IGNORED

Harry Cornick

old_eastender

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Of course I would like to see him doing his job and scoring goals, but so far I've seen nothing to impress me as regards strength, pace, skill, ability to pass a ball to a team mate or hold up play. I really can't understand what out scouts were able to see in him.  But of course, I would love him to prove me wrong. 

He certainly seems to make an effort but his output is close to zero. Not the sort of player to bring on when you want to change a game and doesn't look up to L1 football, let alone Championship based on what he's done so far.

Probably the best way to help him would be to transfer him to a L2 team where he might be able to make an impact (and even at that level, I'm not convinced).

Clearly so cross. Seriously, you want to get a ******* life. This is just a guy adjusting to a new club and a new enviroment and sometimes these things take time.

If he turns out to not be the deal, so what. But give the ****** a chance ffs.

People on here like you make me pig sick, they really do.

But then again, I remember this time last year when it was all about how shit Zak Vyner was (and now he's heading for possible player of the season)

You seem to never learn, but maybe you just enjoy being *****.

Support the team, support the players, especially the new ones, and stop acting like spoilt children who want it all and want it all NOW.

You're an idiot, and I have no regret with saying that.

Grow the **** up or please just stop posting unwarrented bullshit about players that you haven't a jack shit scooby about.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

I think what a lot of fans forget is he’s a city player end off , the way we been playing last 5 games harry kane would look out of place up front , our supply to forwards is shit our crossing diabolical and as someone else said he ain’t a big ball winning 9 he plays wide right of 3 , so get off his back have a look at the wasted ball aimlessly pumped forward by backs and midfield and wait until the guy gets a go out right with Naismith in the middle laying some balls 

he’s a city lad now one of our family let’s encourage ffs 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 4
  • Robin 1

50 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Clearly so cross. Seriously, you want to get a ******* life. This is just a guy adjusting to a new club and a new enviroment and sometimes these things take time.

But then again, I remember this time last year when it was all about how shit Zak Vyner was (and now he's heading for possible player of the season)

Support the team, support the players, especially the new ones, and stop acting like spoilt children who want it all and want it all NOW.

Grow the **** up or please just stop posting unwarrented bullshit about players that you haven't a jack shit scooby about.

Jesus, spouting abuse like that and you call someone else an idiot ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'm surprised & disappointed at one particular individual supporting this disgusting post - you know who you are.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

12 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

You're calling one of our newest players useless and should play at a level beneath the sags and have the cheek to demand anyone else keeps it civil? You embody everything that's wrong with our fanbase and society in general, Wendy. Hypocritical, over the top and nasty with it.

You should be embarrassed. Being kind, perhaps you were trying to be funny, unfortunately you're about as funny as Miranda. 

The difference is Percy, he has made an opinion of the player on what he has seen. That the player currently doesn’t look up to this level of ability needed. Time May change that, but at present, he looks technically and physically weak.

On the other hand, when someone posts something you disagree with, you NEVER reply with anything constructive. You instead reply with insults, personally attacks and make out like you know better than anyone. I am personally amazed that Moderators haven’t warned or better still banned you. This isn’t a one off, your personal attacks of posters is constant and daily. Your rude approach to people is a bully boy tactic which has no place on a public forum. Attack the post and not the poster! Be constructive in your replies, and maybe point why people may be wrong about Cornick and what you have seen different. 
The problem is, the minute anyone has something negative to say about anything to do with Bristol City, you are there to attack them and call them idiots, clueless, question their knowledge of football etc

I hope you change your tact quickly, or better still, moderators do something about you. 

Last week you called me a cock, you don’t know me, you didn’t even address the post, you went off in your insulting condescending attitude which is unwelcoming to any posters.

Guess what! Harry Cornick is being paid a lot of money to do something he is meant to be good at, but at present, he looks nowhere near up to this level. If fans want to voice this, they are entitled to, as it’s a forum. If you don’t agree, that is fine, but it is to give reasonable and balanced discussion as to why they may be wrong, not just to attack every poster who doesn’t share your opinions!

If you continue your approach, hopefully moderators will do something about, which they should have already to be honest!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

I'm surprised & disappointed at one particular individual supporting this disgusting post - you know who you are.

Who is that…me?  If so, I like posts for all kinds of reasons.  I add a like to posts because I agree with them.  I sometimes also add a like to posts I disagree with, but get the angle the poster is coming from, they’ve articulated something well, etc, etc.

