IGNORED

Swansea City at home in the FA Cup match thread

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

I’m sure you’ve had games where you would describe your performance after as garbage and it would have nothing to do with any of the statements you mention above. Sometimes you just turn up having prepared properly for the game and you just play crap, end of.

Exactly.  Sometimes up against an opponent just too good, or of a style / type I struggled against.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Not getting into an argument but consider that to be naive at best. Look at players we have moved on and honestly tell me they have been 100% committed to the cause.  It doesn't happen in any industry let alone football.

Well I think it’s incredibly naive to think every employee in every industry turns up every day and gives 100%, never takes a sicky, doesn’t take a long lunch, etc, etc.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly.  Sometimes up against an opponent just too good, or of a style / type I struggled against.

Well I think it’s incredibly naive to think every employee in every industry turns up every day and gives 100%, never takes a sicky, doesn’t take a long lunch, etc, etc.

I didn't say that though.

48 minutes ago, bbew said:

With regard point 3 - 

Atkinson is playing in the second tier of English of football, he trains for hours each day, is paid thousands of pounds a week and is playing on a near perfect surface -  surely he should be able to play a first time pass with his weaker foot!?

I agree. He should be able to. But he can’t. As was clearly demonstrated. 
He’s very left footed. Lots of players have a weaker foot which they are reluctant to use, even at the highest level. 

28 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I get what you are saying but the bloke is a pro and should be able to play a pass that whilst not as simple as it might have been should still be a piece of piss at Championship level. At that level your “weaker” foot ought to be ok for a first time ten yard pass even after a slight bobble.

Thats not to totally exonerate O’Leary who gave him a very ordinary pass and is the sort of detail he needs to improve on. But that doesn’t make what Atkinson did after ok.

I agree. As above, he should be able to make that pass, but he can’t. He’s not very good with his weaker foot. If he had time to control it and pass with his weaker foot, I’m sure he could do that, but as a first time pass, with a bobbling ball, on his weaker foot, he can’t do it. 
That’s not a detriment to Atkinson. He’s a 6 foot 4 inch centre back. He’s not in the team to be a cultured ball player with either foot. He has a weaker foot, much like many players, even at the top level. Messi rarely if ever uses his weaker foot. 

I’m not defending Atkinson here. He made a major error and it was an absolute howler. However, I’m also saying that Max didn’t really help the situation - if you get a chance, watch the replay. His pass is awful. He hits the top of the ball and it bounces to Atkinson, when it was a very simple 10 yard pass along the floor. 
It’s 100% Atkinson’s fault. No doubt. But I also think it was dreadfully sloppy from a keeper who has supposedly been brought in over another one because he’s a better passer!! 

26 minutes ago, LondonRobin said:

schooooooooool in the morning, made me laugh in their welsh accent. Fans were quiet first half in Dolman block by Swansea fans understandbly so given how shite we were and came out for the 2nd all buzzing and chanting away even before the goal, fair play to them 

There were a lot more in Dolman E34 second half , probably double those there in  1st half. It was good to see and raised the atmosphere another notch. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I agree. He should be able to. But he can’t. As was clearly demonstrated. 
He’s very left footed. Lots of players have a weaker foot which they are reluctant to use, even at the highest level. 

I agree. As above, he should be able to make that pass, but he can’t. He’s not very good with his weaker foot. If he had time to control it and pass with his weaker foot, I’m sure he could do that, but as a first time pass, with a bobbling ball, on his weaker foot, he can’t do it. 
That’s not a detriment to Atkinson. He’s a 6 foot 4 inch centre back. He’s not in the team to be a cultured ball player with either foot. He has a weaker foot, much like many players, even at the top level. Messi rarely if ever uses his weaker foot. 

I’m not defending Atkinson here. He made a major error and it was an absolute howler. However, I’m also saying that Max didn’t really help the situation - if you get a chance, watch the replay. His pass is awful. He hits the top of the ball and it bounces to Atkinson, when it was a very simple 10 yard pass along the floor. 
It’s 100% Atkinson’s fault. No doubt. But I also think it was dreadfully sloppy from a keeper who has supposedly been brought in over another one because he’s a better passer!! 

I agree on Max. Sloppy attention to detail and he’d be working on it this week if I was his GK Coach, 100%.

