IGNORED

Harry Cornick

old_eastender

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

With Mehmeti, I can see why we signed him.  I see effort and skill but limited output that we (and he) can maybe address. With Harry Cornick, I can't see anything positive in his play and remain at a loss to understand what our scouts were able to see that I can't.

To be fair, our forwards have not been receiving much support from midfield of late and I have noticed with Cornick that when he gets the ball, there seems to be little on for him in that there is nobody around him getting into space or any easy/obvious passes on.

From a formation perspective, I really don't know what suits us best.  It seems that when we change it, it seems to work, then in a couple of games the other teams work us out, so we may need to keep them guessing and mix it up a bit (even though it's nice to see a settled team and formation in an ideal world).

This season is probably a write off now and we need to concentrate on building something for bext year (probably without Alex Scott but with one or two incoming to improve things).  The frustrating thing is that the next few games would have been so much more exciting had we not thrown away some of the matches we should have got points from and been 8 or 9 more points further up the table.

Massively oversimplifying but he’s an upgrade on Martin, age wise if nothing else, and I assume the scouts must at a minimum believe he can equal Martins output + additional years. I’d say that counts as an upgrade, although arguably not much of one. However, we are where we are, we won’t be signing a top Championship striker, marginal upgrades is what we’re looking at at the moment, and I think, medium term, he will be one. 

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Whether it is right or not, it's life and they have to just focus on the game. And that's what the really successful players and managers do.

Lots of us have jobs where our work is on show to the public and we might get unfair or OTT criticism from people not particularly qualified to pass judgement. Football is more immediate, more visceral, than most disciplines, but 'twas ever thus.

The growing of a thick skin is essential for development. 

I don't disagree with you regarding it's essential to overcome the nerves and focus.

My point being...is that as fans it's easy to be flippant and think it's easy to overcome. 

Whilst we all at some time have focus on us in the work place...we don't have thousands screaming for your blood if you under perform.

Like I said in my original post, imo, it's the most over looked thing that pros need to overcome. 

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't disagree with you regarding it's essential to overcome the nerves and focus.

My point being...is that as fans it's easy to be flippant and think it's easy to overcome. 

Whilst we all at some time have focus on us in the work place...we don't have thousands screaming for your blood if you under perform.

Like I said in my original post, imo, it's the most over looked thing that pros need to overcome. 

I agree. Mental toughness is just as important as physical toughness. 

• Like 2

I think, something that has been overlooked when Harry was signed is, that (and I'm pretty sure I didn't dream this!)  NP said that (me paraphrasing) we look for value in players - we try to see things other teams have missed about players, and to coach them to be able to do a "different" role than they may be used to. This means we can hopefully afford to have a player playing in a posistion we may not be able to afford, at the time, otherwise (sorry, hope that makes sense). I therefore  believe Harry has been bought to play a different role than he was at LTFC, this would have worked better if, as intended, he was bought in the summer, and behind closed doors, and friendlies, coached to his new role. I agree he is struggling, and is not the player we want him to be at present...but he's not as bad as some are portraying. He's just learning "on the job" so-to speak, getting invaluble minutes with the team. Please bear this in mind when judging him. He may indeed turn out not to be what we need, but he's obviously giving his best out there, and that's all we can ask, surely? 

If it doesn't work out, he'll move on...thats the nature of his chosen profession, but he's doing all this infront of 20k crowds most weeks. I don't bloody envy him (even on his wage, I couldn't do it), and fair play to him for taking up the challenge.

Best of luck Harry!

Edited by Pheasant plucker
Tried to make it make more sense
  • Like 4

• Admin

I am amazed that so many people have written this chap off already

He's just had a massive upheavel in his personal life moving over to the area, he also has a new employer - any of us would struggle with that alone

He's clearly raw in talent and with many other players in our squad in time their quality has improved.

