IGNORED

Manchester City at home FA Cup 5th round match thread

Ever since the draw on 30 January excitement has been building for this game. Lots of anticipation about hosting the current PL Champions, seeing so many world class players, the potential for an upset, seeing our starlets play a brilliant footballing team, AG being sold out, a huge TV audience, etc, etc.

Let’s hope it doesn’t end like this….BRISTOL CITY 1-8 MANCHESTER CITY which was the outcome when our women’s sides met on Sunday.

Manchester City have won the world-famous competition six times in their history. Their most recent triumph - during the 2018/2019 season - came as part of a domestic treble under Guardiola.

In the end it simply boils down to us playing Manchester City and effectively having nothing to lose.

Order an commemorative programme here:  https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/commemorative-programme-for-man-city-cup-tie/

Their match thread: https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/bristol-city-a-tues-28th-feb-20-00-pre-match-thread.358778/page-7

Pep pre-match: https://cityxtra.co.uk/2420/every-word-pep-guardiolas-pre-bristol-city-press-conference/

Many will remember our last encounters against Pep’s team in the Carabao Cup back in January 2018.

Over the years we’ve faced them 25 times and won 10, lost 9 and drawn 6, our last victory against them was in 1979 in league division one….

Chris Garland scored the only goal of the game (see photo) in February 1977, a result that we repeated in 1979, BRISTOL CITY 1 MANCHESTER CITY 0

League Division 1, 24th November 1979, attendance 18,296

Scorer Rodgers (28 minutes)

Ref David Hutchinson

Man City Corrigan, Ranson, Donachie, Power, Caton, Stepanovic, Henry, Robinson, Daley, Tueart, Bennett, Deyna – sub Lee (unused)

Bristol City Shaw, Sweeney, Whitehead, Gow, Rodgers, Merrick, Fitzpatrick, Tainton, Royle, Mann, Garland – used sub Ritchie

FROM AN ARTICLE BY JOHN MADDOCKS PUBLISHED IN THE MAN CITY PROGRAMME 18TH NOVEMBER 1989
… Malcolm Allison’s tactical plan of using Bennett and Robinson wide on the flanks with Deyna in the middle never came off. What did come off was the unhappy figure of Paul Power, sent from the field by referee David Hutchinson for his protests after a controversial offside decision. Power had already been booked for receiving attention on the pitch when mud spattered his contact lenses!

The only goal came when Donachie gave away an unnecessary corner. Tainton took it, Caton headed out, Fitzpatrick weaved in between Donachie and Stepanovic and crossed accurately for Rodgers, a defender, to head past Corrigan.

“He's here, he's there, he's every f*cking where, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow" was an anthem that could often be heard reverberating around Ashton Gate in the 1970s as we climbed towards the first division. Gow was one of football's original cult heroes that emerged throughout the seventies and eighties; often sporting long hair and bushy moustaches. Gow pulled off both with style during spells at Bristol City and Manchester City.  Back in the day both sets of fans adored Gerry Gow who after 11 years at Ashton Gate made the move to Maine Road, https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19255579.story-gerry-gow-man-citys-snarling-scot-stamped-authority-fa-cup-final-1981/

‘He's Here, He's There: The Gerry Gow Story.’ by Neil Palmer.

This hardback is written with the help of the Gow family, ‘He's Here, He's There: The Gerry Gow Story’ celebrates the career of the Ashton Gate 'Enforcer'. It provides a fascinating insight into a player that fans of a certain vintage consider the greatest to wear the red of Bristol City. With fresh insight from Gerry's family, friends, team-mates and opponents, including the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson, Peter Reid and Chris Kamara, this is a captivating insight into a cult hero, a football hardman, a Bristolian icon; but also Gerry the man, and a man sorely missed but still loved by so many.

A local who ended up a MCFC icon, despite not joining Man City until he was almost 32, after spending most of his playing career with non-league Bath City, was Tony Book, who went on to become one of the key talisman in their post-war history. As captain, he led the Club to four major trophies in the space of less than three years before then enjoying success as City manager, overseeing their 1976 League Cup triumph.

Another player connection is Keith Curle who played as a centre back from 1981 to 2005, notably in the Premier League for Manchester City, where he was also the club captain. He also played for  us + Bristol Rovers, Torquay United, Reading, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sheffield United, Barnsley.

Referee is Andre Marriner: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Marriner Assistant referees Adam Nunn and Sam Lewis and the fourth official James Linington.

The magic of the FA Cup. We’ve absolutely nothing to lose, we will be backed by a full house, we are on a terrific run of form, we are being awarded penalties and we can test ourselves against a top, top side. COYR.

