IGNORED

Norwich fan seeking recommendations

CanaryCouple

I was in the new tap room place out the back of Bristol beer factory the other day ahead of the last home game. It was a nice setup, but there was no sound on the early BT sport kick off (Chelsea vs someone ), they were playing some music instead. Not sure of they will give you the audio for the rugby that’s all. If they will then it’s a great shout 

Edited by internetjef

Just now, internetjef said:

I was in the new tap room place out the back of Bristol beer factory the other day ahead of the last home game. It was a nice setup, but there was no sound on the early BT sport kick off (Chelsea ha someone ), they were playing some music instead. Not sure of they will give you the audio for the rugby that’s all. If they will then it’s a great shout 

Have to say, that's a pet peeve of mine... if you're showing live sport, commit to it! Really annoys me if somewhere says they're showing the match and then it's on a 14" TV hanging from the ceiling while whatever passes for chart music these days is blaring through the speakers. If I want to watch sport, I want to hear it too... even if it's Jonathan Davies moaning ;)

2 hours ago, CanaryCouple said:

Many thanks for the replies, folks. We've booked in at Izakaya one night as we're keen on Japanese food, and we're planning to check out some craft beer places (Wiper & True, Small Bar, Left Handed Giant). Wife usually likes wearing her Norwich shirt to games, but might be more sensible to go incognito... I like the idea of the bar at the ground post-match. Most places we go people tend to be friendly, Norwich fans don't tend to make many enemies on their travels :)

Not been, but heard Izakaya is very good.

Always had a soft spot for Norwich, many years ago I played cricket (very badly) for a team who had an old boy in it who was a massive Norwich fan, never forgotten him turning up to keep wicket on the day after going to a playoff final, his usual long grey beard was dyed half yellow & half green, he looked brilliant, but ridiculous.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

FFS. Ignore some of the comments. You won’t get any problems at AG even in the Sports Bar. Few years ago mite have been different, but against Norwich! I don’t think so. Safe as houses with yer missus. AG is a peaceful ground nowadays. Enjoy Brizzle.

The bouncers might not let them in with colours.   

50 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

FFS. Ignore some of the comments. You won’t get any problems at AG even in the Sports Bar. Few years ago mite have been different, but against Norwich! I don’t think so. Safe as houses with yer missus. AG is a peaceful ground nowadays. Enjoy Brizzle.

I took my kids in there to watch the womens euros final last year,, a couple were in there with the lady in a germany football top, she got a right load of verbal at the end and had to leave before there was a scrap when her fella rightly defended her… nothing would surprise me with some of our 6 fingered fellow supporters, i wouldnt wear away colours in there.

3 hours ago, CanaryCouple said:

Many thanks for the replies, folks. We've booked in at Izakaya one night as we're keen on Japanese food, and we're planning to check out some craft beer places (Wiper & True, Small Bar, Left Handed Giant). Wife usually likes wearing her Norwich shirt to games, but might be more sensible to go incognito... I like the idea of the bar at the ground post-match. Most places we go people tend to be friendly, Norwich fans don't tend to make many enemies on their travels :)

If you like old fashioned pubs the Seven Stars near Left Handed Giant is worth a visit.

Craft beer wise Sidney and Eden is supposed to be good.

Welcome to Bristol bud, hope you and the wife have a cracking time and enjoy the rugby if not the football ?

Do NOT go to Small Bar, they don't serve actual pints!

I know you've had a million recommendations but Merchants Arms in Hotwells does great beer and will probs have the rugby on. Cosy, real pub and away fan friendly 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

The bouncers might not let them in with colours.   

Funnily enough though that is counter intuitive. I know someone who does doors in town and he told me it's not uncommon.

Yet fans with replica shirts e.g. are far less likely in the main, to cause a security risk than fans in certain uniforms although that 2nd bit is a tad stereotypical of me.

Talking more widely not just Sports Bar.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

16 minutes ago, DaveF said:

If you like old fashioned pubs the Seven Stars near Left Handed Giant is worth a visit.

Craft beer wise Sidney and Eden is supposed to be good.

If you’re in that area (close to Left Handed Giant), the Mecca of real ale pubs is The Cornubia. Not easy to spot squeezed in amongst the new buildings but another ?fantastic pub. It used to be the ‘tap’ room for Courages when it was brewing on the site that is now LHG.
The Kings Arms around the corner is another unique type of pub with its seating arrangement. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Funnily enough though that is counter intuitive. I know someone who does doors in town and he told me it's not uncommon.

