IGNORED

Alleged takeover chat

Ska Junkie

20 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Love these threads where posts state what SL or JL are thinking or planning all by people who i suspect don't know them, have no involvement with BCFC other than watching and probably never even met them, all total speculation 

I've met and spoken to Steve and Jon on several occasions.  Not pretending to be ITK but I'm not just a Saturday afternoon fan. 

1 hour ago, marmite said:

As an aside, I would like to see Scott Davidson back on the board if he was interested , but I've no idea if he is, although he is involved around the club with the ex players initiative. 

My understanding, having spoken to him on one call in relation to the Heritage project - is that he's very unlikely to return to the BCFC board. He's happy to be involved as he is with projects that support the club, but full board membership isn't happening.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

My understanding, having spoken to him on one call in relation to the Heritage project - is that he's very unlikely to return to the BCFC board. He's happy to be involved as he is with projects that support the club, but full board membership isn't happening.

That's a shame imo.

19 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I know that I am in a tiny minority but I wish that somebody would buy both Bristol clubs and put them together.

Only then would we really have the fan base to make it to the prem. Helmuts on...........

Personally, I would rather keep my soul . Go wash your mouth out ?

• Like 6
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

31 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I know that I am in a tiny minority but I wish that somebody would buy both Bristol clubs and put them together.

Only then would we really have the fan base to make it to the prem. Helmuts on...........

Anyone know of a way to report potentially harmful and dangerous electronic communications ?

???

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

You've quoted me so I'll respond.

I'm not entirely against it.

But, it would have to be a complete buyout by us of them. Essentially an eradication of them, and a final full-stop on their history. I'm also not really sure I would be happy at us setting a precedent like that. Football should be an industry where you can't just buy your rivals/competitors. I don't want Sheff Utd to buy Wednesday, I don't want Forest to buy County, I don't want Stoke to buy Port Vale. Note as well that I'm sure FIFA, UEFA, the FA (plus any future regulator) would have something to say about it - you're straying near to multi-club ownership territory.

Even if it could be done it would take a generation or two to get the entirety of Bristol supporting one club. Partly due to past loyalties, and partly due to the time taken to educate the few about maps, roofs, fixed seating, sell by dates, 7-figure transfer fees, and general human etiquette.

If it had happened 100 years ago then who knows where Bristol might be in footballing terms, but right now I can't see it.

The only realistic ways that Bristol will ever (again) have just one football league team is when the gas get either relegated out of League 2 or are finally wound up for good.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Wow!  

It’s been discussed before, but what exactly would actually be gained from a merger with that lot?  Huge fanbase?  Money?  Great stadium? Better league standing?  Great history?

Nope, they’d add absolutely bugger all to what we’ve already got and would contaminate our club in the process.

Only people who would gain from a merger are the sags!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But, it would have to be a complete buyout by us of them. Essentially an eradication of them, and a final full-stop on their history.

You dont see many kids in tesco bags nowadays anyway. I think they will eradicate themselves at some point. A successful city would only speed that up, which is even more of a motivation to get our club firing properly.

As you say, a merger is all gain on their side offering nothing for us except for a few fans with gills and webbed hands

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

This suggestion did crop up from time to time in the 60s. Although it never came close to happening it wouldn’t have caused as many problems as today as there wasn’t the same level of hatred between some supporters. The teams were fairly equal so a combined team would have been good, but there wasn’t much in it for City as Rovers didn’t own there own ground. 

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 1

Life is an ever changing meander, and what we are passionate about changes over time. 

Whether it be family, business, interests, passions...it's a constantly changing situation.

In SL's case, I should imagine he's the same as everyone else on the planet.

He may have money which brings power and influence, but he still has the same emotions as we do.

Family and business...then the footy...expending that to eventually being a big knob in the Bristol area. When you have that much money and influence you can start thinking about leaving a legacy...which he's spoken of doing numerous times.

To be remembered in the same way as say Brunel...

Personally I don't or would never have that thought. What's the point...once your dead, your dead. It means jack shit in the bigger picture.

In his older years, reading between the lines, his passion and his wife's, is conservation and animal welfare in Africa... Botswana. As well as the Guernsey life and businesses associated with both places. It's far removed from the former life in Bristol.

It's almost like he had a passion, moved on, and now it's become a chore. But still sees the need to see it out.

That's my guess.

7 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I agree with this. SL's plan has generally seemed to be the same as long as I can remember - "Throw money at it - then tighten our belts when its doesn't work".

What that's meant is we're in this constant cycle of (relative) feast or famine. No, or very little sustainability, as you say. 

When he realised he couldn't fast track it on the pitch and banged his head against a wall (covered large losses) for a decade, he finally invested in the infrastructure, great but it was at least 5 years late coming.