8BB7AA79-E8AA-4F0A-9D3F-4AD89CE1ED20.jpeg

B986980D-E294-4F0B-86DB-1EC4DA0007E2.jpeg

1B4EF941-1EA7-4005-B3D6-C5C8D124D67C.jpeg

B2370DBF-CB12-4C7A-ABED-B8714922A0F5.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 3

I remember one game where Clive Whitehead had Willie Donachie on a string, I have never seen anyone so worried . Not sure if that was the Garland 1-0 or not, what I do remember from that game is one of the Man City players was quoted in the paper as saying we weren't fit to lace their boots. It was still 1-0 though , so suck on that . :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Special occasion tomorrow night for the club. We have beaten Chelsea and Liverpool in years gone by in the FA Cup and it’s created fantastic memories, will tomorrow night be another. It will be extremely difficult. But enjoy it ladies and gentlemen, these moments are very few and far between.

COYR

Edited by Red Army 75
  • Like 5
6 minutes ago, daored said:

What ever the result tomorrow , O’Leary ,Vyner , Pring , Scott and possibly Bell will be in our starting eleven - a great achievement by the club to have so many home grown players in the starting 11 , plus others such as Taylor-Clarke on the bench , what an experience for them 

Well mentioned @daored

We won't ever win promotion with an all Academy side but it does help towards the team spirit.

I remember 1974 to 76 very well and it was wonderful to see us climb up to the First Division with a mostly home grown squad.

Oh for it to happen again.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Excellent gesture and the second time City have done so to my knowledge, the previous being I think at home to West Ham in the cup. 

As for the game we all hope for a win but if its not to be I will settle for a committed performance free from injuries. 

• Like 3

Against Man U in 2017 I always felt we had a chance as they were mainly a bunch of talented individuals and not a team unlike Man City who just oozed class and ability when g beating us over 2 legs. We were a pretty decent team back then but this time around and whilst we have some cracking young players to be proud of, I just can’t see us  causing the Citizens too many concerns. As long as we don’t get a hiding and embarrassed live on T then I’m fine with us putting up a good fight and losing by the odd goal or two 

If NP manages to pull this one off and beat Pep’s all star team then I will doff my hat and just sit back and watch a rewind of the game time and again like I did the Man U win 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Against Man U in 2017 I always felt we had a chance as they were mainly a bunch of talented individuals and not a team unlike Man City who just oozed class and ability when g beating us over 2 legs. We were a pretty decent team back then but this time around and whilst we have some cracking young players to be proud of, I just can’t see us  causing the Citizens too many concerns. As long as we don’t get a hiding and embarrassed live on T then I’m fine with us putting up a good fight and losing by the odd goal or two 

If NP manages to pull this one off and beat Pep’s all star team then I will doff my hat and just sit back and watch a rewind of the game time and again like I did the Man U win 

If we win tomorrow then in my opinion it will eclipse the Man Utd win in 2017. As a team Man City are better, Pep is better, their players are better individually. They are much better than that 2017 Man Utd team. Equally, I think we're comparatively a little less dynamic, a little less dangerous, our squad is a little shallower. We're not quite the final team that we can be. In 2017/18 we were just about at the peak of our powers with that squad. We were flying then whereas right now we're climbing.

So we're a little weaker and they're a little stronger. I think if we win it's huge, the best result in years. 

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Funny isn’t it. Such is our form I expect us to beat anyone. 

Really have to keep reminding myself that this is Man City!

It’s so odd to think we haven’t lost all calendar year. I go into every Saturday with excitement now, rather than trepidation. 

Wells Pen 1-0 yes please. 

2 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Will this be on tv anywhere?

ITV1!

• Flames 1
27 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Excellent gesture and the second time City have done so to my knowledge, the previous being I think at home to West Ham in the cup. 

As for the game we all hope for a win but if its not to be I will settle for a committed performance free from injuries. 

I wore the West Ham one out today (at at last Saturday's match). It's still going strong, and will be making an appearance tomorrow night regardless of whether a new scarf is on offer. One to wear, one to wave around like a maniac when we get a shot.

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

So we're a little weaker and their a little stronger. I think if we win it's huge, the best result in years. 

What I said earlier to a mate, except for the word little. Come kick off I'll have convinced myself we're going to win. And yes, if we do, it will be on a level with Leeds & Liverpool results (even though those were away). On a level with our best results in most fans living memories.

• Like 2

I anticipate a difficult game…

Yea really looking forward to this one. A bit fearful if I’m honest but no reason to be, we’ve got absolutely nothing to lose against a team like Man City. Let’s give a good account of ourselves and enjoy the occasion. 

Work tomorrow is gonna draaaag.