IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers at home match thread

34 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

It's not the target but the pace. It's very easy to cut under a ball ans float it to the edge of the six yard box. Trouble is, that's a piece of piss for pro defenders to clear/keepers to claim. 

Seeing as 99% of amateur keepers seem to be short fat and invariably bald, there's little to no danger of them waddling 6 yards and jumping 6 and a half feet in the air to punch the ball.

The comparison between amateur football and the pro game is daft. They're not even close to being the same sport. 

Generally speaking, a pro corner is taken with as much pace/power as an amateur striker shooting at goal. The margin of error is tiny. 

So the "I can do it, why can't they" thing that so many people peddle... you and I could probably hit 1 in a 100 at the desired pace, trajectory and direction. And then you've got to hope the defenders haven't blocked the targets run and the Keeper hasn't gambled correctly on the type of ball you're playing in.

Understand and agree with you about the pace in the professional game. But to consistently reach first defender at about shoulder height as Naismith did all afternoon, totally wipes out any benefit of a corner kick.

So a floater might actually be of more benefit in the way that a fast bowlers slower delivery is often more effective than a super quick one.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Leveller said:

I don’t know how anybody can call that clear. Yes he’s behind his marker but I can’t tell - from this angle- whether the other defenders are playing him on.

Well, I know somebody who was directly in line with it, standing right next to the touchline, with an absolutely perfect view. 
The linesman. 
It’s 100% the correct call. We’ve not been had. 
Pearson’s comments don’t help the situation. Claiming that the lino was behind play when he was bang in line and had the best view in the house, and then mimicking the old ‘spectacles’ at the lino was disrespectful and the sort of thing we’ve seen players booked for in the past. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Understand and agree with you about the pace in the professional game. But to consistently reach first defender at about shoulder height as Naismith did all afternoon, totally wipes out any benefit of a corner kick.

So a floater might actually be of more benefit in the way that a fast bowlers slower delivery is often more effective than a super quick one.

Needs mixing up but I don’t like slow short corners which come to nothing most of the time.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Bit harsh on Sykes, it was a different game when Bell came on TBF.
When Bell came on, we had to force the game a bit and Bell played a more attacking role . Not saying that Sykes was brilliant but I thought he did ok and did a lot of work tracking back. 

On a side note, at the time I thought Bell was onside for his "Goal" , I've looked again and it's tight. TBF the Lino is in a decent position and as Bell is closest you can see why he gave it, too tight to say he was wrong. 

1246991521_Screenshot2023-01-22at07_28_06.thumb.png.a160106bb1c00c1eea4a98ecdc791825.png

Granted it may be a bit harsh and do agree it was a different type of game. We just upped the pace as a collective once Bell came on 

Really close call but I can certainly see why the linesman gave it. I personally think he looks just off 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Harry said:

Well, I know somebody who was directly in line with it, standing right next to the touchline, with an absolutely perfect view. 
The linesman. 
It’s 100% the correct call. We’ve not been had. 
Pearson’s comments don’t help the situation. Claiming that the lino was behind play when he was bang in line and had the best view in the house, and then mimicking the old ‘spectacles’ at the lino was disrespectful and the sort of thing we’ve seen players booked for in the past. 

Of course, if you were the Manager of a team that is close to breaking the record for time without a penalty awarded and in that time had some right stonewallers turned down and with some people putting pressure on your to get results and others with an agenda against you whatever you do and say you definitely wouldn’t put a single word out of place would you?

• Like 3
  • Robin 1
11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We came close to scoring from one from Naismith second half, and one from James (first half) when it was cleared back out to him.  The number of goals from corners is statistically very small, it really is a fine margin hitting it in with pace at just the right height to clear the first man.  We saw how many times Martin and Diedhiou cleared balls in a similar vain.

I’d be quite happy to see them chip balls in for our biggies to get a run at, but that’s statistically no better either, would just feel less frustrating.

Yeah I remember Pochettino saying he couldn’t understand in England why everyone gets so excited by a corner as statistically the number of goals from corners is minimal.

unless you go back to stoke of the Pulis era when corners and the long throw caused mayhem for other teams.

• Like 1

The offside on Bell was one of the few things that linesman did get right. He got so many of the throw-in calls wrong. He just stood with his flag by his side and waited either for the referee to indicate or which ever team remonstrated more (usually Blackburn) that it was their throw-in. After a really effective and consistent linesman in front of the Lansdown last week against Birmingham, this one was stealing a living as an “assistant referee”.

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Of course, if you were the Manager of a team that is close to breaking the record for time without a penalty awarded and in that time had some right stonewallers turned down and with some people putting pressure on your to get results and others with an agenda against you whatever you do and say you definitely wouldn’t put a single word out of place would you?

