IGNORED

John Cleese to `resurrect` Fawlty Towers

Lanterne Rouge

44 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

The 12 episodes that were made were individual masterpieces…..you just can’t improve on perfection IMO ….:yawn:

All the best sitcoms were better for their short duration. They didn`t run so long that they became stale and laboured. 

Two prime examples : Father Ted & The Naked Gun

• Like 3

The humour used back then would be seen as offensive these days. I'm not sure how it could compare. 

The fact that Basil was portrayed as a complete nutter and what he said was often ' inappropriate ', and we laughed at him rather than with him, would be lost these days. 

I can't see from his character what he would be allowed to poke fun at now, for fear of causing offense.

• Like 5

Can't see why they're bringing it back (well I can - money), but it was so popular and funny because of the time it was done. You couldn't get away with a lot of it now, because it's not "PC enough" and will always offend somebody somewhere.

I love the originals, even though they're older than me, and will quite happily sit through an episode (or two) if it's on when I'm flicking through the channels. 

This is a huge risk though. Would it tarnish the originals a bit if it flopped? I don't think it would, but the bar is going to be set so high from day one, that it's really going to have to go some to do well.

How many more anagrams can be made out of Fawlty Towers?

If it's to work it has to maintain that cutting humour. I'm not sure John Cleese has the energy or voice for that any more, maybe another character can provide it and John will play more of a disapproving elderly relative.

Have many shows have successfully come back, Auf Wiedersehen Pet springs to mind. It must be nearly 50 years since Fawlty Towers finished. Will it be so different that they may as well call it something else? Then again if the writing is strong it could be good regardless.

9 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

How many more anagrams can be made out of Fawlty Towers?

If it's to work it has to maintain that cutting humour. I'm not sure John Cleese has the energy or voice for that any more, maybe another character can provide it and John will play more of a disapproving elderly relative.

Have many shows have successfully come back, Auf Wiedersehen Pet springs to mind. It must be nearly 50 years since Fawlty Towers finished. Will it be so different that they may as well call it something else? Then again if the writing is strong it could be good regardless.

Wafty Towlers?

In a non 'woke' world, it had all the potential of being very funny for the writers.

Imagine the Character Basil, having to deal with, and come to terms with the various ' characters ' that would visit his hotel these days. 

If you were allowed to film the humour that was allowed back in the 70s, and relate it to various scenarios that could possibly happen now, it would be carnage. 

Imagine Basil dealing with 'illegal immigrants/asylum seekers' awaiting their hearing, being put up in his hotel. ??

Or the scenarios if a transgender couple stayed. ??

Post Brexit not being able to get a foreign chef/ waiter. ???

The writers could have a field day. 

A Conny like character trying to educate him. 

Lots of potential to be highly funny...but wouldn't get aired. Or if it did would be all over social media with people being offended.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, spudski said:

In a non 'woke' world, it had all the potential of being very funny for the writers.

Imagine the Character Basil, having to deal with, and come to terms with the various ' characters ' that would visit his hotel these days. 

If you were allowed to film the humour that was allowed back in the 70s, and relate it to various scenarios that could possibly happen now, it would be carnage. 

Imagine Basil dealing with 'illegal immigrants/asylum seekers' awaiting their hearing, being put up in his hotel. ??

Or the scenarios if a transgender couple stayed. ??

Post Brexit not being able to get a foreign chef/ waiter. ???

The writers could have a field day. 

A Conny like character trying to educate him. 

Lots of potential to be highly funny...but wouldn't get aired. Or if it did would be all over social media with people being offended.

Thank goodness 'humour' has moved on from the 1970s! Sounds atrocious. 

It will flop and then Cleese will go on GB news and blame it on the guardian-reading, tofu-eating, wokerati 

• Hmmm 1

17 minutes ago, !james said:

It will flop and then Cleese will go on GB news and blame it on the guardian-reading, tofu-eating, wokerati 

Has humour moved on? Are you basing that on what you watch just in this country?

We are just being told what you aren't allowed to laugh at. Told how to think and laugh 

Comedy is like Art, music ...you can't tell people or make them like or not like it.

Have you watched the likes of RAi in Italy? And other mainstream coverage in the likes of Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Turkey to name just a few? It's very similar to how it was in the past.

Only in the recent past, of the likes of Inbetweeners and little Britain...now shelved. 

Yet you can still watch all of these programmes from the 70s and more recent on catch up and other outlets.

Sadly many can't see the opportunity of how they could educate through humour.

Imagine the buffoon character of Basil doing and saying everything politically incorrect, and the likes of Conny educating him on what's right and wrong? 

Wouldn't happen as the minority would shout loudest and not see the scenario. Laughing at him, rather than with him.

What I find so hypocritical, is that mainstream TV and media go Politically ' correct'...that we are told it's not funny, not to laugh at certain subjects, not to make jokes in public about certain subjects...yet it's ok to be a stand up comedian, and we as the public, pay our money to watch them at a theatre, and laugh in that situation...but couldn't repeat the same things publicly in the street. 

The Pub landlord, Jimmy Car spring to mind. 

It's so hypocritical. 

• Like 6

2023 Comedy is generally filled with political statements and agenda's being pushed, I can't think of a single comedian or comedy show that is put on right now that will resemble me even cracking a laugh out of, it's bland, it's boring and all very safe. The last good comedy series in the UK was This Country.

Thank god I was born to see Top Gear with Hammond, Clarkson and May, The Office (UK), Little Britain, The Inbetweeners, I'm Alan Partridge and Peep Show all come out in a period when comedy was not politically driven and not taken over by very average comedians that suit the image the BBC, Channel 4 and Channel 5 are looking to put on their screens.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, spudski said:

The humour used back then would be seen as offensive these days. I'm not sure how it could compare. 

The fact that Basil was portrayed as a complete nutter and what he said was often ' inappropriate ', and we laughed at him rather than with him, would be lost these days. 

I can't see from his character what he would be allowed to poke fun at now, for fear of causing offense.

From the little I’ve read about the show being resurrected it’s going to be based on how Basil is coping in the modern World with all the technology that he doesn’t understand / make work. It may be mildly amusing but as already stated Cleese (like Billy Connolly) has had his time and his humour now is a little embarrassing these days. 

Just now, Red DNA said:

From the little I’ve read about the show being resurrected it’s going to be based on how Basil is coping in the modern World with all the technology that he doesn’t understand / make work. It may be mildly amusing but as already stated Cleese (like Billy Connolly) has had his time and his humour now is a little embarrassing these days. 

Most sit coms these days are embarrassing, as they aren't funny, so he'll be in good company. 

I much prefer stand up.

I find Joe Lycett hilarious. Eddie Izzard was fantastic live. Both very clever comedians. 

If I do watch any sitcom's it will be repeats of stuff from the past. 

Mrs Slocombes wet pussy still makes me giggle. 

Inbetweeners, Little Britain, Fast show... brilliantly written and highly amusing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, !james said:

There were some bad ones, but there were plenty of gems from the past too. Lately it seems to be endless panel shows with the same old faces, or observational comedy that has lots of observations, but often forgets to be funny. I'm not seeing the quality of the writing anymore.

Human frailty in common life situations has often been at the heart of some the best comedy moments. Concerns about how much you can push that frailty these days, along with cost cutting on things like sitcoms means comedy for me has lost it's edge a bit. 

Laughing at other peoples expense can still be funny, as long as it's all done in the best possible taste !