IGNORED

Harry Cornick

old_eastender

16 hours ago, Kolsch said:

Disgrace the reaction he got today. Didn’t think he did too bad, but even if he was abysmal we still shouldn’t boo players in a red shirt ever.

Yep, couldnt believe it when i heard that. We certainly have a lot of idiotic fans, not too suprising that we aren’t a particularly well liked club.

18 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Yep, couldnt believe it when i heard that. We certainly have a lot of idiotic fans, not too suprising that we aren’t a particularly well liked club.

Do you honestly think other clubs don't have fans that have, on occasion, booed their own players?

I'm not saying it was justified yesterday, but it was from a tiny number of people at most. Sitting totally centrally in the Dolman I heard one, maybe there were a few more elsewhere. 

There are idiots that follow ever club. At certain clubs - for example a neighbouring one - they seem to make up the majority.  :whistle:

33 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Do you honestly think other clubs don't have fans that have, on occasion, booed their own players?

I'm not saying it was justified yesterday, but it was from a tiny number of people at most. Sitting totally centrally in the Dolman I heard one, maybe there were a few more elsewhere. 

There are idiots that follow ever club. At certain clubs - for example a neighbouring one - they seem to make up the majority.  :whistle:

Of course every fans have their idiots, however i tend to read the opponents forums the day before we play them & almost every single time they have nothing good to say about us….our team perhaps, but certainly not our fans, which i think is justifiable, only last season every time there was an opposition corner there were cans of Thatchers flying at the players!

I was in the South Stand and the booing was noticable from there.

For what its worth, i dont think many other teams fans would boo their own player after only having a handful of games, i dont think Diony or Kent even got that!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Of course every fans have their idiots, however i tend to read the opponents forums the day before we play them & almost every single time they have nothing good to say about us….our team perhaps, but certainly not our fans, which i think is justifiable, only last season every time there was an opposition corner there were cans of Thatchers flying at the players!

For what its worth, i dont think many other teams fans would boo their own player after only having a handful of games, i dont think Diony or Kent even got that!

I wouldn’t worry too much what Reading fans say about us notwithstanding a minority of idiots booing Cornick. The worst fanbase in the division by a mile.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Maybe there are more idiots in the SS?  :laughcont:

But, to tackle your points: You think Kent and Diony were booed before they started playing?  They didn't work out here, for different reasons, and even Stevie Wonder could see that, but my memory was more of fan frustration than mass booing. And clubs and managers do not base their decisions on players on crowd reaction. Do you think Pearson would ever think to himself "I cannot play Cornick. There are about 20 people who'll boo him and someone might be unfair on Twitter." No, he is his own man and he makes his own mind up on whether a player should get game time.

Re: the club. I've travelled the world and all over the UK and where I find a fellow fan, I talk to them about football.  I've never encountered any negative impression of Bristol City or its fans. Some fans of more successful clubs, usually plastic fans, will say stuff like "why do you wanna support them?" or "poor you", but that's just the bantz you expect from the glory hunting fraternity. The reaction is pretty good and many recount pleasant visits to Ashton Gate and Bristol in general.

Football forums are a different box of cheese, and you'll always find someone with an axe to grind willing to sound off. Just look at me on the Plymouth thread! :rofl2br:What you write on them, doesn't necessarily reflect what you think in the flesh - and I know a couple of good guys who support Argyle.  Hell, I have Gas-supporting friends, if it comes to that. 

As for booing their own players, I've lived outside Bristol since childhood and in many different places and have stood on the home terraces and heard Wimbledon, Chelsea, Spurs, Perugia, Southampton and Philadelphia Union fans boo their own players. You may recall the negative reaction from Reading fans to their double substitution yesterday.  It happens. It happens everywhere.

FWIW I agree with those that say it's unhelpful to the individual and the team, and also that it's too early to pass judgement on Cornick. If you condensed all his subs appearances together with the two starts, he has played less than 5 games with us. 

