IGNORED

Nikita Haikin - Confirmed

James54De

10 minutes ago, Bourne End Red said:

So is this another one for the future, or genuine competition for Max and the number 1 spot ?

im usually impressed by a highlight reel on YouTube but didn’t see anything special in that one to be honest.

hard to tell with these video clips though, we don’t seem to have had much luck with foreign keepers up to this point…

He's 27 so I'd have thought for the here and now.

Bo Andersen- don't remember much about him. Maenpaa was good! Age and injury counter against...Marinovic well the less said...

Basso was rather good, shame how it ended contract wise!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He's 27 so I'd have thought for the here and now.

Bo Andersen- don't remember much about him. Maenpaa was good! Age and injury counter against...Marinovic well the less said...

Basso was rather good, shame how it ended contract wise!

Bo was meant to be the next Schmeichel wasn’t he? ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deadredfred said:

Reckon that’s him training at the HPC there in pink? Hummel joggers at least. 

Not ITK, but heard it was taken during Pat Mountain’s ‘Marinovic Assessment’ - a goalkeeping aptitude test to ensure he’s at least basically competent and not a bus driver with feet for hands 

David Cole’s / Bobby Davro was the man behind Marinović wasn’t he?  Think he went soon after!

57 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Had a brief conversation with a Bodo/Glimt fan on Twitter. Reckons he’s an excellent ball player, good on 1 on 1s. Compared him to David Raya. Left because he wanted the challenge of playing in UK. 

Link here: 

Worth watching jbcfc on twitter, Niki likes a pass!  Not sure our fans are ready for his level of passing out from the back!

1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

Bo was meant to be the next Schmeichel wasn’t he? ?

Someone famously said that he must have looked a lot bigger in the catalogue.

Remember him playing against Man U in a friendly, he got chipped from miles out.

Reckon him & Ronnie Sinclair are the shortest 2 keepers I have seen play for us

2 hours ago, Bourne End Red said:

So is this another one for the future, or genuine competition for Max and the number 1 spot ?

im usually impressed by a highlight reel on YouTube but didn’t see anything special in that one to be honest.

hard to tell with these video clips though, we don’t seem to have had much luck with foreign keepers up to this point…

6 month contract suggests he is here to prove something, 28 doesn't suggest one for the future. 

I am not sure about your goalkeepers from abroad comment, I can point to many worse from the UK.

Jan Moller was my favourite

Bo Anderson was small but athletic 

Niki Maenpaa Mr Consistent

Adriano Basso Mr Inspirational 

I can only think of a couple of dodgy ones and they have already been mentioned.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Nikita Haikin - Confirmed

Signed til May. He's probably either going to be an obscure quiz question within a couple of years or cult hero.

Max is doing a pretty good job and Bajic will hopefully benefit greatly from his loan and first team football so will be pushing Max harder next season. Presumably, he will move on at the end of his short term contract? Overall, a good bit of business all round- the fee for Bentley will no doubt more than cover Haikin's wages and BCFC will have got one of the clubs biggest earners off the books.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Seems to be arriving fully fit. Possibly in line for some minutes on Saturday? Personally I'd probably start O'Leary and have Haikin on the bench, if his game is based on ball-playing then he will need some time to bed in and get our defenders used to that (as much as that's possible). 

Their season ended in mid November & he played pretty much every game.

Even if international clearance comes through I would be amazed if he started on Saturday, he only officially arrived yesterday & as you say would benefit from time with the squad first.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Even if international clearance comes through I would be amazed if he started on Saturday, he only officially arrived yesterday & as you say would benefit from time with the squad first.

Ah yeh the international clearance point as well. It's pretty unlikely he starts on Saturday then.

10 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Quick google in the news bit seems Rangers fans wanted him, he held talks with Everton, Wolves and Blackburn 

and decent article here about him…. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/11/04/nikita-khaykin-interview-career-salvation-stevenage-thrashing/

This article is a bit confusing. He says he couldn’t play competitive matches because he had a Russian and Israeli passport. He now has a British passport but doesn’t explain how he got one. Any idea?

Seems fairly obvious to me he's come here to play games. Saturday would be the ideal opportunity to give him a start, as it could be justified to Max as giving the new boy a run out and a rest for Max.

Either way, I'd expect Haikin to get a run of games in the first team sooner rather than later. 

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This article is a bit confusing. He says he couldn’t play competitive matches because he had a Russian and Israeli passport. He now has a British passport but doesn’t explain how he got one. Any idea?

Lived in England for four years as a teenager.

• Like 3