IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers at home match thread

6 minutes ago, DaveF said:

His younger brother Adam is supposed to be pretty special I think?

Ashley Phillips other of their youngsters who is supposed to be very promising.

Adam got schooled by Alex Scott in the away fixture! ???. Looks promising though.

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Indeed. I love it when we come from behind.

“We” ???

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Why do people find it so hard to say "well done Lino, great decision"...?

A tight one, especially in real time speed - but he was offside, just - so offside was correct.

Decent, solid performance today.

Happy enough with the draw, because the performance was decent.

I think that's called "offside" then.

It's either on or off. 

Do you say well done to the postman when he delivers your post?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From my position looked like he got a little nudge as he hit it???

That was my initial view but not seen it back…..looked like he got a nudge in the back

Re Bell disallowed goal - looked at the time to be offside and the “still” suggests that it was the correct decision

Edited by Loosey Boy

My take on the game . Blackburn were happy for us to have the ball to a certain extent. As soon as we did , they went to a back 5 worried about us getting behind them as that’s been a major source of goals for us . Tried to push us into midfield where they’d try to break on us but even though we frustrated ourselves  with some poor final balls , we were well in control without really creating anything first half. Second half the game seemed to open up , Alex Scott had a quiet opening 15minutes to the game but after that started to dictate. 
we really need to enjoy this lad. Early on the second half when he let a chip from the back four run across him but control & lob into antoines path was truly top class . He really could be the best player I’ve seen in a city shirt in my 48 years of watching us. 
didn’t see their goal coming but it was poor from our point of view . No pressure on the ball & kal let a player run beyond him for a pullback , good movement by Dack but a poor goal  . Woke us up though . Constant pressure without anything clear cut but Blackburn on the ropes . Until Zak maldini vyner strode into midfield , beating two players & unleashing a curling effort the keeper couldn’t hold , only pushing it out to our £120m rated striker Semenyo to pass the ball into the net. 
Condensed rest of the game . Definite pen , the refs a *** , just offside Sam . 

Just back after the game, my reflections….

Overall a draw was about right, there was not much between the two teams, they had a golden chance first half which BD blasted over and AS should have hit the target - at least - immediately after we conceded, we built some sustained pressure towards the end.

Negatives: Our dead ball delivery was poor throughout, we largely lacked a creative spark in midfield, thought NW was guilty of too many sloppy moments, we stood off them far too much in the build up to their goal, we were too pedestrian for large periods.

Positives: ZV looked accomplished and played with composure and authority, Scotty’s awareness and movement was class at times, there was a a good response to conceding and Sam Bell took his chance really well even though it counted for nothing.

In the end Blackburn we’re far more pleased to hear the final whistle than we were.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Overall a draw was about right, there was not much between the two teams, they had a golden chance first half which BD blasted over and AS should have hit the target - at least - immediately after we conceded, we built some sustained pressure towards the end.

Negatives: Our dead ball delivery was poor throughout, we largely lacked a creative spark in midfield, thought NW was guilty of too many sloppy moments, we stood off them far too much in the build up to their goal, we were too pedestrian for large periods.

Positives: ZV looked accomplished and played with composure and authority, Scotty’s awareness and movement was class at times, there was a a good response to conceding and Sam Bell took his chance really well even though it counted for nothing.

In the end Blackburn we’re far more pleased to hear the final whistle than we were.

Hope you had a good catch up with your old mates Jerseybean

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bengalcub said:

Why do we persist with Naismith taking nearly every set piece ? 
His delivery is terrible rarely beats the first man , James equally bad.

We came close to scoring from one from Naismith second half, and one from James (first half) when it was cleared back out to him.  The number of goals from corners is statistically very small, it really is a fine margin hitting it in with pace at just the right height to clear the first man.  We saw how many times Martin and Diedhiou cleared balls in a similar vain.

I’d be quite happy to see them chip balls in for our biggies to get a run at, but that’s statistically no better either, would just feel less frustrating.

9 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

It's actually become embarrassing that we have nobody who can take a decent set piece. Surely it's not that difficult a task for a professional footballer 

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Do you say well done to the postman when he delivers your post?

