IGNORED

Harry Cornick

old_eastender

7 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I’ve mentioned the Cheese 500 times…The utter shite talked about him after he joined was mind numbing. Cornick has done well recently the fact he got his foot over a sitter was far more annoying for him than me.  

But I like him!

Do you mean as in "Ooh! you are awful" (but I like you) :laugh:.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh come on, the best strikers can miss those, it's been done many times before. Why pick out probably the only thing he did wrong all game? 

I'd have been embarrassed to miss that in a kickaround. In fact, it was difficult to see how he did. But there you go, it happens occasionally.

He worked hard (as ever) that game and slipped through some good passes going forward, but I think if you asked the lumbering Rotherham defence, they'd say they found him probably the least threat of our forward players. I don't think in all faith, you could say he had a good game, merely an average one, like some of the rest of the squad.

The Boro match remains the only time I've seen him have a really good game, so, as yet, I'm still on-the-fence as to whether he'll be a sound investment long-term. Too early to call this season.

Some of those "Don't criticise the Cornick!" posters on here seem to adopt a doctrine of the infallible Nigel, but as we know, NP can and does make mistakes from time-to-time.  Not least, taking too long to bring on subs when the entire stadium can see our initial line-up has gone a bit flat. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Wrongagain said:

Nige seems to think there’s a player in there somewhere, only hope we get to see it next season! 
Martin seems to have performed a reset at QPR! Very mobile looking, what went wrong here?

My QPR mate says he’s been awful…but has scored 3 important goals.

27 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd have been embarrassed to miss that in a kickaround. In fact, it was difficult to see how he did. But there you go, it happens occasionally.

He worked hard (as ever) that game and slipped through some good passes going forward, but I think if you asked the lumbering Rotherham defence, they'd say they found him probably the least threat of our forward players. I don't think in all faith, you could say he had a good game, merely an average one, like some of the rest of the squad.

The Boro match remains the only time I've seen him have a really good game, so, as yet, I'm still on-the-fence as to whether he'll be a sound investment long-term. Too early to call this season.

Some of those "Don't criticise the Cornick!" posters on here seem to adopt a doctrine of the infallible Nigel, but as we know, NP can and does make mistakes from time-to-time.  Not least, taking too long to bring on subs when the entire stadium can see our initial line-up has gone a bit flat. 

Very Fair.

I also think it’s fine to critique any player’s performance in a game…without casting the dye on him overall.  As you say quite a few “average” performers yesterday.

• Like 1

I'm actually feeling a bit sorry for Harry. It's not easy joining in January, you are obviously not up to speed with how the teams season has been and immediately are under pressure to make a positive contribution. He then finally gets a run in the team after quite a few games where he hasn't made too much of a positive impression, he scores a goal, next game gives away an OG then misses a sitter!

I sat somewhere different yesterday and therefore heard different opinions. Someone nearby was saying he 'runs around a lot and is all arms and legs'.

Personally I think he looks a strange 'fit' in the team, not really the type of player we have been used to here. No harm in trying something different, but when the rest of the team are playing pretty much how they have been drilled to play all season its going to look disjoined and take time for everyone to adjust.

I wouldn't say he gave away an own goal. Had the ball blasted at him by a teammate and nobody could have done anything different. Had an up and down time, but more to do with impatience from certain fans in my opinion.

Yesterday's miss was very poor though.

Edited by AppyDAZE

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I wouldn't say he gave away an own goal. Had the ball blasted at him by a teammate and nobody could have done anything different. Had an up and down time, but more to do with impatience from certain fans in my opinion.

Yesterday's miss was very poor though.

Yes, it was a poor miss, luckily it didn't cost us in terms of points which would have really had people on his back. I don't see why people think he is that different, I can see him taking on Weimanns role, another "ugly" but willing runner, willing to go the extra yards and work hard for others. 

His footwork to set up Conway yesterday was very neat, it's a shame he didn't get an assist for it.

• Like 7

Yesterday's miss was a real howler and unfortunately will only fuel the focus on things he gets wrong, rather than his total contribution during a game.

