IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

12 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I think you'll find that football in 1970 has changed little compared to football today. Still 22 players on the pitch kicking the same size football towards the same size goal with both teams wearing different colours to differentiate themselves officiated by a person in the middle assisted by two running either line. 

I fail to perceive what's rose tinted about my experience of watching football back then to watching football today. Basically, the colour and style of kit Bristol City wear to differentiate themselves from their opponents I got 100% behind back then as I do today. I had the Bristol City 1970 kit back then as I have the Bristol City shirt of 2023 today and was/am equally proud to wear both. So where the heck does having a rose tinted experience come into this? I experienced and experience the same thing now as I did then and find it condescending that you should belittle my experience.

Erm, football hasn’t changed much since the 70’s??…. Well, brand, material, fit that’s changed? I’d love to buy the heavy cotton shirts and sew my own badge on… but like i say, the worlds moved on. Oh, and football in the 70’s no thanks. Don’t want to go back to those days, rose tinted or not.

• Like 1

Just now, SouthStand Sandwich said:

Erm, football hasn’t changed much since the 70’s??…. Well, brand, material, fit that’s changed? I’d love to buy the heavy cotton shirts and sew my own badge on… but like i say, the worlds moved on. Oh, and football in the 70’s no thanks. Don’t want to go back to those days, rose tinted or not.

I never said I wanted those days. If anything I am making the point that today is far better so that's why I don't understand the complaints! 

I still play football two to three times a week and I can assure you that today's shirts are much better than the heavy cotton shirts (via Toffs) that catch the rain and make one sweat buckets. 

I apologise if my original post led anyone to think that I wished us to go back to that type of kit and how it was acquired. No way. My point was I got behind the team even when the kit was so basic and I get behind them now when kits are far more stylish (and more comfortable to wear). 

12 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Sorry but I have to say this:

Who cares what the #### we wear. I couldn't give a toss if we are sporting red g strings with a badge featuring a constipated robin trying and failing to have a bowel movement as long as we win 4-0 at Leicester.

I couldn't give a toss if we are wearing a washed out yellow shirt with a splat robin with vibrant yellow socks that don't match as long as we beat Southampton at St Mary's six bloody nil. 

Christ, I cannot imagine if social media existed in 1909 and Bristol City displayed their choice of BLUE change kit for the FA CUP FINAL that Edwardian City fans (several just a handful of years from meeting their deaths in the trenches) would've been up in arms about this choice of colour and threatening not to attend at the Crystal Palace to cheer on the lads and casting aspersions at the director they considered responsible.

Jeez, get a life. We are Bristol City. We are a football club. We are not a bunch of Mary Quants. 

There’s a ignore button. Use it 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

I never said I wanted those days. If anything I am making the point that today is far better so that's why I don't understand the complaints! 

I still play football two to three times a week and I can assure you that today's shirts are much better than the heavy cotton shirts (via Toffs) that catch the rain and make one sweat buckets. 

I apologise if my original post led anyone to think that I wished us to go back to that type of kit and how it was acquired. No way. My point was I got behind the team even when the kit was so basic and I get behind them now when kits are far more stylish (and more comfortable to wear). 

Clubs especially bristol city want their brand/kits to be seen as iconic and fashionable and have worked hard the last few years with hummel to ensure the kits and brand were just that. 

The reason people are rightly pissed off is they have thrown that out of the window by picking an uncool brand who have uncool designs and then on top of that the quality is shoddy and poor with new random logos all over the place.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Sorry but I have to say this:

Who cares what the #### we wear.

The majority of our fans probably care. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think a stance of "who cares?" would put you in the minority. Badges and kits are important to fans of almost every club. 

This isn't purely an issue of fashion as you seem to reduce it to. To think of it this way is, IMHO, rather naive.

The badge and kit of the club is arguably the most fundamental element of the club's identity. The badge is an emblem that, for many, represents one of their greatest passions in their life - their football club. Fans get tattoos of their football team's badge. Fans buy memorabilia featuring their football team's badge.

