IGNORED

Nikita Haikin - Confirmed

James54De

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah we can agree to disagree on that.

Technically sound CBs? Possibly yes. Interested in the mental aspect though, Atkinson and his error v Swansea was appalling e.g. There is a time to play and a time to hit it longer or take a safety option nor sure I'd advocate the long ball approach either.

Hitting it long vs a pair of CBs is quite difficult- we're not a long ball side but it's about finding that balance really.

I'm not advocating long ball tactics...I just see many British teams trying to play out from the back, in a very deep way...inside the 18 yard box...and how easy it is for teams to press and force a mistake, that within seconds leads to a goal or near miss. 

The anxiety that also brings has a knock on affect.

I truly believe the majority of teams that employ this tactic, in this country aren't tactically and technically proficient enough, under intense press and energy. ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Reckon that’s him training at the HPC there in pink? Hummel joggers at least. 

Not ITK, but heard it was taken during Pat Mountain’s ‘Marinovic Assessment’ - a goalkeeping aptitude test to ensure he’s at least basically competent and not a bus driver with feet for hands 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

His spoken English is very good so no issues there.

Guess we don’t need a work permit so if we are just waiting on international clearance I’d expect him to be on the bench v West Brom.

I'd expect that, he's a British citizen to be fair.

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm not advocating long ball tactics...I just see many British teams trying to play out from the back, in a very deep way...inside the 18 yard box...and how easy it is for teams to press and force a mistake, that within seconds leads to a goal or near miss. 

The anxiety that also brings has a knock on affect.

I truly believe the majority of teams that employ this tactic, in this country aren't tactically and technically proficient enough, under intense press and energy. ?

You might like this then.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2023/jan/18/lower-league-football-premier-league-pyramid

Though the piece as a whole is ludicrously overstated (has he never seen Plymouth play for instance?) how about this bit?!?

During those rare passages of actual play, prevailing tactics have done little to increase the entertainment value. Whereas tiki-taka has been used by elite clubs to elude opponents with snappy, progressive passes, the lower-league parody has seen the centre-back pass to the other centre-back, to the goalkeeper, to the deep-lying midfielder, to the centre-back, to the goalkeeper. Bored yet? If you’re not, try a stab of acute despondency instead, as that same centre-back is caught in possession and the ball gleefully thrashed into your team’s net.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You might like this then.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2023/jan/18/lower-league-football-premier-league-pyramid

Though the piece as a whole is ludicrously overstated (has he never seen Plymouth play for instance?) how about this bit?!?

During those rare passages of actual play, prevailing tactics have done little to increase the entertainment value. Whereas tiki-taka has been used by elite clubs to elude opponents with snappy, progressive passes, the lower-league parody has seen the centre-back pass to the other centre-back, to the goalkeeper, to the deep-lying midfielder, to the centre-back, to the goalkeeper. Bored yet? If you’re not, try a stab of acute despondency instead, as that same centre-back is caught in possession and the ball gleefully thrashed into your team’s net.

That's a brilliant quote ?

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Awkwardly there were at least three saves where he pushes the ball out into dangerous areas, something that Bents was often guilty of. Mountain will hopefully knock that out of him. 
Otherwise, I know diddly and he is a top keeper signed on a free. 
Welcome Nikita. 

I thought he looked like he only did that where it was likely to go to a  defender to be cleared?

20 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

I am probably wrong, but the 5th? save in that video looks like it was from a certain Gustav Engvall, hasn't he been in Norway recently?

36 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Awkwardly there were at least three saves where he pushes the ball out into dangerous areas, something that Bents was often guilty of. Mountain will hopefully knock that out of him. 
Otherwise, I know diddly and he is a top keeper signed on a free. 
Welcome Nikita. 

He only actually made clean catches of three in all that lot! We're going to be VERY nervous in the closing minutes of any future match. I might start leaving early à la Dolman.......

4 minutes ago, Bourne End Red said:

So is this another one for the future, or genuine competition for Max and the number 1 spot ?

im usually impressed by a highlight reel on YouTube but didn’t see anything special in that one to be honest.

hard to tell with these video clips though, we don’t seem to have had much luck with foreign keepers up to this point…

He's 27 so I'd imagine he's for the here and now..

It looked to me that one on one he's very good, bit Basso like with a couple of old school saves.

He looks to be rapid in coming off his line to close down attackers.

Very difficult to judge based on a couple of minutes show reel, but he's obviously a very competent keeper given his background.

• Like 3