Happy to give out the different emojis as I see fit….I don’t take too much stock in the emojis I get back to my posts, although I’d rather posters explained their use of “confused” or “hmmmm” emojis in a post, but each to their own.  I’ve got no issues with posters having a different view to me either.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

As has been noted here before City score more goals with Naismith in the side, since he got injured at Preston we've only scored more than one goal once, that was against Blackpool when Cornick played a part in setting up the second goal for Scott. The first time Cornick played for us was in that Preston game when he came on as sub after Naismith had left the pitch injured, so he has never been on the pitch at the same time as Naismith. Our other forwards have also struggled in this period (Nahki has score twice but both were penalties) so it's a bit unfair on Cornick, let's see how he does when the team's creating more chances before judging, he always puts in a good shift effort wise, it's unfair to judge him when there are scant chances for the forwards.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

As has been noted here before City score more goals with Naismith in the side, since he got injured at Preston we've only scored more than one goal once, that was against Blackpool when Cornick played a part in setting up the second goal for Scott. The first time Cornick played for us was in that Preston game when he came on as sub after Naismith had left the pitch injured, so he has never been on the pitch at the same time as Naismith. Our other forwards have also struggled in this period (Nahki has score twice but both were penalties) so it's a bit unfair on Cornick, let's see how he does when the team's creating more chances before judging, he always puts in a good shift effort wise, it's unfair to judge him when there are scant chances for the forwards.

And that was the exact thrust of my reply to RedRobbo, that all the forwards are struggling a bit at the mo’.

On 20/03/2023 at 16:49, maxjak said:

As it revealed something hitherto unknown..........personally i would rather have been kept in the dark?   I will not jump on the Bash Cornick bus, but I will be astounded if he is a regular in the First Team next season..especially as Pearson stated " I will will not sign players just for the sake of it, they have to be better than what we already have ? "  I look forward to seeing who he is better than?

He is better than no one in place of Antoine, we essentially replaced Antione with Mehmeti & Cornick. Hes been here a matter of weeks, give him a chance.

With Mehmeti, I can see why we signed him.  I see effort and skill but limited output that we (and he) can maybe address. With Harry Cornick, I can't see anything positive in his play and remain at a loss to understand what our scouts were able to see that I can't.

To be fair, our forwards have not been receiving much support from midfield of late and I have noticed with Cornick that when he gets the ball, there seems to be little on for him in that there is nobody around him getting into space or any easy/obvious passes on.

From a formation perspective, I really don't know what suits us best.  It seems that when we change it, it seems to work, then in a couple of games the other teams work us out, so we may need to keep them guessing and mix it up a bit (even though it's nice to see a settled team and formation in an ideal world).

This season is probably a write off now and we need to concentrate on building something for bext year (probably without Alex Scott but with one or two incoming to improve things).  The frustrating thing is that the next few games would have been so much more exciting had we not thrown away some of the matches we should have got points from and been 8 or 9 more points further up the table.

3 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

1: It's a forum yes, and you want to have someone who disagrees with you banned. That's pretty soft.

2: You think comparing a player to Bas Savage and Andy Smith is constructive debate? Do me a favour. 

3: I also said you were being a cock, not that you are a cock. Pretty massive difference. And you were being a cock. 

4: If you think I'm being a cock for saying you're being a cock, feel free to tell me. I promise I won't have a tantrum trying to get you cancelled. ?

I will address your reply in points 1 to 4;

1: No I don't want to have someone who disagrees with me banned, I think that someone who throws out insults left, right and centre and adds little constructive comment to their posts, but is very quick to call people clueless, idiots, cocks or saying they don't know what they are on about, and have no football knowledge, like they are above people, should be warned/banned for their CONSTANT disgusting way of speaking to people. 

2: Why is comparing a player to two previous players not constructive, I'll explain.

Bas Savage, was not an awful player for us. He had around 1400 minutes for us, and in games he was involved for us he contributed. He actually had good vision, and got himself in very good positions. Sadly, his finishing ability was lacklustre and he was rather weak for a big player. He was involved in 23 matches for Bristol City of which he scored once and got an assist, and we won 11 and drew 6 of the 23 games he played for us. However he was not good enough to take us forward. Cornick reminds me of him, as he to is a player, who looks like he can read the game very well, and can get himself in positions, but with the ball he is weak and not very creative and does not look the type of player who will score goals, which essentially is what you want from a striker. For my Harry Cornick reminds me of Bas Savage in the ways as stated above, but Savage went on to have a decent career at a lower level WHERE his attributes made him a more suitable player to that level of ability.

