IGNORED

Manchester City at home FA Cup 5th round match thread

On 28/02/2023 at 23:35, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Everyone banging on about how we lost to "the best team in the world", a club who are alleged to have broken over a hundred incidents of FF ... they pay to win, and win they do.

Mad how teams accept them as opponents and virtually suck them off as some kind of football messiahs when they look like to me like the tory party of the football world. 

The damage this club has done to the heritage of English Football may be irreparable. I ******* hate everything about them. 

If anyone has anything positive to say about Manchester City Football Club then I'd love to hear it.

So Sheikh Mansour bought a company that was close to bankruptcy and invested his own money to turn it around, in any industry this would be lauded. The business has been totally transformed and turned what was one of the most deprived areas of the country into a desirable place to live Built an incredible training complex on the site of a former chemical factory, the land had to be cleaned before the building could start. Part of the complex is a 6th Form college funded by City Football Group and a world class institute for health and fitness MHIP, over a two hundred new full time jobs have been created Now, a new arena in partnership with the Co-operative and  Oakview is being built on the Etihad Campus which will again create more jobs with the intention is to turn the campus into a world class entertainment and destination venue, this week the club announced outline plans for an extension of the North Stand to increase the capacity of the stadium to 61k along with a museum, new store and hotel this will also incorporate a covered City Square to accommodate 3k fans replacing the current one.
So, all the time we hear about "dirty oil money" yet oil is a commodity that we couldn't live without, not just as fuel but as a vital component of materials used in most products so nothing dirty about it. Lets look at FFP which City failed just after its introduction and a fine and punishment were paid.  Then the hacked emails were published by Der Spiegel and UEFA on the basis of these charged City,  the case was taken to CAS and three independent judges found no case to answer. Even so City were fined £10k for non cooperation the reason for it, City were unhappy about the leaks of a confidential process by UEFA, was accepted by CAS but, as City admitted to it the fine was imposed but substantially reduced from £30k to 10k. There is misinformation about City "getting off on a technicality" misleading as one of the charges was timed barred by UEFA's own rules and CAS was critical of them not knowing them. City did produce evidence to counter the charge but CAS was unable to rule due to the time barring. Now lets deal with the >150 charges of the PL difficult as little detail has been published but it is huge accusation to make that a company its accountants and auditors have "fiddled the books" for 19years!  If proven, it could lead to criminal proceeding being brought against the City board, just checked for yourself and see if you think that the calibre of people who hold the positions on the board would risk their reputation. So, why has the PL brought the accusations of breaking financial rules (NOT FFP BTW) ? Can only speculate but, there is a clear division amongst the clubs with a large percentage of US owners who would move the PL stop promotion and relegation, stop the sharing of Tv money and look to play games abroad something that City are against. You mention the independent regulator,  City are amongst the few who favour the independent regulator. I leave you to make your own conclusions Ultimately the charges with either be quietly dropped or the commission will keep them out. Finally, Id like to address the reasons behind FFP, before City came along there was a cosy cartels of clubs "the big four" who season in season out were playing in the UCL a huge money spinner then "little old" City came along and upset this cosy arrangement so, to stop it happening again  FFP was introduced, supposedly to regulate clubs to stop overspending, which i might suggested stopped the likes of Bury, Macclesfield etc going bust NO because it is flawed it allows debt and mismanagement, its there to stop your club, for example, ever challenging, the changes made recently will prevent it even more as its impossible to invest your own money to become successful and therefore increase revenue like City have done. City are self-sustaining with sponsors (<20% Abu Dhabi) prize money and Tv revenue as the most successful club in the last decade,  this is inevitable.  Just remember when Ferguson was splashing the cash there was no restrictions, he broke the transfer records 10 times 8 more than City. The Moores family invested in an ailing LFC, stuck in second division obscurity to turn them around using dirty pools money, no restrictions Abramovic likewise at Chelsea etc  

"If anyone has anything positive to say about Manchester City Football Club then I'd love to hear i hear it"
Created jobs, regenerated a deprived area of Manchester, continue to lease the stadium so that the money goes to Manchester, if it was bought it would go to Sport England, of which £1M is ring-fenced for sport. In a partnership with the council built 100s of new homes in the area Manchester  was chosen for Etihad's European call centre creating local jobs Sheikh Mansour  though Manchester City FC has done more for Manchester than any Government in the last 50 years 
For football broken the cosy cartel running the PL just check which clubs would have won the PL if City hadn't been about 

