IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers at home match thread

11 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

We are looking to continue our unbeaten start to 2023.

We faced them away back in September when the scoreline flattered them!

Dolan came off the bench for them and scored one and made one.

Tomas Kalas is available for selection.

NP pre-match:

Mark Sykes pre-match:

Head to head record we’ve won 22, drawn 13 and lost 16.

They have won three and lost three of their last six games, have lost every time this season when conceding first and haven’t drawn a game this season.

Nottingham Forest are reportedly looking into the possibility of bringing Ben Brereton Diaz back to the City Ground.The Reds are in the market for a new striker this month and appear to have identified the Forest academy graduate. Blackburn are in a perilous position with their main talisman. He’s out of contract during the summer and are valuing him at £15 million, despite the fact he’s got just six months remaining on his deal.

They have made an offer for Hibernian defender Ryan Porteous as they look to bolster their Premier League promotion hopes. A 4-0 defeat last weekend away to Rotherham is a clear sign they need to improve their quality at the back if they are to cement their play-off position.

Their manager Jon Dahl Tomasson said, "We have made an offer, yes. We’re still waiting for the situation to resolve itself. Ryan has played one game for Scotland, and is a leader as well." https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64302265

Dominic Hyam is ruled out of action for four weeks meaning he will miss this game: https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2023/january/19/hyam-out-of-bristol-city-battle/

John Buckley is available after serving a suspension. Scott Wharton is also back available after a period out with concussion. Midfielder Sam Szmodics has also returned to training after a quad muscle injury, but will not be part of the squad to travel to Ashton Gate.

Blackburn Rovers ended 11 consecutive seasons of Premier League football with the ignominy of relegation in 2012. The Lancashire-based club, in a tumultuous campaign under Steve Kean, could only manage eight wins across 38 matches.

Their manager is Jon Dahl Tomasson. The former Denmark international previously managed Malmo in Sweden.

Referee is Tim Robinson, a former PE teacher, he started officiating at Football League level during the 2011/12 season, having progressed through the Sussex leagues, before moving on to the different national leagues. In December 2019 he officiated his first Primer League Game, a 1-0 for Burnley over Newcastle United. However, Robinson is mainly an EFL Championship referee.

He will be assisted by Craig Taylor and Andrew Fox. The fourth official is Robert Lewis.

Blackburn Rovers banter

• Blackburn Rovers was established in 1875, becoming a founding member of The Football League in 1888. Blackburn is one of only three clubs to have been both a founder member of the Football League and the Premier League (Aston Villa and Everton are the others).
  • Derek Fazackerley holds the record for the most League appearances for the club, with 596 between 1970 and 1987.
  • The all time record goalscorer for the club was Simon Garner, who scored 194 goals between 1978 and 1992.
  • Ex-Foreign Secretary Jack Straw or Jack John Whitaker Straw to give him his full name is a massive Blackburn Rovers fan. Other famous fans include former Doctor Who star Matt Smith, who played the Doctor between 2009 and 2013, comedian Lee Mack, Bill Beaumont former captain of the England rugby union team and Stephen Hendry, MBE, who in 1990 was the youngest ever snooker World Champion, at the age of 21. Celeb fans also include Lee Gordon McKillop stand up comedian and actor, Jim Bowen comedian and TV personality and Carl George Fogarty, known as Foggy, who is the most successful World Superbike racer of all time in terms of the number of championships and number of race wins.
  • The blue and white jersey of Blackburn Rovers was adopted from the quartered shirts of Malvern College.
  • The motto of Blackburn Rovers is 'Arte et Labore' which means 'By skill and hard work' in Latin.

Finally, and personally, it’s a bitter-sweet weekend for me. I’ll be at Ashton Gate for the game with my three lifetime best friends, we all met at Long Ashton primary school and are pensioners now!

I came across from Jersey for the funeral on Friday (at Long Ashton All Saints Church) of the last surviving parent of the four of us (Mrs C died aged 98 on Christmas Day.) I suggested that we all went to the game, for one of us I’m pretty sure it will be the first football match he has ever been to! The other two are City fans, although not regularly making it to games these days. 

