IGNORED

Norwich fan seeking recommendations

CanaryCouple

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

4:45 ko might be a stretch post match.

My recommendation would be the sports bar at AG. The chap and his wife will be fine however I would just bring a non football top in a bag to remove all doubt as they will be in Briz for four days I suspect Mrs Canary will have one. @CanaryCouple

Good plan, thanks... we'll do that. Definitely makes sense to watch it at the ground, so we'll miss as little of the match as possible. Although if you guys get your wish, we might as well knock it on the head at half-time and go and watch the end of the Ireland-France game... :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Spent a fantastic long weekend there with some mates last year. Particularly liked the Kings Head in Magdalen Street as not only did they have lots of interesting ales, but the staff and locals were great VFM. Though, as@CanaryCouple will doubtless be able to tell you, Norwich is full of decent boozers, many of them with very interesting histories.  We all booked to do a repeat visit this year. 

I know the Kings Head well, we actually play for one of their bar billiards teams! But yeah, we're blessed for good pubs, and most of the good ones seem to have survived the pandemic. The Fat Cat Brewery has three pubs around the city and frequently wins CAMRA national awards. Look forward to seeing how many of your fine tipples and ale houses we can squeeze into three days. I'm not much of a cider drinker, but when in Rome and all that... :)

• Flames 1

18 minutes ago, CanaryCouple said:

Good plan, thanks... we'll do that. Definitely makes sense to watch it at the ground, so we'll miss as little of the match as possible. Although if you guys get your wish, we might as well knock it on the head at half-time and go and watch the end of the Ireland-France game... :)

I`d suggest you buy a City top and she could slip that on but I doubt the shop will have any........................................

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`d suggest you buy a City top and she could slip that on but I doubt the shop will have any........................................

But I already have a City top... just sayin'...

EDIT: the missus is a bit obsessed with your goalie's tops with the mad patterns on them, she'd probably wear one of those!

Edited by CanaryCouple

9 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Better still, seeing that we have had plenty of yellow and green second strips over the years, just stick a Bristol City badge over the Norwich City one. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, CanaryCouple said:

Part timer!  :laugh: 

On the match….It’s not the best time for anyone to play us. You’ll enjoy Alex Scott probably the best player we’ve ever had, we have already knocked back huge offers. 

Sam Bell has just broken into the team and can’t stop scoring and Wells is playing out of his skin. Looking forward to it!

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Twice in pubs up North ive been asked if I'm from Norwich, the accent must sound similar up north, pull off the accent your golden around bemmy cc

When a Truck driver I was parked not far from Upton Park so went to see West Ham play Norwich.

Getting a beer in the ground someone said your in the wrong end mate.

Thought i was a Norwich Fan

7 hours ago, CanaryCouple said:

Many thanks for the replies, folks. We've booked in at Izakaya one night as we're keen on Japanese food, and we're planning to check out some craft beer places (Wiper & True, Small Bar, Left Handed Giant). Wife usually likes wearing her Norwich shirt to games, but might be more sensible to go incognito... I like the idea of the bar at the ground post-match. Most places we go people tend to be friendly, Norwich fans don't tend to make many enemies on their travels :)

Avon packet ten minute walk on way back to Temple meads No grief in there away friendly. And they will show egg chasing .

• Like 1

On 03/02/2023 at 17:11, CanaryCouple said:

Hi everyone, Norwich fan in peace. My wife and I are coming down to Bristol for our away match on Saturday 11th – we've been looking to come to Bristol for a while as we've heard it's a great city, and we're booked into a city-centre hotel from Thursday to Sunday. 

Primarily we're looking for a pub that'll be showing the rugby after the match – Wales v Scotland kicks off at 4.45, so the closer to the ground the better. Obviously it'd need to be away-fan-friendly, but it's just the two of us and we're very friendly types :)

Any other recommendations for must-do, must-visit, must-eat or must-drink are gratefully received... although the cheaper/better-value the better, as we're certainly feeling the pinch like most people at the moment.

Anyway, looking forward to a great weekend and a great match to boot – we certainly seem to like playing high-tempo and high-press under our new manager David Wagner, so you should certainly get chances! How are you finding life under Nigel Pearson? Does he still retain the majority of the fans' support?

Cheers,
Matt.

Very friendly types ( your not swingers are you )???

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

4:45 ko might be a stretch post match.

My recommendation would be the sports bar at AG. The chap and his wife will be fine however I would just bring a non football top in a bag to remove all doubt as they will be in Briz for four days I suspect Mrs Canary will have one. @CanaryCouple

Mr. Canary is no doubt thinking along similar lines.

