IGNORED

Nikita Haikin - Confirmed

James54De

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm all for ' footballing' type keepers...but seriously, does anyone think our defenders are capable of receiving the ball in the 18 yard box, under a high press, and being able to move, pass, and take advantage of the space in behind?

Prem players are incapable without making mistakes. How could anyone trust our lot to do so?

The playing out from the back, drawing players, using the keeper, all in the 18 yard box has been laughable in this country.

I would say yes to some extent , mistakes will happen but it is also a bit like with Naismith risk v reward.

Vyner's propensity to err has reduced significantly and we know Atkinson is decent technically, can carry it. I also think Naismith in front can also drop back into a 3 in certain phases. Kalas if fit and in form while less expensive than the rest can be conservative technically but sound if that makes sense. (Granted can isn't always the same as will).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would say yes to some extent , mistakes will happen but it is also a bit like with Naismith risk v reward.

Vyner's propensity to err has reduced significantly and we know Atkinson is decent technically, can carry it. I also think Naismith in front can also drop back into a 3 in certain phases. Kalas if fit and in form while less expensive than the rest can be conservative technically but sound if that makes sense. (Granted can isn't always the same as will).

That's cool...but we can agree to disagree on this aspect. I don't see anything that will reward us in playing short under a high press with our players..let alone better ones.

I feel it's the one tactic being employed in British football that we aren't technically good enough to take advantage off.

Too many times, it leads to losing the ball, or conceding.

Then you have the knock on affect of mistakes,band players then playing cautiously or nervously.

I don't think we are technically good enough or mentally. 

It's the one tactic that I feel coaches/ managers in this country get wrong, and think the players are capable of doing it well on a regular basis.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's cool...but we can agree to disagree on this aspect. I don't see anything that will reward us in playing short under a high press with our players..let alone better ones.

I feel it's the one tactic being employed in British football that we aren't technically good enough to take advantage off.

Too many times, it leads to losing the ball, or conceding.

Then you have the knock on affect of mistakes,band players then playing cautiously or nervously.

I don't think we are technically good enough or mentally. 

It's the one tactic that I feel coaches/ managers in this country get wrong, and think the players are capable of doing it well on a regular basis.

Yeah we can agree to disagree on that.

Technically sound CBs? Possibly yes. Interested in the mental aspect though, Atkinson and his error v Swansea was appalling e.g. There is a time to play and a time to hit it longer or take a safety option nor sure I'd advocate the long ball approach either.

Hitting it long vs a pair of CBs is quite difficult- we're not a long ball side but it's about finding that balance really.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah we can agree to disagree on that.

Technically sound CBs? Possibly yes. Interested in the mental aspect though, Atkinson and his error v Swansea was appalling e.g. There is a time to play and a time to hit it longer or take a safety option nor sure I'd advocate the long ball approach either.

And a one-off. 

Obviously we notice when playing from the back causes a goal or a dangerous incident, but statistically I am sure it's no worse than giving away possession further down the pitch by hitting long hopeful balls. It just takes longer to see the results. I am sure @Davefevswill have some data on this.

• Like 2

After playing European football the last few years I doubt he’s here to sit on the bench but time will tell. 
what I’m more impressed with was how his deal was obviously done before bents was allowed to leave . As was discussed earlier, let’s hope that’s the case if Antoine leaves. 

Edited by steviestevieneville