Now, I am not saying that Cornick is a League One / League Two player just yet, but in his limited starts for us, it is not clicking and I DON'T see what he adds to our squad, in fact I think he is keeping players out of the squad and starting eleven who have proven themselves better than Cornick in games for Bristol City. 

Andy Smith on the other hand, joined us in January 2007 when we were chasing promotion to the Championship on a short term deal, he had previously played for Preston in the Championship, and was a player who had looked good at previous clubs, but with one issue, he couldn't score goals. He was a deadline day signing when we needed forward cover and he was brought in on a short term deal.

Sadly for us and Smith, he was like a deer in headlights. He had pace, he got in positions, and he read the game well, but when he got the ball, he couldn't hold on to it and his finishing was poor. He simply was a case of all pace and no product.

Now both the players I compared Cornick to, are similar, in that they were January signings, at a time we NEEDED forward cover, they were players who had pace and were good readers of the game and got themselves in good positions. However as with the past, for all these attributes are fantastic at a lower level, at this level, you need a bit more and when it comes to it, they were found wanting.

Cornick may be ring rusty and may need time, but his initial games for us, reminds me of players of the past, who like him look very good off the ball, but with it, they don't have the strength or the finishing ability to do anything with it. The problem is, many managers say players worked hard, they chased the game, they got in positions and etc, but the reality is, as a striker if you don't contribute with assists or goals, then you are technically a flop.

You were saying Cornick was a better player than who he replaced, meaning Martin. Now he may be better that Chris Martin is now, but Chris Martin was very good over a number of seasons for us, was effective pretty much from when he signed, and it's only a case of his legs have started to go, we let him leave. However in 7 games for QPR, he has scored twice and got 2 assists, and one would say in what he has achieved at QPR, he has done more than what we have replaced him with, so actually is Cornick a better replacement? It's questionable. 

Cornick over 4 years at Luton got a total of 29 goals, 18 of these in one season, when he played off a good target man and used his pace to get into positions and score simple goals. In three previous seasons he netted just 11 times and was regarded by many fans as a weak finisher but gets in the positions.

The Championship teaches you that you have to take your chances, and I fear that Cornick does not fit this mould. He also is being played as a 9, which he has never been in his career and for me he is keeping more suitable players out of the starting line up. We improved markedly within minutes of him coming off on Sunday and having Nahki and Mehmeti up top. We started with the wrong forward line, and couldn't do anything about it, by the time the Cornick experiment was ended. 

I hope he comes good, but I stand by what I said, that at present he looks like a reincarnation of Bas Savage or Andy Smith, and I also question if he was actually a player we needed, but maybe more of a panic response to Semenyo being sold and the worry we were thin on the ground up top. He certainly doesn't fit any of the profiles of players that the club have said we were looking to sign. 

3: I was not being a cock, I was stating my opinion, which is not changed as shown above. Just because you don't agree with that, does not mean I was being a cock!

4: I don't think you're being a cock for saying I was being one, I think you are a very rude person who attacks posters for no reason other than you disagree with them and THINK you know better. You have many a time, suggested you are "In The Know" by the way you have commented on club affairs, but not backed this up with any source or proof. I personally think if you stopped the insults and personal comments, you would offer a lot more, as you often have a different view to the debate, but whilst you conduct yourself in the way you do, you will do yourself any favours and if you continue on that path, and continue to make personal remarks to people, it would only be a matter of time until moderators done something.
That is why I posted what I did, hoping you might sit back and reflect on the way you conduct yourself and realise it does not do you any favours. I won't say you are a cock or acting like one, because I don't know you, but at the same, I am happy to say, I don't like the rude nature of your posts and it's constant every time you disagree with something, like you are an oracle whose opinion has to be correct. There are times when arrogance can be a good trait in life, but on a public forum, throwing rude accusations and insinuations around is not one of those times.

You need not reply, unless it is constructive, to which I invite you to reply. But please look at your posts and your comments to posters. If you can't see that, that approach is rude and wrong, then that's a shame, as if you continue down that path, you will only end up getting yourself banned.

That is all. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I can't see anything positive in his play and remain at a loss to understand what our scouts were able to see that I can't.

Out of interest, what was your view of Cornick (his game style) before he signed because that’s the basis to criticise what our scouts saw in him….isn’t it?  If you had no prior view, that’s fine, just be good to understand your angle.

