IGNORED

Harry Cornick

old_eastender

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So, couple of things;

It was actually his second start.

At the start of the season many highlighted that our squad only contained 2 players aged in the sweet spot of 26-30, one of them was Kalas, who was injured then & is again now, the other was Bentley, who doesn’t play for us anymore. So Cornick is 28 next month, he’s hardly on the way down at that age, is he?

Last season Cornick scored 13 in a side that finished in the playoff positions, earning 20 more points than we did.

We paid £300k for him, he’s an experienced Championship squad player with an excellent availability record, who doesn’t look as though he’s as fit as we’d like, but with 9 games left that is far more likely to be addressed pre season.

If he still looks unfit in October & we haven’t seen much from him by then I’d understand this but there does seem a rush by a fair few to write him off.

This in a nutshell.

He looks slightly off the pace and short of confidence. Both of those things are going to be hard to recover amid the mayhem of the Championship, especially having just moved house/potentially uprooted family etc. He’s a human.

Let’s see where the land lies after pre-season IMO.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Let’s be honest, he looks every bit a Luton Town fringe player. We are fishing in a shallow pond. Hopefully that will change slightly this summer with big money for Scott. But right now, Luton’s scraps are the best we can do.

And this isn’t scapegoating, this is an honest assessment of a players contribution to the team so far.

I got shot down for this before, but he brings a fresh set of legs and experience,, but i dont know why we would bring him in with conway and bell needing minutes and wells and weimann still here to give some know how. If we had brought elijah/ a forward of that style i would understand it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Maybe Harry will score one and then become prolific,  but I'm concerned with the amount of time he has had, this striker hasn't come near either scoring or creating a goal  

Well thats just factually incorrect, granted he didnt put it away but on his debut he had a one on one with the keeper which was saved & it was his cross that led to the second goal against Blackpool.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Up to now, reinforced by poor sub appearances, wondering why we signed a near 28 year old forward, with a goal record in the Championship of just 1 in every 5 or 6 games. Could not watch tonight's game, so wondering how do he do having been given his 1st start?

Sick of fans scapegoating players ffs. Different players take a different amount of time time to adapt to a new club 

• Like 1

He hasn’t looked great so far bit still way too early to pass judgement IMO.

He does seem to be the new scapegoat at the moment which is no surprise. Personally after last night i would be focusing less on Cornick and on players like DaSilva, really hope we don’t offer him a new deal in the summer even as back up.

The kid offers nothing both defensively or offensively, easily gets bullied and is such an easy target. Honestly can’t remember the last decent game he had for us.Time to get rid.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bris Red said:

He does seem to be the new scapegoat at the moment which is no surprise. Personally after last night i would be focusing less on Cornick and on players like DaSilva, really hope we don’t offer him a new deal in the summer even as back up.

The kid offers nothing both defensively or offensively, easily gets bullied and is such an easy target. Honestly can’t remember the last decent game he had for us.Time to get rid.

Don’t worry, you’ll get your wish, Dasilva will be playing in the Championship next season but against us, not for us.

As for his last “decent game” it was only on Saturday gone.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

His last decent game was Saturday 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t worry, you’ll get your wish, Dasilva will be playing in the Championship next season but against us, not for us.

As for his last “decent game” it was only on Saturday gone.

Fair comment about Saturday, i thought he was average at best to be honest but it’s all about opinions. 

As for him playing against us next season good luck to him if him and his agent can find another championship club. I will eat some humble pie if he goes on to do well at this level with another club but i just can’t see it.

As i said for me he offers next to nothing going forward and is so easily picked off when he is asked to defend. He can’t be trusted in a flat back four and as i said when he is asked to play as a wing back he doesn’t do anywhere near enough in the opposition final third.

8 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yeah but sometimes its warranted. Vyner did make some howlers last season. I forget who was the scapegoat before Vyner. Weimann was it? 

Yes it may be warranted in the odd match but some fans seem to need a hate figure, someone to pick on most times for no reason. I wish fans would give players a chance before destroying them all over social media Not too sure about Weimann, but Williams, James, King, Atkinson, Martin and O'Leary have all been picked on unfairly this season

Just remember Tinnion was subject to the boo boys for a long time until he turned things around

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well maybe, but how many appearances are we going to give this guy before we say "it isn't working out"?

And how many hundreds of minutes of game time after that is it going to be before Pearson comes to the same conclusion??

I completely understand what your saying Robbo & I'm not getting where he improves us/will improve us in the future at all.