Overall, I'm not sure what to make of him so far. It's certainly not the first time I've viewed a player that way, and he's by no means on his own in that respect.

I'll be very interested to see how he does next season, given that NP seems to be reasonably happy about what he can offer to the team.

Good luck to him, lets hope it works out well for everyone concerned. 

COYR!!

8 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Nige has said several times that he isn't going to sign players for the sake of it, only if they're better than what we have.  I'm struggling to name a player that he's better than. 

Spot on......he seems like a "He 'll Do" player, which is completely contrary  to what Pearson stated?  I' m not knocking Cornick, as why would he turn down a nice contract?   But Cornick is no better than any striker we have at the club...........it should be all about upgrades?  Not getting someone.....just for the sake of it?

• Like 1

Maybe in a minority of one, but didn’t think yesterday’s miss was that horrific, more that it was unlikely given where he was. The ball came across at pace with plenty of players there or thereabouts, including their keeper. Lots of strikers would have failed to get a clean strike, but given that close to the goal, ricochets very likely to go in the net and his went over the bar. So unlucky more than desperately poor for me. 

Overall I like him. Think he gives more support defensively than others who’ve played that role. Also think he picks up good positions in the final third which is a weakness of ours - attacks often petering out as forward players make the same runs etc. And whilst I get the Steve Jones-esque lack of Rolls Royce purring maybe means he doesn’t always look the part, pretty sure opponents find it difficult to play against. 

Overall a decent start and although he may not be de facto better than others, given a very small squad, think he’s strengthened it and given NP options. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Maybe in a minority of one, but didn’t think yesterday’s miss was that horrific, more that it was unlikely given where he was. The ball came across at pace with plenty of players there or thereabouts, including their keeper. Lots of strikers would have failed to get a clean strike, but given that close to the goal, ricochets very likely to go in the net and his went over the bar. So unlucky more than desperately poor for me. 

Overall I like him. Think he gives more support defensively than others who’ve played that role. Also think he picks up good positions in the final third which is a weakness of ours - attacks often petering out as forward players make the same runs etc. And whilst I get the Steve Jones-esque lack of Rolls Royce purring maybe means he doesn’t always look the part, pretty sure opponents find it difficult to play against. 

Overall a decent start and although he may not be de facto better than others, given a very small squad, think he’s strengthened it and given NP options. 

Not according to the bloke behind me in the dolman who said they should bring back hanging! Although he was slating Cornick from the first whistle

I like Cornick and the fact a number of fans don’t like him (don’t know why) makes me like him more.

It’s not like we’ve paid £10m for HC. He’s a good versatile championship player. We paid £2.5 m for Gustav Engvall and c.£3m for Palmer yet HC already is the boo boy as he played for Luton…..

Fan expectations are so unrealistic. Can you imagine moving jobs across the country and moving your family with new colleagues and expecting to perform at the same level. He is a footballer of course so all bets are off…

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

I like Cornick and the fact a number of fans don’t like him (don’t know why) makes me like him more.

It’s not like we’ve paid £10m for HC. He’s a good versatile championship player. We paid £2.5 m for Gustav Engvall and c.£3m for Palmer yet HC already is the boo boy as he played for Luton…..

Fan expectations are so unrealistic. Can you imagine moving jobs across the country and moving your family with new colleagues and expecting to perform at the same level. He is a footballer of course so all bets are off…

To tell u the truth...........i would walk across the country carrying all  my belongings, and willingly abandon my family........for the chance and privilege to be paid to play professional football..Ha!

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

To tell u the truth...........i would walk across the country carrying all  my belongings, and willingly abandon my family........for the chance and privilege to be paid to play professional football..Ha!

I would as well. It’s just when I get booed for walking on the pitch, it’s going to impact my confidence 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Beni71 said:

I would as well. It’s just when I get booed for walking on the pitch, it’s going to impact my confidence 

The morons who are on this guy's back for absolutely no reason are embarrassing our fans imho. Like you, I find myself defending him more than I would normally, but I really find it odd that this has happened at all. He works hard closing stuff down, brings energy to our performances and has been involved in goals and has netted. It's very, very bizarre Indeed. 

• Like 4