IGNORED

Harry Cornick

old_eastender

Hasn’t looked good so far but there’s no way I’ll be judging him so quickly, Mehmeti is a rare occurrence of a player settling in to a new club immediately. Luton fans were sad to see him go and, clearly from this evening, they must know if he’s half decent.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Up to now, reinforced by poor sub appearances, wondering why we signed a near 28 year old forward, with a goal record in the Championship of just 1 in every 5 or 6 games. Could not watch tonight's game, so wondering how do he do having been given his 1st start?

Hope I'm wrong but could be a lemon ? 

• Like 2

Tin Hat time:

I dont think he played to badly tonight he chased everything didnt get much support from those around him or much luck.

We seem to always need a hate figure at the club. 

Vyner is now the golden boy however at the start of the season people wanted him hung drawn and quartered 

• Like 7

Let’s be honest, he looks every bit a Luton Town fringe player. We are fishing in a shallow pond. Hopefully that will change slightly this summer with big money for Scott. But right now, Luton’s scraps are the best we can do.

And this isn’t scapegoating, this is an honest assessment of a players contribution to the team so far.

• Like 9
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, westonred said:

Tin Hat time:

I dont think he played to badly tonight he chased everything didnt get much support from those around him or much luck.

We seem to always need a hate figure at the club. 

Vyner is now the golden boy however at the start of the season people wanted him hung drawn and quartered 

Yeah but sometimes its warranted. Vyner did make some howlers last season. I forget who was the scapegoat before Vyner. Weimann was it? 

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well maybe, but how many appearances are we going to give this guy before we say "it isn't working out"?

And how many hundreds of minutes of game time after that is it going to be before Pearson comes to the same conclusion??

I don't know, but I'd suggest maybe quite a few more than the half a dozen or so that half the forum seem to have allowed?

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

I don't know, but I'd suggest maybe quite a few more than the half a dozen or so that half the forum seem to have allowed?

It was an honest question.He could yet surprise me, but his main contributions thus far have been a decent pass through to Bell in the Blackpool and stuffing up a one-on-one in his debut.

I'd rather he didn't seem to be shoehorned into the side so Pearson could try to prove he hasn't made a mistake. Cornick has to take his chances and win that place. He hasn't so far. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It was an honest question.He could yet surprise me, but his main contributions thus far have been a decent pass through to Bell in the Blackpool and stuffing up a one-on-one in his debut.

I'd rather he didn't seem to be shoehorned into the side so Pearson could try to prove he hasn't made a mistake. Cornick has to take his chances and win that place. He hasn't so far. 

We're not even filling a bench atm, its hardly like there's many options to start at the moment so no one is really being shoe horned into this team other than Pring having to play at CB (although he'd be starting at LB anyway).

Cornick should be given a pre-season in the summer before any real judgements can be made long term.

Equally to pick out any individual after that collective of performances today is also harsh given not many really performed to even an average level.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Up to now, reinforced by poor sub appearances, wondering why we signed a near 28 year old forward, with a goal record in the Championship of just 1 in every 5 or 6 games. Could not watch tonight's game, so wondering how do he do having been given his 1st start?

So, couple of things;

It was actually his second start.

At the start of the season many highlighted that our squad only contained 2 players aged in the sweet spot of 26-30, one of them was Kalas, who was injured then & is again now, the other was Bentley, who doesn’t play for us anymore. So Cornick is 28 next month, he’s hardly on the way down at that age, is he?

Last season Cornick scored 13 in a side that finished in the playoff positions, earning 20 more points than we did.

We paid £300k for him, he’s an experienced Championship squad player with an excellent availability record, who doesn’t look as though he’s as fit as we’d like, but with 9 games left that is far more likely to be addressed pre season.

If he still looks unfit in October & we haven’t seen much from him by then I’d understand this but there does seem a rush by a fair few to write him off.

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

We're not even filling a bench atm, its hardly like there's many options to start at the moment so no one is really being shoe horned into this team other than Pring having to play at CB (although he'd be starting at LB anyway).

Cornick should be given a pre-season in the summer before any real judgements can be made long term.

Equally to pick out any individual after that collective of performances today is also harsh given not many really performed to even an average level.

I'm not blaming him for today at all, but it has seemed in some games like Pearson is pushing him on to try to prove his worth. To try to prove his purchase wasn't a mistake. Sometimes this has disrupted a decent period of play from us.

Harry Cornick, like everyone else in the side, has to win his place not only in a starting line-up, or even as a sub. He hasn't done that for me.