59654B95-F807-46BD-BFA8-380238B731A2.jpeg

233491D7-2CC5-46EF-969B-2798CAFB5168.jpeg

Have a great day with your mates JB. Great post as always, I enjoy looking out for them and having a read.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Blackburn has either won or lost every match this season. This means one thing -  tomorrow will be a draw 

We are on a bit of a run lately so hoping for a home win. Looking at some betting sites the most common predicted score is a 2-2 draw.

Personally would take a draw today , have watched Blackburn a few times very hit & miss hence either win or lose .

if we catch them on a good day I think there forward play will cause us problems . Would love to take the 3 points though to start to give us some breathing space and edge away from danger. Hopefully Antoine to give us a goodbye present.

im one of those who thinks once the premiership boys who ever the club start calling , sooner rather then later they will be gone . If I’m on 40k a year doing my job and someone offers me 250k to do the same job sorry I’m off . No doubt his numbers will be much higher.  Let’s hope I’m wrong - don’t think I will be though

• Like 1

Too many times this season I’ve been in the place city are playing but not able to attend ?‍♂️ I was in Lancashire at a wedding when we played away, and annoyingly I’m in Bristol today with mates but not at the game.

Hoping we can keep the spells of good football going and string it into a full 90 today. Failing that, I’ll take an underserved win which is more than possible with their iffy form

• Like 1
1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Hope that if Semenyo plays he is fully up for it. Tricky situation.

It is.  What we need to remember is that players can be fully up for it and still play below par.  I will be looking forward to reading back this thread later, for the first “his heads not right” comment.  I assume it will be after 3pm, but you never know with OTIB!!!

In all seriousness I remember watching Baker in the warm-up once and said to the guy next to me…”he looks all over the shop”…was one of those games where he came off on the first half.  At the time I wondered whether he might’ve suffered from migraines or similar.

Then again I’ve seen Weimann shank every shot in the drills and get a hatrick!! ???

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is.  What we need to remember is that players can be fully up for it and still play below par.  I will be looking forward to reading back this thread later, for the first “his heads not right” comment.  I assume it will be after 3pm, but you never know with OTIB!!!

In all seriousness I remember watching Baker in the warm-up once and said to the guy next to me…”he looks all over the shop”…was one of those games where he came off on the first half.  At the time I wondered whether he might’ve suffered from migraines or similar.

Then again I’ve seen Weimann shank every shot in the drills and get a hatrick!! ???

I'm a firm believer in getting your rubbish shots etc out the way in the pre game warm up.

As for Antoine, I think he's at the stage where every goal will increase his value. A brace or a hat-trick or a worldie and everyone's talking about him. I think he'll be right up for it.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

NP pre-match:

Mark Sykes pre-match:

They have won three and lost three of their last six games, have lost every time this season when conceding first and haven’t drawn a game this season.

Nottingham Forest are reportedly looking into the possibility of bringing Ben Brereton Diaz back to the City Ground.The Reds are in the market for a new striker this month and appear to have identified the Forest academy graduate. Blackburn are in a perilous position with their main talisman. He’s out of contract during the summer and are valuing him at £15 million, despite the fact he’s got just six months remaining on his deal.

They have made an offer for Hibernian defender Ryan Porteous as they look to bolster their Premier League promotion hopes. A 4-0 defeat last weekend away to Rotherham is a clear sign they need to improve their quality at the back if they are to cement their play-off position.

Their manager Jon Dahl Tomasson said, "We have made an offer, yes. We’re still waiting for the situation to resolve itself. Ryan has played one game for Scotland, and is a leader as well." https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64302265

Dominic Hyam is ruled out of action for four weeks meaning he will miss this game: https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2023/january/19/hyam-out-of-bristol-city-battle/

John Buckley is available after serving a suspension. Scott Wharton is also back available after a period out with concussion. Midfielder Sam Szmodics has also returned to training after a quad muscle injury, but will not be part of the squad to travel to Ashton Gate.

Blackburn Rovers ended 11 consecutive seasons of Premier League football with the ignominy of relegation in 2012. The Lancashire-based club, in a tumultuous campaign under Steve Kean, could only manage eight wins across 38 matches.

Their manager is Jon Dahl Tomasson. The former Denmark international previously managed Malmo in Sweden.

Referee is Tim Robinson, a former PE teacher, he started officiating at Football League level during the 2011/12 season, having progressed through the Sussex leagues, before moving on to the different national leagues. In December 2019 he officiated his first Primer League Game, a 1-0 for Burnley over Newcastle United. However, Robinson is mainly an EFL Championship referee.