And he as constantly let himself down with his appointments. Many wrong choices and often the good choices have been at the wrong time - he only brings in the experienced head when we need to tighten our belt - then he gambles all on red when we do have some cash to spend. 

I've always said SL's heart is in the right place and over the whole picture he's been great for the club, but by god, in the depths of night i'm sure he'd think for hours about how he'd like to start over and do it all differently. 

Certainly a huge legacy though IMO. 

Bang on. Not always the wrong managers, but usually at the wrong time.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Shortly after Richard Gould's return to the club, I spotted Gould and Scott Davidson in a Clifton restaurant having dinner and a cosy chat. I thought then that maybe we might see SD getting involved again at some level in cub affairs, but it seems not.

Though as mentioned above, he played a part in the formation of the Former Players Association.

4 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I would rather gouge my eyes out with a filthy pick axe than have anything to do with r**ers, **** that! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Shortly after Richard Gould's return to the club, I spotted Gould and Scott Davidson in a Clifton restaurant having dinner and a cosy chat. I thought then that maybe we might see SD getting involved again at some level in cub affairs, but it seems not.

He is involved - along with Gould, Stu Rogers and City Supporters Society Ltd, they're all directors of something called BCFC Heritage & Archive Ltd a company formed in Sept 22.

Others on here will be better placed to explain what BCFC Heritage is all about, I'm none the wiser, although I hope it's connected to the plans for a museum in the netball quarter. 

I expect this is what they were talking about when you saw them. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

If we did ever join forces, the best thing to do would be to take the 'Bristol' from their name and the 'City' from ours to get your new club.

3 hours ago, ooRya said:

Yes, and for a kit we could take the red from our kit and the white from theirs. 

3 hours ago, ooRya said:

Those are at least 50 or 60 years old. We'd play at Ashton Gate as it's larger than the rugby Mem! 

Will never happen

6 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would be a terrible idea to merge. Terrible.

Nottingham is no bigger and perhaps smaller than Bristol, Liverpool similar. No need whatever, why on earth should we merge- they would only drag us down aside from anything else.

That's the thing - our fan base is already comfortably big enough to make it to the Prem. And given the size of the City and lack of competition around us, we're probably one of the few clubs with genuine capacity to grow further. Depending on how positive/negative your outlook on life is, that's the promising/depressing (cross out as appropriate) thing about supporting City.

• Like 2

It is a non starter, because the truth of the matter is that the majority of 'real' (people who would put their hand in their pocket to watch a football club, in all weathers and display loyalty to them when results aren't great) football fans in Bristol support City (67%) or Rovers (33%). The vast majority of those fans would rather watch Bristol City v Rotherham in the championship or Bristol Rovers v Accrington in League One than they would watch Bristol United v Manchester City in the Premiership. City are playing Birmingham on Saturday and I can honestly say if Real Madrid were kicking off at 3pm v Barcelona on Hanham Common I'd still be at Ashton on Saturday.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

10 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Though as mentioned above, he played a part in the formation of the Former Players Association.

Yeh Gould uses his network well. He speaks to Davidson, Scudamore, and others that have connections to City plus knowledge. I mean he'll speak to anyone with an idea and a desire to make it work.

Davidson has done good work with the former players association and has been instrumental in setting up the new heritage company and it's online repository. He's around, in the background and helping where he can.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

That's the thing - our fan base is already comfortably big enough to make it to the Prem. And given the size of the City and lack of competition around us, we're probably one of the few clubs with genuine capacity to grow further. Depending on how positive/negative your outlook on life is, that's the promising/depressing (cross out as appropriate) thing about supporting City.

If our fan base is big enough for the prem why are we in such a poor financial state and towards the bottom of the Championship.

• Confused 1

Okay this could be kind of relevant.

Sheffield United subject to approval and ratification, takeover sale price a reported £90m.

A) What would be part of the package here and B) What would SL be looking for?

Sheffield United like us own their ground, unsure what their training set-up is like but both will now be part of club ownership.

Otoh our ground is more recently redeveloped, has more off field revenue and the HPC is very new.

Like us, they have a Category 2 academy.

Plus PL x 2 and again in 2006-07, looking a decent bet to return this season- what would we go for once our books cleared somewhat ie what would SL be looking for?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 12/01/2023 at 10:22, Clutton Caveman said:

I would be in favor of this provided the new club were 

1 named Bristol City

2Played at Ashton Gate

3 played in Red and White

4 Had Nigel Pearson as manager 

5 Had the rights to build a sainsbury at The memorial gates stadium and expunge any thing associated with Bristol Rovers. 

Then I could be persuaded!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 2