IGNORED

Swansea City away FA Cup replay match thread

In case Scott Murray needs a steer: https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time/g:english-folk-music/ ?

As somebody noted after the first game…..We really are a consistent team, we even give away stupid goals in the cup just like we do every week in the league.

Following a 1-1 result at our place its a trip across the Severn Bridge, for the replay, here’s what their manager said after the first game.

My own halftime post said this: ‘Dreadful so far from us we’ve hardly had the ball and on the rare occasion we have we pass straight to one of their players. Gifted them a goal + Conway gone off injured.  We have essentially been given a footballing lesson by a team who create space, options and overloads for fun, retain the ball and make quick/correct decisions, which in essence is the polar opposite to us! Our inability to make a tackle has also been highlighted and with increasing desperation we have started to lunge in KN picking up a yellow for his foul. The BBC says we’ve had 41% of the ball, however, it doesn’t feel like that to me! We have been chasing shadows for most of the half. We really have looked a very poor side in the opening half.  Only positives I can offer are it’s only 1-0 and Scott looks like he wants something from this game - which sadly may be a move elsewhere’. TBF things improved in the second half.

Here are the highlights:

Pay on the day tickets will not be available. We have received a full allocation of 1985 tickets for the trip to South Wales.

The winners will host West Bromwich Albion or Chesterfield in the Fourth Round on the weekend of January 27th-30th. 

On Saturday they won 3-1 away at ten man Sunderland.

Our last visit to their place finished with us losing 3-1, highlights:

Graham Scott will be the man in charge. This will the second time Scott has overseen a Swans match this term. He was the man in the middle for the side’s trip to The Hawthorns in October when they came from behind to claim a 3-2 win against the Midlands outfit.

This match will be his 13th of the season, having taken charge of matches in the Championship and Premier League, as well as in the League Cup and FA Cup. In total this season, he has handed out 34 yellow cards and three reds.

He will be assisted by Mark Scholes and Craig Taylor. Josh Smith is set to be the fourth official.

Due to Emirates FA Cup broadcast rules, Robins TV will be unable to stream the game.

Rumour suggests that Coventry City are likely to sign Swansea City's Jamie Paterson, despite the fact the Sky Blues are yet to launch a formal offer. The 31-year-old has been told he can leave the Welsh club this month after making only 12 appearances this season.

Given it’s the Swans v the Robins here’s a couple of articles about birds and football….

https://www.scarecrow.eu/birdsandfootball/

https://thedrunkbirder.wordpress.com/2010/01/29/birds-and-football/

In fact birds are the animal that more football team nicknames are named after than any other. There are multiple Magpies (Newcastle United, Notts County), at least three Robins (Bristol City, Cheltenham Town, Swindon Town), but surprisingly few Eagles (Crystal Palace). Seagulls provide a key soundtrack to any seaside visit, so their connection with Brighton and Hove Albion is an absolutely natural fit. The Bantams (Bradford City) are not named for the boxing weight class but the alleged similarity of their claret and gold kits to the feathers of a small but mighty bantam chicken. The Canaries (Norwich City) have zero association with their role as the harbingers of coal mine disaster; rather, they trace back to Renaissance-era weavers who brought the birds with them when emigrating from Flanders to Norwich.

There are even a handful of teams with bird names that are not technically named for our feathered friends. Owls (Sheffield Wednesday) is a shortening of Owlerton, a suburb of Sheffield, with Swans (Swansea City) following a similar approach. Though it’s fallen out of use as a sobriquet since the introduction of an all-white kit, the Peacocks (Leeds United) stemmed not from the regal bird but the original name of Leeds’ ground, the Old Peacock Ground, which in turn was named after the neighbouring Old Peacock pub. But the most obscure among the bird-inspired names are the Bluebirds (Cardiff City), named not for the club switching to a blue kit in 1910 but for a play called The Bluebird of Happiness by Nobel Prize winner Maurice Maeterlinck that found incredible success when it was mounted in Wales in 1911.

This took me on a brief flight of thought towards current and ex-City players whose name had an association with birds. I only got as far as Chris Martin (who may soon fly the nest anyway), Dickie Rooks (who was certainly good in the air) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickie_Rooks and Chris Crowe, (who of course sometimes played on the wing) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Crowe_(footballer) before realizing I was being a bit of a great tit, so this idea quickly flew the nest. Of course other posters might like to forage with this theme ?.

Parking:

Landore Park and Walk

SA1 2JT

£6

5 minute walk from the stadium

Swansea Tennis Centre Park and Walk

SA1 7DF

£6

5 minute walk to the stadium

Lyte Ladders Park and Walk

SA7 9BB

£6

15 minute walk to the stadium

Trains:

Swansea station is around two miles from the Swansea.com Stadium, the walk will take you 20-30 minutes.