The damage this club has done to the heritage of English Football may be irreparable. I ******* hate everything about them. 
This is absolute nonsense Like most football clubs, City have a rich history going back to 1894, suffered with 25 years of mismanagement under the Swales era, to suggest we are responsible for damage is frankly laughable  One of the oldest and most successful community programs for example
Would be interested to know what you mean though 

Sorry for the above, I came on the thread to see what your guys thought and in the main pretty good, the ref was poor and i don't see him favouring us one bit :)

Congratulations it was a great game to watch and it takes two, always liked Nigel and I hope City keep hold of him, got a good team with some very good players Would be good for use to buy Alex Scott and loan him back for next season

See you in the PL soon unless the Yanks have their way

State Sponsored?
The club is owned by City Football Group which is in turned 81% owned as a private investment by HH Sheikh Mansour and 19"% by Silverlake an US tech investment group It is not state sponsored ot owned as such 

Sport's Washing?
What does this mean? If it is of any value then, surely even an idiot could see that it actually achieves the very opposite from what its perceived objective is. In fact it exists only in the bitter minds of fools in the media with an agenda.
It’s is evident that Arab money, or Arabs, are hated for some reason consequently their involvement in a football club is deemed “sport's washing” by the propaganda machines of the zionist media owners.  Abu Dhabi as part of the UAE has signed a memorandum of understanding with the UK to invest upwards of £10B in the UK. Regarded as allies and long term trading partners with investment in UK companies such as Barclays Bank which benefited from support during the last financial crisis saving them from bankruptcy.

What is this "washing"?
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/united-kingdom-united-arab-emirates-joint-communique-a-partnership-for-the-future

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-and-united-arab-emirates-agree-to-boost-energy-security-and-unlock-investment

Edited by ManCunian56
corrections
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 2
21 hours ago, ManCunian56 said:

So Sheikh Mansour bought a company that was close to bankruptcy and invested his own money to turn it around, in any industry this would be lauded. The business has been totally transformed and turned what was one of the most deprived areas of the country into a desirable place to live Built an incredible training complex on the site of a former chemical factory, the land had to be cleaned before the building could start. Part of the complex is a 6th Form college funded by City Football Group and a world class institute for health and fitness MHIP, over a two hundred new full time jobs have been created Now, a new arena in partnership with the Co-operative and  Oakview is being built on the Etihad Campus which will again create more jobs with the intention is to turn the campus into a world class entertainment and destination venue, this week the club announced outline plans for an extension of the North Stand to increase the capacity of the stadium to 61k along with a museum, new store and hotel this will also incorporate a covered City Square to accommodate 3k fans replacing the current one.
So, all the time we hear about "dirty oil money" yet oil is a commodity that we couldn't live without, not just as fuel but as a vital component of materials used in most products so nothing dirty about it. Lets look at FFP which City failed just after its introduction and a fine and punishment were paid.  Then the hacked emails were published by Der Spiegel and UEFA on the basis of these charged City,  the case was taken to CAS and three independent judges found no case to answer. Even so City were fined £10k for non cooperation the reason for it, City were unhappy about the leaks of a confidential process by UEFA, was accepted by CAS but, as City admitted to it the fine was imposed but substantially reduced from £30k to 10k. There is misinformation about City "getting off on a technicality" misleading as one of the charges was timed barred by UEFA's own rules and CAS was critical of them not knowing them. City did produce evidence to counter the charge but CAS was unable to rule due to the time barring. Now lets deal with the >150 charges of the PL difficult as little detail has been published but it is huge accusation to make that a company its accountants and auditors have "fiddled the books" for 19years!  If proven, it could lead to criminal proceeding being brought against the City board, just checked for yourself and see if you think that the calibre of people who hold the positions on the board would risk their reputation. So, why has the PL brought the accusations of breaking financial rules (NOT FFP BTW) ? Can only speculate but, there is a clear division amongst the clubs with a large percentage of US owners who would move the PL stop promotion and relegation, stop the sharing of Tv money and look to play games abroad something that City are against. You mention the independent regulator,  City are amongst the few who favour the independent regulator. I leave you to make your own conclusions Ultimately the charges with either be quietly dropped or the commission will keep them out. Finally, Id like to address the reasons behind FFP, before City came along there was a cosy cartels of clubs "the big four" who season in season out were playing in the UCL a huge money spinner then "little old" City came along and upset this cosy arrangement so, to stop it happening again  FFP was introduced, supposedly to regulate clubs to stop overspending, which i might suggested stopped the likes of Bury, Macclesfield etc going bust NO because it is flawed it allows debt and mismanagement, its there to stop your club, for example, ever challenging, the changes made recently will prevent it even more as its impossible to invest your own money to become successful and therefore increase revenue like City have done. City are self-sustaining with sponsors (<20% Abu Dhabi) prize money and Tv revenue as the most successful club in the last decade,  this is inevitable.  Just remember when Ferguson was splashing the cash there was no restrictions, he broke the transfer records 10 times 8 more than City. The Moores family invested in an ailing LFC, stuck in second division obscurity to turn them around using dirty pools money, no restrictions Abramovic likewise at Chelsea etc  