At the end of the day he is OUR player and needs our support to help him raise his game, those giving him any kind of negative reaction are certainly not helping the player or the club, get behind the lad - wait until he's settled into our style of play and give him as many games as possible the rest of this season, and then with a pre-season behind him I am sure those that scouted him etc will show why he was brought to Bristol City

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Some boos today when his named got called out as he came on for Conway.  Incredibly shit support from those fans 

When somebody new to the club is struggling to find his feet you have to be a bit of a simpleton to boo them when they come on. The same people would not realise that 60 minutes for Conway barring injuries to others would most likely have been decided before the game.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Some boos today when his named got called out as he came on for Conway.  Incredibly shit support from those fans 

I'm firmly in the jury very much being out with Cornick,to say the least -

But to boo the bloke??

F@rkin ridiculous.. embarrassing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

When somebody new to the club is struggling to find his feet you have to be a bit of a simpleton to boo them when they come on. The same people would not realise that 60 minutes for Conway barring injuries to others would most likely have been decided before the game.

Conway was only ever going to do 60 mins, confirmed on Robins TV

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Played well when he came on, got stuck in helped in the press, he'll be fine as long as ******* **** off and find somebody else to abuse. Why does there always have to be one target for them?

I’d like to see one of the whoppers come on here and justify booing the bloke.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Played well when he came on, got stuck in helped in the press, he'll be fine as long as ******* **** off and find somebody else to abuse. Why does there always have to be one target for them?

It’s really sad, isn’t it?

I found Mehmeti really frustrating today, trying to be far too over elaborate & attempting to beat one man too many.

It would never enter my head to boo him though, how would that help anyone?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I found Mehmeti really frustrating today, trying to be far too over elaborate & attempting to beat one man too many.

I struggle to understand why they think a footballer's life is any different to their own. In any walk of life when you change jobs it's always difficult initially, even if your new job is the same skillset as your old one, you need to learn the dynamics of the company, learn the new processes and get to know how others work around you. Add to that, moving to a new part of the country and you have lots of potential distractions from your actual job.

Mehmeti's issue is slightly different I think, he sounds incredibly driven and he wants to get to the top, yesterday, I think he is just trying too hard and overthinking things.

Hopefully after the summer they will have the chance to come to terms with where they are and what they need to do, until then the boo boys can **** off, we drowned out the "anti-Vyners" let's do the same with the Cornick booers.

• Like 11

Just now, Port Said Red said:

I struggle to understand why they think a footballer's life is any different to their own. In any walk of life when you change jobs it's always difficult initially, even if your new job is the same skillset as your old one, you need to learn the dynamics of the company, learn the new processes and get to know how others work around you. Add to that, moving to a new part of the country and you have lots of potential distractions from your actual job.

Mehmeti's issue is slightly different I think, he sounds incredibly driven and he wants to get to the top, yesterday, I think he is just trying too hard and overthinking things.

Hopefully after the summer they will have the chance to come to terms with where they are and what they need to do, until then the boo boys can **** off, we drowned out the "anti-Vyners" let's do the same with the Cornick booers.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not concerned about Mehmeti, he’s 22 & still learning.

Really just making your point, how does anyone think that helps the situation?

Is the bloke not trying? Clearly he is, so it is simply baffling.

• Like 4

Just logged on to have a moan about this. To boo a city player is an absolute disgrace, thought he done well when he came on, he’s an intelligent player who puts himself about. Give the lad a chance. 

Didn’t hear the boo’s from the Lansdown  but if true that’s disappointing whatever your opinion.

His rapid track back when they were 2 on 1 was impressive & was so close to that volley going in for the winner. 

Better today just don’t think anyone is entirely sure what his role is yet.

• Like 2

Heard one bloke booing, but that was it.  Rather daft. It was clear why Conway wasn't going to be risked for more than an hour on his return.

I didn't think Cornick played too badly today, but I'm less confident than others that he'll "come good next season".  He may eventually score one or two, but at the moment, he's not looking like he'll be what we want as a first-choice striker.

Time will tell. Let's see how he's fitting in to a different-looking side late summer/early autumn. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Considering that for large stretches of several seasons we've been too hesitant to beat *any player* straight-in-front and insist on playing around, Mehmeti has been one of the freshest breaths of air in some time. I really hope he doesn't dial it back too far.

Edited by sephjnr