IGNORED

After Lineker, who next?

Lack of Action Man

Not specifically city related. But I'm watching Fa Cup on BBC and I'm bored.

Lineker must be coming up on retirement soon. 3 seasons time maybe? 5 tops?

Not since the final end of Big Des Lynam's reign will we see such a seismic change in football hosting/punditry. 

So who next for you as lead presenter?

Jermaine Jenas looked like he was the favourite at one stage...

2 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

She will indeed, Is she your preferred choice? I think she's a pretty good choice, but then I'm not entirely certain who else is in the mix really.

Not my preferred choice but the BBC are determined to try and make Women's representation in football equal to men's. Not going to get into the politics of it tbh.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Not specifically city related. But I'm watching Fa Cup on BBC and I'm bored.

Lineker must be coming up on retirement soon. 3 seasons time maybe? 5 tops?

Not since the final end of Big Des Lynam's reign will we see such a seismic change in football hosting/punditry. 

So who next for you as lead presenter?

Jermaine Jenas looked like he was the favourite at one stage...

Fair play to Lineker still being able to work while taking in all those refugees

• Haha 12
  • Hmmm 1

He’s far and away the best football  presenter, simply because he has been there and done it. And (admittedly in a field of cosy, bland, non-informative golf club types) he’s actually the best pundit too. He’s come along way and while I appreciate his ‘wider’ opinions aren’t to some tastes (though right up my street for the record), at least he actually has some and can express them intelligently.

As for who replaces him, Gabby Logan is the most competent but in terms of footballers? Hhhmmm.

Edited by steveybadger
  • Like 11
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

He’s far and away the best football  presenter, simply because he has been there and done it. And (admittedly in a field of cosy, bland, non-informative golf club types) he’s actually the best pundit too. He’s come along way and while I appreciate his ‘wider’ opinions aren’t to some tastes (though right up my street for the record), at least he actually has some and can express them intelligently.

As for who replaces him, Gabby Logan is the most competent but in terms of footballers? Hhhmmm.

If it is going to be a Woman then Gabby Logan is a great shout tbf.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Colin Murray. 

This is a great shout. And also, (I could be alone in this opinion) - he seems to have a soft spot for us? Granted we aren't in the prem, but when he was presenter of the football league highlights he always (to me) seemed to have a good word to say or spent slightly longer discussing us with their 'rent-a-pundit' than other teams.

Really like him on fighting talk on Radio 5Live as well. Top show.

• Like 3

Alex Scott is the worst presenter I have seen fronting live football, she is only there because she is female and black. Fronting live sport requires a level of clarity and depth of understanding and she lacks it. In my view the perfect example of someone in a position due to her characteristics rather than talent.

Before people moan there are some outstanding female presenters out there, Balding is clearly brilliant as is Emma Patton, Emma Saunders and the Italian sky football reporter. They are far superior to Scott.

Edited by Vidal
  • Like 11
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 6

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Easy to knock Lineker because of the politics and stuff, but he is pretty good at his job. 

And anyhow, why is it such a crime to have left leaning views and air them?

I like the guy.

I was tempted to preface this thread by saying I wasn't wanting to bring his political views into it, but thought against it.

Just keen to chat about who his successor will be really.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’d go for Colin Murray but don’t think it will be him. In terms of ex-footballers, I reckon Micah Richards might be in the frame.

Not keen for Micah Richards... yet.

Give it a few years and we could be in business.

Just now, Vidal said:

Alex Scott is the worst presenter I have seen fronting live football, she is only there because she is female and black. Fronting live sport requires a level of clarity and depth of understanding and she lacks it. In my view the perfect example of someone in a position due to her characteristics rather than talent.

Before people moan there are some outstanding female presenters out there, Balding is clearly brilliant as is Emma Patton, Emma Saunders and the Italian sky football reporter. They are set superior to Scott.

Laura Woods was the best of the ITV world cup anchors. Put cliche factory Pougatch to shame in my opinion.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Vidal said:

Before people moan there are some outstanding female presenters out there, Balding is clearly brilliant as is Emma Patton, Emma Saunders and the Italian sky football reporter. They are far superior to Scott.

Gabby Logan is a better "presenter" than all of them imo and that is the position that would be up for grabs.

Chappers has presented MOTD 2 so if it was a straightforward promotion you would expect him to be given the gig.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2