(Don’t forget they scouted him on his Luton performances not his Bristol City ones)

For me, if there is a criticism to be levelled at our scouting / recruitment and the processes, based on my view of the Luton-Cornick, it’s not is he any good, but is he a good fit for the way we play / the way we’re gonna play.

The bloke at Luton was a totally capable Championship forward.

2 hours ago, WorleRed89 said:

He is better than no one in place of Antoine, we essentially replaced Antione with Mehmeti & Cornick. Hes been here a matter of weeks, give him a chance.

I am totally prepared to give him a chance.............but our dearth of goals shows just how much we relied upon Antoine, such a shame he could not have stayed until the end of the season....instead of warming Bournemouth's bench?    He will be intrinsic to their promotion push nest season.

4 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

He might well be a dud, but can we not just wait and see before the narrative on here and on Social Media spreads to Ashton Gate and becomes a self fulfilling prophecy? That's my overriding worry. I remember Colin Cramb speaking not long after signing about how the Gate was a difficult place to play for our own players... We've seen Managers from Ward to Johnson begging our fans for support and positivity. Is it really an ridiculous thing for me to worry about? that our toxicity will once again hinder the team?

Only players themselves can prove themselves to fans. And if their appearances are underwhelming then they aren't going to be popular. 

That's the same in Ashton Gate as it is everywhere.  No one makes up their mind about a player before seeing him play a number of times and no player runs out and thinks "I've read nasty things on social media about me. I'm going to play shit."

Players who were not crowd favourites, like Vyner, have managed to turn perceptions around by cutting out the silly mistakes and is now favourite for supporters' club POTY. Other fans' favourites lost public support when their form plummeted: I'm thinking Liam Fontaine among others.

I don't remember people being particularly negative about Cramby, he was part of a promotion side. But he wasn't as good as Akinbiyi, so he lost his place. 

I'm with you that it's too early to pronounce Cornick "a dud". But I don't approve of blaming the paying crowd for players' performances. That's Barton-esque. 

• Like 4

On 21/03/2023 at 09:19, GrahamC said:

I think some of that is fair, but can’t see the point in going back further than his last 4 seasons.

He said himself he was a late developer, he’s not an Academy product but has as you point out, played 4 seasons of Championship football in a row with certainly an inconsistent scoring record.

I’ll be interested to see what Pearson thinks is going to be his best position, because at present we seem to be rotating a lot of players in the front three (goalkeeper aside the only area we really have choice) & nobody is really nailing down a spot.

Having a good pre season will be key for him as will building up an understanding with whoever else is picked.

I’m not expecting him to ever be prolific but (unlike some) I’m not writing him off just yet, either.

Carlton Morris of Luton FC is a prime example of a late developer?  He has drifted around the lower leagues in the early part of his career, and now, after reaching the grand old age of 26/27 he is becoming a prolific,   excellent striker.  As was shown last week against us, he is fit, hungry  and desperate to do well.   I cannot see Cornick (Who is obviously a different type and style) having a similar trajectory..........but you never can say.....Never? ?

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

Cornick over 4 years at Luton got a total of 29 goals, 18 of these in one season, when he played off a good target man and used his pace to get into positions and score simple goals. In three previous seasons he netted just 11 times and was regarded by many fans as a weak finisher but gets in the positions.

I hope he comes good, but I stand by what I said, that at present he looks like a reincarnation of Bas Savage or Andy Smith, and I also question if he was actually a player we needed, but maybe more of a panic response to Semenyo being sold and the worry we were thin on the ground up top. He certainly doesn't fit any of the profiles of players that the club have said we were looking to sign. 

This is an incredibly lengthy post & so I’ve deleted a lot of it in my reply, firstly because I don’t disagree with all of it but also because it would dilute my points.

You are factually incorrect about Cornick’s scoring record, as he’s never scored 18 in a season, last season he got 13, that’s his highest, this season (in 7 Luton starts) he had 2, in prior seasons it was 1, 9 & 8. He scored 38 goals in total for Luton. Soccerbase has this data.

Secondly whilst I accept comparisons of players are simply opinions, Andy Smith never scored a single goal in English football, Bas Savage got very few in his entire career & none of them above league one.

To compare these two players to someone who got double figures in the Championship last season therefore seems very odd to me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This is an incredibly lengthy post & so I’ve deleted a lot of it in my reply, firstly because I don’t disagree with all of it but also because it would dilute my points.

You are factually incorrect about Cornick’s scoring record, as he’s never scored 18 in a season, last season he got 13, that’s his highest, this season (in 7 Luton starts) he had 2, in prior seasons it was 1, 9 & 8. He scored 38 goals in total for Luton. Soccerbase has this data.

