IGNORED

Marriner and his mates

cidercity1987

Anyone mentioned how poor these guys were last night?

We can't win a penalty every game but the push on a clean through Sykes was pretty obviously a foul in the box and therefore a penalty. Plus a red for denying a goalscoring opportunity in the box with no attempt to play the ball

I know the rules have changed somewhat this season that not every contact is a foul but Marriner then proceeded to give them everything as soon as we breathed on them?

The linesmen were equally poor, did they give offside even once against Man City? I think not, they must be the absolute experts at staying onside. 

You hear grumbles from the smaller clubs in the Prem that the big boys get every decision and that was certainly true last night.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

We can't win a penalty every game but the push on a clean through Sykes was pretty obviously a foul in the box and therefore a penalty. Plus a red for denying a goalscoring opportunity in the box with no attempt to play the ball

I know the rules have changed somewhat this season that not every contact is a foul but Marriner then proceeded to give them everything as soon as we breathed on them?

The linesmen were equally poor, did they give offside even once against Man City? I think not, they must be the absolute experts at staying onside. 

You hear grumbles from the smaller clubs in the Prem that the big boys get every decision and that was certainly true last night.

The Lino Dolman side was dreadful and never up with play. Thought second goal may have been offside earlier in the move. As for the Pen he did go down very easily guess sometimes you get those though.

• Like 1

There were a few decisions where, if it was for Man City you know they would have been given.
The Penalty shout ? Could easily have been given though not blatant maybe. If that was Mahrez it's given IMO.
When Bell was flatened on the edge of the area ? There were a few.
As for the Linesmen, Lansdown side he was so far behind play even when he got it right he could only be guessing. 
It does seem , when we get "top" Refs they end up as bad or worse than the regular ones.

• Like 4

Its nothing new the general standard of officials is at an all time low. 
Mr Marriner is probably one of the worst Premiership referees his inconsistency is shocking. 
The linesman on the Lansdown side was exactly the same not keeping up with play!

The first goal Mahraz had come back from an offside position to receive the ball ⚽️ therefore offside at one 3 Man City players were clearly offside when the ball was played yet once again no flag ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

There were a few decisions where, if it was for Man City you know they would have been given.
The Penalty shout ? Could easily have been given though not blatant maybe. If that was Mahrez it's given IMO.
When Bell was flatened on the edge of the area ? There were a few.
As for the Linesmen, Lansdown side he was so far behind play even when he got it right he could only be guessing. 
It does seem , when we get "top" Refs they end up as bad or worse than the regular ones.

Star ⭐️ struck in the presence of Bristol City super kids 

• Haha 1

The penalty would have been soft. He looked to go down on contact rather than get a shot off. Bell was totally taken out edge of box always a foul yellow card.  Watching on Robins TV difficult always linos positioning . But some odd deductions off both. 50/50 on Mainers performance. I think he wanted to let game flow. Which will always bring about contested deductions. Loved Williams body checking. Mind silly booking to get .

I think that VAR in the Premier League has changed refereeing as it provides a safety net for them, correcting any mistake they make. It gets them off of the hook and as a consequence they ref differently.

When, as last night, VAR isn’t present the tendency of Prem refs is to sit firmly on the fence, hence failing to award a perhaps marginal penalty decision against the top Prem team as that will be more easily forgotten and forgiven than had TV subsequently exposed awarding it to be mistaken. VAR has made refs risk averse. I thought that Marriner and his Lino’s were poor last night. 

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I think that VAR in the Premier League has changed refereeing as it provides a safety net for them, correcting any mistake they make. It gets them off of the hook and as a consequence they ref differently.

When, as last night, VAR isn’t present the tendency of Prem refs is to sit firmly on the fence, hence failing to award a perhaps marginal penalty decision against the top Prem team as that will be more easily forgotten and forgiven than had TV subsequently exposed awarding it to be mistaken. VAR has made refs risk averse. I thought that Marriner and his Lino’s were poor last night. 

Totally agree with this. 

VAR is ruining football. 

Even the VAR officials can't review the analysis properly. It's a joke now. 

I'm all for goal line technology only. And changing the offside and handball rules. 

It would make the refs job easier. 

• Like 1

The linesman on the Dolman side didn't seem capable of flagging for anything and seemed to just wait for instruction from the referee. We've seen this a few times, but last night must have been one of the worst examples I can recall. It was almost as if someone needed to keep tapping him on the shoulder and say "you've got to do something with the flag now". 

• Like 1

Given that the VAR threshold for "clear and obvious error" has increased, I'm not sure the penalty shout would have been overturned if it was in use. That said, if he'd given it then it wouldn't have been overturned either. It wasn't an absolute stonewaller but those do tend to get given (not for us, obviously)

The worst decision was that missed free kick on Bell on the right hand side of the box in the second half. How the linesman can be looking straight at that from a few feet away and not flag for it is beyond me.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

There was a classic example of this where a ball had ricocheted out of touch Dolman side with the last contact being a Man City player. the lino hadn't expected it so he dithered for about 10 seconds whilst various players implored him and finally raised his flag for a Man City throw. Easier to just assume it isn't one of the big expensive famous players that had put it out, so guess it their way. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

There was a classic example of this where a ball had ricocheted out of touch Dolman side with the last contact being a Man City player. the lino hadn't expected it so he dithered for about 10 seconds whilst various players implored him and finally raised his flag for a Man City throw. Easier to just assume it isn't one of the big expensive famous players that had put it out, so guess it their way. 

