IGNORED

County Cricket 2023 Season

phantom

An awful day for cricket. I can’t disagree with anything that I’ve read either.  Elitism is massive across the county set up.  Seen examples of sexism as well at club level.  I’ve not seen so much racism but that’s probably because I’m a member and coach at a club that is extremely inclusive with ethnic minorities making up 30% of the players across youth and adult players.  

ECB have given themselves 3 months to come up with a plan of action. Will be interesting to see what they decide. I’ve little faith, sadly. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

It's a real production line. I've not seen Rew live yet, how's his keeping?

35 minutes ago, Super said:

Me neither. Probably one for @PHILINFRANCEand @ralphindevon

He seems very tidy, one of those you rarely notice behind the stumps.  I’ve certainly never seen him have any really bad days.

I’m no keeping expert but I think it’s a bit like goalkeepers in that you can do a lot of improving the more games you get under your belt and his batting may be ahead of his keeping.

I remember watching him for England U19s before he’d played for Somerset and was so impressed by his batting but wondered if he could impress at first class level, it soon became clear he could.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Super said:

We've been very lucky with Keeper/batsmen over the years. This lad is some talent.

We certainly have.

I go back to Bill Alley days, so remember (very vaguely) Harold Stevenson, who, as well as being an excellent wicketkeeper, was also a very accomplished batsman.

My genuine memories of wicketkeeper/batsmen, though, are Derek Taylor, who was around throughout the 1970s; Jim Parks, really a Sussex player, but he played for us for a season or two in the early 1970s, and then Rob Turner.

Thereafter, of course, came what I would call the true wicketkeeper/batsmen such as Craig Kieswetter, Jos Buttler, (perhaps even Steve Davies) and now, the embarrassment of having two excellent ones in Tom Banton and James Rew.  

I have probably forgotten one or two, but that is my best shot - no pun intended.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Me neither. Probably one for @PHILINFRANCEand @ralphindevon

To be honest, I have only seen James Rew play from watching the live stream, so leave those who have seen him live comment on this point. 

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

We certainly have.

I go back to Bill Alley days, so remember (very vaguely) Harold Stevenson, who, as well as being an excellent wicketkeeper, was also a very accomplished batsman.

My genuine memories of wicketkeeper/batsmen, though, are Derek Taylor, who was around throughout the 1970s; Jim Parks, really a Sussex player, but he played for us for a season or two in the early 1970s, and then Rob Turner.

Thereafter, of course, came what I would call the true wicketkeeper/batsmen such as Craig Kieswetter, Jos Buttler, (perhaps even Steve Davies) and now, the embarrassment of having two excellent ones in Tom Banton and James Rew.  

I have probably forgotten one or two, but that is my best shot - no pun intended.

Who was the keeper back in the days when we had Big Bird, Viv and Beefy?

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Derek Taylor, along with Jim Parks for a season if I remember correctly.

Yes Derek, middle  name Somerset, Taylor was the main wickie in that time but Trevor Gard also kept quite a bit to those 2.

Jim Parks wouldn't have ever kept to Garner

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes Derek, middle  name Somerset, Taylor was the main wickie in that time but Trevor Gard also kept quite a bit to those 2.

Jim Parks wouldn't have ever kept to Garner

Yes, now you mention it, Joel Garner didn't arrive until the late 1970s, did he?

Jim Parks was only here for that one season (or was it two?), but early/mid 1970s.

I had forgotten about Trevor Gard, but have just thought of Neil Burns, who could also bat. 

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yes, now you mention it, Joel Garner didn't arrive until the late 1970s, did he?

Jim Parks was only here for that one season (or was it two?), but early/mid 1970s.

I had forgotten about Trevor Gard, but have just thought of Neil Burns, who could also bat. 

Neil Burns was an interesting character and a good keeper, i think he came to Somerset when the big 3 had all departed. 

He married Glen Hoddle's ex wife i seem to remember