IGNORED

Alleged takeover chat

Ska Junkie

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Sorry, can you expand on your comment about it being disgraceful? I don't know anything about what's going on. Thanks

Well put it this way, which football club in the city had a “stand” that was sponsored by Bristol Energy (here’s a very big clue, it wasn’t us).

Now there is the possibility of land in the city being found to enable them to build a new stadium.

Remember the help that we got when we were looking to do this? No, me neither.

Hence “disgraceful”, Council Tax payers money that was already propping up a failing energy company yet £200k of it was used to sponsor a stand, now this.

Great, isn’t it?

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Well put it this way, which football club in the city had a “stand” that was sponsored by Bristol Energy (here’s a very big clue, it wasn’t us).

Now there is the possibility of land in the city being found to enable them to build a new stadium.

Hence “disgraceful”, Council Tax payers money that was already propping up a failing energy company yet £200k of it was used to sponsor a stand, now this.

Great, isn’t it?

oh, I see… yes it is a disgrace. Thanks 

Is the proposed uni campus for Bristol uni or UWE? 

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Great, isn’t it?

To be fair Graham, neither BCC or North Somerset Council have hardly stood in Steve Lansdown's way regards:

The new stadium in the green belt

AG redevelopment

Sporting quarter

500 homes in the green belt

BCFC training ground in the green belt

Bears training ground in the green belt

BCC did not really "find" the fruit market land. It has been optioned by a private investment company who are proposing the possibility of a stadium, which the Council supports. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, gamon said:

Jon Lansdown couldn't run a sweet shop. This club is getting sold, eventually.

Yep, and I suspect Steve has grown to realise this over the last couple of years or so. I'm assuming Jon was meant to be his eyes and ears after he'd retired to Guernsey and Ashton was running the place day to day, and look how that turned out.

• Like 2

I lost any respect for JL as chairman unfortunately, when he flew in Feb 2022, and asserted ( as his right as Chairman) that we should be doing better as a team. He was already on the naughty step for that Centenary strip at the Fulham game in March 2020, and lets not talk about the extensive 6 week search that he ran with MA, for LJ's replacement.

NP disagreed of course, but was very forthright in his views. What did JL do? He just said nothing, and scuttled off again to his Caribbean island, where he could play online with his digital crayons on his pet project (Fever Pitch). 

That's not leadership, that's running away from the real issues at the club. So from that moment on (nearly a year now), we haven't heard a peep out of the supposed Chairman, who must have felt that the manager has put him right in his box, and he was too afraid to come out again.

Fast forward to 2023, and where is the senior leadership at the club? We have no board, fingers crossed on the new CEO, but nothing from him yet really. An owner, who just seems to approach City now almost like a Spanish lottery scam (ie I've invested so much money now, that the only way to get any back is to keep on investing).

Where is the visibility, and accountability? What are the plans? Why does the club just keep pushing NP forward to justify everything, when its clear he just wants to focus on the football team, and not talk about finance.

It's a mess, and we come across as a billionaire's family vanity project at times.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 6

20 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I lost any respect for JL as chairman unfortunately, when he flew in Feb 2022, and asserted ( as his right as Chairman) that we should be doing better as a team. He was already on the naughty step for that Centenary strip at the Fulham game in March 2020, and lets not talk about the extensive 6 week search that he ran with MA, for LJ's replacement.

NP disagreed of course, but was very forthright in his views. What did JL do? He just said nothing, and scuttled off again to his Caribbean island, where he could play online with his digital crayons on his pet project (Fever Pitch). 

That's not leadership, that's running away from the real issues at the club. So from that moment on (nearly a year now), we haven't heard a peep out of the supposed Chairman, who must have felt that the manager has put him right in his box, and he was too afraid to come out again.

Fast forward to 2023, and where is the senior leadership at the club? We have no board, fingers crossed on the new CEO, but nothing from him yet really. An owner, who just seems to approach City now almost like a Spanish lottery scam (ie I've invested so much money now, that the only way to get any back is to keep on investing).

Where is the visibility, and accountability? What are the plans? Why does the club just keep pushing NP forward to justify everything, when its clear he just wants to focus on the football team, and not talk about finance.

It's a mess, and we come across as a billionaire's family vanity project at times.

He appears not to have been involved in the process of recruiting the new CEO either…that was RG and Gavin Marshall’s responsibility.

I very much suspect Fever Pitch is the “thing” he really likes doing and would happily just do that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He appears not to have been involved in the process of recruiting the new CEO either…that was RG and Gavin Marshall’s responsibility.

I very much suspect Fever Pitch is the “thing” he really likes doing and would happily just do that.

In which case he should be given a role like "Head of Media" or something (with respect to Dave Barton).

I've said before that it's the club's fault for not clarifying what the "Chairman" role is. That leaves people confused as some equate it with the modern CEO role - ie day-to-day management of the club/company. Others read Chairman and think of a chairman of the board of directors - basically a position in large normally listed companies where the person is a non-executive who oversees the board and has a casting vote to break deadlock. Jon isn't that as he is very clearly an executive director.

So what is his role? It's not clear and it's bad governance.

If the protest was clearly about that I'd be down the 3 Lions in a shot on Saturday.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I’m not sure I would ever concur with the family vanity project. SL has been brilliant for the club, infrastructure and  for South Bristol in general. The bloke probably deserves a knighthood for the effort he’s put in. 

However he’s in his 70s and we never seem to get anything right on the field sustainably, which hurts us all. 

I guess we will see if there is a take over in the offing. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

People seem to forget that our previous Chairman (Keith Dawe) was rarely seen or heard of in the press. Because Jon is ‘family’ people seem to expect his role to be more out front which really is not necessary when we have a CEO. 

