IGNORED

Harry Cornick

old_eastender

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Me too. 

I said earlier, the only way to win over doubters (like me) and haters (like some of those posting ridiculous OTT social media about him) was to have a very good game. 

His last appearance at AG convinced me he was growing into the side and reports from the away games were also encouraging, so, I thought NP was fair enough giving him a start.

What a difference to some of his anonymous earlier performances. Getting stuck in, gliding past markers, holding the ball and releasing it delightfully. 

I figured he might come good (here) this summer, but I was about 6 games out. 

One swallow maketh not a summer, said some bald Greek bloke once, and it's true that when Boro turned the screws after 55 minutes, Harry, like many of the other starters, sort of faded rapidly.

HOWEVER, colour me a non-doubter. You can see the way he can fit into the forward line/advance midfield role and even if we haven't got a 20-goal a season man, he can play a very handy role in 23/24. 

He was made the scapegoat. Prior to Stoke who had played well over the previous 5/6 games? No one stands out for me but Cornick got all the stick.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Searles said:

He was made the scapegoat. Prior to Stoke who had played well over the previous 5/6 games? No one stands out for me but Cornick got all the stick.

To be fair, those who didn't stand out in those games HAD stood out in some games in the past. 

Cornick's problem was, as the new boy, nobody had seen him have a really good game for us. While most rational fans realised the below-par team performances weren't his fault, they also hadn't seen anything yet to confirm 100% he was going to come good.  Yesterday was his 13th appearance in a City shirt - albeit the majority of them were as a sub. 

Thing is, anyone watching that game can now see what he can do.  Doubters silenced in the most effective way. The way we all hoped for. 

• Like 6

Everyone wrote Grealish off at Man City. Huge waste of money, out of his depth etc. Now look at him? Apart from Haaland he's been one of City's best players this season. 

Obviously Grealish and Cornick are very different players but the point I'm making is it took Grealish a while to settle in at Man City and into their system. Some players can do it instantly (like Haaland) others can take a while. 

It's been rather embarrassing watching people write off a mid season signing after a couple of games. Once he's settled in here and settled into our system I think he'll become an important player for us. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Searles said:

Thought he was excellent yesterday. Direct, fast, broke the lines and breezed through players with his leggy style. Tired towards the end but got himself into really good positions. Think he will be a real asset for us next season. 

Yep, definitely getting into rhythm and showing what he brings.

Has to stick that chance away though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Yep, definitely getting into rhythm and showing what he brings.

Has to stick that chance away though.

As Atkinson said in commentary, he's probably caught it too well, a less clean strike goes in either corner. On last night's performance I can see him taking on Weimann's role in the team, he is able to get around the park and is comfortable wherever he takes the ball. Did some good defensive work last night too.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 3

No I am not reviving this thread to talk about his Lee Miller level miss today, but has anyone else noticed his pre-match preparation and know what it's about. For those of you who haven't noticed, he stands almost on the edge of the penalty area on his own and appears to do something that looks like he is playing the old "1 potato, 2 potato, type game we used to play to pick sides as kids. I assume it's some sort of concentration technique but I have never seen anything quite like it before.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

No I am not reviving this thread to talk about his Lee Miller level miss today, but has anyone else noticed his pre-match preparation and know what it's about. For those of you who haven't noticed, he stands almost on the edge of the penalty area on his own and appears to do something that looks like he is playing the old "1 potato, 2 potato, type game we used to play to pick sides as kids. I assume it's some sort of concentration technique but I have never seen anything quite like it before.

Thought it was a prayer he was doing tbh 

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Did it in front of us. Bizarre.

Whatever it was **** me did it work?

How did he miss from 3 yards out? 

Sadly for me he’s not upto it…

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Did it in front of us. Bizarre.

Whatever it was **** me did it work?

How did he miss from 3 yards out? 

Sadly for me he’s not upto it…

Oh come on, the best strikers can miss those, it's been done many times before. Why pick out probably the only thing he did wrong all game? 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh come on, the best strikers can miss those, it's been done many times before. Why pick out probably the only thing he did wrong all game? 

And compared to an awful lot of our strikers over the years, making the run to get to have the chance in that position was a refreshing change. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Sorry. I’m not a fan of Steve Jones. Or Harry Cornick.

I get we all take time to settle into a new job and all of that but I don’t see him being that good. 

Might well be me, the fact that where we sit we don’t get perspective or just that I’m difficult to please but I’m not seeing what he’s bringing to the party. 

At this point I’d like to add that shrugging shoulder emoji that’s loved by someone else - but I don’t know how to! ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The only thing he did wrong all game??

I’m not a hater, and am more the than willing to give him a chance, but he doesn’t like a tackle does he?

Roll your socks up, put some shin pads on and get stuck in son. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glynriley said:

The only thing he did wrong all game??

I’m not a hater, and am more the than willing to give him a chance, but he doesn’t like a tackle does he?

Roll your socks up, put some shin pads on and get stuck in son. 

Have to agree that he is a liability defensively. I can see Sykes getting the nod in that role for the next couple of games.