Ultimately, players' own performances are the only thing that will win over the doubters. If Cornick continues to play as he did yesterday, the boos- such that they were - will be silenced.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

But, to tackle your points: You think Kent and Diony were booed before they started playing?  They didn't work out here, for different reasons, and even Stevie Wonder could see that, but my memory was more of fan frustration than mass booing. And clubs and managers do not base their decisions on players on crowd reaction. Do you think Pearson would ever think to himself "I cannot play Cornick. There are about 20 people who'll boo him and someone might be unfair on Twitter." No, he is his own man and he makes his own mind up on whether a player should get game time.

Think you have got the wrong end of the stick here fella……i said i don’t recall Kent or Diony ever getting booed by the fans, i could be wrong, but i certainly dont recall either getting booed when being subbed off or subbed on.

Where did i mention that i think Pearson wouldnt consider playing Cornick due to crowd reaction? All im saying is i thought that it was wrong to boo him, dont get me wrong, i think he has been crap so far and really dont see him working out here, but hopefully im wrong. I certainly dont think Pearson will base anything off of the crowds reaction.

Regarding City fans, i do think we have a large moronic following, my mind wont change on that i’m afraid!

27 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Regarding City fans, i do think we have a large moronic following, my mind wont change on that i’m afraid!

No more than any other club IMO.  There is nothing especially stupid or especially clever about City fans.

• Like 1

Booing your own players is obviously really dumb, unless we're talking extreme examples, which this clearly isn't.

Whilst I haven't criticised him myself, I would still defend the right for fans to come on OTIB and say that they think he looks rubbish. That's what forums are for; say what you see.

It's very tempting to think that he'll end up a back up player next season, but he'll just need a good pre-season to kick-start his City career and who knows.

Edited by mozo

Whilst Cornick hasn't torn up any trees so far so for us, he certainly hasn't been terrible and you can see he is trying.

A new signing trying to fit into a side that has been struggling for the bulk of the season not having a huge impact straight away is expected.

Fans booing that player without understanding the.above context is also standard. Welcome to the entitled 'want everything now' world we now live in. So very sad isn't it?

• Like 5

I'm not excusing booing, but it's clear from stuff I've seen on FB and elsewhere that some fans didn't understand why Tommy C was being rested after an hour and were annoyed that he was being taken off. Perhaps this sub-stratum of fans falls into the 'morons' category, Mr Hankey was talking about, or maybe they are just part-timers who haven't been paying much attention. 

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not excusing booing, but it's clear from stuff I've seen on FB and elsewhere that some fans didn't understand why Tommy C was being rested after an hour and were annoyed that he was being taken off. Perhaps this sub-stratum of fans falls into the 'morons' category, Mr Hankey was talking about, or maybe they are just part-timers who haven't been paying much attention. 

Or just too much cider

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

But surely it would be fairly obvious that Conway wouldn't be playing 90 minutes given that he's been out for 3 months?

That's nothing to do with not paying attention.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Others have said he played well yesterday, but I am with you, I thought he was dreadful yesterday.

Out of interest, what did he do / not do (yesterday) for you to reach that viewpoint?

I didn’t think he was anything other than average / 6 out of 10.  Worked hard, linked up the play, offered a physical presence.

56 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

but it's clear from stuff I've seen on FB and elsewhere that some fans didn't understand why Tommy C was being rested after an hour and were annoyed that he was being taken off.

That perhaps epitomises “their” lack of football intelligence, apologies if comes across as rude about our fellow fans.

You didn’t need to hear Nige’s pre-k/o interview on BBCRB or the RTV channel or be a brain surgeon / rocket scientist to use one brain cell to deduce a player coming back from a lengthy hamstring injury on a heavy pitch might only get an hour.

In fact pre-k/o Nige was suggesting it might only be 45 mins.

• Like 2

Football fans in booing shocker. I’m not quite sure what people think sometimes. 

As a club we don’t boo our own players anywhere near as much as at some other clubs. My lord try Millwall when things are not going their way. 

As the last 43 years testifies we are a patient bunch and on occasion too patient. 

I often point out the shit the Cheese took before he walked on water, which is where Connick is now. I’m certain he will come good and has shown one or two signs of it.

