IGNORED

Alex Scott

steviestevieneville

12 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

God he’s scarily good. Wouldn’t it just be amazing if he wanted to stay with us and we could build a team around him.

It would... but it ain't gonna happen.

To take the fantasy further, a fully firing Conway and Bell front line with Scott pulling the strings, would be Roy of the Rovers stuff.

• Robin 1

The reality is that for us to keep any young player with Premier League aspirations at best we would either need a season long loan-back or promotion ourselves which would probably still only get us a year more. The pressure is for us to keep producing quality players from the Academy and investing the proceeds on good players. If we do it consistently enough we may generate enough cash to fund a genuine promotion bid. 

• Like 1

Just now, Johnny Musicworks said:

The reality is that for us to keep any young player with Premier League aspirations at best we would either need a season long loan-back or promotion ourselves which would probably still only get us a year more. The pressure is for us to keep producing quality players from the Academy and investing the proceeds on good players. If we do it consistently enough we may generate enough cash to fund a genuine promotion bid. 

We just need to be actual promotion contenders, we're then in a better position to hold on to players. Every club will sell players, although clubs with quality players who are in genuine contention for promotion aren't selling key players every season. We've seen other clubs make decisions on who stays and who goes and the players that they've kept have dragged them over the line to the Premier League.

We're a few years away from that though.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KegCity said:

We just need to be actual promotion contenders, we're then in a better position to hold on to players. Every club will sell players, although clubs with quality players who are in genuine contention for promotion aren't selling key players every season. We've seen other clubs make decisions on who stays and who goes and the players that they've kept have dragged them over the line to the Premier League.

We're a few years away from that though.

We also need to be in a position  whereby selling can go back into the side with up to 100 pct of proceeds. E.g. 

£30m turnover, allowable FFP loss £13m...the highest it needs to be to avoid and this is moving forward is £13m in 1 year or £39m in 3.

I make our FFP allowances £6-7m per season therefore the final pre tax loss with zero player sales must not exceed £19-20m- Total full operating costs must not exceed £49-50m.

Last season was £59-60m and a £29-30m pre tax loss (£28.5m after player sales) so- yet fortunately I believe we are approaching a point whereby any sale would be net of FFP and therefore all the proceeds could go back in to strengthen the team.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We also need to be in a position  whereby selling can go back into the side with up to 100 pct of proceeds. E.g. 

£30m turnover, allowable FFP loss £13m...the highest it needs to be to avoid and this is moving forward is £13m in 1 year or £39m in 3.

I make our FFP allowances £6-7m per season therefore the final pre tax loss with zero player sales must not exceed £19-20m- Total full operating costs must not exceed £49-50m.

Last season was £59-60m and a £29-30m pre tax loss (£28.5m after player sales) so- yet fortunately I believe we are approaching a point whereby any sale would be net of FFP and therefore all the proceeds could go back in to strengthen the team.

That's also a huge factor and something I'm not going to pretend I fully understand! If Scott goes for 25m ish in the summer then we'd surely be healthy FFP wise?

18 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

He strikes me as a perfect fit for Brighton’s style of football. 

No reason he can’t go straight to one of the so called ‘bigger’ clubs though, I can see him in a Spurs shirt before too long.  

Go abroad and develop into an elite player away from the scrutiny of England. After seeing Bellingham, Sancho and others succeed away from England I don't know why you'd want to move to a big club right away as a young English player. One week he's the best thing England have ever produced and a guaranteed Balon D'or winner, the next he's labelled a donkey and a failure. Go enjoy your football in Germany or Italy and come back as a World Class player.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Do we have any idea how far we have reduced the wage bill? Ie are we ever going to hit break even without player sales? Lots of issues I assume - eg end of Covid, resumption of stadium income (concerts etc).

12 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Do we have any idea how far we have reduced the wage bill? Ie are we ever going to hit break even without player sales? Lots of issues I assume - eg end of Covid, resumption of stadium income (concerts etc).

Pretty much the only ways we break even without player sales are a) promotion or b) a new deal between the EFL and PL that gives us more cash.

Most Championship clubs spend at least 100% of income on wages. Per our latest accounts - which cover last season - we are currently spending around 140% of our turnover on wages (down from about 200% in recent seasons). Turnover (at football club level - so excluding stadium income) was £16.65m, wages were £23.8m*. To break even we'd have to get that % well below 100% in order to allow us to cover other overheads and costs.

*Down £6.4m from £30.2m in the previous season - a 21% reduction.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, KegCity said:

That's also a huge factor and something I'm not going to pretend I fully understand! If Scott goes for 25m ish in the summer then we'd surely be healthy FFP wise?

Wasn't looking that far forward just posting a general overview but the potential Scott sale would absolutely set us fair for some time yep, would give NP some decent cash to spend too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

Go abroad and develop into an elite player away from the scrutiny of England. After seeing Bellingham, Sancho and others succeed away from England I don't know why you'd want to move to a big club right away as a young English player. One week he's the best thing England have ever produced and a guaranteed Balon D'or winner, the next he's labelled a donkey and a failure. Go enjoy your football in Germany or Italy and come back as a World Class player.

Alex Scott is a Donkey, and quite lilely proud to be one.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=guernsey+donkey

• Haha 1