When you play 4-3-3 with the ball, you need to tuck back in a 4-5-1 without it on transition. Bell has started to do this really well.

Unfortunately Cornick without the ball, seems to go a bit headless. The amount of times he was out of position today with either King or James having to help out Tanner on the right was really noticeable. He also just doesn't track his man back particulary well either. 

He was terrible defensively against Boro with their LWB Ryan Giles. Early days still for him, and I don't knock his workrate; but he does need to improve substantially. 

Edited by NcnsBcfc

Re Cornick...I would love to know what the process was in why we decided on getting him. 

As in...manager says 'I'm looking for this type of player'...analysts and Scouts find solution. And we end up with Cornick. 

I look at Bell and Conway from the Academy...and they are better players imo, even with less experience. 

I'm struggling to see what he brings to the side that we are missing or didn't already have internally. 

NP has always said he won't bring anyone for the sake of it, and that they have to be an upgrade to what we already have. 

What does he bring that is an upgrade or outstanding? 

36 minutes ago, spudski said:

Re Cornick...I would love to know what the process was in why we decided on getting him. 

As in...manager says 'I'm looking for this type of player'...analysts and Scouts find solution. And we end up with Cornick. 

I look at Bell and Conway from the Academy...and they are better players imo, even with less experience. 

I'm struggling to see what he brings to the side that we are missing or didn't already have internally. 

NP has always said he won't bring anyone for the sake of it, and that they have to be an upgrade to what we already have. 

What does he bring that is an upgrade or outstanding? 

All I’d say is that the Cornick we saw versus Boro (2-2) was much more like the Cornick I’ve seen for Luton…so for me it’s easy to see why they might’ve thought he’d be useful for us.

As is stands that Boro game has been the highlight, a couple of other decent performances, but some below par too.  Overall a bit below par.

I think as a team we are transitioning out of a counterattack team to a more possession team, so a new player had to adjust to a new club whilst a team in transitioning its system too.  At a time when we’ve been lacking key players too.

That sounds like a bunch of excuses.  In some respects it is.

You can of course ask Recruitment (inc Nige) whether they thought signing a player from the most fast paced, direct team in the league was sensible, ie did they think he had the right attributes to play in a different style team.  That’s Recruitment in a nutshell for me.  We can all spot good players in this league, but that doesn’t mean they are the right fit.

On the flipside you might find a player struggling at a club (and we all think he’s crap) who just happens to be a great fit for us.

In the past (80s / 90s) it seemed to be about recruitment of players who played well against us!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Unfortunately Cornick without the ball, seems to go a bit headless.

You say that and maybe it's cherry picking by me, maybe it was because it was first half or a range of factors but vs Middlesbrough  I remember a phrase in the 1st half and we held a pretty good intermediate and Cornick was central in that line...both working hard and holding his position quite well..more of that needed!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

All I’d say is that the Cornick we saw versus Boro (2-2) was much more like the Cornick I’ve seen for Luton…so for me it’s easy to see why they might’ve thought he’d be useful for us.

As is stands that Boro game has been the highlight, a couple of other decent performances, but some below par too.  Overall a bit below par.

I think as a team we are transitioning out of a counterattack team to a more possession team, so a new player had to adjust to a new club whilst a team in transitioning its system too.  At a time when we’ve been lacking key players too.

You can of course ask Recruitment (inc Nige) whether they thought signing a player from the most fast paced, direct team in the league was sensible, ie did they think he had the right attributes to play in a different style team.  That’s Recruitment in a nutshell for me.  We can all spot good players in this league, but that doesn’t mean they are the right fit.

On the flipside you might find a player struggling at a club (and we all think he’s crap) who just happens to be a great fit for us.

In the past (80s / 90s) it seemed to be about recruitment of players who played well against us!!!

I’ve mentioned the Cheese 500 times…The utter shite talked about him after he joined was mind numbing. Cornick has done well recently the fact he got his foot over a sitter was far more annoying for him than me.  

But I like him!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

In the 80's the majority of teams played 442.

I remember TC signing two quality players in the lower leagues that did nothing for us, Jimmy Harvey and Tony Caldwell. I guess what I'm saying is you don't always get it right when recruiting.

Hopefully a good pre season will do Cornick well.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Elruliri said:

In the 80's the majority of teams played 442.

I remember TC signing two quality players in the lower leagues that did nothing for us, Jimmy Harvey and Tony Caldwell. I guess what I'm saying is you don't always get it right when recruiting.

Hopefully a good pre season will do Cornick well.

As soon as I read “TC signing two quality players in the lower leagues that did nothing for us”, I knew one of the two you were gonna say - Tony Caldwell.  He seemed the perfect signing, could do a bit of everything.  It just didn’t work out.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As soon as I read “TC signing two quality players in the lower leagues that did nothing for us”, I knew one of the two you were gonna say - Tony Caldwell.  He seemed the perfect signing, could do a bit of everything.  It just didn’t work out.

I agree he used to score for fun at Bolton. Jimmy Harvey went on to play in a decent Tranmere side and was captain. Steve Johnson is another one  big physical centre forward at Wigan. Did Jack shit here.

• Like 1