"If anyone has anything positive to say about Manchester City Football Club then I'd love to hear i hear it"
Created jobs, regenerated a deprived area of Manchester, continue to lease the stadium so that the money goes to Manchester, if it was bought it would go to Sport England, of which £1M is ring-fenced for sport. In a partnership with the council built 100s of new homes in the area Manchester  was chosen for Etihad's European call centre creating local jobs Sheikh Mansour  though Manchester City FC has done more for Manchester than any Government in the last 50 years 
For football broken the cosy cartel running the PL just check which clubs would have won the PL if City hadn't been about 

This is absolute nonsense Like most football clubs, City have a rich history going back to 1894, suffered with 25 years of mismanagement under the Swales era, to suggest we are responsible for damage is frankly laughable  One of the oldest and most successful community programs for example
Would be interested to know what you mean though 

Sorry for the above, I came on the thread to see what your guys thought and in the main pretty good, the ref was poor and i don't see him favouring us one bit :)

Congratulations it was a great game to watch and it takes two, always liked Nigel and I hope City keep hold of him, got a good team with some very good players Would be good for use to buy Alex Scott and loan him back for next season

See you in the PL soon unless the Yanks have their way

State Sponsored?
The club is owned by City Football Group which is in turned 81% owned as a private investment by HH Sheikh Mansour and 19"% by Silverlake an US tech investment group It is not state sponsored ot owned as such 

Sport's Washing?
What does this mean? If it is of any value then, surely even an idiot could see that it actually achieves the very opposite from what its perceived objective is. In fact it exists only in the bitter minds of fools in the media with an agenda.
It’s is evident that Arab money, or Arabs, are hated for some reason consequently their involvement in a football club is deemed “sport's washing” by the propaganda machines of the zionist media owners.  Abu Dhabi as part of the UAE has signed a memorandum of understanding with the UK to invest upwards of £10B in the UK. Regarded as allies and long term trading partners with investment in UK companies such as Barclays Bank which benefited from support during the last financial crisis saving them from bankruptcy.

What is this "washing"?
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/united-kingdom-united-arab-emirates-joint-communique-a-partnership-for-the-future

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-and-united-arab-emirates-agree-to-boost-energy-security-and-unlock-investment

I don't have time to respond to all points but imo that is a very selective and generous outlook.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, ManCunian56 said:

“the propaganda machines of the zionist media owners. “ 

there’s nothing like a bit of casual anti-semitism to make your point is there! 

The phenomenon of sportswashing is well now well studied and easily definable, there exist plenty of academic articles on the matter many of which are open access and publicly available. It is simply a fact and has been well before there was actually terminology to describe it, it is a decades old phenomenon. 

I’m also not sure that saying that the UK and UAE have agreements and diplomatic relations really makes the point you think either, obviously they do, the UK has continuously had agreements and diplomatic relations with states that are to the general public morally dubious or unacceptable. The UK has also done things which to the general public are both of those things. 

I’m sorry that you feel so insecure about the whole issue that you feel the need to a) be anti-Semitic about it in general and b) come and argue the point on the forum of a championship club to presumably try and assuage some of the cognitive dissonance you surely feel.  It’s not your fault as an individual fan but honestly, that’s part of the broader phenomenon of sportswashing, which I promise you is a much more nuanced thing than many will have you believe or bother to try to understand. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
20 minutes ago, underover said:

there’s nothing like a bit of casual anti-semitism to make your point is there! 

The phenomenon of sportswashing is well now well studied and easily definable, there exist plenty of academic articles on the matter many of which are open access and publicly available. It is simply a fact and has been well before there was actually terminology to describe it, it is a decades old phenomenon. 

I’m also not sure that saying that the UK and UAE have agreements and diplomatic relations really makes the point you think either, obviously they do, the UK has continuously had agreements and diplomatic relations with states that are to the general public morally dubious or unacceptable. The UK has also done things which to the general public are both of those things. 

