IGNORED

Swansea City at home in the FA Cup match thread

5 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Totally, if that was Vyner there would be a full on melt down. He passed it directly to an opponent that was directly in his eye line, when he had plenty of opportunity to make an easy pass. Doesn’t mean Max is without blame, but anyone suggesting Rob was without fault must be a relative. 

Agreed.

The only very tenuous tiny excuse was that it was on his wrong foot and that he was caught in two minds where to pass.

Lack of concentration which NP has pulled him up on before.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Ron W said:

If any? It was a hospital pass from MOL but an awful error. There was no-one anywhere near where he was passing it to.

True... However, like I implied, he was last man and being closed down fast.

Make that error in midfield, which happens often, as in closed down and misplaced pass, and it often goes unnoticed, is seen as part of the game, and often goes unpunished. And no one mentions it. 

The onus was on Max imo. He gave him the ball, knowing he had his back to play, and couldn't see he was being closed down. 

Everyone will blame Atkinson...if there is blame it's more pointed towards Max and whoever decided to tell them to play that way against Swansea... of all sides ?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Looks like it came off his toe on the BBC replay, just one of those things you don't expect to happen. Quite a cool finish to be fair, passing instead of lashing a shot which many would have in surprise at being gifted the ball.

Agree. He miscued it 

41 minutes ago, spudski said:

They forced the error.

They pressed Atkinson.

Their player had already started to close down Atkinson when Max chose to pass to him. He had his back to the player as well. 

A poor decision by Max and under pressure, a poor execution by Atkinson.

I don't put all the blame if any on Atkinson.

They were obviously asked to play this way against a Swansea team that excell at controlling the game in the opposition's half. That imo was a poor tactic by the management. 

We changed that idea. And performed better for it 

Also to add. 
1) O’Leary’s execution of the pass it terrible. He hits the top of the ball and it bobbles. What should have been a very straight forward pass along the floor became a ‘bobbler’. 
2) It was on Atkinson’s right foot. 
3) Atkinson is not exactly a prolific ‘ball-player’. He doesn’t have the technical ability to make a first time pass, especially on his weaker foot. 

The pass should never have been made by O’Leary, but the execution by him was awful and the subsequent howler from Atkinson was awful! 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Thanks. 

On second look I still don’t think we should be playing there. We aren’t good enough (as proved). That said, it’s very sloppy from Atkinson. Summed up the first period where we were off the pace and overran in the middle of the pitch. Once we started to put Swans under pressure in the second half it should their fragilities. We made them look like Brazil in the first half. 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Harry said:

Also to add. 
1) O’Leary’s execution of the pass it terrible. He hits the top of the ball and it bobbles. What should have been a very straight forward pass along the floor became a ‘bobbler’. 
3) Atkinson is not exactly a prolific ‘ball-player’. He doesn’t have the technical ability to make a first time pass, especially on his weaker foot. 

The pass should never have been made by O’Leary, but the execution by him was awful and the subsequent howler from Atkinson was awful! 

I totally agree. And the execution of passing, distribution and throw ins has increasingly become lazy imo. Balls very rarely passed crisply to feet and to the correct side to receive. It's often having to be controlled like a hot potato being lobbed at you. We did in the past...it's become very noticeable of late.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, spudski said:

True... However, like I implied, he was last man and being closed down fast.

Make that error in midfield, which happens often, as in closed down and misplaced pass, and it often goes unnoticed, is seen as part of the game, and often goes unpunished. And no one mentions it. 

That's true, but not if it leads to a goal. Aaronson was a good example for Leeds against West Ham on Wednesday and got rightly criticised.

Edited by Ron W
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

We are being totally outplayed all over the pitch (except our penalty area) by a team currently in 15th. They are light years ahead of us, and this is probably our strongest team. I don’t think we have what it takes to stay in this division.

Corrected for you. ???

They actually created very few chances (only had one shot first half - the goal).  Got into good situations, but they aren’t that clinical in our third.

A good team would’ve put us away, not allowed us back into the game as they did,

• Like 2

Shit goal for us to give away yet again. Max saw the bigger picture and played big Rob into trouble IMO and, as a left-footer in my heyday, I’d be fuming with Max for playing me into trouble if I was Atkinson. Max needed to put his foot through it. 

Thought we did OK, mind, after a slow start. Not for the first time, the ref was completely clueless. If he’s one of the best we have in this country, god help us.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You would have thought so but, instead they blame NP for Atkinson's pass, but we only equalised as keeper could have saved it and did not.

They put a negative spin on anything to match their agenda, love it when we are losing just so they can say told you so, look how intelligent I must be.

We gave them a goaL...........and then equalised with an excellent header that bounced in front of the keepers dive.   We will now almost certainly lose the replay....so it is pretty much a waste of time and money.  says it all IMO?

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

I totally agree. And the execution of passing, distribution and throw ins has increasingly become lazy imo. Balls very rarely passed crisply to feet and to the correct side to receive. It's often having to be controlled like a hot potato being lobbed at you. We did in the past...it's become very noticeable of late.

I don't see enough City games to be sure but I see us passing to feet a lot with defenders close on our heels when I think the better coached teams play the ball into space, away from the marking defender so that the receiver can run onto it and possibly draw another defender out of position. Just a small detail, otherwise I agree our touch on the ball can be poor.

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Atkinson is getting a very easy ride for his part in it. Far moreso than others would, mentioning no names...

Thought he did very well after the mistake (he was definitely culpable).  Put in some very good challenges after a ropey couple of minutes after the goal.  

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There were more full-blooded 50:50s in this game than I’ve seen for ages.  Proper tackles, hard and fair.  Nice to see.

(lots of stupid tippy-tally fall over nothing tackles too)

Andi left his leg hanging in one challenge which was really obvious, really weak  - lucky to get away with it.  

3 hours ago, Dan Robin said:

Has anybody on this forum some strong connections with the board? If a minimum number of supporters could make some pressure about the problem ,both in a private way and on all the club's social medias, maybe...

You can join a march next Saturday, starts at the 3 Lions!??‍♂️

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

There’s your typical football swearing (which you accept even though it can be a bit over the top) and then there is excessive swearing over and above. 

There is a family stand for those who don’t enjoy it or want to engage. It’s football (although tbf I don’t know exactly what you are referring to so if it was something out of the ordinary I apologise). 

Edited by lenred
3 hours ago, Spike said:

I've switched on the game on the 50th and we seem to be battling but not getting anywhere. I mean we just had two good chances and nothing, the players are doing the best that they can but I can understand why they're frustrated when they only time the fans seem to get behind them is when we almost scored but then it turns to groans again. 

I don't see what the players can do if they're giving their all and the fans are silent, that's got to be a real morale killer, especially when a lot of them may not be here next season. 

We gradually turned the screw / got into them.  The crowd were silent first half, second half they were much better, became a decent atmosphere second half.

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, spudski said:

Agree with this  Spud. I've been saying for ages that our passing is lazy. Watch next time we play it square across the back line. More often than not the pass goes behind the player forcing him onto the back foot. Our players always seem to be facing our goal when they receive the ball. It's why our play seems so slow and negative imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jon Lansdown will be raging with what happened in A block second half but surprise surprise having vocal home fans next to the away end makes a massive difference to the atmosphere. Changes the feel of the stadium. Tells teams we aren’t their bitches like that mans Brazilian wife said. 

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Harry said:

Also to add. 

With regard point 3 - 

Atkinson is playing in the second tier of English of football, he trains for hours each day, is paid thousands of pounds a week and is playing on a near perfect surface -  surely he should be able to play a first time pass with his weaker foot!?

Edited by bbew
  • Like 2