IGNORED

Player transfer out that effected you the most?

Major Isewater

29 minutes ago, One Team said:

I don't think any of us begrudge a player leaving for bigger and better things (Brownhill), it’s when heroes move side ways or to a rival it hurts (Goater, Flint etc). 

It hurt that Goater left for a club that had been relegated! Whatever happened to Man City? You never hear of them any more. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Jersey Bristolian said:

Super Bob for me, never understood that move, didn't we get Carl Shut sort of included in the deal or alongside the deal?

We sold Shutt when we bought Taylor, not when we sold Bob.

I suppose all of those saying Bob regret us signing Dziekanowski then? Because that’s where all the money went.

It was well before forums & the like & I loved Bob, but he had lost his place when we sold him, the sublime Nicky Morgan & Wayne Allison were our front two & he was out of form.

Selling him proved to be a complete disaster by Lumsden, (just the 100 goals for them in his first spell) but hey, Dziekanowski flicked the ball up in the air a couple of times & stood around watching Shelton work his arse off whilst we got hammered 4-0 at Twerton, eh?

I was probably most gutted by Agostino, as he moved on for nothing (early Bosman) & we were pretty rubbish in Joe’s second spell & badly needed him.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

It hurt that Goater left for a club that had been relegated! Whatever happened to Man City? You never hear of them any more. 

Exactly why that one didn’t hurt for me, obvious why you join a team like that, even when we were incredibly a division above for that season.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Selling him proved to be a complete disaster by Lumsden, (just the 100 goals for them in his first spell) but hey, Dziekanowski flicked the ball up in the air a couple of times & stood around watching Shelton work his arse off whilst we got hammered 4-0 at Twerton, eh?

It has always surprised me that Jacki has such a big reputation with so many fans. For all his undoubted skills his contribution to the team was invariably negligible.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly why that one didn’t hurt for me, obvious why you join a team like that, even when we were incredibly a division above for that season.

It was the timing that hurt me.

Made sense for Man City, we both had 7 games left . 
We were 2 points behind Watford with a game in hand and I'm convinced we would have won the League if he'd stayed.
Man City were 1 point off the bottom of the table, even with Goaters 3 goals they got relegated. Terrible timing for us, missing the top spot by 3 points. 
We swapped places with them as we went up, then did the same going down the following year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

We sold Shutt when we bought Taylor, not when we sold Bob.

I suppose all of those saying Bob regret us signing Dziekanowski then? Because that’s where all the money went.

It was well before forums & the like & I loved Bob, but he had lost his place when we sold him, the sublime Nicky Morgan & Wayne Allison were our front two & he was out of form.

I was probably most gutted by Agostino, as he moved on for nothing (early Bosman) & we were pretty rubbish in Joe’s second spell & badly needed him.

We disagree about Dziekanowski, but you’re right about the timing. And it felt like bringing in Jacki was a deliberate move to placate fans after Bob Taylor’s departure. 

Yes, Agostino was up there for me too - and I often feel that (unlike Goater) because football was a bit more insular in those days and he went abroad, we lost sight a bit of just how well he did.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It has always surprised me that Jacki has such a big reputation with so many fans. For all his undoubted skills his contribution to the team was invariably negligible.

I loved him here. We were going everywhere and he lit up some very drab games. With Cole we always thought we had a chance. 
Leicester was a highlight, but little bits of magic could happen any time. Tranmere away , Sunderland away.

Most exciting , enjoyable relegation scrap ever , under Denis Smith. Jackie , Cole , Rosenior & Allison , could be shit, could be fun , watch the Millwall away game.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I loved him here. We were going everywhere and he lit up some very drab games. With Cole we always thought we had a chance. 
Leicester was a highlight, but little bits of magic could happen any time. Tranmere away , Sunderland away.

Most exciting , enjoyable relegation scrap ever , under Denis Smith. Jackie , Cole , Rosenior & Allison , could be shit, could be fun , watch the Millwall away game.

That kind of reinforces my point. We can pick out genuine highlights but most of the time, nothing.

I certainly wouldn't have taken him over Bob Taylor.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Precisely because of those skills. Graham is being a little disingenuous in his summary of Dziekanowski’s career with us: he could affect games single handedly, he could do things no-one else came near, he brought some glamour - and quite a few fans - to the club. 

Working hard wasn’t his game! He was an entirely different sort of player to Shelton. But a successful squad needs a Shelton and a Dzieksnowski. Trouble is we weren’t that good a squad at the time. 

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Spot on. Add Wolves to that list.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

That kind of reinforces my point. We can pick out genuine highlights but most of the time, nothing.

I certainly wouldn't have taken him over Bob Taylor.

He only played 40 ish games. Add the two Wolves games I’ve mentioned, plus the Ipswich game at home (the back heel flick and run that took out the whole Ipswich defence) and already you’ve got 7 of those 40 games that two of us can recall off the top of our heads some thirty years later.

I’d say that kind of reinforces the opposite point! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

He only played 40 ish games. Add the two Wolves games I’ve mentioned, plus the Ipswich game at home (the back heel flick and run that took out the whole Ipswich defence) and already you’ve got 7 of those 40 games that two of us can recall off the top of our heads some thirty years later.