1 minute ago, Wealwayseatcheese said:

There were a lot more in Dolman E34 second half , probably double those there in  1st half. It was good to see and raised the atmosphere another notch. 

It looked like those who were in the lower tier first half got moved for the 2nd half. Was that right? There were definitely a number of fans in the lower tier at the start and then none later - I assume the stewards had moved them due to the Swansea fans taking over the netted area 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There are people in plenty of professions stealing a wage too though Dave. Just head over to Westminster!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Harry said:

It looked like those who were in the lower tier first half got moved for the 2nd half. Was that right? There were definitely a number of fans in the lower tier at the start and then none later - I assume the stewards had moved them due to the Swansea fans taking over the netted area 

Yes could be that but deffo fans from elsewhere in Dolman/ South stand made their way there, good to see.

12 minutes ago, lenred said:

Was there any actual incident?  

It was fantastic to have some atmosphere down there and added to a much better second half so hopefully our ‘esteemed Chairman’ will see that as a big positive (if indeed he takes any notice at all any more!) 

I met someone who has direct communications with JL at Coventry away (would be unfair to name them here), and he told me that Jon was actively against ‘vocal’ areas or any kind of expansion/change to the fan setup. He said that JL wanted to shut Section 82 down on numerous occasions last season. Sometimes for as little as bad language. 

When you hear that you realise the current atmosphere is exactly what the club wants. Sounds conspiratorial to suggest they’ve been purposefully diluting atmosphere over recent years but it’s 100% the case. 

So that’s what I was referring to when I said Jon would be raging. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I met someone who has direct communications with JL at Coventry away (would be unfair to name them here), and he told me that Jon was actively against ‘vocal’ areas or any kind of expansion/change to the fan setup. He said that JL wanted to shut Section 82 down on numerous occasions last season. Sometimes for as little as bad language. 

When you hear that you realise the current atmosphere is exactly what the club wants. Sounds conspiratorial to suggest they’ve been purposefully diluting atmosphere over recent years but it’s 100% the case. 

Yep it’s been clear for years and years that they want happy clappy people who sit on their hands, mind their ps and qs and only play very nicely like good boys and girls.   It’s pathetic and winds me up no end - makes us look weak and ever so inviting as a day out.   They aren’t football people - they just don’t get it.   I’m hopeful this new CEO, being ex Palace, does get it and will make some changes.   Won’t hold my breath mind! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

36 minutes ago, lenred said:

Yep it’s been clear for years and years that they want happy clappy people who sit on their hands, mind their ps and qs and only play very nicely like good boys and girls.   It’s pathetic and winds me up no end - makes us look weak and ever so inviting as a day out.   They aren’t football people - they just don’t get it.   I’m hopeful this new CEO, being ex Palace, does get it and will make some changes.   Won’t hold my breath mind! 

How much is dowm to the SAG too? Although they could be a bit of an easy target/scapegoat.

Get the impression too that Jon Lansdown is more avidly against the vocal fans side than his dad was although maybe they're properly aligned? I'll defer to others with more knowledge on this point.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How much is dowm to the SAG too? Although they could be a bit of an easy target/scapegoat.

Get the impression too that Jon Lansdown is more avidly against the vocal fans side than his dad was although maybe they're properly aligned? I'll defer to others with more knowledge on this point.

I don’t know anything about SAG organisationally but I presume it’s not exclusive to us and is at least a city wide thing? If so then the Gas fans are pretty near to their away terrace and tents? What about National examples? At most Prem games (even when it’s a supposed rivalry) there are a couple of lines of stewards or at most police and then they just crack on.  Same with the lights at night games.  Same with how the new stands were designed. Same with bitching and moaning about flags.     It just seems the Lansdowns are just desperate to have AG as a kindergarten rather than a hostile environment - or anything like it and it frustrates the heck out of me with how sterile it now is. It also makes me question the notion that JL ‘fell in love with the club’ at a young age. What did he fall in love with if it wasn’t the atmosphere? If it was 22 blokes kicking a ball then he could’ve got daddy to buy a far cheaper team but like most of us of his age and older I’d imagine it was the atmosphere - so why does he want it dead. Or was that just a bull story, made up to endear the family to the fans (rant at them not you ?)?     

Edited by lenred
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We gradually turned the screw / got into them.  The crowd were silent first half, second half they were much better, became a decent atmosphere second half.

