IGNORED

Harry Cornick

old_eastender

I think it’s harsh the criticism the lad has had. He’s just moved to us mid way through the season, just thrown in and the effort is there.

Let’s judge him after a run of games and a pre season behind his back. I trust our recruitment these days so there is clearly a player there.

• Like 4

I think what Mehmeti brings is more instantly deliverable and obvious than Cornick.

Once he settles in and finds a more defined role in the side he'll be fine. He's got all the attributes to fit into our style of play nicely.

He'll look a lot better after a pre season I reckon.

Just now, Gazred said:

I think what Mehmeti brings is more instantly deliverable and obvious than Cornick.

Once he settles in and finds a more defined role in the side he'll be fine. He's got all the attributes to fit into our style of play nicely.

He'll look a lot better after a pre season I reckon.

Agreed. With Mehmeti, his ability and confidence is clear to see so he naturally will make a more instant impact.

Harrys been thrown in but there’s a player in there so it’ll come.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

10 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Surely a run of dead rubber fixtures like we have remaining is the perfect period to integrate him with no pressure or expectation? 

Not technically dead rubbers yet and what are we trying to prove by playing an out-of-form and potentially unfit striker?

Pearson has spoken of trying to win as many of the remaining games. That means playing your best XI.  He's had 320 minutes plus playing for us now and looks our worst senior player. 

I'd rest him, let him recover fitness and sharpness and maybe give him a run-out at the very death of the season. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

That's a fair opinion, although I don't agree he's looked our worst senior player. 

Thanks. Just out of interest who do you think has shown less?

(Disclaimer: due to work commitments , I haven't seen any of the Luton match, even highlights, but I understand he was rather more involved there than usual)

I never like to be critical of players. None of us really knows what goes on behind the scenes. As someone else has pointed out,  in his first interview he came across as maybe lacking a little self belief. He's just moved to a new city and is maybe one of those players who finds the adjustment harder to make.

It's symptomatic of this keyboard day and age where we feel entitled as fans to give a throwaway quip. "He's crap this he's bad that. The reality is that there's a player in there.

The good news for us is that if anyone can coach a tune out of him then I have every confidence it will be Nige and his coaching team.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

We all seem to be going around in circles with this...

We needed(and still do)a big,physical pacy handful of a number 9.

Harry doesn't bring/add anything that we already have.

He is looking to me like a "club in the bag" type signing,which is something we are (supposedly) moving away from.

He is now in the squad,on the payroll & as some have suggested, possibly now blocking the arrival of the player to add what we clearly need.

Whether Harry improves or not doesn't alter the question of did we really need to be invested in him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

We all seem to be going around in circles with this...

We needed(and still do)a big,physical pacy handful of a number 9.

Harry doesn't bring/add anything that we already have.

He is looking to me like a "club in the bag" type signing,which is something we are (supposedly) moving away from.

He is now in the squad,on the payroll & as some have suggested, possibly now blocking the arrival of the player to add what we clearly need.

Whether Harry improves or not doesn't alter the question of did we really need to be invested in him.

He's a different type of player to the pacey handful No.9 you refer to yet he's been judged (unfairly in my opinion) on that comparison.

I think it's all about timing but I think it's too early to consider your "clubs in the bag" comment. We got money for Semenyo and were able to quickly identify and negotiate for two incoming players. Maybe if there was time and the funds available then we may have been able to find that pacey handful No.9 but I think there's quite a few teams higher up the pecking order who would also like that type of player and with it the price goes up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Wells has been off it pretty much since we lost Antoine. Other than his penalties he's been "as bad" (not bad at all, just not performing brilliantly) as Cornick. 

Drifting away slightly from the main subject, but has NW’s apparent drop in form been due to Antoine’s departure or Tommy Conway’s injury?

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Drifting away slightly from the main subject, but has NW’s apparent drop in form been due to Antoine’s departure or Tommy Conway’s injury?

Bit of both…needs someone a bit closer to him.  The nuances of football, pairings etc

• Like 1

On 16/03/2023 at 09:06, Jeez said:

I think the scapegoat definition is doing some heavy lifting in this thread.

Most would reasonably expect an experienced Championship forward to be able to come in and adapt quicker than an academy prospect which is why you pay a fee &/or offer bigger wages, especially with a Jan transfer. Otherwise why not give another of the kids 10 games to see what they can give.

Think it’s ok to agree it’s been a disappointing signing so far, but I’m sure to a man we all are rooting for him to find his place in the group and succeed for City.

A young player has been with the club for years so it's probably easier for a young player to adapt quicker. 

Cornick has moved to a new club and a new City. Sometimes it just takes a person a while to settle.

Good luck to Harry Cornick today. My frustration is that he played so well for Luton last season and hasn't replicated any of that sharpness to date. I think that's mainly due to the hamstring problems that Harry suffered the start of this campaign, but hope he's a great success at AG.

Message ends.

Mark T

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think Bell plays much wider than Conway and hasn't the physical attributes of a Semenyo, so I think he finds it harder to play with less support than he was getting. Having said that he adapted his playing style before and could probably do it again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Thanks. Just out of interest who do you think has shown less?

(Disclaimer: due to work commitments , I haven't seen any of the Luton match, even highlights, but I understand he was rather more involved there than usual)

I was at the Luton game. He was absolutely awful. Ran around a bit (pretty slowly and with little to no acceleration), was 5 yards off of everything and was blowing out his arse after 20 mins. 

He was trying I can blame a lack of effort so fair play to him on that front but either we've been sold a dud or he is wildly unfit. 

Two Luton fans I spoke to after the game reckon he's been a dud for a couple of seasons and couldn't believe we took him off their hands for money. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 2

Pearson did state that he would not sign players just for the sake of it.  And saw no point in signing players who were not any better than what what we already had in our squad?  So the jury is out regarding Cornick, and i do sincerely hope that he eventually does prove better than what we already have?.................or at least AS good...Ha!

Edited by maxjak

54 minutes ago, redrob said:

I was at the Luton game. He was absolutely awful. Ran around a bit (pretty slowly and with little to no acceleration), was 5 yards off of everything and was blowing out his arse after 20 mins. 

He was trying I can blame a lack of effort so fair play to him on that front but either we've been sold a dud or he is wildly unfit. 

Two Luton fans I spoke to after the game reckon he's been a dud for a couple of seasons and couldn't believe we took him off their hands for money. 

A dud last season hitting 16 goals and assists. Blimey 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, redrob said:

I too was at the Luton game. I spoke to 3 separate groups of Luton fans before the game. Was at least a dozen people and none of them had anything negative to say about Cornick. There’s no doubt about it though he’s been, on the whole, poor for us. I can’t see what he brings to the team at the moment. I certainly hope that changes and will be happy to be proven wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

I too was at the Luton game. I spoke to 3 separate groups of Luton fans before the game. Was at least a dozen people and none of them had anything negative to say about Cornick. There’s no doubt about it though he’s been, on the whole, poor for us. I can’t see what he brings to the team at the moment. I certainly hope that changes and will be happy to be proven wrong. 

I'll be happy if he proves people wrong for sure. I also struggle to see what he brings to the team and can't help but think he is a stop gap where we needed a body to fill the slot vacated by Semenyo until we have a chance to get the player we really want. 

• Like 1