IGNORED

Alleged takeover chat

Ska Junkie

3 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

A merger would have to be combining the best bits of each club to make something stronger or better, I cannot think of 1 single thing the gas could offer us as the clubs have moved miles apart over recent years

Players - no

ground - no

owner - no

or perhaps I am missing something that could make it worth our while

Tents - yes

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I’ve done this before and it’s not original but…

If we were to merge the Gas can keep the ‘ Bristol ‘ part of their name and we keep ‘ City ‘, the new club would be known as ‘ Bristol City ‘ .

Plus, we keep City’s red shirts and Rovers can keep their white shorts. The problem would be the mascot as it would be something sad like this. 

5100DC25-C32E-49E8-A26A-0BEBF2C22331.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seen it suggested today that in the event of a sale (including the rugby etc), asking price would be about £100m.

Surely we would need to reach or be on the cusp of PL football to reach that asking price? Even with the other sports involved.

Ha. Club rugby is like a giant noose around the neck at the moment. I wouldn’t touch investing in it as there is huge uncertainty in how viable it is in the medium term - Shame as pre covid it looked in really good shape. 

Im guessing the/any price is based on future revenue projections 

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seen it suggested today that in the event of a sale (including the rugby etc), asking price would be about £100m.

Surely we would need to reach or be on the cusp of PL football to reach that asking price? Even with the other sports involved.

Stadium, 2x training grounds, 2x playing squads, presumably Bristol Sport Ltd and associated IP is part of it as well if its Rugby + City.

All of that together and I don't see £100m as a crazy price. A high price yes, but not mindboggling.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

36 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Ha. Club rugby is like a giant noose around the neck at the moment. I wouldn’t touch investing in it as there is huge uncertainty in how viable it is in the medium term - Shame as pre covid it looked in really good shape. 

Im guessing the/any price is based on future revenue projections 

Possibly yes, although the Rugby even pre Covid was making moderate losses in the main but seemed on an upward curve. Still are making moderate losses.

Yes projections on future revenue would make sense- pretty expensive lottery ticket, especially with the Championship currently weighted as it is towards Parachute clubs!

34 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Stadium, 2x training grounds, 2x playing squads, presumably Bristol Sport Ltd and associated IP is part of it as well if its Rugby + City.

All of that together and I don't see £100m as a crazy price. A high price yes, but not mindboggling.

Agreed to some extent, when you put it that way- just trying to think of comparables really. If we ever do get up then we could take off but what sort of ROI would a new owner be looking at- cash  investment, timeframes etc.

In a Championship with FFP and Parachute Payments aligned with £39m Upper Loss Limit...hmm.

Would it be a 3 year plan? What if we falter.

What if 3 year loss headroom was all but blown in one year and it's firefighting thereafter. ie We go big but finish midtable then have to cut expenditure by 8 figures or yield a transfer profit of this in Year 2 just to comply.

This and more could all happen under the current system.

Otoh in a multi sports model it may not matter so much. Plus the Hotel etc planned.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 12/01/2023 at 16:58, ExiledAjax said:

You've quoted me so I'll respond.

I'm not entirely against it.

But, it would have to be a complete buyout by us of them. Essentially an eradication of them, and a final full-stop on their history. I'm also not really sure I would be happy at us setting a precedent like that. Football should be an industry where you can't just buy your rivals/competitors. I don't want Sheff Utd to buy Wednesday, I don't want Forest to buy County, I don't want Stoke to buy Port Vale. Note as well that I'm sure FIFA, UEFA, the FA (plus any future regulator) would have something to say about it - you're straying near to multi-club ownership territory.

Even if it could be done it would take a generation or two to get the entirety of Bristol supporting one club. Partly due to past loyalties, and partly due to the time taken to educate the few about maps, roofs, fixed seating, sell by dates, 7-figure transfer fees, and general human etiquette.

If it had happened 100 years ago then who knows where Bristol might be in footballing terms, but right now I can't see it.

The only realistic ways that Bristol will ever (again) have just one football league team is when the gas get either relegated out of League 2 or are finally wound up for good.

They dont offer anything what would we possibly want from them ? ? 

Firstly I've no news or even speculation.

Seeing Birmingham in their first year of Knighthead so far though did get me thinking..

*We need fresh impetus.

*We need someone or some organisation who will reinvest a greater ratio of the cash we have raised of late, while not going mad.

*We need fresh energy.

However it isn't a careful what we wish for post, better to try and fail etc.

Are US PE owners such good custodians though? It seems a mixed bag..

*FSG clearly are.

*Birmingham to date, not so much.

*Jury very much out at Burnley. Their cash position has surely worsened.

Chelsea regressing.

Mowbray in a good step towards rectifying the Rooney mistake but they have sharply regressed post Eustace. While Mowbray being off unwell means they are perhaps a bit rudderless.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seeing Birmingham in their first year of Knighthead so far though did get me thinking..

*We need fresh impetus.

*We need someone or some organisation who will reinvest a greater ratio of the cash we have raised of late, while not going mad.

*We need fresh energy.

*FSG clearly are.

Chelsea regressing.

Mowbray in a good step towards rectifying the Mowbray mistake but they have sharply regressed post Eustace and Mowbray being off unwell means they are perhaps a bit rudderless.

Got me excited when this popped up but nothing new,I have had a few beers and thought I was seeing double at first with the amount of times you mentioned Mowbray in one sentence 

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Got me excited when this popped up but nothing new,I have had a few beers and thought I was seeing double at first with the amount of times you mentioned Mowbray in one sentence 

Ah yes I see..at least once too many. Duly amended.

