IGNORED

Norwich City at home match thread

41 minutes ago, redkev said:

The slightly and I say it in the nicest way disappointing performance from Scott may well work in our favour , the prem big boys may well just hold off a little longer or even perhaps buy in the summer and loan back to us . 
how often do think he would play in a prem team and would it be a top 6 team top 10 or a Bournemouth type team .

hate to see him go to a prem team and just sit on the bench .

Nothing wrong in a 19 yr old sitting on the bench for a season with the likes of Man City. Training week in week out with the likes of De Bruyne, Haaland etc whilst learning his trade from the masters. Didn't do Foden any harm long term.

3 minutes ago, CanaryCouple said:

You're probably aware that Mehmeti came through the Norwich academy. Saw him play a couple of times for our reserves and he didn't look like much of a player... really pleased for him that he's forged a career for himself.

On the plus side, Matt, it was nice to see Adam Idah back in the fold today, thought he looked lively when he came on.

Watched him as a 17-year-old in your u23's at Reading where he was one of the most impressive strikers at that level I'd seen. Career seemed to take off meteorically then fall flat equally quickly (think he had off-field issues!) but now he seems to be on the mend again. Wish the lad luck, hundreds of others have done what he's done and not come back.

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

That for me was the most enjoyable match of the season so far- good atmosphere and we matched one of the more experienced sides in the league to a man.

Well done city 

Same for me. To use a cliché this was an end to end match. It was far more entertaining than the score line suggests. It would be interesting to know how far every player ran during the match. It must be high 

59 minutes ago, fanjita said:

Shout out to Nakhi Wells today, he ran his socks off

For some reason the Post online only gave him 6 out of 10. Admittedly he did a few poor passes but his work rate and chasing down was excellent. 

1 hour ago, CanaryCouple said:

Just wanted to pop my head in and say well done today. Not too much between the teams but you had the clearer chances.

As I predicted, McLean struggled at DM and Scott ran the midfield, and Giannoulis at LB was a liability.

Now in Bristol Beer Factory watching the rugby and hoping to sample a few more of Bristol's fine hostelries before we head back in the morning.

Will be keeping an eye out for your results, and hopefully see you at Wembley in May. Thanks again for your recommendations, and we'll definitely be coming back for another crack at your great city!

Matt

Glad you enjoyed it, apart from the result.  As I said above it was a really good “end to end” match between two good teams. I’m sure many Norwich fans expected a win, based on City’s league position, but form since the beginning of 2023 has been excellent. As an aside, did Delia try a Clarks pie whilst in Bristol? 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I find this quite an unexciting way to view things, the same as all the "enjoy him whilst he's here" stuff about Scott.

If you're being pragmatic about it, playoffs would probably be unlikely. But we're playing well, have momentum and gaining confidence - nothing wrong with looking up the table instead of down and enjoying the ride. 

If you can’t dare to dream what’s the point of any of it!

15 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

On the plus side, Matt, it was nice to see Adam Idah back in the fold today, thought he looked lively when he came on.

Watched him as a 17-year-old in your u23's at Reading where he was one of the most impressive strikers at that level I'd seen. Career seemed to take off meteorically then fall flat equally quickly (think he had off-field issues!) but now he seems to be on the mend again. Wish the lad luck, hundreds of others have done what he's done and not come back.

I'm not aware of any off-field issues, although he has had ongoing muscular issues that have hampered his progress. A friend of mine is from the same town in Ireland and watched him come up through the ranks. He has all the tools to be an excellent player, other than that laser-guided instinct in front of goal. We've just given him a five-year contract, so he's very highly thought of, but he needs a run of goals to build that confidence.

Wasn't helped by playing as a lone striker for ROI in a failing team with very little service!

• Like 1

I would have pulled the trigger on Nige after West Brom on Boxing Day, most clubs would have pulled it long before that. It felt like we were miles away and regressing. Games felt toxic. 

Today it became clear to me that only now are we seeing a Nigel Pearson constructed Bristol City. Today’s performance was the archetype of my expectation when he arrived. 

Patience is a virtue in football. 

• Like 5

Another really good performance against a good side.

Defense outstanding. Pring superb but Tanner MOTM for me. As Nige said, best performance in a city shirt so far. Put his body on the line and didn’t give their wingers a sniff.

Matty James and Williams superb in the middle. Another goal for Syksey who worked hard.

There’s a real togetherness and spirit with these lads and I’m really enjoying watching them. Playing well but also really likeable lads. Hopefully we can keep gates like that at the gate.

What a difference 6 weeks makes.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I would have pulled the trigger on Nige after West Brom on Boxing Day, most clubs would have pulled it long before that. It felt like we were miles away and regressing. Games felt toxic. 

Today it became clear to me that only now are we seeing a Nigel Pearson constructed Bristol City. Today’s performance was the archetype of my expectation when he arrived. 