He will be assisted by Craig Taylor and Andrew Fox. The fourth official is Robert Lewis.

Blackburn Rovers banter

• Blackburn Rovers was established in 1875, becoming a founding member of The Football League in 1888. Blackburn is one of only three clubs to have been both a founder member of the Football League and the Premier League (Aston Villa and Everton are the others).
  • Derek Fazackerley holds the record for the most League appearances for the club, with 596 between 1970 and 1987.
  • The all time record goalscorer for the club was Simon Garner, who scored 194 goals between 1978 and 1992.
  • Ex-Foreign Secretary Jack Straw or Jack John Whitaker Straw to give him his full name is a massive Blackburn Rovers fan. Other famous fans include former Doctor Who star Matt Smith, who played the Doctor between 2009 and 2013, comedian Lee Mack, Bill Beaumont former captain of the England rugby union team and Stephen Hendry, MBE, who in 1990 was the youngest ever snooker World Champion, at the age of 21. Celeb fans also include Lee Gordon McKillop stand up comedian and actor, Jim Bowen comedian and TV personality and Carl George Fogarty, known as Foggy, who is the most successful World Superbike racer of all time in terms of the number of championships and number of race wins.
  • The blue and white jersey of Blackburn Rovers was adopted from the quartered shirts of Malvern College.
  • The motto of Blackburn Rovers is 'Arte et Labore' which means 'By skill and hard work' in Latin.

Finally, and personally, it’s a bitter-sweet weekend for me. I’ll be at Ashton Gate for the game with my three lifetime best friends, we all met at Long Ashton primary school and are pensioners now!

I came across from Jersey for the funeral on Friday (at Long Ashton All Saints Church) of the last surviving parent of the four of us (Mrs C died aged 98 on Christmas Day.) I suggested that we all went to the game, for one of us I’m pretty sure it will be the first football match he has ever been to! The other two are City fans, although not regularly making it to games these days. 

For some reason, I never imagined you were a pensioner JB.

Now I know, when you write about the history of the towns whose clubs we play, you're doing it from memory! ;)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Can't go today . But Robins TV I hoping works properly today. I do feel Blackburn a very tough game if they put a performance in . But can we make the game about us, dictate play, play hard for 90 minutes? Still can't get the thought that we are  not far enough  away from bottom three yet.

COYR smash the *******

Ron Walker doing commentary for RTV today, a regular OTIB contributor I believe.

• Robin 1
19 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

NP pre-match:

Mark Sykes pre-match:

Blackburn Rovers banter

A day tinged with sadness JB but I hope you all enjoy it all the same. Raise a glass to Mrs C.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

Rovers fan in pieces (no not that Rovers). 

I attended the reverse fixture at Ewood and you were far better than us. Ex-dingle Wells was good that day, as was Alex Scott, who looked an exceptional talent at this level. 

I thought Pearson would have been sacked by now. He's possibly underachieving with the players he's got. 

Our win/lose thing is bizarre. We've only lost once when we've gone ahead, but we've never gained a single point when we've gone behind. We're good at sitting in and defending a lead, but absolutely hopeless when the onus is on us to take the game to the opposition. 

Our best defender is out injured (Hyam) and our Chilean superstar has been poor recently. Dack is still quality despite being out for 2 years with a cruciate injury in each knee. We've got some talented Academy lads in the team/squad (Adam Wharton and John Buckley are both talented midfielders) but we generally lack the quality to play how the manager wants us to play, which appears to be Barcelona of the 2000's.  Not having Messi, Xavi and Iniesta means we pass it round at the back for half an hour then spring forward like a snail - unless we've already passed it to you in our own box, which happens quite a lot. I can't remember a worse Rovers team to watch and I've been going for 50 years. Apart from that though....

It's bizarre we're fifth, but that comes down solely down our ability to defend a lead, Not a bad skill to have in your arsenal, but the natives are getting restless...

Excellent preview BTW, and I hope JerseyBean has a great day with his mates, but a shit time at the match ? 

We've sold our allocation of 1100, which is more than the team deserve after being humiliated a Rotherham 4-0. I think that's the first time they've scored since lockdown ended. 

Our fans fear another mauling today. I predict a 3-0 defeat or a 1-0 win, which is the story of our season. 

Good luck for the rest of the season, after today!