But we’re not talking about the penalty situation. We’re talking about an offside, which was the correct decision, and where the manager made it quite clear that he thought the lino was well behind play when he wasn’t, and mimicked wearing glasses to him. 

• Like 1
Just now, Harry said:

But we’re not talking about the penalty situation. We’re talking about an offside, which was the correct decision, and where the manager made it quite clear that he thought the lino was well behind play when he wasn’t, and mimicked wearing glasses to him. 

I’m sure one is feeding into the other. Having never had a few thousand people shouting abuse at my work or writing about it on the internet I couldn’t honestly say whether I would make the odd error of judgement or not tbh……

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I’m sure one is feeding into the other. Having never had a few thousand people shouting abuse at my work or writing about it on the internet I couldn’t honestly say whether I would make the odd error of judgement or not tbh……

End of the day, lino was 100% correct. 
Pearson’s comment and mimickery were wrong. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Has anyone seen a playback of the penalty?

Wrong angle for me yesterday from the SS but player reaction often tells a story and that suggested that it should have been given!

Think we had two penalty's turned down yesterday to be honest . Both in wells I think   and as I saw them , on Robins TV with replays . Cannot see why turned down to he honest 

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

When Bell came on, we had to force the game a bit and Bell played a more attacking role . Not saying that Sykes was brilliant but I thought he did ok and did a lot of work tracking back. 

On a side note, at the time I thought Bell was onside for his "Goal" , I've looked again and it's tight. TBF the Lino is in a decent position and as Bell is closest you can see why he gave it, too tight to say he was wrong. 

1246991521_Screenshot2023-01-22at07_28_06.thumb.png.a160106bb1c00c1eea4a98ecdc791825.png

Had the same opinion at the time, looked just onside to me. Still think very tight given gaps between frames are long enough for things to change, so Bell being closest to the linesman probably hasn’t helped him. However I also thought the linesman wasn’t up with play and he clearly was and I can see why he gave it, so will be spending today reflecting on my personal confirmation bias and trying to become a better person. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
12 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I don’t say anything to my postman, but I should tell him to stop dropping rubber bands on my drive. Does anyone else have this problem? 

Haven't got a drive but our pavement is littered with elastic bands, and that's what they are...litter.

We collect them up when out walking and deposit them in the local pillar box.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

The offside on Bell was one of the few things that linesman did get right. He got so many of the throw-in calls wrong. He just stood with his flag by his side and waited either for the referee to indicate or which ever team remonstrated more (usually Blackburn) that it was their throw-in. After a really effective and consistent linesman in front of the Lansdown last week against Birmingham, this one was stealing a living as an “assistant referee”.

There were at least 3 occasions yesterday, second half, where the Lino went to switch flag hands or indicated with his flag, and then changed his mind.

There was one late on where Tanner kicked it out off of BBD / Dack (long haired) in the corner.  Im 90 yards away, similar line to the Lino, and he gave them the throw.  Similarly, they did the same with Sykes yet we got it.  They don’t concentrate is my thought, they try to predict then don’t watch what actually happens.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There were at least 3 occasions yesterday, second half, where the Lino went to switch flag hands or indicated with his flag, and then changed his mind.

There was one late on where Tanner kicked it out off of BBD / Dack (long haired) in the corner.  Im 90 yards away, similar line to the Lino, and he gave them the throw.  Similarly, they did the same with Sykes yet we got it.  They don’t concentrate is my thought, they try to predict then don’t watch what actually happens.

Official got it wrong Bell timed his run perfectly. I've seen other games where throw ins or corners go the opposite way I'm inclined to agree with you too busy ball watching.

• Hmmm 1
4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

........but to give offside he needs to be absolutely sure. Benefit of the doubt etc. etc.

Thought that lino was poor throughout the game. Several times he didn't know which way to flag for throw-ins, so waited for the ref. to decide before flagging. Also didn't see a blatant foul 2 or 3 yards directly in front of him.

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

He just looks offside in that picture. I personally have no issue with the Lino flagging for it. 

With VAR there's a possibility that the wide stance of the 4th defender might keep Bell on but we don't have VAR and lets face it, our past 2 seasons would have been very different if we did!

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Haven't got a drive but our pavement is littered with elastic bands, and that's what they are...litter.

We collect them up when out walking and deposit them in the local pillar box.

Good post. Seems like you're pushing the envelope, but be careful. You might get band. The Post Office is trying to stamp this out.

Watched it back, the highlights few observations.

We were really quite decent Saturday, 

Brereton-Diaz, what a miss by him!

Goal by Bell, yeah correct decision especially with pictures and lines etc but hiw tight in real time!

When Kaminiski saved from Wells and we were about to recycle but a foul/infringement was called, what was it for exactly. Watched a couple of times and couldn't see much wrong.