Secondly whilst I accept comparisons of players are simply opinions, Andy Smith never scored a single goal in English football, Bas Savage got very few in his entire career & none of them above league one.

To compare these two players to someone who got double figures in the Championship last season therefore seems very odd to me.

Fair points, it was more in line with the type of player they are, their style of play, and the time of year they were purchased. He just looks a player that struggles to finish for me, but what he does off the ball reminds me a lot of the two players I mentioned, but as a striker, goals are important. I am not saying he is of their standard, which is League Two / League One at best, but he looks more like the type of player we would have purchased if we were in League One, than a team looking to progress to a top ten Championship side. 

• Like 1

Just to clarify...if you watch the Cornick video I put up, Harry speaks about Social media and it's influence on a player. 

He says he no longer reads it, or ' Google's his name', as it does effect a player. He also says he's had times in the past where fans were highly negative of him, so it's not new to him.

I'd suggest most players don't read social media posts about them.

However...it's obvious local media use social media posts to gauge a feeling from the fan base. They sometimes quote posts. 

Constructive criticism can be positive. 

Negativity for the sake of it, not so. 

Fans can make a difference in many forms. 

You've only got to read Joe Morrells comments about how the blue few booing inspired him and Ryley to up their game and stick one up them.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

16 hours ago, Magger1 said:

I think what a lot of fans forget is he’s a city player end off , the way we been playing last 5 games harry kane would look out of place up front , our supply to forwards is shit our crossing diabolical and as someone else said he ain’t a big ball winning 9 he plays wide right of 3 , so get off his back have a look at the wasted ball aimlessly pumped forward by backs and midfield and wait until the guy gets a go out right with Naismith in the middle laying some balls 

he’s a city lad now one of our family let’s encourage ffs 

Don't fully agree with your negative appraisal, think we deserved more vs Huddersfield and Cardiff e.g. (draw to win and loss to draw respectively) but I do agree that now isn't the best time to judge Cornick as the midfield is decimated, the building from the back has become a problem and an already thin squad has got thinner in January.

Plus mid season etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

I'm fairly sure you're misinterpreting the point deliberately...

But I once again ask the question, do you think the groans, the comments on social media etc etc have a positive or negative impact on a players performance? 

If I came to your place of work and groaned every time you made a spelling mistake or commented under every file you uploaded to the database that your work was shit, you are a waste of a wage and you should have gone to work at McDonalds rather than here, how would that effect your performance? Equally, what does positive feedback, recognition and the feeling that you are trusted to make mistakes do for your confidence and subsequently performance? 

If you're a professional sportsman you have to shut that sort of background noise out  It's just about you, the men around you, and the men facing you. And your gaffer, I suppose I should add. You perform for you. You do your best for your own pride, self worth and self challenge. 

AG is no different from other grounds. Despite people occasionally trying to paint our supporters as negative,  I don't think they vary that much from other fans I know. Bit quieter perhsps than some, but we haven't had much to cheer in recent seasons. 

In terms of me being a "different sort of supporter" than you. I support the club. I have been doing so for all my life and have 50+ years of attendance. I even flew in from America for some games , when I lived there.

Every game I'm willing Bristol City to win. So I want them to put out their best side possible.  I support the club, not individual players,  and if some are not performing I don't want them selected and I'd rather they leave if they can't or won't improve*. 

That's basically where I'm coming from and if that upsets some of the highly paid professionals out there then they might be in the wrong job. 

* Not talking about Cornick here.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

If you're a professional sportsman you have to shut that sort of background noise out  It's just about you, the men around you, and the men facing you. And your gaffer, I suppose I should add. You perform for you. You do your best for your own pride, self worth and self challenge. 

AG is no different from other grounds. Despite people occasionally trying to paint our supporters as negative,  I don't think they vary that much from other fans I know. Bit quieter perhsps than some, but we haven't had much to cheer in recent seasons. 

In terms of me being a "different sort of supporter" than you. I support the club. I have been doing so for all my life and have 50+ years of attendance. I even flew in from America for some games , when I lived there.

Every game I'm willing Bristol City to win. So I want them to put out their best side possible.  I support the club, not individual players,  and if some are not performing I don't want them selected and I'd rather they leave if they can't or won't improve*. 

That's basically where I'm coming from and if that upsets some of the highly paid professionals out there then they might be in the wrong job. 

* Not talking about Cornick here.

That's easier said than done RR.

