IGNORED

Who is the hardest working city player in recent times ?

The Humble Realist

Would be interested if @Davefevs has any data for distance run perhaps but as fans we all love someone who gives their all for the team even if they dont have the ability to match their peers. 

Who are the players who you think have always given their all (with or without the ability to match)?

For me

Josh Brownhill- the guy regularly was blowing on 85 mins but was still sprinting or at least trying to! He never seemed to stop. If only we had him in midfield now!

John stead- always ran his socks off, pressing,  closing down. Would often be running back to try and help the midfield too 

Andi weimann- if there is one thing everyone agrees on about weiman here and everywhere else he has been is that he will always put the work in. Never seems to stop regardless of the position he plays 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Would be interested if @Davefevs has any data for distance run perhaps but as fans we all love someone who gives their all for the team even if they dont have the ability to match their peers. 

Who are the players who you think have always given their all (with or without the ability to match)?

For me

Josh Brownhill- the guy regularly was blowing on 85 mins but was still sprinting or at least trying to! He never seemed to stop. If only we had him in midfield now!

John stead- always ran his socks off, pressing,  closing down. Would often be running back to try and help the midfield too 

Andi weimann- if there is one thing everyone agrees on about weiman here and everywhere else he has been is that he will always put the work in. Never seems to stop regardless of the position he plays 

Whilst I understand the gist of your post, running around a lot doesn't mean anything, unless it's constructive and positive. 

Someone may run a lot because they are constantly correcting their positioning.

You have to use your brain just as much as your legs to read a game.

Some of the very top players will stand still on occasion, and let others run, freeing up space for themselves. 

Even moving towards where the referee is stood is a clever move. 

• Like 4

For me it's Weimann

Not just in terms of distance covered but the intelligence of his movement and runs.

I think work rate is often stereotyped as just 'who runs the most' but I'd be interested in seeing 'number of sprints' as think that's a much better metric, as alluded to above somebody could probably amble about for 90 minutes and cover a good chunk of ground without working too hard. But Weimann has the ability to go 100% right until the end constantly making runs and pressing, think he's a freak in the best possible way! Constantly harassing opposition and officials as well as covering team mates where needed, very lucky to have had him for so long and think we are a better side with him in it!

Agree with the Stead shout above as well for similar reasons, I think what was in some ways more impressive about Stead was physically he's not as well built for it compared to people like Weimann

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, petehinton said:

IIRC we had to tell Jon Stead to stop covering as much ground as he was in games due to injury risk, which must be a first for many clubs 

Wouldnt surprise me at all. Always very popular with the fans for the effort he put in.

Wiilbraham always put a lot of work in too but is unfairly remembered in my opinion by many for 10minute cameos when we were chasing a goal. He really ran his socks off in the league one campaign 

13 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

For me it's Weimann

Not just in terms of distance covered but the intelligence of his movement and runs.

I think work rate is often stereotyped as just 'who runs the most' but I'd be interested in seeing 'number of sprints' as think that's a much better metric, as alluded to above somebody could probably amble about for 90 minutes and cover a good chunk of ground without working too hard. But Weimann has the ability to go 100% right until the end constantly making runs and pressing, think he's a freak in the best possible way! Constantly harassing opposition and officials as well as covering team mates where needed, very lucky to have had him for so long and think we are a better side with him in it!

Agree with the Stead shout above as well for similar reasons, I think what was in some ways more impressive about Stead was physically he's not as well built for it compared to people like Weimann

I don't have the metrics, but players barely sprint in games. What’s is measured as sprints are not sprints, and that is around 1% of the game. Sprinting is what is known as actualisation, actualisation is where sprinting speed is reached, and this occurs after approximately sixty metres of acceleration in a straight line. Footballers generally do not run in straight lines, rarely if ever for sixty metres and the overwhelming majority of movements in any direction/directions are less than twenty metres.

Players as a collective average do around 1,400 changes of direction.

Players walk more than they sprint. Its around 36%. Standinmg still is 18%. Jog 16%. Low speed running 15%. Moderate speed running 10%. High  running 2%. Jumping 2%. Sprinting 1%. The source there is Richard Bate former FA technical director, and Sport Dimensions development.. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

For me

Glenn Pennyfarthing, had to ride to all the games. Legend.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Whilst I understand the gist of your post, running around a lot doesn't mean anything, unless it's constructive and positive. 

Someone may run a lot because they are constantly correcting their positioning.

You have to use your brain just as much as your legs to read a game.

Some of the very top players will stand still on occasion, and let others run, freeing up space for themselves. 

Even moving towards where the referee is stood is a clever move. 

Of those I've seen first hand, Messi and Modric were / are exceptional at that - plus very short bursts from that space, creating goals...

• Like 1