At least he was in the same country 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I’m not sure I would ever concur with the family vanity project. SL has been brilliant for the club, infrastructure and  for South Bristol in general. The bloke probably deserves a knighthood for the effort he’s put in. 

However he’s in his 70s and we never seem to get anything right on the field sustainably, which hurts us all. 

Up until the point where he made his son Chairman i would have agreed with you. A son who is not involved in any senior position in any of his other companies.

I'm not quite sure what other conclusion can be given to make JL chairman, other than a keep it in the family vanity project.

I don't see SL using nepotism to appointment family members in any other of his businesses?

2 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Up until the point where he made his son Chairman i would have agreed with you. A son who is not involved in any senior position in any of his other companies.

I'm not quite sure what other conclusion can be given to make JL chairman, other than a keep it in the family vanity project.

I don't see SL using nepotism to appointment family members in any other of his businesses?

Jon Lansdown was originally present and interested. He has become uninterested in the last few years. I guess failure and constant attacks (some founded) can make you yearn for the playboy lifestyle that you could have. 

As far as for Jons involvement with other Lansdown ventures who knows, but it’s pretty clear SL had to let something go. It’s unfortunate that we are where we are. As one of our Sag posters implied the other day. There are about 80 clubs that would be celebrating for a month to have SL safeguarding the future, and let’s face it, he is the second most successful principle after HD. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Jon Lansdown was originally present and interested. He has become uninterested in the last few years. I guess failure and constant attacks (some founded) can make you yearn for the playboy lifestyle that you could have. 

As far as for Jons involvement with other Lansdown ventures who knows, but it’s pretty clear SL had to let something go. It’s unfortunate that we are where we are. As one of our Sag posters implied the other day. There are about 80 clubs that would be celebrating for a month to have SL safeguarding the future, and let’s face it, he is the second most successful principle after HD. 

Steve has turned 70 and is, I believe, starting to think about what he is leaving behind him. At the moment City are a club that requires regular large injections of capital and a lot of financial expertise in managing his large and complicated portfolio. Maybe he's reached the conclusion that he can't just expect Jon to take sole control or handle a sale and is looking or someone to come in.  Perhaps his best route in attracting an investor will be to split the Bristol Sport empire up into saleable chunks. Wouldn't surprise me in the least, and if that happens there could be very nervy times ahead for the football club.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Calculus said:

Perhaps his best route in attracting an investor will be to split the Bristol Sport empire up into saleable chunks. Wouldn't surprise me in the least, and if that happens there could be very nervy times ahead for the football club.

I doubt that suits his ego and the opportunity to leave some kind of legacy though. The Sporting Quarter, with all teams part of Bristol Sport,  very much fits the bill?

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

I doubt that suits his ego and the opportunity to leave some kind of legacy though. The Sporting Quarter, with all teams part of Bristol Sport,  very much fits the bill?

I'm sure that's true as well but, and I'm sorry to be brutal here, Steve's ego will die with him when the time comes. Not sure that Jon has the ability or even inclination to take on what Steve has built and would think that Steve knows this and won't want to leave his remaining family with problems. I think it's what native Bristolians call a dilemmal. I hope Steve manages to work all this out and lives many years yet - he's done many great things for the club and the city and his legacy is already secure IMO.

Edited by Calculus
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Calculus said:

I'm sure that's true as well but, and I'm sorry to be brutal here, Steve's ego will die with him when the time comes. Not sure that Jon has the ability or even inclination to take on what Steve has built and would think that Steve knows this and won't want to leave his remaining family with problems. I think it's what native Bristolians call a dilemmal. I hope Steve manages to work all this out and lives many years yet - he's done many great things for the club and the City and his legacy is already secure IMO.

I am probably one of Lansdowns biggest critics, but I do agree with the last bit of your comments, his legacy should be secured for what he has done for the city (especially BS3) of Bristol. It's the bcfc bit I struggle with!

• Like 1

I think the lack of takeover/investment news is proof of SLs commitment to making sure the club is in good hands going forward. He won't want all his hard work undone by some hit and run organisation. The building blocks are in place for the club to progress but I think Steve probably thinks he's gone as far as he can but I'm sure he wants to see the club in the Prem.

One things for sure, he doesn't think Jon has the ability or the inclination to take it on. Jon was just his ears at the club when he was appointed chairman.  Jons absence and silence is proof of his lack of interest.

As an aside, I would like to see Scott Davidson back on the board if he was interested , but I've no idea if he is, although he is involved around the club with the ex players initiative. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

17 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I agree with this. SL's plan has generally seemed to be the same as long as I can remember - "Throw money at it - then tighten our belts when its doesn't work".

What that's meant is we're in this constant cycle of (relative) feast or famine. No, or very little sustainability, as you say. 

When he realised he couldn't fast track it on the pitch and banged his head against a wall (covered large losses) for a decade, he finally invested in the infrastructure, great but it was at least 5 years late coming.

And he as constantly let himself down with his appointments. Many wrong choices and often the good choices have been at the wrong time - he only brings in the experienced head when we need to tighten our belt - then he gambles all on red when we do have some cash to spend. 

I've always said SL's heart is in the right place and over the whole picture he's been great for the club, but by god, in the depths of night i'm sure he'd think for hours about how he'd like to start over and do it all differently. 

Certainly a huge legacy though IMO. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 5

• Admin
5 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Love these threads where posts state what SL or JL are thinking or planning all by people who i suspect don't know them, have no involvement with BCFC other than watching and probably never even met them, all total speculation 

or are they? . . . .

7 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Love these threads where posts state what SL or JL are thinking or planning all by people who i suspect don't know them, have no involvement with BCFC other than watching and probably never even met them, all total speculation 

In fairness SL (and JL to a much lesser extent) have communicated to us fabs much of what is “speculated in this thread.