Why do they try to predict what will happen and base their decision on that, rather than watch what actually happens, and use the facts?

There was a ball down the left touchline first half, head high.  Surely Wells would get his head on it, so linesman is prepping himself to give a MC throw.  But Wells amazingly got his head on it and kept it in play, comes off the MC player.  MC get the throw???

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Why do they try to predict what will happen and base their decision on that, rather than watch what actually happens, and use the facts?

There was a ball down the left touchline first half, head high.  Surely Wells would get his head on it, so linesman is prepping himself to give a MC throw.  But Wells amazingly got his head on it and kept it in play, comes off the MC player.  MC get the throw???

The officials weren't too dreadful last night, but they definitely had "stars in their eyes" when it came to Man City's galacticos.  

Someone noted elsewhere that not a single offside was given against them, despite Mahrez, Foden and Silva frequently straying behind the last defender.  I'm on the far side, but it looked like Mahrez came in from an offside position to deliver the cross for their first.

Seems if you're famous enough you just can't be offside. 

1 hour ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

About 45secs before the first goal, a throw in was given to Man City (Dolman side) that was clearly ours... the Linesman waited for the ref to give it to MC  before he raised his flag to agree (totally standard)

Said this to my mate at the time. Ultimately City needed to defend it better (easy ah?!) but it was such a simple decision to get right and it was clear the assistant had no idea what was going on. 

The one on the Dolman stand was shocking all night and Marriner just seemed content to give any 50/50s to Man C and keep them happy for next time he refs them.

I think the penalty could have been given but don't really have many complaints it wasnt. Just thought, ignoring that one decision, they were annoyingly poor without too much controversy (is that a contradiction?) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arrytheb said:

Said this to my mate at the time. Ultimately City needed to defend it better (easy ah?!) but it was such a simple decision to get right and it was clear the assistant had no idea what was going on. 

The one on the Dolman stand was shocking all night and Marriner just seemed content to give any 50/50s to Man C and keep them happy for next time he refs them.

I think the penalty could have been given but don't really have many complaints it wasnt. Just thought, ignoring that one decision, they were annoyingly poor without too much controversy (is that a contradiction?) 

Just watched that first goal back to see if I was right, Foden kicks it out in clear view of the Lino & MC given the throw, 1 minute it later it's in our net without us touching it.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, arrytheb said:

The annoying thing with the penalty shout was there was definitely contact. A push enough to put Syksey off his stride.  So, a foul in the box.

Nowadays players are told to make such fouls clear to the ref, so by going down he probably made it look like pure simulation. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The officials weren't too dreadful last night, but they definitely had "stars in their eyes" when it came to Man City's galacticos.  

Someone noted elsewhere that not a single offside was given against them, despite Mahrez, Foden and Silva frequently straying behind the last defender.  I'm on the far side, but it looked like Mahrez came in from an offside position to deliver the cross for their first.

Seems if you're famous enough you just can't be offside. 

Just as about to pass: onside

CD5E04EA-972A-4FC8-97D8-C0857EC62BFA.thumb.png.178e3fe1639a2c7f45164d94c1a0ab81.png

After pass: still onside

9500889C-0527-4872-AB74-EC82CEE5FCFC.thumb.png.6a238d7a71a5887ed947c260780cf5f9.png

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just as about to pass: onside

CD5E04EA-972A-4FC8-97D8-C0857EC62BFA.thumb.png.178e3fe1639a2c7f45164d94c1a0ab81.png

After pass: still onside

9500889C-0527-4872-AB74-EC82CEE5FCFC.thumb.png.6a238d7a71a5887ed947c260780cf5f9.png

I will give you that one for the goal but then I didn’t think it was offside at the time just that Pring was overloaded trying to cover both De Bruyne and Mahrez. However some of their other breaks in the 1st half were clearly offside but the linesman on the Lansdown side was 5-10 yards behind the play so didn’t give them. He also missed an obvious foul in the second half that was right in front of him.

My observation is that the standard of assistant referees is even worse than the referees themselves. We have had very few good ones recently, with many unable to make a correct decision or even any decision about whose throw-in it should be.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr Balls said:

I will give you that one for the goal but then I didn’t think it was offside at the time just that Pring was overloaded trying to cover both De Bruyne and Mahrez. However some of their other breaks in the 1st half were clearly offside but the linesman on the Lansdown side was 5-10 yards behind the play so didn’t give them. He also missed an obvious foul in the second half that was right in front of him.

My observation is that the standard of assistant referees is even worse than the referees themselves. We have had very few good ones recently, with many unable to make a correct decision or even any decision about whose throw-in it should be.

There definitely appeared to be “some” offsides not given….but there were some very close ones too that makes me wonder whether VAR has “tuned” up their timing.  There was one for Bernardo Silva where he ran from well onside, but timed it perfectly, you question whether he time-shifted!

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I’ve just watched it on screen for the first time. (At the game, my immediate reaction was penalty. If it had happened at the other end,  I would have thought ‘oh, s***’. ) On screen with replays…just don’t see how it’s not a foul. Laughable. 

• Like 2