IGNORED

Zac Vyner

A Horse With No Name

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

His time was nearly up for him in a Bristol City shirt. But he has comeback and proved his doubters wrong, including me. Nigel Pearson has been a massive influence on his progression IMO. Love it

He deserves all the plaudits that he’s getting and it’s great to see a player develop at the club.

Might be contentious but I really like the way that Pearson holds the mirror up to players and challenges them to better themselves. If they improve, they get their chance to kick on again. Love it or hate it, I think that approach is going to drive out the soft underbelly that’s blighted us for years. 

• Like 8

Been outstanding this season. The last couple of months especially. His body language exudes that confidence as well. In the past he’s looked nervy and he somehow appeared smaller (if that makes sense..?) 

He now looks like a commanding presence at the back. Almost like an Alan Hansen figure. Really impressive turnaround from the lad. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

As those who sit around me in the South Stand will attest, I probably like Zac more than a 38 year old man really should... :wub:

Glad everyone else is coming around to my way of thinking finally :yes:

Got to love him, haven’t you ?

A born and bred proud Bristolian

Whats not to like ?

(I can remember when he was on loan at Plymouth; he celebrated like he had won the World Cup when Plymouth beat the 15ers at Chernobyl, having had a great game himself).

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What was good today was that he allowed Tanner to play quite wide today at RB to nullify BBD.  He didn’t need Tanner tucked in because Vale didn’t really offer any threat.

Not downplaying his performance, but him and Big Rob had a very comfortable afternoon.  Surprised Gallagher didn’t come on, guess the red card changed that?

He had a good game though, not disputing that at all.

George battled hard as well he’s a tenacious bugger which is great . Diaz did rag doll him a couple of times though. 
as soon as I saw Tanner last season I liked him he’s a proper full back . 

I really like us in a back four as it is. Pring tends to get forward more than Tanner but that allows more space for sykes/wiemann/bell 

Id like to see Sam start there against WBA next week . 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

There was another thread made after one of his other great performances. That echoed much of what's been said tonight.

He's playing well, the extent of his improvement is huge, and next season he is going to be an absolute key member of our team. I'm so pleased that he (and his academy classmate O'Leary) is doing so well.

What’s his contract situation? I know he’s on a three year that runs til the end of the season. I assume there’s a further years option that the club can exercise. (Assume, because there’d have been more concerns if not). 

In which case, not only a key member of the team next season, but one of our absolute priorities (early) next season to get under a new contract. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, italian dave said:

What’s his contract situation? I know he’s on a three year that runs til the end of the season. I assume there’s a further years option that the club can exercise. (Assume, because there’d have been more concerns if not). 

In which case, not only a key member of the team next season, but one of our absolute priorities (early) next season to get under a new contract. 

Agreed. Especially as he turns 26 in May so his next contract is his "prime years" contract. Lock him down for three years I'd say. Assuming he keeps playing as he is I'd say he has an argument to be our highest paid defender (assuming Kalas leaves at the end of the season).

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

George battled hard as well he’s a tenacious bugger which is great . Diaz did rag doll him a couple of times though. 
as soon as I saw Tanner last season I liked him he’s a proper full back . 

I really like us in a back four as it is. Pring tends to get forward more than Tanner but that allows more space for sykes/wiemann/bell 

Id like to see Sam start there against WBA next week . 

What does this mean, excuse my ignorance?

2 hours ago, One Team said:

Until this season I’ve never really rated him, thinking that the Championship just wasn’t his level. How wrong was that?! He’s been great this season and was superb today.

Also his new song is superb, the Section 82 lads did a great job slowing it right down then coming back in loud! 

Tra la la la la la la……

Was great fun in there after we scored today. 

5 hours ago, petehinton said:

Player of the season. Can’t think of anyone else who deserves to win it more atm, genuinely 

100% agree!

I never thought I'd say it but it's so true that he's been our most consistent player this season. Sign him up!!!

6 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Player of the season so far. A real credit to him to grow into the player he is becoming after all the criticism

Still makes a few catastrophic mistakes but he is improving all the time .

Fair play to the lad

When? I genuinely can't remember when that last occurred.

5 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Got to love him, haven’t you ?

A born and bred proud Bristolian

Whats not to like ?

(I can remember when he was on loan at Plymouth; he celebrated like he had won the World Cup when Plymouth beat the 15ers at Chernobyl, having had a great game himself).

Ummmm.... He was born in Southwark, London.... (Though I admit I was surprised when I found that out today!)