Tanner being under-the-weather explains his appearance today - but not always. 

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not blaming him for today at all, but it has seemed in some games like Pearson is pushing him on to try to prove his worth. To try to prove his purchase made a mistake. Sometimes this has disrupted a decent period of play from us.

Harry Cornick, like everyone else in the side, has to win his place not only in a starting line-up, or even as a sub. He hasn't done that for me.

Tanner being under-the-weather explains his appearance today - but not always. 

I think its just a case of how thin we are has also necessitated it, short in CM has meant Scott having to drop back in, meaning Weimann has to play in the 10 slot. Bell has been taken out of the firing line which means Wells starting upfront and it doesn't leave many other options.

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Quite agree, if everyone is fit he doesn't start based on what I've seen so far.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I think its just a case of how thin we are has also necessitated it, short in CM has meant Scott having to drop back in, meaning Weimann has to play in the 10 slot. Bell has been taken out of the firing line which means Wells starting upfront and it doesn't leave many other options.

Perhaps I should make clear I'm more concerned about Cornick overall than playing tonight.

We know Pearson is a stubborn man who takes a fair while to be persuaded from a course of action he thinks is good, but isn't working. Look at Martin as a late sub to "hold up the ball". Except he didn't.  Worked on paper, not on practice. 

Maybe Harry will score one and then become prolific,  but I'm concerned with the amount of time he has had, this striker hasn't come near either scoring or creating a goal  

We almost certainly have a run of dead rubber games coming in, so giving someone "10 games to establish themselves" might just be possible.  Normally I'm afraid you never get that amount of time in competitive matches. 

We'll see how he does for the rest of the season, but if everything is merely "meh" we shouldn't be shy in calling it.

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 3

I’d like to think I’m more on the balanced side of the forum (awaits to be proven wrong), but as at right now, I have concerns over both Cornick and Mehmeti. I don’t think the latter has been as good as the reviews (I said post AMs first game that I worried about decision making and running into traffic and that’s still the case); however I’m mindful that he needs to adapt so am tended to give him slack. There’s ability there - it’s harnessing and adapting.

As for Harry, although I note the relative lack of playing time, he’s pretty much shown nothing to date. The adaptation curve shouldn’t be as great, but even if it were, you’d anticipate signs. The lack of any “signs” this far in are deeply concerning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Commented that he seemed an underwhelming signing at the time, but many on here were really happy with it, like really happy.

Thought he did well Saturday against Blackpool but TBH they were a poor side.

Like everyone else, I really do hope he comes good, he's more mobile than Martin but doesn't seem to be in the right place yet to get on the end of anything & this might come with time.

What sort of forward is he? I think it's not yet clear what his role is in the team & this is where Pearson needs to demonstrate why he signed him.

Still feel the same tho - underwhelmed really. No scapegoating as I loathe that on here just nothing has changed for me yet.  However, I absolutely want him to succeed & my opinion to be altered.

19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’d like to think I’m more on the balanced side of the forum (awaits to be proven wrong), but as at right now, I have concerns over both Cornick and Mehmeti. I don’t think the latter has been as good as the reviews (I said post AMs first game that I worried about decision making and running into traffic and that’s still the case); however I’m mindful that he needs to adapt so am tended to give him slack. There’s ability there - it’s harnessing and adapting.

As for Harry, although I note the relative lack of playing time, he’s pretty much shown nothing to date. The adaptation curve shouldn’t be as great, but even if it were, you’d anticipate signs. The lack of any “signs” this far in are deeply concerning.

I have absolutely no concerns over Mehmeti.

Cornick needs more than 320 minutes (of which less than half is from the start) to start forming a true opinion, good, bad or indifferent.  I thought in his first start v Wigan he did pretty well.  If I’m judging now, then he’s been a bit disappointing.  But I’d trust Pearson and his staff’s ability to improve players at this early stage.

Watching that Cornick interview with Joe Partington, I think he suffers a bit of insecurity of his ability.  He’ll want that first goal.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I really cannot see Pearson shoehorning in a player to prove anything to anybody. Surprised anyone would think that let alone suggest it.

2 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Hasn’t looked good so far but there’s no way I’ll be judging him so quickly, Mehmeti is a rare occurrence of a player settling in to a new club immediately. Luton fans were sad to see him go and, clearly from this evening, they must know if he’s half decent.

This is it. Everyone has seen how Mehmeti has settled and therefore expect Cornick to be doing the same. 

It doesn't work like that. They are human beings and everyone is different. 

• Like 2