IGNORED

Tinnion on recruitment + Murray, J Pearce, Wilbraham, Pack, J Lansdown, David James.

Boston Red

There hasn't been a clearer direction at this football club for a long time. Everyone pulling in the same direction. Whether we've found/stumbled across this style of play it suits us down to the ground. I have a good feeling about next season and the business we're going to pull off in the summer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Somewhat concerning if JL is downplaying an extension for NP. 

I did have a nasty thought last night, what with all the positive publicity around the impact Nige is having, that some cr@ppy struggling Prem outfit might try to tempt him away.   Hopefully his experience at Watford will put him off, but you can see why he must be of interest to bigger, struggling clubs.

Just now, The Coach said:

I think this will be an element of not wanting to do business in public. I suspect the Lansdown's know that the club is in a good place and would be happy with the progress and the relationship they have with NP. How many public interviews have they done this year compared to others?

NP understands the situation he's been asked to resolve, and whilst there has been one or two little barbs about funds available, it is something that he's totally bought into - NP isn't sexy enough for most Prem Teams these days, so I can't see any immediate risk of him being approached nor any contractual issue either from the owners / board and his.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Daniro said:

I did have a nasty thought last night, what with all the positive publicity around the impact Nige is having, that some cr@ppy struggling Prem outfit might try to tempt him away.   Hopefully his experience at Watford will put him off, but you can see why he must be of interest to bigger, struggling clubs.

I can't see that based on some of the his interviews and general demeanour, he's had his share of car crash clubs or bad relations with the board, he's totally bought into the task he's been given and I suspect from an achievement and kudos perspective he would take more from getting us into the Prem,than keeping poorly run Prem team up, although I think he still holds a soft spot for Leicester as do their fans to him, so that might be the only slight concern I'd have if Brendon Rogers was moved on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Daniro said:

Absolutely no chance he leaves. He loves living here, has bought land in the area, and isn't shallow enough to chase a bit of extra cash at this stage in his career. He comes across as someone who is really keen to see this job through. 

As for contract talks, we've only just come through a patch that had us three points off the relegation zone. In terms of what could be read from JL's words, it sounded like he probably wants to make sure we continue making good progress on the pitch before offering an extension. And as he says - there's still a year and a half left and he's not going to discuss the matter on the radio before discussing it with NP.

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Why do I always get the impression this Bermudan resident is singing off a bloody strange hymnsheet?

Like last season the fans were really quite content and he pipes up saying results have not been good enough and basically putting pressure on NP

Nigel Pearson disagrees with Jon Lansdown's Bristol City claim and 'bonkers' strategy of old - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

Edited by cidercity1987

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I'm worried JL and SL are still obsessed with the old LJ era, being all chummy with the boss'

I think that's insane, they've not only appointed Pearson in the first place but have had plentiful chances to get rid since. Far too much being read into a chairman not wanting to publicly discuss contract talks

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Why do I always get the impression this Bermudan resident is singing off a bloody strange hymnsheet?

Like last season the fans were really quite content and he pipes up saying results have not been good enough and basically putting pressure on NP

Nigel Pearson disagrees with Jon Lansdown's Bristol City claim and 'bonkers' strategy of old - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

He does appear to zig while others zag. 

46 minutes ago, The Coach said:

He’s mirroring his dad - Nige has yet to achieve what he was appointed to do and will be waiting to see how far City progress next season before commenting further.

Lets no forget invisible Jon’s premature comments last season about City not doing as well as expected……….…….…:facepalm:….. that reflected just how unaware he was of the shambles the club had become and that Nige inherited a squad of unfit and over paid players - a mess in other words. Of course JL might be pissed off at Nige’ ‘bonkers’ remark as well.

So far this season Nige has been doing a terrific job and JL would be prudent to acknowledge that fact as a supportive gesture.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

You make it very clear with your Bermudan resident comment your agenda

• Like 2

So three signings, maybe four:

My guess is: Centre-Back, Left Back, Defensive Midfielder plus Attacking Midfielder if Scott leaves. 

I can't see we need a right back and can't see we need a forward. You could argue we need two CBs if we lose Kalas - although a defensive midfielder who covered centre-back feels a better option. Goalkeeper is the other possible but hopefully Bajic's temporary loan is just that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

My guess is: Centre-Back, Left Back, Defensive Midfielder plus Attacking Midfielder if Scott leaves. 

I can't see we need a right back and can't see we need a forward. You could argue we need two CBs if we lose Kalas - although a defensive midfielder who covered centre-back feels a better option. Goalkeeper is the other possible but hopefully Bajic's temporary loan is just that. 

Just imagine it was - CB, LB, DM plus another CB because Kalas is leaving…because Scott isn’t going anywhere.

If Carlsberg did….

???

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Boston Red said:

JON LANSDOWN 36:53 Said that he had not started talks with Nige on a new contract yet, and really did not want to be drawn on the issue. 

I honestly don't see a problem here, even though if you want to you could read all sorts into it. 
I believe we have done the same with players, so not to lose focus . He has over a year left, hardly something that needs urgent attention . 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Just trying to understand why his public comments appear to be so at odds with the fans?

Do they? Or are you finding a double meaning where there isn't one? He commented on both what a good job he thinks Pearson is doing and that they have a very good working relationship, did you listen to the interview?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Just imagine it was - CB, LB, DM plus another CB because Kalas is leaving…because Scott isn’t going anywhere.

If Carlsberg did….

???

I've had a word with the guys at the Brewery, they have promised the deal with Newcastle is on. £35m and a loan back for a year.