Certainly wouldn't mind him as manager either though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Mowbray Mowbray Mowbray Mowbray Mowbray Mowbray Mowbray Mowbray Mowbray Mowbray

Edited by ZiderEyed
Mowbray

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

*We need fresh impetus.

*We need fresh energy.

*FSG clearly are.

Chelsea regressing.

Mowbray in a good step towards rectifying the Rooney mistake but they have sharply regressed post Eustace. While Mowbray being off unwell means they are perhaps a bit rudderless.

Bournemouth doing pretty well with an American owner.

28 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Bournemouth doing pretty well with an American owner.

Inherited a position of relative strength.

Their initial *cheating when it was much easier to do was the platform on which some of their current position was built.

*For balance, some of their fans call the 2014-15 financial arrangements levelling the playing field.

We do need fresh impetus, drive and a greater % reinvested. Perhaps a new manager too.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Inherited a position of relative strength.

Their initial *cheating when it was much easier to do was the platform on which some of their current position was built.

*For balance, some of their fans call the 2014-15 financial arrangements levelling the playing field.

We do need fresh impetus, drive and a greater % reinvested. Perhaps a new manager too.

Their American owner gained control last season after their poor start under Parker. They were 3 points off relegation and were eventually saved by Gary O N 

Perhaps I've missed the poi t you were trying to make regarding American owners.

15 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Their American owner gained control last season after their poor start under Parker. They were 3 points off relegation and were eventually saved by Gary O N 

Perhaps I've missed the poi t you were trying to make regarding American owners.

Their old owner was ougoing and didn't spend much in summer 2022. O'Neil was backed in January, did well, was harshly sacked arguably and they've improved from there.

Not so much US owners as US PE owners. All I'm saying is we were linked a while ago or linked on here and they're a mixed bag. Not sure of Foley and his background.

How much the new owner can be credited still a matter of debate.

My overall point? Trying to work out what ownership model would be best for us.

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Trying to work out what ownership model would be best for us.

I like our current ownership but they need a wise old head directing football matters as the owners are no better at this than I would be.

Neil Warnock or Roy Hodgson maybe.

Not some bullshitting suit like last time but we need somebody.

• Like 3

If we do get new owners at some point I just hope real due diligence is done on them, the news today that Reading's owner is looking to sell their training ground which was only opened in 19/20 season to fund the running of the club until a takeover can be completed, they don't even have chefs anymore because of how much has been stripped. 777 Linked to Everton have a poor record across the clubs they're involved with. You seem to find a lot more poor to bad owners taking over then good ones. This isn't a pitch of the Lansdowns staying in the long term etc just the worry of how it could go. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I like our current ownership but they need a wise old head directing football matters as the owners are no better at this than I would be.

Neil Warnock or Roy Hodgson maybe.

Not some bullshitting suit like last time but we need somebody.

Exactly the point. Ownership is stable, as local as you could reasonably expect a billionaire to be and ultimately does have the interests of the club in its heart and not in it to make a quick buck, there shouldn’t be a lot to not love about that but..

thinking we didn’t need to employ after Gould is the real crime and would be a relatively easy fix to bring the fans back on side and to support manning  (which he needs, all coaches in this mould do) warnock/hodgeson is abit too bennie L for my liking but a sensible sporting head would go a long way to repairing the fractures. pisses me off that they won’t do this though, can’t fathom it

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

pisses me off that they won’t do this though, can’t fathom it

My opinion is that it's Steve Lansdown stubborn streak which has served him so well in business which keeps raising its head.

Lee Johnson should have gone far before he did but Steve wouldn't do this primarily IMHO because there was a load of fans demanding he be given the push and SL thought it showed strength of charcater to refuse to bow to that pressure, when in actual fact it showed that he was reacting adversely to that pressure by not sacking LJ despite his turning in a terrible overall record with massive resources at his disposal, resources that NP and SC would have turned into promotion if given the chance.

Acting illogically - either by bowing to pressure or refusing to bow to pressue - is not a good trait.

Nor is sayng "it's my club".

I still like the ownership but they need to up their game.  And by that I don't mean just spend more money.

• Like 6

Trust me I have no news or even speculation.

We have been drifting and especially post NP. A takeover can be good..Hull looks fun. A fun club to follow right now.

https://www.thehullstory.com/allarticles/acun-ilicali-first-two-years

He also has the right idea- cheaper tickets, Home fans behind both goals with Away fans more at the side and I dunno the two kinda feed off each other.

Our ownership has just lost it I'm afraid.

Financially it could go South but it looks like a club going places. Excitement, some big ticket signings and quite fan-centred.

• Like 2

On 11/03/2024 at 10:43, Eddie Hitler said:

My opinion is that it's Steve Lansdown stubborn streak which has served him so well in business which keeps raising its head.

Lee Johnson should have gone far before he did but Steve wouldn't do this primarily IMHO because there was a load of fans demanding he be given the push and SL thought it showed strength of charcater to refuse to bow to that pressure, when in actual fact it showed that he was reacting adversely to that pressure by not sacking LJ despite his turning in a terrible overall record with massive resources at his disposal, resources that NP and SC would have turned into promotion if given the chance.

Acting illogically - either by bowing to pressure or refusing to bow to pressue - is not a good trait.

Nor is sayng "it's my club".

I still like the ownership but they need to up their game.  And by that I don't mean just spend more money.

SL binning the snake, R2D2, and his dullard son would be a good start.

• Facepalm 1