To remove the club's badge from the front of the kit is sacrilegious. It's like removing the crucifix from a church's alter. The badge represents the city, the club, the fanbase......fans want to see it on the front of their team's football kit. The best illustration of the importance this has to football fans? Go to most clubs in the country and ask fans what their main expectation of their players is. One of the most common answers you'll get is "I want to see players playing for the badge".

It's understandably a frustration for many fans that the main visual element of the club's identity is being tampered with (without consultation), and for no other reason than the fact that the owner's son likes designing things as a hobby. The associated drop in quality and professionalism that seems to have come with Jon Lansdown's tinkering adds further insult to injury.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

17 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Clubs especially bristol city want their brand/kits to be seen as iconic and fashionable and have worked hard the last few years with hummel to ensure the kits and brand were just that. 

The reason people are rightly pissed off is they have thrown that out of the window by picking an uncool brand who have uncool designs and then on top of that the quality is shoddy and poor with new random logos all over the place.

Spot. On.

Just to think someone earlier on in this thread thought that O’Neills were the surfing manufacturer.. if only that were the case… what we have is an uncool brand, as the poster says, worn by a niche  sports league (the GAA) a few random lower league scots team, non-league outfits also Wycombe who were only too pleased to get rid of them … chosen by that leading fashionista, junior lansdown (see Bristol sport leisure wear for further evidence of his crimes)

TINPOT …. Remove him from any future design input.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

The majority of our fans probably care. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think a stance of "who cares?" would put you in the minority. Badges and kits are important to fans of almost every club. 

This isn't purely an issue of fashion as you seem to reduce it to. To think of it this way is, IMHO, rather naive.

The badge and kit of the club is arguably the most fundamental element of the club's identity. The badge is an emblem that, for many, represents one of their greatest passions in their life - their football club. Fans get tattoos of their football team's badge. Fans buy memorabilia featuring their football team's badge.

To remove the club's badge from the front of the kit is sacrilegious. It's like removing the crucifix from a church's alter. The badge represents the city, the club, the fanbase......fans want to see it on the front of their team's football kit. The best illustration of the importance this has to football fans? Go to most clubs in the country and ask fans what their main expectation of their players is. One of the most common answers you'll get is "I want to see players playing for the badge".

It's understandably a frustration for many fans that the main visual element of the club's identity is being tampered with (without consultation), and for no other reason than the fact that the owner's son likes designing things as a hobby. The associated drop in quality and professionalism that seems to have come with Jon Lansdown's tinkering adds further insult to injury.

Yes, apart from O’Neills and their shoddy gear.. the changing of the badge without consultation is also sacrilegious … spot on post again. 

Junior - are you listening?

need to create  a poll on this to get a real feel of fans views…

24 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Spot on. ?

45 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Fair points 

On 15/07/2023 at 10:29, Olé said:

Jesus effing christ I hadn't seen that section.

This has finished me off now. Clipart we're so extraordinarily proud of we made a t-shirt with it on the front AND on the back. Because you can never have too many copies of the same image. This is all totally normal behaviour. I am convinced there's some imbecile sat at Ashton Gate using desktop publishing software, beaming proudly at every basic clipart layout they can come up with like a 4 year old at the end of art class. 

2520-471.jpg 4293.jpg

Surely nobody is buying that? Outside of Bristol ,and possibly only City fans, nobody is going to know that represents us. Just looks like you’re wearing a shit T-shirt with a naff bird on it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

You make some excellent points and one of the reasons I originally posted my views in a somewhat provocative manner was to stimulate debate and you have supplied a good argument.

Of course in my 53 years of attending Ashton Gate I have seen City in some kits that I simply haven't liked and worn a badge with 1897 displayed when 1894 was the foundation date (although 1887 if one follows the Bedminster/Southville line back) and I frequently argued the toss about it on here. Thankfully, that has been rectified by the much maligned Jon Lansdown. So by my own admission I haven't always practiced what I preach about putting up with whatever is churned out for us. 

