IGNORED

Hull City at home match thread

12 minutes ago, sugarwray said:

or 3 points. One at Sunderland, two today. Our precious penalty was in a 3-2 defeat at Coventry so no points gained from that one.

Oups, 3 points, you're right. 

In that match it didn't help us, but there was a more clear one (with possible red card for the goalkeeper) in the first minutes.

Generally speaking, many of those penalties not given happened when the result was still open or - like today - as a possible opening goal: obviously you have to score them and they don't guarantee a good result, but surely would have brought us more points (and less stress/ relegation fears).

Third penalty against Man City?!? ?

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, firstdivision said:

A bit of penalty karma after what happened up there.

I think it was a penalty, but I was surprised to see the ref give it. 

Not a great game but we looked so determined. Hard to beat. 

Definite penalty as was the one he didn't for handball minutes earlier. As you say karma for their pen at there place where the player started to fall last season and hit the ground at the start of this, coupled with 2 we should have had that day and which we received an apology for. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BigTone said:

You never know 

2 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Probably true, but this competition has a long and illustrious history of chucking the form book out of a 16th-floor window.

We’ve absolutely nothing to lose; a full house behind us, on a terrific unbeaten run and against a top, top side who have looked distinctly human recently. We can just enjoy the occasion and if they unthinkable happens it will be our best victory of all time IMHO.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

That’s, as they say, the spirit. 
Why even bother turning up ? Let’s just give the Citizens a bye and our lads can have the night off. 

Fair comments. I just think on today’s evidence (both our game and theirs), the difference in class is just too big. But stranger things have happened.

• Like 2

Coyle is usually a very steady wing-back who can play on either side.  Their playing out from the back rarely went anywhere, we forced them into a long ball pretty regularly.  Our press was pretty much spot on today.

The shuffling across the pitch quickly, something I’ve moaned at regularly in the past, is now very efficient.  We don’t let teams play through us that often these days.

Happy days.

3 hours ago, KegCity said:

Thought Hull looked a poor side, we were definitely the better team but did seem to lack tempo on the ball for spells. Great to get another penalty and put in a good team performance, Mehmeti looks to be a constant outlet for midfielders.

Bit of an aside but thought Hull’s Coyle was one of the least technical players I’ve seen at this level. Didn’t do anything wrong but the way he controlled and hit the ball seemed awful.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Disappointed.

If you're allowed to pepper thread after thread with flippant comments in an attempt at look-at-me "humour", why can't others say what they feel, too?? 

You are perfectly free to air your opinions,  as is anyone on here . However I am equally perfectly free to contest posts in a ‘ look at me ‘ humouristic way as well. 
Don’t take it so seriously. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Coyle is usually a very steady wing-back who can play on either side.  Their playing out from the back rarely went anywhere, we forced them into a long ball pretty regularly.  Our press was pretty much spot on today.

The shuffling across the pitch quickly, something I’ve moaned at regularly in the past, is now very efficient.  We don’t let teams play through us that often these days.

Happy days.

A lot of people questioned why Wells was benched again today, and I think the answer is our press. As you say, our press was effective today and Bell leads from the front, using his pace and relentless energy to keep the opposition on their toes.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You are perfectly free to air your opinions,  as is anyone on here . However I am equally perfectly free to contest posts in a ‘ look at me ‘ humouristic way as well. 
Don’t take it so seriously. 

Believe me, I don't take anything you say seriously - which is your USP. 

Just don't tell others not to bother turning up though, just because you don't agree with their point of view - unless you make it obvious you're "only joking". 

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

A lot of people questioned why Wells was benched again today, and I think the answer is our press. As you say, our press was effective today and Bell leads from the front, using his pace and relentless energy to keep the opposition on their toes.

True….I also think he’s having a little breather for a few games.  We have depth, his body has taken a battering at times this season facing up to hairy-arsed CBs, especially in the absence of TC.  Great for him to come off the bench two games on the trot and get the goals.  Seemed like he’d been stuck on 9 goals for ages.

His movement when he came on was great.

Something for Bell to learn (Conway has it).  Bell needs to learn that in a front three of the type we are playing that he might need to change the runs he makes, so that he’s in the centre of the goal when crosses come in.  Think that is partly down to playing quite a bit as a wide forward in u23s in previous seasons.  His link up play is improving though.

Back to Wells, delighted for him.  Should be in the discussions for POTY, but suspect others are ahead.  This is the Wells I first liked at Bradford, then Huddersfield.  He was different at QPR.  And he’s shown he can play in multiple set-ups with different partners.

• Like 4

Thought we shaded it today, had some of the better chances including one from 18 yards.

Hull a decent side, certainly have an away record where they haven't lost much in months- look compact. I was cautious when people were talking about them for an outside playoff push.

