like most on here Lansdown cannot be trusted to get someone in to sort it out. But doing nothing is not the answer. I hope we win tonight and go on a decent run but I cannot see it.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I honestly believe there are a few on here hoping we lose tonight, because the feel SL will act.

Not me SL wont act for at least another year whatever happens today/next week/next month (I can highlight and underline as well)

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Well said.

Well said.

We're basically like that tanker that got stuck sideways in the suez canal last year or, in our more abject moments, like Austin Powers stuck in a corridor on that golf cart or whatever it was. 

I'd do a gif but such newfangled social media nonsense is beyond me.

Anyway, fingers crossed for tonight. COYR! 

Suez Canal GIF by GIPHY News

16 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

They'll be conspicuous by their absence later if we do win.

I'm split on this. I do think there are pros to keeping NP:

- vision and determination to clear up players we have meaning operating on a reduced squad both in terms of quality and numbers

- experience to stay committed to this despite a tough set of results.

- results have seemed to not reflect performance levels. We have been unlucky more than we have gaining undeserved points. Throw in penalties too (well lack of)

- given youth a chance

And cons:

- freezing out players, and there's a long list. All managers do this to a smaller degree but NP seems to do this for longer and can be baffling.

- freezing out those whose contracts expire... I can't think who this benefits. Sure, use it as a consideration and integrate others into the squad but players will try hard for a move, add value to our team and might actually re-sign if things go well.

-in match ability to change a game. Once we are behind we seem to have no effective plan to get back into the games. Subs seem ineffective and we often peter out in games to a frustrating defeat.

- signings haven't been inspiring. I accept we are shopping in kwik save rather than waitrose but even those signed fail to effect games.

I don't think we should sack him on balance but don't think we'd be missing too much value if we did. Ultimately I think results and performances should be better.

Still NP in.

He is here to affect change a term he used in a recent press conference.

That is never easy and often unpopular.

Do I think we will go down with him at the helm? No. Could it be rocky? Yes.

He could refine some of his methods, both man management and tactical- I'm still not wholly convinced by the stability of a back 3 team wise, battles in certain zones ie 3 v 2 centrally or 2 v 1 in wide areas, but that's for another thread mostly.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I think Pearson has had long enough.I listen to his interviews and they make sense but on the pitch it is the same time and time again. Too often defensive chaos and gifting goals to the opposition on a regular basis. I cannot understand why Pearson, a good defender in his day and vastly experienced  manager cannot resolve these issue. I believed in him and argued on here many times on his behalf. But nothing has changed. We are heading for relegation. Currently the only thing that will save us is if there are three teams worse than us. You cannot sit back with Pearson and rely on that. I don't think it will happen and like most on here Lansdown cannot be trusted to get someone in to sort it out. But doing nothing is not the answer. I hope we win tonight and go on a decent run but I cannot see it.

I must just not know Nige well enough but I really expected him to sort our defence out. Yet our defensive record has been poor. I'm also surprised by his commitment to 3 centre backs, which he actually said is not his preference. Whether the two are linked I don't know but I keep expecting us to revert to a back 4 and start focusing on clean sheets and possession, but it never happens.

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Who ? Your psychiatrist or Trev ?

They both seem to know you ?

• Haha 1

No hard hats needed. I think some just need to get better at disagreeing with posters without being an arse about it!

For example I do disagree with you. I think we need to make a change as I believe it will increase our survival chances and I think relegation would be a bigger setback than losing Pearson. But I respect your opinion and hope to god I’m in a great mood with Nigel Pearson come 21:45 ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I am in no doubt that Pearson is the right person to sort the deeper issues at the club out. He’s made fantastic progress off the pitch and we’re moving in the right direction. 

I’m not sure he has the answers on the pitch though. I hope he can turn things around and prove me wrong but his decision making regarding team selection and substitutions is baffling at times and I don’t think he has a Plan B when our pump it long to the wide players game plan doesn’t work.

What is the fantastic off the pitch progress he’s made?

9 minutes ago, Eastred said:

What is the fantastic off the pitch progress he’s made?

Team younger, wages and amortisation falling- in particular giving Scott, Conway and to an extent Semenyo their chance. Pring his first proper chance- Benarous would be getting game time were he not injured.

Players such as Wilson, Tanner, Atkinson are investments in the now but with scope to grow.

Vyner, Wells and earlier season DaSilva he got more than his predecessors. Massengo too pre contact issues was arguably showing something at times.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Sounds like you would back him even if he took us down which is pretty crazy in my opinion 

Unlike any other manager we have EVER had he seems to be above criticism by a fairly large percentage of posters on here, there are some mitigating excuses in his favour but personally with the personnel he has at his disposal and the signings he has made and his overall record as a manager I would say his time at city has been a mostly disappointing one and that's me being generous, who could take over and do any better? now you're asking.  

This is it now isn’t it? A new thread every 2-3 days until he’s gone. We’ve already got a 13 page debate going.

In the aftermath of defeat Tuesday(? No idea what day it is) I voted sack but I’ve thought more since and I’m undecided. We’ve lost some games where we’ve still had fight (Norwich, Sheff Utd), the other day was the first game we looked like we didn’t even compete. A repeat of that will be a worry - show some fight and even maybe a result and I’ll stay on the fence I think

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pillred said:

Unlike any other manager we have EVER had he seems to be above criticism by a fairly large percentage of posters on here, there are some mitigating excuses in his favour but personally with the personnel he has at his disposal and the signings he has made and his overall record as a manager I would say his time at city has been a mostly disappointing one and that's me being generous, who could take over and do any better? now you're asking.  

Anyone who would back him if we are relegated has to ask themselves why. He would have shown nothing to suggest he can build this club back up again if he relegated us.  Anyone can release players and pick youngsters.  Any fan backing him after relegation would be doing so on the basis of his interviews….and anyone can talk a good game 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

Whatever your feelings about NP it would be suicidal to fire him a matter of days before the January transfer window opens with all the work thats been put into it. The timing is all wrong. We could end up with no manager and no deals done. 
I still believe that NP is a capable manager but of course he  needs to get results and quickly. 

• Like 3

I notice that in another recent thread nearly 58% of 694 OTIB people voted to sack Pearson, with just only 42% voting to keep him.  To me that suggests that the silent majority on OTIB seem to have lost faith with him.  For me it’s all about this season now, i.e. who can keep us hope.  Sacking a manager in the Eve if the transfer window is a huge risk, but then so is persevering with the manager with one if the worst records in our history.  I admire those with strong convictions either way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

A battling committed performance is the minimum requirement from me and what I fully expected but not seen week in week out from a Pearson team.

A bad defeat where it looks like they have downed tools and I don’t see he has much time left.

Exactly, it is all about how we perform tonight?    If they give 100%, and stand tall....if they  give everything for the team and show they care....then whatever the result I won't complain?      Here's Hoping