IGNORED

Manchester City at home FA Cup 5th round match thread

From BBC website:

FA Cup & Premier League predictions: Chris Sutton faces Paul Olima and Adele Nicoll from Go Hard or Go Home

Bristol City v Man City (20:00)

Championship (13th) v Premier League (2nd)
Who did they beat?    
4R: West Brom (C) H   4R: Arsenal (PL) H
3R: Swansea (C) Ar   3R: Chelsea (PL) H

You should know by now that I am a stickler for the correct terminology when two teams called United play, and the same rules apply here.

This is a tale of two 'Citys' and I don't think it will be quite as one-sided as some people might expect.

Bristol City are unbeaten in 12 games under Nigel Pearson and I like the job he is doing there.

They have got some talented young players, including Sam Bell - a 20-year-old winger that a lot of Premier League sides have apparently been watching - and they will fancy their chances of causing an upset.

But Manchester City will be ready and boss Pep Guardiola always picks a strong team in the FA Cup because he wants to hoover up every trophy he can.

His side got a good win at Bournemouth on Saturday and should have too much for the Robins too, but I am expecting spells where Pearson's side make things difficult for the Premier League champions.

Sutton's prediction: 1-3

Adele's prediction: 0-3

Paul's prediction: Manchester City are just at a different level. 1-5

No encouragement from the stat in today's Times newspaper. Fewest FA Cup semi final appearances since competition's revamp in 1925 among regulars* in top two tiers

Bristol City 1

Cardiff 3

Swansea 5

Charlton, Coventry, Blackpool, QPR, Hull 6

* at least 45 seasons in the top two divisions in that period

Who knows? maybe, like with penalties, our barren streak will end and we will make up for lost time and start clocking up Wembley visits

Man C could be right up for it tonight and we don't stand a chance regardless but i honestly believe the way we play and the current form really gives us a genuine chance if they are not on it.

Whatever the outcome i hope we do give them a good game and keep the confidence up for Saturday.

want us to end 49 years of hurt and reach the FA Cup Quarter Final.

On Tuesday, February 19th, 1974, the two gentlemen pictured in the centre and centre right positions, witnessed our team's triumphant 1-0 victory at Elland Road over the Mighty Leeds United in the 5th Round. Can you name them?

image.thumb.png.f043361638b33dc88271bb6e836436df.png

Edited by Curr Avon
36 minutes ago, sugarwray said:

No encouragement from the stat in today's Times newspaper. Fewest FA Cup semi final appearances since competition's revamp in 1925 among regulars* in top two tiers

Bristol City 1

Cardiff 3

Swansea 5

Who knows? maybe, like with penalties, our barren streak will end and we will make up for lost time and start clocking up Wembley visits

The Times have got that wrong, then, if it's FA Cup Semi Final appearances since 1925 then City should be on 0 not 1, as our last Semi Final appearance in that competition was in 1920. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

On Tuesday, February 19th, 1974, the two gentlemen pictured in the centre and centre right positions, witnessed our team's triumphant 1-0 victory at Elland Road over the Mighty Leeds United in the 5th Round. Can you name them?

So, Shankly wore a Rod Stewart wig.

Little wonder he wasn't recognised.

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1
28 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

The one behind the late Queen is obviously Bill Shankly and would I be right in thinking that next to her majesty is a young Tom Cruise.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, sugarwray said:

Bristol City 1

Cardiff 3

Swansea 5

That’s probably because in that time we’ve made the 5th round 14 times and lost them all bar one !!!

I saw this on  the Man City forum:

”Since then I have been to Bristol through my employment, and visits to family members nearby, a few times and generally enjoyed the experience. This was despite the faux ‘cockney’ accent (probably from watching East Enders) spoken by many locals.”

Wots eh on about - faux cockney accents?  Eh’s white at of orda sayin dat 

Edited by pongo88
9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I saw this on  the Man City forum:

”Since then I have been to Bristol through my employment, and visits to family members nearby, a few times and generally enjoyed the experience. This was despite the faux ‘cockney’ accent (probably from watching East Enders) spoken by many locals.”

Wots eh on about - faux cockney accents?  Eh’s white at of orda sayin dat 

Thats krek waiters peak Brizzle.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, sugarwray said:

Bristol City 1

Cardiff 3

Swansea 5

What if the football Gods get involved and somehow this played out…..All square after extra time, penalty shoot out, cue the commentator: ‘so it is KDB v Max O’Leary, to decide this remarkable game, the keeper has just signed a new contract with BCFC, who until recently had not been awarded a penalty in 469 days, but in the last week have scored two from two…..if he saves this Bristol City are through to the quarter finals. WHAT A SAVE, LISTEN TO THAT NOISE, LOOK AT THOSE SCENES, BRISTOL CITY ARE STILL UNBEATEN THIS YEAR AND  A SOLD OUT ASHTON GATE CELEBRATES A HUGE SCALP, WELL PLAYED BRISTOL CITY!’ 

Sorry, I’m getting a bit carried away, will just put the blanket back over my knees and sit quietly for a while. COYR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Robin 1