I don’t say anything to my postman, but I should tell him to stop dropping rubber bands on my drive. Does anyone else have this problem? 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Super said:

It's actually become embarrassing that we have nobody who can take a decent set piece. Surely it's not that difficult a task for a professional footballer 

It’s obviously about what they are asked to do, every professional footballer - in fact even every amateur level corner taker I know can hit the box. It must be about what target/ area they are asked to hit that means a few go awry. I refuse to believe that Naismith or James are worse from a dead ball than myself

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

I'm sure that when Naismith first arrived some of his free kicks were decent and 

led to a couple of goals. Whether his injury has affected his kicking I don't know?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He wasn’t…he was perfectly place….Cult of Nige says “Nige was wrong”!

Perhaps, but that defender two along from Bell has his leg sticking waaaay into the box and one still taken after the ball was kicked and from an angle nearer to Bell than that part of the box does NOT prove it for me. And the lino wasn't parallel. He wasn't looking down the line, although he might not have been yards away as NP stated.

It was tight and for anyone to say they are 1000000% sure - well, unless they've brought a theodolite to the game - they are exaggerating.  You give goals unless you know they are offside. 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

A tight one, especially in real time speed - but he was offside, just - so offside was correct.

Decent, solid performance today.

Happy enough with the draw, because the performance was decent.

I think that's called "offside" then.

It's either on or off. 

Absolutely. 
It was offside and was a fantastic call by the lino - who was in exactly the correct place and not behind play as Nige suggested. 
I was in line with it and said on another thread that Bell was definitely beyond the full back but I wasn’t sure if there was a defender in the middle playing him on as I was looking at the pass at the time. There nearly was, but it wasn’t. Lino got it spot on. Sadly. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Because we disagree.  You know that thing about football being a game of opinions? Well, that.

One picture taken from an angle that is going to make the nearest player (ie: Bell) look further advanced, does not prove anything for me. 

If he was offside, it was by millimetres but I don't think the linesman could possibly have known that with enough certainty to flag.

• Like 1

I was really happy with that performance and I think the manager, coaches and players deserve a lot of appreciation for the performances in 2023 so far.

To dominate a top team again is very pleasing and most of our lads put a good shift in.

I loved the magic feet from Scott to get Wharton booked. Class.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

In the end Blackburn were far more pleased to hear the final whistle than we were.

Good summary of the game.  I would just add to the positives that Semenyo looked a real threat all game, held the ball up well, make some great runs and got our goal.  Without him our attack was toothless.  Nakhi must have put his boots on the wrong way round because his link up play was poor, and unfortunately Sykes looked out of his depth today.  Everything good up front went through Semenyo, best player on the pitch for me today, closely followed by Zak.  Midfield 3 did a decent job of controlling the game after they had scored, and Atkinson had another solid game at the back.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Being good and being entertained don’t necessarily go hand in hand.

Can you not see that sometimes teams cancel each other other…and enjoy a different kind of entertainment of watching a bit of a cagey game, seeing where a team might gain a small advantage that breaks the fact that two teams playing 433(ish), will see lots of passing lanes being blocked, hard for either side to get it forward.

Absolutely . I just thought both teams looked very poor in the final third in the first half. I just thought we passed the ball so slowly - and don’t even get me started on the final ball and the set pieces into the box .

The few times we did break - the players who broke didn’t  look up. Both Semenyo and Atkinson were guilty of this . Blackburn’s goal for example - lad broke into the box, looked up and played a pass into Dack. Lovely goal to be fair. We just didn’t have that composure at all at 0-0

Second half much better. It took going  1-0 down to get us going but we actually started playing some decent stuff. We showed our  pace going forward and our passing was quicker, and it caused them all sorts of issues 

Thought Bell changed the game for us. Sykes was terrible today and Bell just seemed busier when he came on 

Over the whole 90 minutes  a much better performance from us though and one to build on for sure. I really don’t rate Blackburn though and can’t believe they are in and around the top 6

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Thought Bell changed the game for us. Sykes was terrible today and Bell just seemed busier when he came on 

Bit harsh on Sykes, it was a different game when Bell came on TBF.
When Bell came on, we had to force the game a bit and Bell played a more attacking role . Not saying that Sykes was brilliant but I thought he did ok and did a lot of work tracking back. 

On a side note, at the time I thought Bell was onside for his "Goal" , I've looked again and it's tight. TBF the Lino is in a decent position and as Bell is closest you can see why he gave it, too tight to say he was wrong. 

1246991521_Screenshot2023-01-22at07_28_06.thumb.png.a160106bb1c00c1eea4a98ecdc791825.png

• Like 4