Yet fans wirh replica shirts e.g. are far less likely in the main, to cause a security risk than fans in certain uniforms although that 2nd bit is a tad stereotypical of me.

Oh 1000% agree. ‘Scarfers’ very very rarely cause any issues at all.  

• Like 1

Re: Left Handed Giant, I'd recommend getting the Bristol Ferry (if during the day) as one of the stops is opposite the LHG and you can walk over the bridge. The ferry is a great way of getting around and seeing the site, especially if you come down by train to Temple Meads or are staying in the centre, have fun!  https://www.bristolferry.com/waterbus/

BAD74FDB-F6BE-428E-8A97-331C6A38DB0D.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I took my kids in there to watch the womens euros final last year,, a couple were in there with the lady in a germany football top, she got a right load of verbal at the end and had to leave before there was a scrap when her fella rightly defended her… nothing would surprise me with some of our 6 fingered fellow supporters, i wouldnt wear away colours in there.

WTAF is wrong with some people!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CanaryCouple said:

Then stop winning so often at Ashton Gate.

If you are supporting the reds at Rugby, I could lend you a shirt and scarf. But we'll probably not do any better than last weekend against those things from the island west of Wales.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Always had a soft spot for Norwich, many years ago I played cricket (very badly) for a team who had an old boy in it who was a massive Norwich fan, never forgotten him turning up to keep wicket on the day after going to a playoff final, his usual long grey beard was dyed half yellow & half green, he looked brilliant, but ridiculous.

Spent a fantastic long weekend there with some mates last year. Particularly liked the Kings Head in Magdalen Street as not only did they have lots of interesting ales, but the staff and locals were great VFM. Though, as@CanaryCouple will doubtless be able to tell you, Norwich is full of decent boozers, many of them with very interesting histories.  We all booked to do a repeat visit this year. 

2 hours ago, Bob Turnip said:

Recommend trying New Bristol Brewery - they are just refurbishing their tap room, but will be completed end of Feb. Plus they will have Asado on site if you like a burger. Think they show the rugby too.

New Bristol Brewery | Hands-on Beers

ASADO - Amazing Wood Grilled Burgers Bristol (asadobristol.com)

Seconding New Bristol Brewery. Hard to pick a favourite Bristol Craft Beer brewery but it is right up there. Moor beer is a great one, too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red DNA said:

If you’re in that area (close to Left Handed Giant), the Mecca of real ale pubs is The Cornubia. Not easy to spot squeezed in amongst the new buildings but another ?fantastic pub. It used to be the ‘tap’ room for Courages when it was brewing on the site that is now LHG.
The Kings Arms around the corner is another unique type of pub with its seating arrangement. 

The Cornubia is a great pub , get some interesting characters in their.

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Re: Left Handed Giant, I'd recommend getting the Bristol Ferry (if during the day) as one of the stops is opposite the LHG and you can walk over the bridge. The ferry is a great way of getting around and seeing the site, especially if you come down by train to Temple Meads or are staying in the centre, have fun!  https://www.bristolferry.com/waterbus/

BAD74FDB-F6BE-428E-8A97-331C6A38DB0D.jpeg

You need to check it’s running these days though. Since lockdown it’s been a lot more sporadic than before but their Twit feed is usually pretty accurate with what they are doing.

If you’re on a budget, then the Mardyke might be the place for you. It’s on the way back to town and I promise it’ll be an experience you’ll never forget.

ps. If you’re not an experienced cider drinker, I’d suggest giving Cheddar Valley a wide berth. Try a half perhaps, but venture beyond that at your peril 

3 hours ago, fisherrich said:

No bother from fans of course, it wouldn’t surprise me if the stewards had a blanket ban on away fans post game though.

6 hours ago, CanaryCouple said:

We're blessed with some great craft ale places in Bristol, including those 3. Enjoy your stay, apart from the 90 minutes of misery from 3pm.?

2 hours ago, Loïs said:

Welcome to Bristol bud, hope you and the wife have a cracking time and enjoy the rugby if not the football ?

Do NOT go to Small Bar, they don't serve actual pints!

I know you've had a million recommendations but Merchants Arms in Hotwells does great beer and will probs have the rugby on. Cosy, real pub and away fan friendly 

4:45 ko might be a stretch post match.

My recommendation would be the sports bar at AG. The chap and his wife will be fine however I would just bring a non football top in a bag to remove all doubt as they will be in Briz for four days I suspect Mrs Canary will have one. @CanaryCouple

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1