Buses 4, 4a, 120, 122, 125 and 132 will take you to the stadium from the station.

Pub:

There's only one away pub near the stadium, any others will be in central Swansea.

The Harvester:

SA1 7BP, right outside the stadium.

Mix of home and away supporters.

They serve food.

Food:

There's a McDonald's and a KFC in Morfa Shopping Park right next to the stadium.

B0F67E04-5A02-4D4C-A4BB-0EBC8594CC4C.webp

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Robin 2

It’s slightly ridiculous that City and other teams that play in red are nicknamed “robins” as the bird’s breast feathers are actually orange. Until approx the 15 century the word “orange” didn’t exist and the colour was just called “yellow-red”. It was only after merchants brought the fruit to Europe that the name of the fruit began to be used for the colour. 

• Like 2

Really interested in the team selection for this one. Team the same, as Saturday, knocks depending you would think. But would NP like to rest a couple with current injuries relevance. Bell to start, couple of bench players starting also ? Kalas to get minutes ? How much does NP want a cup run ? and the demand for extra games on the current fitness of the squad ?

6 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Really interested in the team selection for this one. Team the same, as Saturday, knocks depending you would think. But would NP like to rest a couple with current injuries relevance. Bell to start, couple of bench players starting also ? Kalas to get minutes ? How much does NP want a cup run ? and the demand for extra games on the current fitness of the squad ?

He said he’ll go strong.  Guess the likes of Williams, King and Dasilva come into contention for starting places, although I didn’t think Dasilva did himself any favours on Saturday.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He said he’ll go strong.  Guess the likes of Williams, King and Dasilva come into contention for starting places, although I didn’t think Dasilva did himself any favours on Saturday.

Don't recall Dasilva being bad or good Saturday. Mind think frost bite had set in by then in my corner of the south stand. ❄️❄️

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a real tough one from a selection point of view, do we go strong with the intention of winning the game and to be fair not a totally glam tie in the next round and risk injuries. Or wrap players up let them sit it out fresh for Saturday , no risk of injuries , booking or suspension. It would be really good to go to Huddersfield next week on a bit of form in the league

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Can only think Williams coming in for either James or Scott, plus possibly King at a stretch.

Otherwise we don’t have too many options, I’d be very surprised if Bell starts, for instance.

Going to be a real challenge to fill the subs bench if as expected Pearson continues to ignore Klose, HNM & Martin.
Wonder if Kalas might be on it, even if there is minimal likelihood of him coming on? Morrison too?

9 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Tonight I'm only interested in two things;

No injuries & no extra time please.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 3

This match counts nothing compared to Blackburn and the next ones in the league, and the injuries in the last cup match should be an alarm bell for Nigel...but he seems not keen on doing turnover, so I fear this game will cause us more problems (new injuries or tired legs) than benefits.

If the players on the transfer list won't be used (why not?), I'd give at least a chance to the likes of Idehen, Kadji and Bell as subs.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Robin 1

Russell Martin comes over like a cocky, self deluded 2nd hand car Salesman......I wasn't bothered if we progressed or not, but after listening to his nonsense, i hope we feckin stuff em'...Ha!        To be honest Saturday is far more important, so i hope we play quite a few reserve players, and keep our big guns fit and healthy for the weekend.............but their is no denying how much i detest Martin and his BS.....................Of course if it is a draw, we will be asked to return home, while Swansea remain on the pitch and take their 5 spot kicks!   PS  Massengo must start!!!!

Edited by maxjak
15 minutes ago, grubby said:

Some ? get the via play from Scandinavia ?. Shame its not espn + as the quality tends to be goods

This is Viaplay Norway, not on (the same with Denmark, Sweden and Finland.

It's not on anywhere, I promise! (If I am wrong, I will happily eat humble pie! - but I know I am not wrong)

May be an image of text that says "viaplay Series Movies Sport Barn ( Rt&buy Channels Q Emirates FACUP FA Cup ÛViplay signin Buy Viaplay Discover Sending form Current broadcasts TODAY TODAY TOMORROW Wolverhampton-Liverpool Wolverhampton -Liverpool Rematch Studio 22.15 F-m Û Birmingham 3rdround Leeds United Cardiff . City 3rdround|Remach"

It’s Bristol City. Against Swansea. When it starts I will be hoping as always we win, and be a bit down if we lose.

Deep down, would swop it all for 3 points at the weekend without a doubt. I am sure that will go away when the whistle goes for the start, but will return fairly soon after the final whistle.