• Thanks 1

On 15/07/2023 at 17:59, REDOXO said:

I couldn’t agree more. I haven’t bought one in years, so decided to get one along with my season ticket and my nephews season ticket (his was free and his seat was only about 60 quid)

Bad season to get one maybe, but as someone alluded the alternative is not having a good quality shirt, it’s not having the current City shirt at all. 

The alternative is having £50 still in your bank account.

Who has honestly bought this?

https://shop.bristol-sport.co.uk/bcfc/bcfclifestyle/all-lifestyle/all-lifestyle/1888_bristol-city-94-red-sweater-adult.html

Only now available in 2XL (as is the black

version). It makes us look like we are 29 years old. 

All this shit has to be print on demand right? It can’t be produced in advance. I got better quality gear from Cafepress back in the early 2000s!

IMG_3772.jpeg

20 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Rubbish 

The 59 page thread consists of several fans making multiple posts (moans). As far as the majority of fans don't make me laugh. You are a HANDFUL of fans on social media. Next season at Ashton Gate see how many fans at the ground are wearing the new kit and then tell me it's the majority of fans. Christ, get a grip and stop over inflating your own importance. 

This forum is one of the most popular in the Championship, very well known amongst the fan base, open to all, and with thousands of registered users.

It’s a very decent sample size and can reasonably be considered to represent the consensus view of the wider fan base. There is a very clear consensus opinion amongst the fans that the new kits are of poor quality, generally unpopular and use a splat Robin design that a large majority hate. In contrast, the consensus opinion on the Hummel kits was clearly very favourable.

Inevitably there will be a substantial number of fans wearing the new kit next season. But that’s because many will buy it anyway. However, the reaction here - as well as on social media like twitter and Facebook - tells me the club would have sold a lot more had they stuck with Hummel or picked a reputable manufacturer capable of producing good quality kit. And they will also have lost out on a lot of merchandise sales, which will be a lot more dependent on the quality and styling than a replica shirt that is a default purchase for many.

You might not care, but many do, and many understand the importance of the club representing itself in the best possible fashion when it is constantly having to compete with the Premier League and other forms of entertainment.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, t_b said:

Who has honestly bought this?

https://shop.bristol-sport.co.uk/bcfc/bcfclifestyle/all-lifestyle/all-lifestyle/1888_bristol-city-94-red-sweater-adult.html

Only now available in 2XL (as is the black

version). It makes us look like we are 29 years old. 

All this shit has to be print on demand right? It can’t be produced in advance. I got better quality gear from Cafepress back in the early 2000s!

IMG_3772.jpeg

I'm sure this ISN'T what Willis was talkin' about.

Because Arnold already had one.

ss3336684_-_conrad_bain_as_philip_drummond_todd_bridges_as_willis_jackson_gary_coleman_as_arnold_jackson_dana_plato_as_kimberly_drummond_from_diffrent_strokes_luxury_capiz_fra__50976__32947.jpg

9 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Found one with another questionabe collar, new Millwall from Errea (sorry if who is wearing it triggers anyone!)

1209_millwall_2023_24_errea_home_kit_h-2.jpeg

It's a big collar but at least it fits him. Flush to the skin rather than ours that seems to float somewhere between the clavicle and ear.

• Like 2

I definitely put myself in the group who don't really give a shit about the kit, and to be honest when people post pics on here and say "Wow that one's amazing" or "What a load of crap that is" they all kind of look the same to me and I'd struggle to tell which was which!

That said, I think I actually don't care about the kit unless it looks bad - and this one does look pretty bad even to me because of that collar. It's comical.