I would expect an "add on" for when we get promoted and Scott is in the team of the season.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Boston Red said:

Some great interviews on Radio Bristol pre-match last night. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0f19sh8

The best was Brian Tinnion on recruitment. 01:09:00 He said the club had a recruitment meeting last Thursday. They know exactly who their targets are, exactly who they want to sign, and exactly which positions they want to fill. As soon as the final whistle for the season goes, they will go straight after their targets. There are three definite, perhaps a fourth if we sell, and we will spend money. They will all be young, hungry, fast, athletic players on the upward path of their career, because that is our profile target. Sounded like they were from the English lower leagues. 

SCOTT MURRAY 17:08 Says he is not expecting any shirts back after the game. Looks back at his FA Cup games against Kingstonians, Leicester, Middlesbrough.

JONATHAN PEARCE 21:05 Said that if he was given a live City game to commentate on, he would refuse it. He was commentating on highlights tonight. Pretty much admitted he liked to shoehorn as many Bristol City references into his commentary, including one for Fammy in the World Cup when he was 30 yards away and not on the ball. 

AARON WILBRAHAM 29:00 He is a die-hard lifelong Man City fan who even goes to games in the away end, but is supporting Bristol City tonight. Said that when Cotts was in hospital, he would ring him and say "Has the Shrewsbury gym floor been cleaned?" and Aaron would say "Gaffer, you are in intensive care. Don't worry about the gym floor." Said that he, Reid, Ayling, Bryan, Williams, Flint, Pack, Freeman, Smith were still on a groupchat, still were close, still went on holiday to Vegas together. 

JON LANSDOWN 36:53 Said that he had not started talks with Nige on a new contract yet, and really did not want to be drawn on the issue. 

MARK KELLY MANAGING DIRECTOR OF ASHTON GATE 49:25 Said that we sold all our seats, but Man City did not quite sell out. The women hold the record for seats sold at the new Ashton Gate because lack of segregation means they can sell an extra 60.

DAVID JAMES 55:00 Openly admitted his time at City was not the best, but strongly praised the loyalty Steve Lansdown showed to his employees.

MARLON PACK 01:21:40 Still lives locally. Talks about the 2017 cup run. Says that whenever he goes to a new club and has to sing the initiation song, he just plays through the speakers Guardiola saying "Pack is a good player". After the game Guardiola pinched his cheek, which has been made into a Valentine's card.

DAVE BARTON HEAD OF COMMUNICATIONS 01:35:30 Said that 100 media outlets were all jammed in tonight. 

Fantastic summary thanks. I don't feel the need to listen now.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Left back (to replace Dasilva) & a midfielder (to replace HNM), are certs.

Seeing as we were after the Palace lad who is playing in Belgium you would assume the CB is the third, with a fourth being Scott’s replacement if (when?) he leaves.

We certainly have a decision to make with the goalkeeper position, Haikin only has a contract until the summer & Wiles-Richards & Buse are out of contract, too.

Can Bajic make the step up to back up keeper? Is Haikin worth a longer deal? Not seen enough of either to know but that’s the decision there.

44 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I've had a word with the guys at the Brewery, they have promised the deal with Newcastle is on. £35m and a loan back for a year.

I would expect an "add on" for when we get promoted and Scott is in the team of the season.

Okies if this is true. It seems to make sense . Good club for Scott. We get him back for next season . And if we are going to sign the following

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If Carlsberg did….

???

That would really set us up for a serious potential hit for promotion.

Or am I dreaming again 

COYR

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
I got a double quote in my text . Woooot woooot

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Centre back may only need one incoming (assume Kalas does stay) if Low who is on loan at Walsall) is considered good enough for a Championship club at the top end of the table. Initially he might be the fifth CB if Kalas stays.

Edited by cidered abroad

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Centre back may only need one incoming (assume Kalas does stay) if Low who is on loan at Walsall) is considered good enough for a Championship club at the top end of the table.

I find the Low situation interesting to follow. 

He has all the ingredients to become a decent CB, but in what I call ' the old fashioned way'. 

I thought Towler in his development looked a more accomplished footballing CB compared to Low. 

It'll be interesting to see how he develops and whether his urgency, awareness, speed of thought and distribution evolve. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I find the Low situation interesting to follow. 

He has all the ingredients to become a decent CB, but in what I call ' the old fashioned way'. 

I thought Towler in his development looked a more accomplished footballing CB compared to Low. 

It'll be interesting to see how he develops and whether his urgency, awareness, speed of thought and distribution evolve. 

If we look at the Leicester City Premier League winners,  Wes Morgan was a typical big bruiser centre half rather than a footballing one. So the incomer could be either one similar to Morgan or a ball player with Low as the bruiser.

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If we look at the Leicester City Premier League winners,  Wes Morgan was a typical big bruiser centre half rather than a footballing one. So the incomer could be either one similar to Morgan or a ball player with Low as the bruiser.

Yes it will be interesting to see how we go at CB. As football evolves, imo CB' s are having to become an all round package, offensively astute as well as defensively. 

47 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I think Low has a bit more development to go to turn into the bruiser needed.  This loan will help, but I don’t think Nige / Tins are gearing him up to be that player next season.  Might be wrong.

Listened to Tins earlier (from last night).

Music to my ears.

”Championship Ready but not Championship Already”.  There’s a pool of talent out there with good experience, and much cheaper than PL starlet loans.  I’m not referring to O’Brien who I’d imagine we will try to sign in the summer, the loan we allegedly tried to do sounded like just doing stage one of the permanent deal to me.