Wasn't in agreement with those who (on other platforms) saw it as an easy win in waiting. Saw a few 3-0 shouts!

Earlier in the season 3 pts may have been 1 or even 0...not that we played terribly at those times, more individual errors and variable luck. Was a decent win today, keeps us ticking over and we dug it out.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

True….I also think he’s having a little breather for a few games.  We have depth, his body has taken a battering at times this season facing up to hairy-arsed CBs, especially in the absence of TC.  Great for him to come off the bench two games on the trot and get the goals.  Seemed like he’d been stuck on 9 goals for ages.

His movement when he came on was great.

Something for Bell to learn (Conway has it).  Bell needs to learn that in a front three of the type we are playing that he might need to change the runs he makes, so that he’s in the centre of the goal when crosses come in.  Think that is partly down to playing quite a bit as a wide forward in u23s in previous seasons.  His link up play is improving though.

Back to Wells, delighted for him.  Should be in the discussions for POTY, but suspect others are ahead.  This is the Wells I first liked at Bradford, then Huddersfield.  He was different at QPR.  And he’s shown he can play in multiple set-ups with different partners.

Could be wrong, but it felt to me like Bell was part of the reason we got so many balls in. Creating an overload on either flank. He could pass it for the Ross and get in the box. I get your point though, maybesaty more central, although we maybe create less crosses if he does. Think you need a gamble from the opposite wing - if Sykes crossing Mehmeti getting in the middle and vice versa. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

How far away is TC now?

Lovely problem for big Nige to have, when he is back.

Ahead of Naismith (currently), who could be back by the break, although possibly unlikely we’d rush Kal.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought we shaded it today, had some of the better chances including one from 18 yards.

Hull a decent side, certainly have an away record where they haven't lost much in months- look compact. I was cautious when people were talking about them for an outside playoff push.

Wasn't in agreement with those who (on other platforms) saw it as an easy win, earlier in the season 3 pts may have been 1 or even 0...not that we played terribly at those times, more individual errors and variable luck. Was a decent win today, keeps us ticking over and we dug it out.

Shaded it?

We were by far the better team.  One-nil flattered them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

This is why i dont really understand the cornick signing, conway has a much higher ceiling, and i wouldnt want to see conways losing minutes to him.

I’m happy to see minutes given to whoever deserves them or is needed for the situation.

We have a group of agile forwards, Cornick also has a bit of physicality too.  We are gonna need him throughout a campaign, as we will need others.

Like last week, we finished strongly with our subs, because our subs are of sufficient quality to come on and make a difference.  We’ve not been able to do that anywhere near often enough during Nige’s tenure.  We have good options as starters and subs / finishers.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ahead of Naismith (currently), who could be back by the break, although possibly unlikely we’d rush Kal.

Shaded it?

We were by far the better team.  One-nil flattered them.

They didn't create a huge amount but I suppose one bad moment for us, good for them could have undone our hard work. After 1-0 did we drop back a bit..they hit woodwork I seem to remember, thought we were more dominant v say Sheffield United and Watford...yeah we were worthy winners. Regardless a good win as I sort of feared a decent but slightly frustrating draw today.

11 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

This is why i dont really understand the cornick signing, conway has a much higher ceiling, and i wouldnt want to see conways losing minutes to him.

Nige wants a team with forwards who can lead the press from high up the pitch.

Chris Martin no longer had the legs.

We replaced him with a forward, Cornick, who does.

We now have legs and energy - as well as goals - whoever is available up front. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1
Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

They didn't create a huge amount

they did little most of the game, we created throughout, so we didn’t shade it, imho.

but I suppose one bad moment for us, good for them could have undone our hard work.

true, but that would’ve been hugely unjust if they took anything from today.

After 1-0 did we drop back a bit..they hit woodwork I seem to remember,

they made a change at 55, when Tetteh came on for Ebiowei, and he moved to play off of Estupinan…h-t sub Longman moved to LW.  On 65 they put Coyle on RB, went 442 (from 4231), with Christie moving to RW.  You could argue that cost them, but the way we were playing it seemed v.likely we’d get the goal we deserved.  They had a 5 min spell, that was it.

thought we were more dominant v say Sheffield United and Watford...yeah we were worthy winners. Regardless a good win as I sort of feared a decent but slightly frustrating draw today.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dan Robin said:

Oups, 3 points, you're right. 

In that match it didn't help us, but there was a more clear one (with possible red card for the goalkeeper) in the first minutes.

Generally speaking, many of those penalties not given happened when the result was still open or - like today - as a possible opening goal: obviously you have to score them and they don't guarantee a good result, but surely would have brought us more points (and less stress/ relegation fears).

Third penalty against Man City?!? ?

What happened in the first minutes?

I'm asking for a friend who went to Cardiff to watch Wales v England rugby.