I wish this was a lesson for all fans

Change isn't always necessary 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, 22A said:

Yet again a City win, but the oppos once again put it down to them being rubbish.

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/151413-official-lapps-match-thread-brizzle-away/page/6/#comments

We are miles off the playoffs and haven’t beaten a top six side all season. We will finish between 9th and 16th I think

Wow, that was utterly turgid. Dare I say, Dean Smithesque.

That was utter cack, we are clearly not good enough as a squad to unlock well organized teams

Then there was this thread;

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/151415-cost-of-bristol-city-team-that-weve-played-today/

1. O'Leary - £0 (youth)
  2. Tanner - £300k
  3. Atkinson - £1.6m
  4. Vyner - £0 (youth)
  5. Pring - £0 (youth)
  6. Williams - £725k £1.25m
  7. James - £0 (free agent)
  8. Sykes - £0 (free agent)
  9. Scott - £0 (youth)
  10. Bell - £0 (youth)
  11. Wells - £4.75m £2.80m
  12. Mehmeti - £5m £1.00m
  13. Cornick - "low six figures", lets call it £300k
  14. Weimann - £2m

£14.7m and yet, we're no better than them. We're no younger than them. We're 3 points apart in the table. 

All imho. £8.25m.

47 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Remember that next time we lose! ?

Enjoyed NPs grin as he spoke about players being welcomed to the Club but not being allowed to feel comfortable on the pitch - nail on head for me. Consistently under LJ too many were allowed to just turn up and turn out, NP has certainly turned that around and when he has spoken about changing the culture he has been careful not to criticize what went before.

https://youtu.be/2naZbs0bOsU

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mozo said:

Nige was right to replace Wells and Bell who just didn't look on it. 

Sykes has been a revelation. Great lad.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Thought Wells and Bell both got through a lot of chasing down and it was more a case of introducing fresh legs - nice option to have. 

Reckon either Wells or Bell would have scored from the chance Cornick wasted, but fair enough to swap them out when he did.

Yep, both worked their nuts off, Bell managed to contribute a bit more to our attacks, but even though things didn’t really go for Wells there were a couple of lovely controls and layoffs.

2 hours ago, CanaryCouple said:

Just wanted to pop my head in and say well done today. Not too much between the teams but you had the clearer chances.

As I predicted, McLean struggled at DM and Scott ran the midfield, and Giannoulis at LB was a liability.

Now in Bristol Beer Factory watching the rugby and hoping to sample a few more of Bristol's fine hostelries before we head back in the morning.

Will be keeping an eye out for your results, and hopefully see you at Wembley in May. Thanks again for your recommendations, and we'll definitely be coming back for another crack at your great city!

Matt

Funny innit, I thought McLean had a good game, your other midfielders were all “fur coat and no knickers”, and I can see them going missing when the going gets tough.  Giannoulis I thought was good second half, but Sykes had the better of him when we got attacks.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

A caller to Radio Bristol said he ‘didn’t want to get carried away with this run as it can all change so quickly’.  What a sorry way to look at things.  Get carried away…try to enjoy it!  

I was more frustrated that he wanted to talk about Rovers and the Gas Supporters Team he runs.  What’s Al, that about?  Even 20Man had to keep asking him to talk about City.

To be fair, Tanner was playing it down too.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yep, both worked their nuts off, Bell managed to contribute a bit more to our attacks, but even though things didn’t really go for Wells there were a couple of lovely controls and layoffs.

Funny innit, I thought McLean had a good game, your other midfielders were all “fur coat and no knickers”, and I can see them going missing when the going gets tough.  Giannoulis I thought was good second half, but Sykes had the better of him when we got attacks.

McClean was the best of their midfielders, thought both Dowell and the Brazilian number 17 were poor. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

so pleased for pearson, at least now when he leaves,nobody can say they never saw what he had to deal with on and off the field and no other manager can walk in and take the credit for sorting the mess out. hes getting there and its now showing.   

Today felt like the performance Nige has been building up to…to take on an ex-PL team with lots of good players on paper and then make it bloody hard for them, and importantly not feel a bit of inevitability that we will give a goal away, etc.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Today felt like the performance Nige has been building up to…to take on an ex-PL team with lots of good players on paper and then make it bloody hard for them, and importantly not feel a bit of inevitability that we will give a goal away, etc.

tbh Dave, i thought it was going to be  a goal fest with both teams tryinng to win by outscoring the other. i always get it so wrong?

Absolutely brilliant result today in front of a packed Ashton Gate - how many times have we seen City play poorly in front of a big crowd?

Love the way that Tanner was simply focussing on the next game - win on Wednesday and it sets us up nicely for Sunderland away next Sat

Well played Nige, the management team, players and supporters today ??

#ONETEAM

• Like 5