I’m sorry that you feel so insecure about the whole issue that you feel the need to a) be anti-Semitic about it in general and b) come and argue the point on the forum of a championship club to presumably try and assuage some of the cognitive dissonance you surely feel.  It’s not your fault as an individual fan but honestly, that’s part of the broader phenomenon of sportswashing, which I promise you is a much more nuanced thing than many will have you believe or bother to try to understand. 

Seems to be ok to be anti-Arab with all the racist terms branded about, about City's owner "dirty oil money" etc 
I didn't "come and argue the point on the forum of a championship club" I responded to an wholly inaccurate post about my club 
There's no need for you to be sorry about what you perceive to be my insecurity about the whole issue as I can assure you that I'm not insecure about anything and I have feel "zero cognitive dissonance"
So, an Arab gentleman buys a football club this is labelled "sportswashing"  what type of washing is the Arab nation doing entering into trade deals with the  UK Government?

• Confused 1
  • Flames 1
On 28/02/2023 at 23:57, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I wouldn't say it's bitterness, it's more anger that the sports washing of a state sponsored club continues in this day and age, and pay2win is still a thing. Why are people not more angry about what these clubs are doing? 

I’d love to know what positives come from the notion of ‘sportswashing’. I can’t see too much glory being bestowed on the owners of MCFC, PSG, NUFC nor the organisers of LIV golf or the Qatar World Cup. In fact, some might reasonably suggest that it’s quite the opposite and just attracts negative publicity. I’d go as far as suggesting it’s a fanciful and unproven notion, only lapped up by readers of the likes of Miguel Delaney. 

Worth also noting, MCFC are majority owned by an individual, and 18% owned by a US investment firm, so I’d also dispute the usual “state owned” nonsense that gets trotted out again and again.

Edited by MCFC OK
  • Hmmm 1
10 hours ago, ManCunian56 said:

Seems to be ok to be anti-Arab with all the racist terms branded about, about City's owner "dirty oil money" etc 
I didn't "come and argue the point on the forum of a championship club" I responded to an wholly inaccurate post about my club 
There's no need for you to be sorry about what you perceive to be my insecurity about the whole issue as I can assure you that I'm not insecure about anything and I have feel "zero cognitive dissonance"
So, an Arab gentleman buys a football club this is labelled "sportswashing"  what type of washing is the Arab nation doing entering into trade deals with the  UK Government?

Well as I said it’s a long documented phenomenon and doesn’t only apply to for example the owners of Manchester City or hosts of the latest World Cup. It also for example applies to the hosts of the 1936 Olympics, the 2002 Winter Olympics, the Argentinian Junta, and actually large sporting events are also part of the Welsh governments nation branding strategy. If any of the posters asking are actually genuinely interested in answers to their questions all you need to do is type ‘sportswashing’ into Google scholar and you will find a number of peer reviewed open access articles that will give you the very answers you seek. 

The phrase ‘oil money’ is not inherently racist or anti-arab, other countries other than the UAE, Saudi Arabia etc have oil and thus applicable to them too, infact similar has/had been levelled at Chelsea who, last time I checked, did not have an Arab owner. The fact also that the aforementioned states are rentier states is hardly a secret though, and everyone knows that rentier states, be it from oil or any other natural resource behave in different ways to those that aren’t rentier states, again this is a well documented fact. 

Again I make the point that if you actually want answers to some of the questions you ask, there are some great articles on it, they’re genuinely interesting and because they’re often not written by people who even give a flying F about football you’ll find them relatively free of any sporting biases (though of course no one is free of all bias). I’d love to leave you a detailed fully referenced answer but alas I only really spend any time on here on my days off and today was my last so I shall have to stop wasting my time on the internet and actually resume normal life. 
Do read up on it though I promise it’s interesting, if it helps your sensibilities read one about earlier Olympics or something. (And I don’t actually mean your regular media articles because they often have a sensationalist and also hugely overly reductive view of it, their job ultimately is to get clicks or sell papers so it makes sense really) (Also worth noting people quite often use the term sportswashing in place of soft power or similar, I’d argue that applies more the eg Qatar than sportswashing but again the perspectives and articles of sports writers vs politics/IR/policy/etc writers are often wildly different and the terminology too) 

Edited by underover
  • Like 1
On 28/02/2023 at 22:21, bexhill reds said:

ITVX on a VPN?

On 28/02/2023 at 22:22, erndogz said:

On 28/02/2023 at 22:25, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Tunnelbear 

On 28/02/2023 at 22:26, bexhill reds said:

Try NordVPN it’s a pay service but never lets me down on my Saturday afternoons around Europe

My (belated) Thanks to all of you - I finally managed to get a working stream.