IGNORED

Cardiff City away match thread

1 minute ago, Super said:

Can we really use Tuesday as an excuse?

No I don’t think we can, if anything it should have buoyed them up. Bit difficult to play counter attacking football against a team that does not want to attack. They just closed the space down and let us keep it in front of them, looking for the inevitable set piece / cross into the box goal. If one of our half chances in the first 10-20 mins had gone in then that might have opened up the game 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Bazooka Joe said:

If only Weimann was half as good as he was last year.

Was always going to be the case though unfortunately. I love Weimann and the effort and graft he puts in whenever he wears the shirt but last season was a complete freak season for him imho.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

No. It's a strawmans excuse. 

We pressed them well. Didn't look tired. 

It was the Williams injury that impacted us. They then took control of the game as we didn't have a proper tackler in midfield. 

As we had to play Scott in Williams position we then lost Scott's attacking threat. 

But yea it's just easier to blame it on Tuesday for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 2
19 minutes ago, Super said:

Most energy-draining match of the season. Definetely we can, not difficult to understand.

Not saying it was the only factor obviously, but negating it is nonsense and harsh for the team 

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Hmmm 1

I think we started with the wrong team, easy to say I know but I had genuine doubts before.
Williams starting again was a concern, but you have to go with what was recommended and you can't allow for injuries. I did think we may have started King though.
Bell as CF. In todays game it surely had to be Wells. Bell ended up making the same runs as Sykes, I think he needs to play along side a central striker.
The small squad makes it difficult to rest players, sadly the one area we have choices I think Nige made a mistake today. 

The game I thought was fairly even, they had a bit more power and strength and the movement was good. We didn't move the ball quickly enough and with Bell and Sykes playing on the shoulder, why not stick the ball in behind the WB, that pass was on so often and we hesitate every time and usually go back. 
Mehmeti annoys me sometimes, been great for a couple of games but doesn't seem to have a left foot.
You could tell Scott was frustrated, ended up trying to do everything. 
TBF they set up and did a number on us, and with a hard game Tuesday we didn't seem to have the legs early on.
Later on, when we had to get something, we should some overdue urgency. It was the one part of the game we looked ok.

We will struggle at Huddersfield Tuesday, one fit CB and half the team needing a rest. Not scored in open play for a while. Nige will have his work cut out. King , Wells , and possibly one of the kids to start Tuesday .

22 minutes ago, petehinton said:

There’s been some incredible saves in amongst that though. Not as if we’ve created absolutely nothing in every game. How Allsop saved from Mehmeti is a mystery. Hit the bar and post twice in games. Not quite that black and white 

Season ended for me today though I think. Losing Kalas and Williams are huge blows when we’re already light 

Sorry but disagree on the chances. You look around the squad and Wells aside tell me where the goals are going to come from? 

Agree season over. Pearson has a job on his hands to ensure complacency doesn't set in. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sorry but disagree on the chances. You look around the squad and Wells aside tell me where the goals are going to come from? 

Agree season over. Pearson has a job on his hands to ensure complacency doesn't set in. 

Maybe Conway comes back and gets back to scoring?

• Like 1

Just goes to show that you have to turn up against every team in this league. Cardiff didn't care who we played midweek, even before Williams went off they were creating some good positions through midfield and out wide right. 

We lacked physicality today from the start. The ball didn't stick or get looked after well enough, especially in the first 35 minutes. Don't think think we got the basics right today. 

Never mind, bound to be days like today given where we are with the building of this squad. 

18 minutes ago, Super said:

Pretty obvious really to most.  

Funny. You are on this forum all day, every day and probably have three times as many posts as the second highest poster, yet you still manage to contribute absolutely nothing. Your posts consist of nothing but pointless one liners, contrived sound bites and score updates that nobody asked for. Maybe you should find something better to do with all your excess time?

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 1
Just now, Wanderingred said:

Funny. You are on this forum all day, every day and probably have three times as many posts as the second highest poster, yet you still manage to contribute absolutely nothing. Your posts consist of pointless one liners and score updates that nobody asked for. Maybe you should find something better to do with your excess time?

Why not put me on ignore? It's not difficult.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

I do like Sawyers though

Yes he has picked up no end under our new manager. I really didn’t see that coming though…..played a new system with wing backs who’ve never played that role before. Philogene outstanding today as were a few others. Ting is, we do have some decent players but their confidence has been shot…..we beat Blackburn a few months ago, they looked terrible yet they are 3rd.  There’s not much difference from top two to bottom two this season…..

6 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

I really didn’t see that coming though…..played a new system with wing backs who’ve never played that role before. Philogene outstanding today

I thought that might be your downfall as a lot of our best stuff comes from wide areas. He was excellent today and a big part of nullifying that side as he was a constant threat.

Missed chances and the final ball was poor.  Bell has energy but needs time out to reflect to come back stronger.  Joe and Kalas injury depressing too.  Don't know how we are going to fair now if both are out for a few games, this was a month where all games were winnable IMO.  

Frustrating game and the run was always going to come to end soon but a shame it’s today.

Midfield and Attack just looked flat. It was infuriating when Zak and Tanner had the ball and literally no City player was showing so they were having to go back. Sykes in particular wasn’t showing half of the time.

James looked tired today. Nige’s substitutions baffling. King should have come on for Williams to maintain some balance and when Tanner came off we just didn’t get the success we were getting the ten minutes or so before that down the right hand side as Sykes was too deep.

I just hope Kalas isn’t out for the season.

The worst bit about the result is just how poor Cardiff are. 

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Cornick cuts inside leaving space for Sykes on the overlap . He’s quicker & better going forward than Tanner especially when we’re behind 

That might be the theory but in practice Cornick was dreadful and Sykes was less effective than he was earlier in the game. A pointless substitution. 

• Like 1

Thought Bell was isolated up front today. Plenty of endeavour but no support with Mehmeti and Sykes both wide. Earlier in the unbeaten run Bell and Wells were much closer together and ensured we had at least two bodies in the box during most attacks. Midfield were slow to support and show for the ball too often as well which didn't help 

• Like 1