IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Are there? Really? If there are I’d imagine it’s a very very very small number.   And even if there are why would it bother you? Or anyone else? Pays your money etc etc.   

Yes, there really are. And not as very very few as you might hope. As others have said, more in evidence at away games, but that's because they're harder to avoid there. And yes they can be a pain in the a***.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Absolutely yes. More at away games. At Millwall a few years ago I stood next to a group of 4 or 5 young guys who spent the entire match flicking the Vs/flirting with a corresponding group in the Millwall home end.

Same at West Brom in the autumn.

An away day is basically speed dating for some of these chaps it seems. To each his own.

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yes, there really are. And not as very very few as you might hope. As others have said, more in evidence at away games, but that's because they're harder to avoid there. And yes they can be a pain in the a***.

38 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Absolutely there are. I don’t see it much where I sit, but it’s pretty common at away games in my experience. And I see it in the Dolman end now.

Sure, it’s their choice. But if you move to the end of the Dolman you’re doing it deliberately to get near the away fans, probably to create some tension, not friendly banter. That’s not the sort of “better atmosphere” I want to see in the ground.

Still no one can explain to me what the issue is.   If people have paid for a ticket and want to spend 90 mins goading the away fans then who really cares? It’s not affecting anyone.  I personally would rather that than what I see more of these days - people just sat there looking at their phones for 90 mins!  There is a lot of those people around, that’s for sure and I’m not sure what they are doing to improve any atmosphere.    

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Colombo Robin said:

I wouldnt just sit there in the cold with my kids either if someone was offering to fix the windows. Especially if offered some new fancy double glazing. Im 100% against people taking other peoples seats. People should respect seat numbers on tickets. Im talking about those season ticket holders who just dont want to be around a rowdy bunch of Billy Big Bollox laaaaads who want to give it the bigun. Dont have it infront of me but pretty sure the block A seats are cheaper than others coz of the restricted view. There cant be that many season ticket holders in there. Could the club seriously not make them an offer of some seating with an improved view at no cost. Would cost the club very little. That way most ( not everyone) will be relatively happy instead of the way its going where everyone will be pissed off with the outcome.

I don't think anyone would argue against the being something for the longer term if people are serious about it. But it's the proposition that it all happens on an overnight whim just because - mid season - a bunch of people have suddenly taken it on themselves to do it and to disregard anyone else.

Like one or two others, you make the point that none of us get to choose who sits near us (which is a fair point). But you conveniently ignore the fact that it's the standing up in front of you and the blocking of gangways that's as much of an issue - and that's something people shouldn't have to accept.

Do it properly. @Galley is our king has suggested some detail on that above.

What happens, for example, if it transpires that the gradient in A block means that it won't get safety authorisation for a standing area? The club can't ignore that. And will have to start doing something to enforce it. What happens then? Everyone packs their bags back off to S82 and in the meantime all the existing ST holders have been dislodged elsewhere. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

Still no one can explain to me what the issue is.   If people have paid for a ticket and want to spend 90 mins goading the away fans then who really cares? It’s not affecting anyone.  I personally would rather that than what I see more of these days - people just sat there looking at their phones for 90 mins!  There is a lot of those people around, that’s for sure and I’m not sure what they are doing to improve any atmosphere.    

Well, for one, a constant 90 minute stream of "paedo....you take it up the arse....F off you c......" and worse - when I'm trying to enjoy a game of football. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

It's an interesting debate really. Lot of good points on all sides.

Doing anything mid-season is problematic but the atmosphere does need more noise on a consistent basis.

Does feel that some advocates of it and of it now are offering solutions that on paper are simple but in reality would need work, negotiation, haggling. Not just the club but relating to gradient etc.

Inevitably the club will be enhancing stewarding and ticket checks in the relevant area but a) If there are duplicates or whatever it was, how would thst work and b) There are other ways to get high up in E34 rather than just the entrance to that area.

A certain amount of back and forth between livelier home fans and the away is expected, I suppose the concern of those who are worried is that it will cross the line into actual crowd trouble. 

I doubt it provided that there is adequate stewarding and for certain games policing in place in the relevant area.

18 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Well, for one, a constant 90 minute stream of "paedo....you take it up the arse....F off you c......" and worse - when I'm trying to enjoy a game of football. 

Fair enough. I go to away games and I don’t recognise any of those chants being made on a consistent basis but not saying that’s not your experience. Just not something I recognise.   