Agree that the crowd got into it eventually but I miss when the kick off was met with loads of cheering, singing etc, something isn't right when the away fans sound more like the home fans on the TV. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think the Lansdown's idea of Utopia is for the football to have a Rugby atmosphere...........silence please when the Cardiff Centre Forward is stepping up to that injury time penalty................

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

I think the Lansdown's idea of Utopia is for the football to have a Rugby atmosphere...........silence please when the Cardiff Centre Forward is stepping up to that injury time penalty................

I dunno, Steve eventually seemed to approve the reopening of the East End- I get the impression he was more open minded than Jon about this issue, but again could be wrong.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
17 minutes ago, lenred said:

I don’t know anything about SAG but I presume it’s not exclusive to us and is at least a city wide thing? If so then the Gas fans are pretty near to their away terrace and tents? What about National examples? At most Prem games (even when it’s a supposed rivalry) there are a couple of lines of stewards or at most police and then they just crack on.  Same with the lights at night games.  Same with how the new stands were designed. Same with bitching and moaning about flags.     It just seems the Lansdowns are just desperate to have AG as a kindergarten rather than a hostile environment - or anything like it and it frustrates the heck out of me with how sterile it now is. It also makes me question the notion that JL ‘fell in love with the club’ at a young age. What did he fall in love with if it wasn’t the atmosphere? If it was 22 blokes kicking a ball then he could’ve got dad to but a far cheaper team but like most of us of his age and older I’d imagine it was the atmosphere - so why does he want it dead (rant at them not you ?)?     

Nationally It varies. All local authorities, let alone public events- it stands for (assuming you know, not everyone Possibly does) Safety Advisory Group.

Could make it for another thread but Sheffield United seem to have had some difficulties.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-united-told-intervene-warning-25363658

I don't know the specifics up there, the backstory etc.

Do you recall 3 and a half  years back when those who stood at the top of the Dolman received letters about it? Was certainly a discussion point on here- believe SAG had an important role in that..ours appear to be or have been quite secretive.

Could we be pre empting risk factors by taking a strict line in the first place?

The distance between vocal home fans and away fans must be one of the highest in the country tbh.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Nationally It varies. All local authorities, let alone public events- it stands for (assuming you know, not everyone Possibly does) Safety Advisory Group.

Could make it for another thread but Sheffield United seem to have had some difficulties.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-united-told-intervene-warning-25363658

I don't know the specifics up there, the backstory etc.

Do you recall 3 and a half  years back when those who stood at the top of the Dolman receicrd letters about ir? Was certainly a discussion point on here- believe SAG had an important role in that..ours appear to be or have been quite secretive.

Could we be pre empting risk factors by taking a strict line in the first place?

I went to the Cov game so read their forum and they were moaning as well so it’s definitely not just us.  But Cov seemed a very recent thing. 
What risks are they looking to mitigate? What happened between home and away fans when we have been near each other (other than Leeds when the bloke was in our actual end) that hasn’t happened anywhere else? What accidents happened when the lights were off for 35 mins of each half? What accident would an England flag cause? No don’t buy it sorry.  They want a ‘family atmosphere’ as they think that’s what puts bums on seats and couldn’t give two toms about atmosphere.   

2 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

“Would be unfair to name them here” -is that shorthand for “didn’t actually happen?” Colour me sceptical..

28 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The club as a whole see Section 82 as a complete and utter pain in the arse. That's not even a discussion!!!

So much so they put in rail seating, the nefarious barstewards ?

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, lenred said:

I went to the Cov game so read their forum and they were moaning as well so it’s definitely not just us.  But Cov seemed a very recent thing. 
What risks are they looking to mitigate? What happened between home and away fans when we have been near each other (other than Leeds when the bloke was in our actual end) that hasn’t happened anywhere else? What accidents happened when the lights were off for 35 mins of each half? What accident would an England flag cause? No don’t buy it sorry.  They want a ‘family atmosphere’ as they think that’s what puts bums on seats and couldn’t give two toms about atmosphere.   

I am sure I read something about Hull too a few months ago. All of this is open to argument and interpretation..SAGs do differ and apply/interpret the same rules and risk in a range of ways.

Put it this way I suspect the SAG would not be receptive to less segregation, or the idea of a much closer gap between home and away fans, which e.g. our livelier fans moving to E34 may entail.

The club may well be using it as a convenient holding position though for the reasons you state- ultimately neither me or you know for sure.