It's so easy for us as fans to not understand what it's like to be playing in front of a crowd.

Imo...it's probably the one thing that's most over looked by us as fans.

Playing any sport in front of a crowd is nerve racking.

To be able to play without any nerves, and block it out, is nigh in impossible. 

It's probably the one thing that annoys me the most with fans, is when they get on a players back if they make mistakes. As fans...why don't we encourage instead of moan, boo etc?

Getting behind a player as a supporter would be so much more beneficial, but the majority do the opposite.

Even NP alluded to it last interview when he spoke about getting used to the ' theatre' of games, when talking about OTC debut. 

As a teenager or early 20s...playing in front of a crowd that are judging you is ridiculous pressure. Being able to play your natural game with nerves, adrenaline, head pumping, legs shaking...takes some doing. E

• Flames 1

40 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's easier said than done RR.

It's so easy for us as fans to not understand what it's like to be playing in front of a crowd.

Imo...it's probably the one thing that's most over looked by us as fans.

Playing any sport in front of a crowd is nerve racking.

To be able to play without any nerves, and block it out, is nigh in impossible. 

It's probably the one thing that annoys me the most with fans, is when they get on a players back if they make mistakes. As fans...why don't we encourage instead of moan, boo etc?

Getting behind a player as a supporter would be so much more beneficial, but the majority do the opposite.

Even NP alluded to it last interview when he spoke about getting used to the ' theatre' of games, when talking about OTC debut. 

As a teenager or early 20s...playing in front of a crowd that are judging you is ridiculous pressure. Being able to play your natural game with nerves, adrenaline, head pumping, legs shaking...takes some doing. E

Every away game players are called on to play before hostile, jeering and often insulting crowds.  Players are often fans themselves and they know from their time in the stands that when someone drops an appalling clanger or when someone has not been playing that well, but is subbed on, there is often a little groan. 

TBH they are paid silly money amounts to cope with that. Let negativity fire you up to show the doubters wrong. 

I've never booed our own players, but we pay money to watch the team and we are the lifers at City. They are the men being paid to perform and often see Bristol City as just another job in a career that may encompass many. If we feel let down, crowds are entitled to show that, rather than being asked to clap crap performances. I don't boo our guys, but sometimes my silence (and those of fans around me) speaks volumes. 

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Every away game players are called on to play before hostile, jeering and often insulting crowds.  Players are often fans themselves and they know from their time in the stands that when someone drops an appalling clanger or when someone has not been playing that well, but is subbed on, there is often a little groan. 

TBH they are paid silly money amounts to cope with that. Let negativity fire you up to show the doubters wrong. 

I've never booed our own players, but we pay money to watch the team and we are the lifers at City. They are the men being paid to perform and often see Bristol City as just another job in a career that may encompass many. If we feel let down, crowds are entitled to show that, rather than being asked to clap crap performances. I don't boo our guys, but sometimes my silence (and those of fans around me) speaks volumes. 

Whilst I get your sentiments RR...I can't help but feel from your reply you truly don't understand it. 

Have you ever performed in front of a crowd before, in a sporting sense?

Players may know what to expect, but that still doesn't prepare you.

Money has nothing to do with it...you can't just switch a button because you've been paid ££££s...human emotion doesn't work like that. 

Your response sadly proves my point, that fans generally don't get it. 

What to expect and money has no difference on the reality. 

It's like saying... 'here's a gun, I'm paying you a shit load of money to run on that beach and be shot at by the Nazis, you've seen the films, you know what to expect...don't shit your pants, feel sick, it's not going to hurt. 

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Whilst I get your sentiments RR...I can't help but feel from your reply you truly don't understand it. 

Have you ever performed in front of a crowd before, in a sporting sense?

Players may know what to expect, but that still doesn't prepare you.

Money has nothing to do with it...you can't just switch a button because you've been paid ££££s...human emotion doesn't work like that. 

Your response sadly proves my point, that fans generally don't get it. 

What to expect and money has no difference on the reality. 

It's like saying... 'here's a gun, I'm paying you a shit load of money to run on that beach and be shot at by the Nazis, you've seen the films, you know what to expect...don't shit your pants, feel sick, it's not going to hurt. 

Whether it is right or not, it's life and they have to just focus on the game. And that's what the really successful players and managers do.

Lots of us have jobs where our work is on show to the public and we might get unfair or OTT criticism from people not particularly qualified to pass judgement. Football is more immediate, more visceral, than most disciplines, but 'twas ever thus.

The growing of a thick skin is essential for development.