IGNORED

Swansea City at home in the FA Cup match thread

2 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Jon Lansdown will be raging with what happened in A block second half but surprise surprise having vocal home fans next to the away end makes a massive difference to the atmosphere. Changes the feel of the stadium. Tells teams we aren’t their bitches like that mans Brazilian wife said. 

I noticed some standing 1st half too but spot on, in Upper E34 in old money A Block, there seemed to be noisy, vocal standing home fans and tbis really helped along with the improved performance, though the two pushed each other on probably.

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Fair enough, poor from the club then.   I think there should always be the option for families to be away from the more ‘involved’ members of our fanbase.   

Like you say, you expect sweating at football. I do. For my eldest it wasn’t a major issue - yet my 6 year old attending her first game (when tickets are reasonably priced), little different. 

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Rewards for playing need to be more performance based with a basic wage. We'd all take a footballers wage for doing nowt any time.

I think you’ll find that most contracts are made up of basic plus appearance money these days…and other bonuses.

And the “doing nothing” really pisses me off.  They aren’t just paid for playing in a match, their wage is earned by also undertaking training, tactical stuff etc, not forgetting travel, etc.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Jon Lansdown will be raging with what happened in A block second half but surprise surprise having vocal home fans next to the away end makes a massive difference to the atmosphere. Changes the feel of the stadium. Tells teams we aren’t their bitches like that mans Brazilian wife said. 

Who’s Jon Lansdown ?

• Haha 3
5 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Nige singled him out for praise afterwards, that he'd recovered well after the mistake and didn't dwell on it.

Ahhh that’s good to hear.   Deserves it.  He was ropey for a couple of minutes after and thought he may shrink but luckily he went the other way.  Came around on his own after the game to applaud as well which given some fans possible reaction was also good to see.   Hopefully this will now spur him on and a positive will come out of the negative.   

• Like 4
2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Well that 2nd half display has upset  few who could not wait to berate NP 

Although according to the bedwetters Semenyo only scored due to the keeper diving out the way, but fail to compliment the good pressure and build up and AS jumping, beating his man with a downward header.

Looked more likely to win in the end, also having now seen multiple angles replays very unlucky to to have had at least 1 penalty.

Could do without a replay and injuries are massive concern, but atleast keeps the boo boys quiet

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Using their very own logic then surely Swansea only went ahead because of an error by us? 

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Meaning:- negative panickers who can't wait to rush and post any old rubbish to belittle and attack players or manager, often with quips thinking they are being clever or funny

In the modern day where everything is divisive and black or white the usual hardliners will pop up when the narrative suits them (which it seems you are now doing, albeit in your mind retaliatory).

Objectively though, if City come out and don't look capable of competing for the first half, irrespective of how calamitous the goal was, it seems pretty fair to assess that the manager hasn't got his team right, either tactically, motivation, individual roles, whatever. The gaffer takes responsibility for a poor half of football, surely?

Equally, if the manager makes corrections, sends the team out for the second half fired up, and makes the right substitutions, the manager then deserves credit.

So it perfectly acceptable for a manager, Nige in this case, to be both criticised and praised in one game, usually in games like today when it was half good, half bad. Same goes for the Swansea manager. Ultimately our fans will be more disappointed because it was a home game.

And if you look at the bigger picture, I personally thing Pearson deserves both praise and criticism for his tenure at City. Much like LJ's time, there have been positives and negatives.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, mozo said:

In the modern day where everything is divisive and black or white the usual hardliners will pop up when the narrative suits them (which it seems you are now doing, albeit in your mind retaliatory).

Objectively though, if City come out and don't look capable of competing for the first half, irrespective of how calamitous the goal was, it seems pretty fair to assess that the manager hasn't got his team right, either tactically, motivation, individual roles, whatever. The gaffer takes responsibility for a poor half of football, surely?

Equally, if the manager makes corrections, sends the team out for the second half fired up, and makes the right substitutions, the manager then deserves credit.

So it perfectly acceptable for a manager, Nige in this case, to be both criticised and praised in one game, usually in games like today when it was half good, half bad. Same goes for the Swansea manager. Ultimately our fans will be more disappointed because it was a home game.

And if you look at the bigger picture, I personally thing Pearson deserves both praise and criticism for his tenure at City. Much like LJ's time, there have been positives and negatives.

I have not a problem with that, its aimed at those who are so negative and moan constantly and can't wait to snipe at the any error, that they then twist to match their agenda. They also disappear and go quiet when its going well or like the 2nd half when we turned it around and the comments are made to look stupid!

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
51 minutes ago, Harry said:

Also to add. 
1) O’Leary’s execution of the pass it terrible. He hits the top of the ball and it bobbles. What should have been a very straight forward pass along the floor became a ‘bobbler’. 
2) It was on Atkinson’s right foot. 
3) Atkinson is not exactly a prolific ‘ball-player’. He doesn’t have the technical ability to make a first time pass, especially on his weaker foot. 

The pass should never have been made by O’Leary, but the execution by him was awful and the subsequent howler from Atkinson was awful! 

I get what you are saying but the bloke is a pro and should be able to play a pass that whilst not as simple as it might have been should still be a piece of piss at Championship level. At that level your “weaker” foot ought to be ok for a first time ten yard pass even after a slight bobble.

Thats not to totally exonerate O’Leary who gave him a very ordinary pass and is the sort of detail he needs to improve on. But that doesn’t make what Atkinson did after ok.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Swansea looked a better team, without creating anything or causing us problems. Apart from a give-away goal they didn't have a shot on target until about 80 minutes . We didn't really cause them problems until we changed shape , but if we were allowed Pens we could easily have nicked it. 

