IGNORED

Swansea City at home in the FA Cup match thread

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Of course vocal home support makes a a difference, for the better. Nobody would argue against that.

Would say the move to all-seater has had an impact across the board though in this area. In the sense that it is a modern accepted rule of thumb that away supporters will generally stand as a large proportion. Safe standing tips the balance a bit but our area is both too small and too far from the away fans to perhaps spread the atmosphere.

I'm not sure I'm explaining this very well but all seater has given away fans a much bigger voice (proportionally) than home fans. Some clubs are much more badly affected than others, post redevelopment a typical game has perhaps been quieter even if bigger attendances.

Quite a few Premier League fans stand all game in areas that aren’t safe standing been doing it for years. As others have said, close to away fans as well. 

12 minutes ago, One Team said:

Quite a few Premier League fans stand all game in areas that aren’t safe standing been doing it for years. As others have said, close to away fans as well. 

Different SAGs seem to get pissy about it, perhaps it  varies by area.

Do you remember in 2019 when season ticket holders received letters about standing persistently at the back of Dolman and South Stand? I suspect SAG had been onto the club.

Club certainly implied as much at the time. From late August 2019.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/statement-persistent-standing/

Of course the other possibility is that they were neatly aligned with the SAG but ours seem quite pernickety.

I think the biggest victory we can get is a large and suitably located safe standing area but from what I understand of the regs, thst would mean zero tolerance to persistent standing elsewhere in the ground.

I get the impression that our SAG are quite content wirh the distance from away fans. What extra costs in police and stewarding? The club may not mind not having to shell out too!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
1 hour ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Judging by Twitter the young uns are buzzing off ‘E34’ from the weekend. Sounds like it’s well under way. Time to get some ******* life back in the stadium. 

We are the A block, we are the A block, we are the A block Ashton Gate… 

Let’s hope they are up for it on Saturday - the team need our support big time and we need the three points!

Funny thing is tbis is just s recurring theme. Cyclical, circular.

Mid 2000s when campaign to reopen East End on a long term basis, was a block of the Dolman not commandeered basically by noisier fans, possibly Block G?

A lot of supporting us seems to be circular and cyclical, recurring themes in all manner of ways 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Funny thing is tbis is just s recurring theme. Cyclical, circular.

Mid 2000s when campaign to reopen East End on a long term basis, was a block of the Dolman not commandeered basically by noisier fans, possibly Block G?

A lot of supporting us seems to be circular and cyclical, recurring themes in all manner of ways 

Block B wasn’t it? When they used to give (sometimes) Block A to away fans. Block B prominent against Millwall just after the Luton riot, Portsmouth, Sheff U in the play offs etc? I think… memory has gone. 

3 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Block B wasn’t it? When they used to give (sometimes) Block A to away fans. Block B prominent against Millwall just after the Luton riot, Portsmouth, Sheff U in the play offs etc? I think… memory has gone. 

Ah we are possibly talking different eras. This sounds like before my time...Seen the trouble v Portsmouth from early 1990s online however.

I am thinking of mid 2000's, a group could it have been the Subbers, popped up in Dolman Block G iirc or was it the lower half of what is now E28?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah we are possibly talking different eras. This sounds like before my time...Seen the trouble v Portsmouth from early 1990s online however.

I am thinking of mid 2000's, a group could it have been the Subbers, popped up in Dolman Block G iirc or was it the lower half of what is now E28?

Ah, sorry, yep, you’re right, I’m think of an earlier time. 

7 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Bristol Live headline today

Math Withers' take on FA Cup frustration

This just about sums up the quality of spell-checking and editing on this site. Total embarrassment.

Just a fraction of how good it should be. It's pretty basic. Explains why numbers are falling.

Some of the things they write don't seem to add up, including multiple inaccuracies. No wonder readers are divided.

With so many seemingly obtuse reporters, it's hard to work out their angle. but not an unsolvable problem.

Sorry to seem so negative, However, on the plus side, all things being equal, by my calculation, there is potential for better times.

I had hoped to be more discrete, but their continuous mistakes provided the proof I needed.

You can accuse me of hawking an opinion, but you don't have to be Einstein to agree with my theory, Relatively speaking, of course.