While we are having an East - West love in, I also really like Norwich as a City. I did some work there either side of Xmas the year before lockdown at Aviva and really enjoyed it. 

The only downside is where it is, there was nothing more depressing on a Friday evening than seeing a sign saying "London 120 miles", knowing that wasn't even half your total journey. :(

It will be interesting to see what the Norwich fans think of Scott in comparison to Maddison at a similar stage of his career. 

On 06/02/2023 at 13:14, elhombrecito said:

Shocked to hear that somebody from Norwich would be interested in watching the rugby.

Back in 2007, me and @The turtletried unsuccessfully to find a decent bar to watch the Rugby World Cup final (yes the final, with England in it) after we'd played at Carrow Road. The only place we could find was some random bar, where the vast majority of the customers were dancing the night away while about ten of us stood watching the rugby (with no sound).

My only conclusion from this was that the nice folk of Norwich had no time for the rugby!

Sensible people.

10 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Feedthewolf reckon you and Mrs Wolf might need to stay a bit longer to make the most of our lovely City. Check out Denmark Street…..https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/hidden-gems-denmark-street-you-6585376?fbclid=IwAR0vsihHeiZzzhjzO9Xe-QqsfT5zOg3My-u9NSPjxCMD6ItBtzABFHfOo8k

Haha, someone's been doing some detective work on our NCFC fans' forum! :)

We'll add Denmark Street to the list... plenty of Denmark/Danish history in Norwich too. Might have a wander round before we go to Izakaya on Friday afternoon.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

While we are having an East - West love in, I also really like Norwich as a City. I did some work there either side of Xmas the year before lockdown at Aviva and really enjoyed it. 

The only downside is where it is, there was nothing more depressing on a Friday evening than seeing a sign saying "London 120 miles", knowing that wasn't even half your total journey. :(

It will be interesting to see what the Norwich fans think of Scott in comparison to Maddison at a similar stage of his career. 

Haha yeah, we are something of an outpost! The A11 (main route to London) is currently being resurfaced, so it's down to a single lane for the next few months... and trying to get to Norwich from the west via the A17 is absolutely soul-sapping. Well worth it when you get there, though – we're very proud of our 'fine city'.

As for Alex Scott, from the bits and bobs I've seen of him so far he shares more similarities to Emi Buendía – he seems a bit more robust and willing to get stuck in than Maddison, and Buendía was more flamboyant with his footwork than Maddison too.

Maddison's greatest gift was the seeming ability to slow down time; even at 19 years old, he managed to make time and space for himself to make his passing seem effortless. A fair amount of clips of Scott show him in wider positions – again, that's more of a Buendía trait. Emi nominally started on the right of an attacking three, but could pop up across the full width of the pitch and magic his way out of seemingly impossible spots.

I'm sure that BCFC fans (and fans in general) would consider Maddison a much better player than Buendía, but in the Championship Emi was simply a cheat code. We did well to hang onto him as long as we did – we persuaded him to stay after our relegation in 2020, and during our title season of 2020/21 we played the best football I've seen in 35+ years of watching Norwich (sadly, lockdown meant that we never got to see it in the flesh).

If you can't keep hold of Alex beyond the summer, I hope you get an astronomical fee for him – although, as we found out when we sold Emi, it's impossible to replace weapons like those in a like-for-like fashion. As has been said elsewhere, cherish every minute you get to watch him (although naturally I hope he has a stinker on Saturday!).

Edited by CanaryCouple
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CanaryCouple said:

Haha yeah, we are something of an outpost! The A11 (main route to London) is currently being resurfaced, so it's down to a single lane for the next few months... and trying to get to Norwich from the west via the A17 is absolutely soul-sapping. Well worth it when you get there, though – we're very proud of our 'fine city'.

As for Alex Scott, from the bits and bobs I've seen of him so far he shares more similarities to Emi Buendía – he seems a bit more robust and willing to get stuck in than Maddison, and Buendía was more flamboyant with his footwork than Maddison too.

Maddison's greatest gift was the seeming ability to slow down time; even at 19 years old, he managed to make time and space for himself to make his passing seem effortless. A fair amount of clips of Scott show him in wider positions – again, that's more of a Buendía trait. Emi nominally started on the right of an attacking three, but could pop up across the full width of the pitch and magic his way out of seemingly impossible spots.

I'm sure that BCFC fans (and fans in general) would consider Maddison a much better player than Buendía, but in the Championship Emi was simply a cheat code. We did well to hang onto him as long as we did – we persuaded him to stay after our relegation in 2020, and during our title season of 2020/21 we played the best football I've seen in 35+ years of watching Norwich (sadly, lockdown meant that we never got to see it in the flesh).

