IGNORED

After Lineker, who next?

Lack of Action Man

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Nobody has mentioned Jermaine Jenas, I thought the BBC were grooming him for that sort of role? He's obviously got the football credentials, but needed to do the anchor style work, that's why he does the One Show etc.

Not sure being groomed by the BBC is what anyone would want.

• Haha 10
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure being groomed by the BBC is what anyone would want.

Yes, poor choice of words. 

I like JJ though, seems smart enough and comfortable with a cross section of people. Played at the top level, shame his body wasn't up to it, but can talk from authority.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Well ITV use Pougatch for both Football and Rugby. She is the best presenter, male or female and that is the point. Family connections to both sports. Former gymnast. 

I find Pougatch very "Smashy and Nicey". Comes across as desperate to convince you that he's a funny guy who's best mates with the pros. Grates on me personally.

Logan is far more natural and comes across as genuinely wanting to present the sporting occasion to the viewer. She'd be a top choice.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, eardun said:

Whoever gets the gig, I hope people give them time. People forget how poor Lineker was when he started out  - very wooden - but he is clearly excellent now.

If it was Gabby Logan or a male equivalent such as Chappers they are already presenters and wouldn’t need time. It’s only an issue if you appoint an ex-footballer to the role.

On 07/01/2023 at 20:11, Numero Uno said:

It doesn't BUT the rub is that if everyone is equal and gender is irrelevant then people have just as much right to express an opinion that Alex Scott is shit at punditry as they do Lee Hendrie for example.

That's fine, if that's someone's opinion. But the OP said that he had a problem with women pundits

7 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

So it's not the fact that they're women, it's the presenters themselves? 

Gender is irrelevant. Gabby Logan is an excellent sports presenter but the majority of female football pundits are wooden. Emma Hayes is an exception - she very insightful and really knows her stuff.

7 hours ago, 2015 said:

James Richardson. Consistently the best Football presenter since the Football Italia days. Good for a one liner. BBC would never want him though, I won't explain the reasons why but it's obvious.

Would love this but don’t think the BBC would want to face the right wing howls for replacing Lineker with someone so strongly anti-Tory and anti-Brexit. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

Would love this but don’t think the BBC would want to face the right wing howls for replacing Lineker with someone so strongly anti-Tory and anti-Brexit. 

Someone with those political views would be a seamless fit for the beeb.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

Not sure that would be the reason. He's a great presenter anyway regardless of his views, and has always been underrated.

Don't care if he is a Tory or anti Tory tbh, if they do a good job then good