Hope Weimann is OK, forgot you could only use Subs in 3 spells and wondered why Pearson was telling him to go off. 
Probably a fair result, but I really want to see the 2/3 Pen shouts again. In real time I thought there were 2 decent Penalty appeals.

If we passed it around with no end product, many fans would be given the manager / players a load of shit.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you’ll find that most contracts are made up of basic plus appearance money these days…and other bonuses.

And the “doing nothing” really pisses me off.  They aren’t just paid for playing in a match, their wage is earned by also undertaking training, tactical stuff etc, not forgetting travel, etc.  

Like we do in our jobs Dave.  How many hours a day does an average footballer "work" ?  I'm sure plenty on here would like to earn the same as their basic.

Edited by BigTone
1 hour ago, Harry said:

Also to add. 
1) O’Leary’s execution of the pass it terrible. He hits the top of the ball and it bobbles. What should have been a very straight forward pass along the floor became a ‘bobbler’. 
2) It was on Atkinson’s right foot. 
3) Atkinson is not exactly a prolific ‘ball-player’. He doesn’t have the technical ability to make a first time pass, especially on his weaker foot. 

The pass should never have been made by O’Leary, but the execution by him was awful and the subsequent howler from Atkinson was awful! 

I made the same points as 1 and 2 on twitter.

47 minutes ago, maxjak said:

We gave them a goaL...........and then equalised with an excellent header that bounced in front of the keepers dive.   We will now almost certainly lose the replay....so it is pretty much a waste of time and money.  says it all IMO?

There is no such thing as as a waste of money in our financial situation.

12 minutes ago, mozo said:

The problem is some are very quick to criticise Pearson, and then go strangely quiet when it comes to giving any praise.

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Like we do in our jobs Dave.  How many hours a day does an average footballer "work" ?

I would estimate an average of 37 hours per week over 6 days.

(taking into account travelling if an away game)

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1

Atkinson should be able to deal with that ball on any foot or he should not be a professional footballer. 
I thought we were terrible first half, completely lost the midfield, 2nd half by far the better side and with a little more composure from some good attacking areas we would have won the game.

31 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

schooooooooool in the morning, made me laugh in their welsh accent. Fans were quiet first half in Dolman block by Swansea fans understandbly so given how shite we were and came out for the 2nd all buzzing and chanting away even before the goal, fair play to them 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The problem is some are very quick to criticise Pearson, and then go strangely quiet when it comes to giving any praise.

That's definitely the case, and has been with every manager (probably at every club).

Between the bedwetters and the happy clappers there are a load of people getting caught up in the nonsense.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But you said “for doing nowt”.

Comparing wages is a pointless argument.

Dave, you know as well as I do many players are stealing a wage. They get paid an amount but show zero enthusiasm. Many many posters on here have expressed the same opinion.

Edited by BigTone
1 hour ago, Out of his pie crust said:

Enjoyed the second half and glad I went down there in the end. COYR. Good applause for Atkinson at end despite the mistake 

I gave him a clap. I'd already admolished MOL and him at the time or the goal. No need to beat them up about it after. He didn't let it affect his game, which was good.

42 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Was there any actual incident?  

It was fantastic to have some atmosphere down there and added to a much better second half so hopefully our ‘esteemed Chairman’ will see that as a big positive (if indeed he takes any notice at all any more!) 

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I gave him a clap. I'd already admolished MOL and him at the time or the goal. No need to beat them up about it after. He didn't let it affect his game, which was good.

Tbh the mistakes leading up to their goal would have been the least of Pearson’s issues at half time. Obviously they have to stop happening but the big issue we have is a midfield that just doesn’t function for anything remotely near 90 minutes.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Dave, you know as well as I go many players are stealing a wage. They get paid an amount but show zero enthusiasm. Many many posters on here have expressed the same opinion.

No, I don’t think they do actually.  It’s supply and demand, the nature of the profession.

Lots of posters are lazy in their expressions of their opinion.

Stealing a Wage is one

Not on the bus is another

Fallen out with the manager another

Lg1 at best another

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Am sure we got away with something similar not long before, I'm all for playing out from the back, the patience game but that was poor execution and lack of awareness.

We usually don't gain any advantage by trying to play out from the back: we execute a series of somewhat risky passes around the defence then MOL clears it long. It turns out to be a pointless exercise 90% of the time.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I totally agree. And the execution of passing, distribution and throw ins has increasingly become lazy imo. Balls very rarely passed crisply to feet and to the correct side to receive. It's often having to be controlled like a hot potato being lobbed at you. We did in the past...it's become very noticeable of late.

We were doing it near the start of the season, and I expect everyone else thought the same as me at the time: we'd finally upgraded our Park League basic skill package. I guess we must have cancelled our free trial and downgrated back to the incompetent package.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, I don’t think they do actually.  It’s supply and demand, the nature of the profession.

Stealing a Wage is one

Lg1 at best another

I’m sure you’ve had games where you would describe your performance after as garbage and it would have nothing to do with any of the statements you mention above. Sometimes you just turn up having prepared properly for the game and you just play crap, end of.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Stealing a Wage is one

Lg1 at best another

Not getting into an argument but consider that to be naive at best. Look at players we have moved on and honestly tell me they have been 100% committed to the cause.  It doesn't happen in any industry let alone football.

• Like 1