If you can't keep hold of Alex beyond the summer, I hope you get an astronomical fee for him – although, as we found out when we sold Emi, it's impossible to replace weapons like those in a like-for-like fashion. As has been said elsewhere, cherish every minute you get to watch him (although naturally I hope he has a stinker on Saturday!).

The laugh emoji was for the last remark. Thank you for the rest, that's very interesting. I think one thing that is nailed on is Scotty getting booked Saturday. I think this is a good time to serve his ban and get fresh for the shop window game against Manchester City.

Enjoy your time here, it's a shame you are not here a little longer, I would have invited you to come down to Portishead and see why it's so bloody expensive to live here. :)

While you are here, try not to think about the upcoming 7 hours on a Megabus on the way home. :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CanaryCouple said:

I was in Sherringham and Holt last weekend, plenty of Norwich fans there

Weather here looks fine during your stay so perfect for a walk round the Harbourside.

If you're staying centrally do a circular walk starting and finishing at the Horned Bridge, about an hour or so with no stops.

Plenty of places to eat and drink on the way depending on your taste, but the Nova Scotia is a great old pub with really good value food and the Grain Barge top deck a very pleasant area to sit outside on a fine day, as is The Cottage Inn.

Another good walk if you're feeling reasonably energetic is to go up the wooded Zig Zag path (a favourite of Queen Victoria when staying in Clifton as a child) from the bottom of Bridge Valley Road for a good sight of the Bridge from many angles and then plenty of places to eat and drink in Clifton Village, including the Coronation Tap, a famous old cider pub.

Then walk down the Promenade, cross the top of Bridge Valley, and on to the Downs to take in the view from Sea Walls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Weather here looks fine during your stay so perfect for a walk round the Harbourside.

If you're staying centrally do a circular walk starting and finishing at the Horned Bridge, about an hour or so with no stops.

Plenty of places to eat and drink on the way depending on your taste, but the Nova Scotia is a great old pub with really good value food and the Grain Barge top deck a very pleasant area to sit outside on a fine day, as is The Cottage Inn.

Another good walk if you're feeling reasonably energetic is to go up the wooded Zig Zag path (a favourite of Queen Victoria when staying in Clifton as a child) from the bottom of Bridge Valley Road for a good sight of the Bridge from many angles and then plenty of places to eat and drink in Clifton Village, including the Coronation Tap, a famous old cider pub.

Then walk down the Promenade, cross the top of Bridge Valley, and on to the Downs to take in the view from Sea Walls.

I'm exhausted just reading that ;)

• Haha 1

Please buy your tickets in advance as there will be
NO PAY ON THE DAY and this will NOT be changed

There is no hard copy match day programmes any more,
on line version available free of charge on the web site.
generally availble by the Thursday.
A hard copy can be purchased at a cost of five pounds,just ask for further info.

The congestion zone has arrived which includes some areas around Ashton Gate,even the council don't like us.
Check if your car is compliant HERE

www.bristol.gov.uk/residents/streets-travel/bristols-caz/charges-and-vehicle-checker

Coming by road.
Do NOT USE M4/M32 route and don't try to negotiate the roads and streets of Bristol

If you are coming by road use M4/M5 southbound to junction 18(Avonmouth) then follow signs A4 Bristol airport
It looks the long way round but its quicker.
Parking is normally in the streets around the area as long as you are there by 13:00pm please don't block drive ways or park on corners.

Coming by train:
please have your tickets issued to Parson Street, same price at BTM,even if you don't use the station.
It will take you two thirds of the way to the ground and then walk the rest of the way.
It will go some way towards getting a new train station nearer to Ashton Gate
Split tickets can used using paddington/didcot/BTM(parson street)
Great western Railway also have group save buy two returns and the third one is free
Good train times to Parson street from London and the North departing Bristol temple meads 13:26pm 13:55pm and 14:26pm.
If you board at Parson Street,you can avoid the ticket gates/barriers at Bristol temple Meads

Casualty and Holby City were filmed in the City don't ask me about either of the programmes because I think their both rubbish
The young ones was also filmed in the BS7 area of the City(actually its Bishopston)
Finally the block of flats on the left behind the dolman stand side as you are in the away end is "the" block of flats in "fools and horses"
Bring your camera and turn up early if you want to take any photo's
Pubs not sure of which ones will be open,possibly best one are in the cumberland road basin area novia scotia pump house and the cottage.

BBC Radio station is radio Bristol which has frequencies and 94:9 and 95:5 and DAB.
and the match commentary will be on BBC radio Bristol

Please circulate to any other football forums and footy fans you may deem fit
If you need any further info,don't be afraid to ask