I disagree that he's proved his doubters wrong and I disagree that the criticism he was on the receiving end of was unjustified. He's simply been a very poor player in a poor team. On the evidence that was put before us there wasn't a championship footballer on show there.What he has done though is work bloody hard to improve on what he offered before this season. He's been fortunate that we were so knackered in defence with injuries that he was given a 25th chance. But bloody hell hasn't he ever taken that chance! By far and away the player of the season and now looks like a proper Championship defender. 

I'm glad that the majority of the supporters are finally accepting the turnaround, because until recently any little mistake he made this season was met with louder groans than for anyone else. There seems to have been a well deserved culture shift since the turn of the year.

Zak Vyner, take a bow, son.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Been absolutely brilliant recently - what a season for him so far.

Another good game yesterday, but, sorry, for balance...surprised not mentioned yet...Blackburn's goal (yes, a few others' defending is under the spot light and more popular players to criticise have been in this thread) but he is a bit guilty of ball watching there for me: he see's Dack ghosting in, steps across, but then gets dragged towards the ball and gives Dack that yard he needed.

Split second decisions, defend the area v defend the player. Maybe i'm being harsh. Maybe someone else should be tracking Dack in. But had he held off a yard there, it wouldn't have been a tap in for Dack, he might have had to take a touch etc etc...what do our OTIB coaches think @Davefevs @spudski?

But yes, agree with the thread and have been saying the same for sometime, he's developing very nicely indeed.

Edited by Alessandro

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Another good game yesterday, but, sorry, for balance...surprised not mentioned yet...Blackburn's goal (yes, a few others' defending is under the spot light and more popular players to criticise have been in this thread) but he is a bit guilty of ball watching there for me: he see's Dack ghosting in, steps across, but then gets dragged towards the ball and gives Dack that yard he needed.

Split second decisions, defend the area v defend the player. Maybe i'm being harsh. Maybe someone else should be tracking Dack in. But had he held off a yard there, it wouldn't have been a tap in for Dack, he might have had to take a touch etc etc...what do our OTIB coaches think @Davefevs @spudski?

But yes, agree with the thread and have been saying the same for sometime, he's developing very nicely indeed.

Think that is pretty harsh, he goes to defend to most obvious ball as the CD closest to the near post. If he pulls out to try and pick up Dack then he’s leaving the ball across completely unguarded and he can’t be expected to see everything behind him. He can expect those behind behind him with a better view of how it’s unfolding to do a better job of getting to Dack. That said, given most goals can be stopped with better defending and that one certainly could have, it was also a pretty good goal - decent run, good ball threaded through, good awareness to pull back and a neat finish. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Sadly I can't comment as I was unable to watch the game. When commenting on such things, highlights don't show the bigger picture. 

On a whole though...I agree Zak has improved this season.

I do think he could improve more with his reactions and physicality on occasion. What comes across as calm and collected when in control is fine...but sometimes all out reaction, and a throw yourself at it attitude is needed, even if it makes you look out of position and desperate. Baker and Kalas both did/do this when needed. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TomF said:

So what’s the contract situation like ? @Davefevs- should we be offering him a new deal? 

The situation is - OOC this summer but club hold a year option.

The easy / obvious answer is that we should at least exercise that option.  What we don’t know is what the summer plans are for CBs, inc Kalas.  I suspect we will want to tie him down for longer though.

Nice to see he has his own chant...I was half expecting Martyn Woolfords chant to be repurposed...  "He used to be shite, but now he's alright, walking in a Woolford wonderland"!

9 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Naismith and James have given Zak an awful lot to do.   Both Dack and Morton just sneak past the pair of them with neither of them reacting quick enough (in Naismiths case) or at all (James - who appears in the area after the goal has been scored.

It is a little harsh as Zak had to cover both Dack and the space that Morton was carrying the ball into after getting past Naismith.  If he covers Dack he leaves Morton with a free run on goal.  If he covers Morton then he leaves Dack free. He tried to  cover both and as a result was left a little flat footed.

image.png.8419152f3b4a9c231ba3742810f84bb1.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

I wonder if Aberdeen will try a cheeky pre-contract agreement. Scottish clubs can do that now he's got under 6 months left

I believe our contract option would trump it…and we have until the 3rd week of May to indicate whether we exercise or not.

Clearly a player who Pearson's management has worked for. But still massive credit to Vyner, must have worked his arse off. I thought he was going to be out and probably playing in league 1. Just shows you can never write players off and good management/player mentality can make a huge difference. Literally looks like a new player.