I’d say that kind of reinforces the opposite point! 

Only 40 games may tell its own story but let's say he contributed significantly in 25% of those games. Is that conclusive?

I admit though that my view is coloured by irritation with a number of gifted players we have had (e.g. Noble, Jet, Tomlin) who have not had, shall we say, the mindset to make the most of their talents. Not that they are obliged to, different players have different priorities.

But these are just matters of opinion of course.

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Only 40 games may tell its own story but let's say he contributed significantly in 25% of those games. Is that conclusive?

I admit though that my view is coloured by irritation with a number of gifted players we have had (e.g. Noble, Jet, Tomlin) who have not had, shall we say, the mindset to make the most of their talents. Not that they are obliged to, different players have different priorities.

I think some of Jackie's problem was the manager after Smith. Denis Smith said he mad a mistake trying to make us more solid and not to attack so much. Fair enough, you can understand that, but he was followed by Russell Osman , who I hated. We went to a (pre season ?) talk with the manager. He had stated that if Jackie did well on a tour he would feature. He got good reviews in the Press but was dropped anyway, in favour of some of the most boring , dour football I've seen. 
I get he didn't do the hard yards, Dave Martin said they would be happy to do his running to allow him to produce some magic. But if the Manager doesn't see it that way, you're toast. 

Some loved him, the more pragmatic may have frowned on him, but we played some entertaining football with him in the team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I think some of Jackie's problem was the manager after Smith. Denis Smith said he mad a mistake trying to make us more solid and not to attack so much. Fair enough, you can understand that, but he was followed by Russell Osman , who I hated. We went to a (pre season ?) talk with the manager. He had stated that if Jackie did well on a tour he would feature. He got good reviews in the Press but was dropped anyway, in favour of some of the most boring , dour football I've seen. 
I get he didn't do the hard yards, Dave Martin said they would be happy to do his running to allow him to produce some magic. But if the Manager doesn't see it that way, you're toast. 

Some loved him, the more pragmatic may have frowned on him, but we played some entertaining football with him in the team.

Yes, all entirely fair points.

Martin Scott to Sunderland. IIRC he was starting to make a name for himself at Roger Park when he got badly injured and that was the end of his footballing career.

I was really pleased for Sir Gerry Gow to get the transfer to Man City and watch him in the FA Cup final twice in a week. What a player.

Jacki.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I’d still ask whether there’s any other player who’d be able to provide that instant recollection of a specific 25% of their games 30 years later.

I suppose the answer to your question is that it depends what you mean by “contributed”. Effective? Not always. Entertaining? You bet.
90 minutes week in week out yes Gary Shelton may have been more effective. (I’m using Shelton as the example because he was mentioned earlier - and I loved Shelton too). But a team of Gary Shelton’s week in week out would be a bloody boring watch!

The manager who rated “effectiveness” over everything else was one Russell Osman - and @1960maaan has already made that point (and it’s come up on another thread recently too). His idea of effective was to grind out a 0-0 every week, and was that godawful to watch.

I get what you’re saying about those gifted players. I’m not sure I’d include Tomlin who seemed intent to disrupt above all else. But I think part of the problem is that a successful side can live with, and make the best of, those players, whereas in a struggling side they stand out for the wrong reasons. Noble was a big part of that play off side and the play offs especially.

But at the end of the day they are entertaining - and that’s a big part of what football should be about. I’m happy to watch Messi wandering around for 85 minutes (although I think he’s actually doing a lot more than appears to be the case) in return for the 5 when he does something special. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember someone telling me a few years back that he missed the penalty v Burton deliberately and they were adamant too. I laughed at the time but have wondered since.

With the mess that bloke is, I seriously wouldn't put it past him.

But for balance,  there are some great moments from the bloke too.

Edited by AppyDAZE

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

With the mess that bloke is, I seriously wouldn't put it past him.

But for balance,  there are some great moments from the bloke too.

Yeah, worded along lines of the day he missed it, thst he was trying to get Lee Johnson the sack.

Without doubt some great moments especially but not limited to, his loan spell..think his overall productivity/output (goals, assists) dropped off massively round either late September or late October 2016.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You've got me thinking about JET now ?

But another good example: I still remember a game at Notts County. Lg 1, Notts Co v Bristol City, an entirely forgettable game. So much so that I can't even remember whether we drew or won. But whichever it was, we sealed in the 90th minute with a penalty. The first one of "those" JET penalties. And it was breathtaking (literally! - WTF are you doing?!!). I've remembered it ever since!

Just now, italian dave said:

You've got me thinking about JET now ?

But another good example: I still remember a game at Notts County. Lg 1, Notts Co v Bristol City, an entirely forgettable game. So much so that I can't even remember whether we drew or won. But whichever it was, we sealed in the 90th minute with a penalty. The first one of "those" JET penalties. And it was breathtaking (literally! - WTF are you doing?!!). I've remembered it ever since!

I may be a bit harsh on JET. He at least made an important contribution, albeit in League 1.