Nigel Pearson has earned himself another free hit of a run in and is blooding a load, mainly out of necessity, this augurs well for the players the club and supporters, but it will take its toll on fit senior pros. Connick is no exception. 

As a club we are not too far off being competitive at the top end and as we will have money to spend in the not to distant future I’m hopeful we will be challenging the top next season with a mixture of youth and a small influx of new players

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Northern Red said:

But surely it would be fairly obvious that Conway wouldn't be playing 90 minutes given that he's been out for 3 months?

That's nothing to do with not paying attention.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That perhaps epitomises “their” lack of football intelligence, apologies if comes across as rude about our fellow fans.

You didn’t need to hear Nige’s pre-k/o interview on BBCRB or the RTV channel or be a brain surgeon / rocket scientist to use one brain cell to deduce a player coming back from a lengthy hamstring injury on a heavy pitch might only get an hour.

In fact pre-k/o Nige was suggesting it might only be 45 mins.

Well, quite. 

17 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Re: the club. I've travelled the world and all over the UK and where I find a fellow fan, I talk to them about football.  I've never encountered any negative impression of Bristol City or its fans. Some fans of more successful clubs, usually plastic fans, will say stuff like "why do you wanna support them?" or "poor you", but that's just the bantz you expect from the glory hunting fraternity. The reaction is pretty good and many recount pleasant visits to Ashton Gate and Bristol in general.

Football forums are a different box of cheese, and you'll always find someone with an axe to grind willing to sound off. Just look at me on the Plymouth thread! :rofl2br:What you write on them, doesn't necessarily reflect what you think in the flesh - and I know a couple of good guys who support Argyle.  Hell, I have Gas-supporting friends, if it comes to that. 

As for booing their own players, I've lived outside Bristol since childhood and in many different places and have stood on the home terraces and heard Wimbledon, Chelsea, Spurs, Perugia, Southampton and Philadelphia Union fans boo their own players. You may recall the negative reaction from Reading fans to their double substitution yesterday.  It happens. It happens everywhere.

FWIW I agree with those that say it's unhelpful to the individual and the team, and also that it's too early to pass judgement on Cornick. If you condensed all his subs appearances together with the two starts, he has played less than 5 games with us. 

Ultimately, players' own performances are the only thing that will win over the doubters. If Cornick continues to play as he did yesterday, the boos- such that they were - will be silenced.

I've learnt that it's probably best to give a player more than 3 games before calling him awful.

Fans ability to see what the manager sees in a particular player is often questionable- the boos which greeted Flint coupled with cheers when he was subbed preceded the emergence of ,imho, one of the greatest defenders to play for City.

The spleen venting disappointment of the highly unpopular signing of Wilbrahim was again somewhat premature . Harry Cornick has been pretty unspectacular so far but in a somewhat counter intuitive way- that may be a good thing. The NP/BT axis of signing players is fairly good considering the restraints they work under so I doubt they bought a dud.

As for booing in general- I've never done it to any BC player or manager . The red line for me is when fans boo one of our own like some did to Joe Low- that really was moronic.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I've learnt that it's probably best to give a player more than 3 games before calling him awful.

Fans ability to see what the manager sees in a particular player is often questionable- the boos which greeted Flint coupled with cheers when he was subbed preceded the emergence of ,imho, one of the greatest defenders to play for City.

The spleen venting disappointment of the highly unpopular signing of Wilbrahim was again somewhat premature . Harry Cornick has been pretty unspectacular so far but in a somewhat counter intuitive way- that may be a good thing. The NP/BT axis of signing players is fairly good considering the restraints they work under so I doubt they bought a dud.

As for booing in general- I've never done it to any BC player or manager . The red line for me is when fans boo one of our own like some did to Joe Low- that really was moronic.

My take on it is, when fans boo'd Low and Sam Bell at right back, its not the player they are booing per se, just the fact that that player shouldnt be in that position at that particular time, and are actually booing the management. Same with the Cornick substitution, more booing Conway being replaced than HC coming on.

• Confused 1