IGNORED

Nikita Haikin - Confirmed

James54De

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Seems fairly obvious to me he's come here to play games. Saturday would be the ideal opportunity to give him a start, as it could be justified to Max as giving the new boy a run out and a rest for Max.

Either way, I'd expect Haikin to get a run of games in the first team sooner rather than later. 

Lived in England for four years as a teenager.

Also mentions in one interview that he’s taken the British nationality test & passed it, you get the impression that was in the relatively recent past from how he spoke.

Bound to have helped to avoid work permit issues.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Also mentions in one interview that he’s taken the British nationality test & passed it, you get the impression that was in the relatively recent past from how he spoke.

Bound to have helped to avoid work permit issues.

Yes, he's said something like "it was always my ambition to return to English football" too. So guessing that's what inspired the nationality test.

Good Athletic interview with him here from a few months ago, talking about his oppsition to the invasion of Ukraine and his background

https://theathletic.com/3655637/2022/10/05/nikita-haikin-bodo-glimt/

https://archive.is/l5ux8 (alternative link if the Athletic one is paywalled)

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, Cannybluff said:

Song is easy...

Oh nikita you're our number one..

It depends on how you pronounce his surname. If Haiken rhymes with hiking, the song “I love to go a wandering” is ideal 

Edited by pongo88

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Has Max's year option been exercised yet by the club ? If not there is every chance that Haikin could stay as number one next year with Bajic number two.

I know that at the start of the season it was Max that was supposed to be moving on as he felt he needed to be number 1 somewhere, but Bajic turning up with a hand in plaster stopped him going. Whether his mindset has changed or whether he thinks he will always be eventually relegated to number 2 I don't know.

I can't see how Nigel could drop him right away without going against his own, "people wearing the shirt" ethos. He has done nothing wrong and is getting stronger game by game. I think it will need to take an injury, a poor performance or a costly mistake to see him step aside.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, spudski said:

That's cool...but we can agree to disagree on this aspect. I don't see anything that will reward us in playing short under a high press with our players..let alone better ones.

I feel it's the one tactic being employed in British football that we aren't technically good enough to take advantage off.

Too many times, it leads to losing the ball, or conceding.

Then you have the knock on affect of mistakes,band players then playing cautiously or nervously.

I don't think we are technically good enough or mentally. 

It's the one tactic that I feel coaches/ managers in this country get wrong, and think the players are capable of doing it well on a regular basis.

I agree we're probably not good enough to confidently play out like the top teams do.

We don't necessarily need to start playing perfect passing football to benefit from a keeper who is good with his feet though, having someone comfortable receiving the ball under pressure and decent distribution will still be good for us

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Has Max's year option been exercised yet by the club ? If not there is every chance that Haikin could stay as number one next year with Bajic number two.

Bajic seems a long way from being a number two to me, bearing in mind that a number 2 is only one incident away from being a number 1 for a run of games. If Bajic had to be promoted to number 1 because Haikin got injured I’d be pretty concerned. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Bajic seems a long way from being a number two to me, bearing in mind that a number 2 is only one incident away from being a number 1 for a run of games. If Bajic had to be promoted to number 1 because Haikin got injured I’d be pretty concerned. 

With Bentley always going it is vital we have someone who can push Max and keep him on his toes. Bajic isn’t that keeper yet and will benefit from minutes in France. Signing the new lad is as good a deal as getting Bentley off the wage bill. Good business by the club.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Depending on how this goes, it might be that we look to get Bajic out on loan somewhere for next season too whilst Haikin and Max battle to be No.1 here.

Both O'Leary and Haikin are technically out of contract in June. So there's a lot of flexibility in how we fill the GK role next season. Club are really only tied in with Bajic (until June 2025). Either of the other two could be let go, extended on new terms, or in the case of O'Leary I think we have a year option to extend on existing terms.

So it's really flexible and honestly any one, or none, of the three could be in the Number 1 shirt in August.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2