13 minutes ago, lenred said:

Fair enough. I go to away games and I don’t recognise any of those chants being made on a consistent basis but not saying that’s not your experience. Just not something I recognise.   

It’s certainly a strange experience when you’re standing watching the game in one direction, while surrounded by a bunch of blokes staring off into another direction into a stand of home fans. They’re not really football fans - in my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

It’s certainly a strange experience when you’re standing watching the game in one direction, while surrounded by a bunch of blokes staring off into another direction into a stand of home fans. They’re not really football fans - in my opinion.

Where does Leveller draw the line then? If we score, you’ll see a large percentage of the crowd gesticulate at the opposition fans. Impossible to quantify how many but I’d easily guess 10-20%?

Are they ‘not really football fans’ also? 

To expand on the general point I’ve been banging on about for years - most clubs tend to design their stadium around the ‘home end’.

If Liverpool were to move, the new ground would be developed with The Kop as the centrepiece. The same at United with the Stretford End. Obviously those are two massive clubs, but the principle is the same. And it’s how the club should’ve approached the redesign.

We were lucky in that we redeveloped the ground rather than moved, so there’s an opportunity to improve rather than completely change the culture of the ground. 

This may upset a few, so I want to emphasise the point that this is just my opinion, but pound for pound I believe vocal supporters who audibly back the team make more of a difference to the side than those that don’t. (I say that as someone who doesn’t sit in a very vocal area!). The club should’ve given that element of support as much emphasis as they gave the impressive corporate facilities and those for young families. 

The S82 area is a poorly thought out solution and a bit of a token gesture. It’s great they were open to such an area and implemented safe standing, but the location is all wrong. The club should’ve really given the stadium logistics the thought it required to suit all ‘types’ of supporter.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

To expand on the general point I’ve been banging on about for years - most clubs tend to design their stadium around the ‘home end’.

If Liverpool were to move, the new ground would be developed with The Kop as the centrepiece. The same at United with the Stratford End. Obviously those are two massive clubs, but the principle is the same. And it’s how the club should’ve approached the redesign.

We were lucky in that we redeveloped the ground rather than moved, so there’s an opportunity to improve rather than completely change the culture of the ground. 

This may upset a few, so I want to emphasise the point that this is just my opinion, but pound for pound I believe vocal supporters who audibly back the team make more of a difference to the side than those that don’t. (I say that as someone who doesn’t sit in a very vocal area!). The club should’ve given that element of support as much emphasis as they gave the impressive corporate facilities and those for young families. 

The S82 area is a poorly thought out solution and a bit of a token gesture. It’s great they were open to such an area and implemented safe standing, but the location is all wrong. The club should’ve really given the stadium logistics the thought it required to suit all ‘types’ of supporter.

Dont mean to be pedantic but Utd dont have a Stratford End, they have a Stretford End.

2 hours ago, lenred said:

Because they are using the argument that moving to A Block is being done to improve the atmosphere, when the reality is its because they want to be next to the away fans to wave their V's at them. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Thanks for pointing out that obvious typo rather than actually responding with anything of use.

That said, I haven’t seen @BS4 on Tour...for a while, someone needs to fill the void I guess.

I thought the same but given your previous posts just thought I'd point it out. Not having a go at you.

41 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If Liverpool were to move, the new ground would be developed with The Kop as the centrepiece. The same at United with the Stretford End. Obviously those are two massive clubs, but the principle is the same. And it’s how the club should’ve approached the redesign.

Good post, agree with a lot of this. I suppose in theory placing in that corner could get the Dolman and the South going but it's tucked away badly in reality. It wasn't planned that well post redevelopment this side of it, post the East End and the final days there.

Do you think the attitude of the club as far as encouraging vocal support has got worse post redevelopment? As someone closer to it than me, your thoughts will be interesting.

Wonder if Jon Lansdown has a stronger view on it too than Steve or if it's about the same?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Good post, agree with a lot of this. I suppose in theory placing st that corner could get the Dolman and the South going but it's tucked away badly in reality. It wasn't planned that well post redevelopment this side of it, post the East End and the final days there.

Do you think the attitude of the club as far as encouraging vocal support has got worse post redevelopment? As someone closer to it than me, your thoughts will be interesting.

Wonder if Jon Lansdown has a stronger view on it too than Steve or if it's about the same?

