IGNORED

4th best stadium outside the Prem

Porto Red

16 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

To be fair, I do love AG. As rebuilds go, it's hard to think of many better. The concourse is brilliant and the Lansdown looks amazing on the skyline. 

Our stadium reminds me of that old song nice legs shame about the face the face being the Atyeo stand, I'm sorry but it just lets the side down for me and is now looking pretty sorry for itself compared to the rest of the ground, what we could do about it? who knows. 

Edited by pillred
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

I think the rebuild of the Atyeo will be the ultimate challenge between making Ashton Gate look like an identi-kit stadium, or having an amazing feature\end that other clubs can be envious of.

IMO, and I've banged the drum a lot for this over the years, the Atyeo would be absolutely amazing as a huge single tiered stand, but would be reliant on removing the houses behind.

If we have a similar stand to the South Stand, it will just make Ashton too much of a flat pack stadium.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Percy Pig said:

Precisely my worry, and the only solution really available to us at thus point would be a mirror of the Dolman and SS. 

A "Kop" end would be really cool in the future, but we are never likely to have crowds big enough to justify that level of expense. 

...unless the rumour is true about a new consortium is looking to buy out SL but it's all dependent on how the stadium can be increased in capacity going forwards.

(note: that was a rumour on another thread on OTIB - so nothing concrete)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pillred said:

Our stadium reminds me of that old song nice legs shame about the face the face being the Atyeo stand, I'm sorry but it just lets the side down for me and is now looking pretty sorry for itself compared to the rest of the ground, what we could do about it? who knows. 

You could say the same about Valley Parade. three superb sides then that godawful double decker away "stand" !

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I think the rebuild of the Atyeo will be the ultimate challenge between making Ashton Gate look like an identi-kit stadium, or having an amazing feature\end that other clubs can be envious of.

IMO, and I've banged the drum a lot for this over the years, the Atyeo would be absolutely amazing as a huge single tiered stand, but would be reliant on removing the houses behind.

If we have a similar stand to the South Stand, it will just make Ashton too much of a flat pack stadium.

Just drop the idea of a large stand there.

Unless there is a catastrophic collapse in house prices, it would cost far too much time and money to buy that lot up. In time it is most likely that it is knocked down and a replacement put in place that connects to the rest of the ground. I suspect that will happen when the Dolman needs to be replaced. The top of it has a shelf life for certain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pillred said:

I kinda agree, but as a temporary measure it would be easy to steam clean all the white roof metalwork that has got 30 years of dirt on it, and replace the seating with new red seats to match the other stands? Maybe fill the tunnel in as well? Why we didnt do this when we did all the other work im not quite sure?! We could also cover the “bristol” in the dolman stand, it might be left like that to placate the rugby team but as the home stadium of bristol city it looks unfinished?

• Like 1

Just now, Simon bristol said:

I kinda agree, but as a temporary measure it would be easy to steam clean all the white roof metalwork that has got 30 years of dirt on it, and replace the seating with new red seats to match the other stands? Maybe fill the tunnel in as well? Why we didnt do this when we did all the other work im not quite sure?! We could also cover the “bristol” in the dolman stand, it might be left like that to placate the rugby team but as the home stadium of bristol city it looks unfinished?

Actually its not that big compared to the dolman, it could have the outer brick work covered over with cladding to match the other stands as well?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

To be fair, I do love AG. As rebuilds go, it's hard to think of many better. The concourse is brilliant and the Lansdown looks amazing on the skyline. 

I’m sure many of us can remember AG prior to the rebuild - two of the four stands had become tired and worn out, including the old EE where many stood, sang and chanted for decades. 

However, times change and the redevelopment was long overdue. Now AG is a really decent stadium.

One negative tho is the difficulty in creating a decent atmosphere despite the efforts of the singing section, poorly situated in the corner of the SS - but that’s a different topic.

Not reference to stands, but when the concourse approach(through the Wickes area)  finally gets done the impression for fans coming into the ground will be awesome. I’m guessing the existing entrance for pedestrians past KFC will become obsolete?

Edited by Red DNA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pillred said:

The Atyeo has always looked pretty rubbish, from the back and the front IMO, and it stands out even more now when the rest looks great!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m sure many of us can remember AG prior to the rebuild - two of the four stands had become tired and worn out, including the old EE where many stood, sang and chanted for decades. 

However, times change and the redevelopment was long overdue. Now AG is a really decent stadium.

One negative tho is the difficulty in creating a decent atmosphere despite the efforts of the singing section, poorly situated in the corner of the SS - but that’s a different topic.

When 24 odd thousand City fans are all singing (aka the Man Utd game) there were no people saying the atmosphere was rubbish because of the stadium design etc etc. If more people sing then the atmosphere will be better, it's nothing to do with the design or the acoustics or where a small band of singers are sat.

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

When 24 odd thousand City fans are all singing (aka the Man Utd game) there were no people saying the atmosphere was rubbish because of the stadium design etc etc. If more people sing then the atmosphere will be better, it's nothing to do with the design or the acoustics or where a small band of singers are sat.

As I said - that’s a different topic.

• Hmmm 1

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Reading your post i was 100% expecting a PA system comment. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

Dubnobasswithmyheadman far superior, of course 

Released on 24 Jan 1994. Had it on the walkman for our away game the very next day.

Liverpool 0 City 1.

What a journey home that was - Brian Tinnion + Underworld = just about the best legal high you can get. Who needs drugs!

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Strange list. Has somebody rebuilt Hillsborough since I was last there? I mean it was great in 1966 when it was used for the World Cup, but all I’ve read recently suggests it is a big but crumbling liability for the club. Their fans seem to feel it needs an absolute fortune spent on it to update it.

10 minutes ago, TomF said:

It's a really odd list.  The likes of Huddersfield's ground is far superior to either of the top two.  Also the likes of Norwich, Derby and Swansea might have something to say.

I would disagree about Huddersfield which looks decent from the outside or from an aerial shot but is a major disappointment once you're inside. Derby is a clone of Middlesbrough's Riverside and everytime I look at the roof I see Wolf from Gladiators crawling upside down on it. Although the family stand side is a little disappointing I rather like Deepdale especially the floodlight pylons at each corner