As the maths teacher sat in the stands, watching his favorite team take on their rivals, he couldn't help but feel a sense of frustration. The team's performance was an exponent of failure, and they seemed to be making mistake after mistake. The commentator was trying to find the derivative of the player's speed, but he was at a loss.

The coach tried to rally the team with a pep talk, but it was a complete non sequitur. The maths teacher shook his head, knowing that the match was a real integral part of the season and they needed to step up their game.

He leaned over to his neighbor and whispered, "It's a tough equation to balance, trying to cover both maths and football." The neighbor nodded in agreement.

As the second half began, the team's defense was as solid as a geometric proof. The coach was trying to strategize, but his plan was full of variables. The math teacher crossed his fingers, hoping that they could pull off a win.

But in the end, it was not to be. The other team scored a goal and the match ended in defeat. The math teacher sighed, knowing that the team had missed an opportunity to solve the problem and come out on top. He made a mental note to brush up on his probability skills before the next game, hoping that it would give his team an advantage.

• Confused 1
7 hours ago, pongo88 said:

This sounds ok until you think about it. Two hundred people moving to A block would be scattered in amongst the existing people who go there, and not grouped together as the are in their current corner location. Plus, the biggest problem, they would all stand up with the people who like to sit telling them to sit down. Standing and sitting doesn’t work. It’s a recipe for disaster 

There are 180 season ticket holders in the whole of block A. 
There are 600 spare seats. 
195 spare in the lower section alone. 

No reason why it ought to upset anyone. 

A further 60 seats free in the lower part of block B too. With another 360 spare in the upper part. 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

There are 180 season ticket holders in the whole of block A. 
There are 600 spare seats. 
195 spare in the lower section alone. 

No reason why it ought to upset anyone. 

A further 60 seats free in the lower part of block B too. With another 360 spare in the upper part. 

It’s simple. If 600 / 795 people move to Block A and 360 / 420 move to Black B, and stand up, they will block the view of the current season ticket holders in these sections plus those in block C and D when the play is in the corner of the pitch at the Atyeo end. This subject crops up on a regular basis and the obvious facts are always ignored. 

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It’s simple. If 600 / 795 people move to Block A and 360 / 420 move to Black B, and stand up, they will block the view of the current season ticket holders in these sections plus those in block C and D when the play is in the corner of the pitch at the Atyeo end. This subject crops up on a regular basis and the obvious facts are always ignored. 

How far back in A block do you sit? Did you have to stand up on Sunday vs Swansea? 
Yep, I’m sure such a move en masse like this may unsettle a few. Just to be clear, I’m in the family stand so I won’t be part of it. 
But it seems that many fans agree that this is the best place for atmos, but it would clearly upset a few already in situ. I suppose it’s a case of what’s better for the greater good. 

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

There was regular persistent standing in both blocks A and B for years previously and this was never an issue 

9 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

There was regular persistent standing in both blocks A and B for years previously and this was never an issue 

Was there? I had a ticket in B Block from the season they started building on the Open End circa 93 until 2017, I remember standing a bit, but never all the time. Certainly it was a very vocal section and the area of choice for many naughty boys, ee out of Massive attack and ee off the telly!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, frenchred said:

And a lot of them are the same people now! :laugh:

Yes, I was going to say, I can’t imagine many of the folk in there now giving a shit, it’s not like trying to start a vocal section in the cushion seats of the Lansdown, although that would be a laugh…  

13 minutes ago, adamski said:

Was there? I had a ticket in B Block from the season they started building on the Open End circa 93 until 2017, I remember standing a bit, but never all the time. Certainly it was a very vocal section and the area of choice for many naughty boys, ee out of Massive attack and ee off the telly!

More so A block to be fair! Memory is naff though. Are you referring to Del Naja? Don’t remember that. Did see him eating a goat curry in The concourse recently though…

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
3 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Yes, I was going to say, I can’t imagine many of the folk in there now giving a shit, it’s not like trying to start a vocal section in the cushion seats of the Lansdown, although that would be a laugh…  

More so A block to be fair! Memory is naff though. Are you referring to Del Naja? Don’t remember that. Did see him eating a goat curry in The concourse recently though…

I am, used to sit 4 rows in front of me, used to be full of stars and Mr Scott from ITN ????- I hasten to add that these were not trouble makers/seat throwers/pitch invaders or punch throwers...