No idea really, would just be speculating. My instinct is the club have always been a bit uneasy about it and it’s not their preferred customer.

I'm in my mid 30s now but in my teenage years I used to absolutely love going in the East End - the atmosphere was unbelievable. Indeed my first memories of going to games at Ashton Gate were just incredible feelings of awe at the partisan and raucous atmosphere inside the ground, "being all in it together" and a massive majority cheering the team on with the almost constant chanting, singing etc. Over the years since I have felt the club becoming more and more sanitised with each passing year, more geared towards families and seemingly not bothered by the waning atmosphere at games. When going to games I felt alienated and disconnected.

Covid meant I got out of the habit of going to games altogether and unbelievably I haven't been one since. I haven't felt compelled to come back either, content with supporting the team from afar and hoping that maybe one day the "edge" might return. 

Large numbers of our support saying enough is enough, culminating in the A-Block move has re-ignited a spark and passion in me that has been missing for a long time. For me hearing about the vastly improved atmosphere on Saturday prompted by the move is the signal that I needed to finally return to the Gate. Fingers crossed it continues. COYR.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Where does Leveller draw the line then? If we score, you’ll see a large percentage of the crowd gesticulate at the opposition fans. Impossible to quantify how many but I’d easily guess 10-20%?

Are they ‘not really football fans’ also? 

You can't be serious. You well understand that I'm talking about fans who ignore the football while the ball is in play, in order to watch the opposition fans instead. They are not there for the football itself but for some tribal reason.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We really lost something when the home fans were moved from the East End to the Atyeo back in the 90's.  I really hope the fans can work with the club to expand the safe standing from the corner of the South Stand.  

I did give lots of feedback in the recent supporters survey carried out by the Supporters Trust.  The other thing I mentioned was renaming the South Stand to one of our former players.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

We really lost something when the home fans were moved from the East End to the Atyeo back in the 90's.  I really hope the fans can work with the club to expand the safe standing from the corner of the South Stand.  

I did give lots of feedback in the recent supporters survey carried out by the Supporters Trust.  The other thing I mentioned was renaming the South Stand to one of our former players.  

Edited by Slacker

The 'singing section' (what a stupid phrase) should always have been the centre 3 blocks of of the South Stand, replicating the old East End, difficult to implement now because so fans fans are now ingrained into 'their' seats. Difficult but not impossible.

Corner block could then have been offered as cheaper season or matchday tickets.

E33 or A block in old money, could from next season be offered over to the yoof and current A block season ticket holders offered the chance to move seats at no extra cost.

Oh, and stop Swansea fans from entering via the concourse nearest to the Dolman and encroaching over the netting. Not the first time that has happened.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, myol'man said:

The 'singing section' (what a stupid phrase) should always have been the centre 3 blocks of of the South Stand, replicating the old East End, difficult to implement now because so fans fans are now ingrained into 'their' seats. Difficult but not impossible.

Corner block could then have been offered as cheaper season or matchday tickets.

E33 or A block in old money, could from next season be offered over to the yoof and current A block season ticket holders offered the chance to move seats at no extra cost.

Oh, and stop Swansea fans from entering via the concourse nearest to the Dolman and encroaching over the netting. Not the first time that has happened.

If it was all about atmosphere, then the place to be would be lower-Dolman - blocks all the way along, allowing those who want to gesture at 120 Rotherham fans the opportunity to do so from 'lower A', and those who want to try and motivate and encourage the team to do so in both halves of the game.

Being pitch-side would ensure that the noise ended up in the ears of the players.

Ain't gonna happen, mind. 

On 15/01/2023 at 00:35, Mr Popodopolous said:

That would probably be deemed the cheapest and or easiest from a security perspective, quiet life etc. It wouldn't surprise me therefore but reckon a lot of clubs probably have similar views- less potential flashpoints reduces the potential policing bill too.

I would hazard a guess that it has become more pronounced post redevelopment. I might be getting the wrong poster here but I believe @Three Lions once mentioned that flags post 2015 were no longer allowed at the back of the Dolman which is a shift in that direction.

It went as far as having to show wording on the flags to the club. getting the ok then the club saying no flags at all, you can put flags in the singing section not here. That took months to get the knock back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

good numbers for all to gain seats without upsetting anyone

Without upsetting anyone.... except elderly or less abled supporters who bought a season ticket there safe in the knowledge that they would be able to see the match as the club wouldn't allow people to stand and block their view.

• Like 9