IGNORED

Maybe not just Scott going in summer.

Rocking Red Cyril

11 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Is the age of 60 just too old for anyone to not be able to do a superb job and in addition, keep on improving themselves?

What a silly idea that Nigel Pearson is ready for the scrap heap!

That’s not what I said. If Nige was offered a contract extension it would obviously be down to him whether he signed it or not.

If you think about it Nige has been involved in the football industry all of his adult life. Firstly as a very decent CB and then into management. 

He was very successful at the Foxes and is now doing a similar job with us but perhaps he’s reaching the stage in his life where he’s considered retiring - especially if you think about some of his post match comments particularly his views on the standard of officiating.

Not everyone is like Neil Warnock who just can’t let go of the game.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

I'm probably being thick here but as far as Kalas is concerned to replace him with someone as good would probably cost us a couple of million in the Summer (especially if we sell Scott and clubs see we have money in the bank!) So why don't we offer him a long term deal on lower money (to reduce the ongoing wage bill) but give him a good chunk of that £2m as a signing on fee. I've a hunch that he'd like to stay but no-one at his age or his ability is going to take a pay cut. The signing on fee route could help him maintain his overall income and is surely is worth thinking about?

robc

2 hours ago, WECANDO said:

Tanner is an excellent player. Last night he was constantly left on his own with Foden and Silva to deal with. Sykes unusually kept further up the pitch and didn’t track back to help Tanner. Equally James could have moved over to assist him. Left one on one, Tanner would have done better. I don't agree that Sykes did better in the 2nd half, he just got more support from Weiman than Sykes. But a brilliant effort all round.  

Think this sums up Man City tactics versus us (a Championship team).

At a really simplistic level, pick a RB (Rico Lewis), but play him in midfield, trusting Akanji, Diaz and Ake to deal with our front three both with and without the ball…meaning someone somewhere else would get a free-ride.  Most of the time is was Bernardo.  The early right sided influence of Mahrez was quickly nullified by Pring.

So I think Sykes could’ve supported Tanner more, leaving Ake, but they’d just pivot to someone else becoming their spare man…probably Ake!

Fascinating to watch them, especially Lewis and Phillips and their movement to either receive from Ortega / Ederson, or take away a marker to create room for others.

We pretty much went man for man at the back and in midfield, which is brave, but probably necessary, or else we might never have got the ball.

Your final sentence ??????

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

As has been written often on this forum, the days of selling a player on the back of a good performance on the telly, ( yes, I am looking at you David Cotterill) are gone. 
Clubs have data bases, analysts and scouts and there are no secrets anymore. 
Our players will not be unknown to other clubs and the fact that they played confidently against the best team in England will just be an additional little box ticked. 

It isn't about the fact they've played on TV. It's about the fact they've played against Manchester City. It's a bit different playing against Hull and Preston to Manchester City so last night's game will definitely have raised some interest in a couple of players based on quality of opposition.

Edited by TBW

3 hours ago, robc said:

I'm probably being thick here but as far as Kalas is concerned to replace him with someone as good would probably cost us a couple of million in the Summer (especially if we sell Scott and clubs see we have money in the bank!) So why don't we offer him a long term deal on lower money (to reduce the ongoing wage bill) but give him a good chunk of that £2m as a signing on fee. I've a hunch that he'd like to stay but no-one at his age or his ability is going to take a pay cut. The signing on fee route could help him maintain his overall income and is surely is worth thinking about?

robc

Just the slight doubt over his recent injuries. We all know his quality but can we risk dishing out a 3 yr contract on high wages if, as he gets older, he becomes more liable to time on the side lines? 

39 minutes ago, TBW said:

It isn't about the fact they've played on TV. It's about the fact they've played against Manchester City. It's a bit different playing against Hull and Preston to Manchester City so last night's game will definitely have raised some interest in a couple of players based on quality of opposition.

Which is why I wrote it will tick a few more boxes as players performed well against the champions of England.

13 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

If the club is gonna sell all the family silver, then we know what happens, been here before.

It doesn’t work like that.

If a premiership club want any of our players then the player will want the move. It’s premier league football and much higher wages, the club won’t really have much choice once the money offered meets the clubs valuation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm living under the belief that Scott and Kalas will be elsewhere next season. If they do stay then I'll be pleasantly surprised, but if they go then we will get a huge cash sum for Scott and a huge wage saving from Kalas. It's win win either way really. I've made my peace with it.

As to the others, I think Pring and Tanner will still be with us. Both are contracted to the end of next season (plus the club has the option to extend), so I'd expect to hear some contract news on both of them some time in the next 12 months. 

Their contracts may well up following Pearson's own contract. Again his ends at the end of next season. We may see a situation where players wait to see what he does, and then the dominoes fall. Equally we may not and everyone may just look out for themselves.

**** me this went from resigned optimism to post apocalyptic nightmare. 

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal
  • Haha 1