Most of the other stuff they offer always looks naff to me. I bought a plain red t-shirt and polo shirt a few years back with a version of the badge on it, I have a city OTIB hat from a fanzine seller... I mostly just want normal-ish looking clothes with a smallish but recognisable City reference on them personally (not that splatted robin!), then I might buy and wear them.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I definitely put myself in the group who don't really give a shit about the kit, and to be honest when people post pics on here and say "Wow that one's amazing" or "What a load of crap that is" they all kind of look the same to me and I'd struggle to tell which was which!

That said, I think I actually don't care about the kit unless it looks bad - and this one does look pretty bad even to me because of that collar. It's comical.

Most of the other stuff they offer always looks naff to me. I bought a plain red t-shirt and polo shirt a few years back with a version of the badge on it, I have a city OTIB hat from a fanzine seller... I mostly just want normal-ish looking clothes with a smallish but recognisable City reference on them personally (not that splatted robin!), then I might buy and wear them.

Same I never usually understand or care about our kit.. however that collar is soo bad its laughable.

47 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Yeh, I don't care about the precise design or the proportion of red and white.

But I care about the badge being used properly, I care about not having our lads look like a bunch of 16th century ruff-wearing boys, and I care about fans being sold a product that is vaguely worth the £60 they're asked to spend. I also car about the club speaking to fans about any major changes such as new badges, new colours, and other items. Doesn't always need to be prior consultation, but at least explain yourself when you do something a bit left field.

I don't buy many shirts, but I did get last season's training kit for the gym. It's great and has lasted really well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh, I don't care about the precise design or the proportion of red and white.

But I care about the badge being used properly, I care about not having our lads look like a bunch of 16th century ruff-wearing boys, and I care about fans being sold a product that is vaguely worth the £60 they're asked to spend. I also car about the club speaking to fans about any major changes such as new badges, new colours, and other items. Doesn't always need to be prior consultation, but at least explain yourself when you do something a bit left field.

I don't buy many shirts, but I did get last season's training kit for the gym. It's great and has lasted really well.

Agreed - I guess two issues have unfortunately happened to coincide here: The weird new branding stuff, and the change in supplier to what seems to be an inferior one.

I don't know if they're related, it could be coincidence. Or perhaps a more established brand/designers would push back more and act as consultants for the club as well as just people who put logos they get sent on a top. Who knows?

Either way the club should be a bit more aware when they're messing with the iconography at anything more than a pretty superficial level.

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Agreed - I guess two issues have unfortunately happened to coincide here: The weird new branding stuff, and the change in supplier to what seems to be an inferior one.

I don't know if they're related, it could be coincidence. Or perhaps a more established brand/designers would push back more and act as consultants for the club as well as just people who put logos they get sent on a top. Who knows?

Either way the club should be a bit more aware when they're messing with the iconography at anything more than a pretty superficial level.

Yes, it's a bit of a perfect storm from a kit point of view. Dramatically going from a highly regarded kit partner to an unknown - to most fans - manufacturer. Simultaneously messing around with logos/badges/crests. A perceived deterioration in quality. Blue. All on the back of established wariness around kit (see the comic sans training kit, the mongrel 125th anniversary kit). It's a lot for people to process.

I also think there's an issue of perception. I've spoken to the club and I get the impression that they don't think the splat Robin is "messing with the iconography" as you put it. They seemed genuinely surprised at the idea that they might have consulted with fans over it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Henry said:

Still silence from the SC&T ( @Dollymarie @thatcham red @shahanshahan) and our SLO @JerrySLO.

Hi, not all of us are personally regularly active on OTIB, so apologies if there is something you think has been missed. If there is something you'd like to raise, please send an email to info@bristolcitysupporters.org

You and everyone else is welcome to our monthly board meetings

• Haha 1

Just now, shahanshahan said:

Hi, not all of us are personally regularly active on OTIB, so apologies if there is something you think has been missed. If there is something you'd like to raise, please send an email to info@bristolcitysupporters.org

Really?

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

That's a kop out if ever I heard one!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1