As Nigel says,Harry needs a full pre-season with us - I shall be watching with interest but I'll not be holding my breath........

• Thanks 1

Too early to judge, but not sure whether the ‘only buy players if they’re better than what we have’ mantra applies in this instance. At best, is he not a 1/5 or 1/6 striker?

I know Nige said he thinks he can improve him, but we’ve an Academy of youngsters that are ‘for improvement’. Think if we’re buying a 28 year old he should be oven ready personally. But then, I’ve never really got our Club’s transfer strategy and the lack of a decent scouting network.

• Like 2

Firstly I’m still in the ‘Too early to judge’ camp on Cornick. Thought he had a decent second half last night, however early signs haven’t been ideal.

But secondly - I think there’s a difference between slagging players off/scapegoating them and analysing/discussing when they’re not playing well or not having a good game. 

I think people sometimes get the two mixed up and in a performance based sport where every run and touch is analysed, I think it’s OK to talk about when a player isn’t playing well, within a context.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Too early to judge, but not sure whether the ‘only buy players if they’re better than what we have’ mantra applies in this instance. At best, is he not a 1/5 or 1/6 striker?

I know Nige said he thinks he can improve him, but we’ve an Academy of youngsters that are ‘for improvement’. Think if we’re buying a 28 year old he should be oven ready personally. But then, I’ve never really got our Club’s transfer strategy and the lack of a decent scouting network.

Scoring 9 goals in 45 games is better than most of our strikers, I also think Luton spread their goals out (although I haven’t checked the stats).

I think the scapegoat definition is doing some heavy lifting in this thread.

Most would reasonably expect an experienced Championship forward to be able to come in and adapt quicker than an academy prospect which is why you pay a fee &/or offer bigger wages, especially with a Jan transfer. Otherwise why not give another of the kids 10 games to see what they can give.

Think it’s ok to agree it’s been a disappointing signing so far, but I’m sure to a man we all are rooting for him to find his place in the group and succeed for City.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Up to now, reinforced by poor sub appearances, wondering why we signed a near 28 year old forward, with a goal record in the Championship of just 1 in every 5 or 6 games. Could not watch tonight's game, so wondering how do he do having been given his 1st start?

I would hazard a guess that it was because Chris Martin was leaving and when he came on as sub he made us worse (this season). With Cornick we have strength on the bench and imo and Nigel's words we have an option on the bench that won't weaken us when he comes on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I think his gangly demeanour doesn’t help, he’s not a particularly neat player (I’m trying to think of who he reminds me of) but he’s doing ok so far, made some key passes and interceptions, works hard.

I think he’ll come good given time. 

Tom Ritchie ?

• Like 2

I am surprised at the desire to make a judgement so quickly. 

In addition to being in a new team and system, it's also a young man moving to a totally new city. There's so much more to consider when a player moves teams. Some adapt quicker than others. It may well take a pre-season to get him where he needs to be.. or, if we end up with a group of nothing matches towards the end of the season then that time could be useful.

The idea that Pearson might be playing him to try and justify his transfer is just mad..

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I have absolutely no concerns over Mehmeti.

Cornick needs more than 320 minutes (of which less than half is from the start) to start forming a true opinion, good, bad or indifferent.  I thought in his first start v Wigan he did pretty well.  If I’m judging now, then he’s been a bit disappointing.  But I’d trust Pearson and his staff’s ability to improve players at this early stage.

Watching that Cornick interview with Joe Partington, I think he suffers a bit of insecurity of his ability.  He’ll want that first goal.

I think 10 games or thereabouts is a fair yardstick, if he's getting better then that's normally a good sign he's settling into the side.  I think I agree with you that 300-odd minutes is just not enough time to judge him, I'm not sure we can judge him until next season, both Bournemouth and Luton fans adore the guy so he's not crap, he's just not gelling. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I think his gangly demeanour doesn’t help, he’s not a particularly neat player (I’m trying to think of who he reminds me of) but he’s doing ok so far, made some key passes and interceptions, works hard.

I think he’ll come good given time. 

He reminds me of Martin Woolford, might that be who you're thinking of?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

I really cannot see Pearson shoehorning in a player to prove anything to anybody. Surprised anyone would think that let alone suggest it.

In which case, I'd see his 60-minute plus introductions in various games as tactical errors rather than attempts to justify a purchase.

Although I haven't been impressed, I'm not writing the guy off.  The Semenyo Is Not A Striker thread comes to mind.

Whether it's a confidence issue, rustiness or  afailure to adapt to our playing style though, Cornick isn't doing it. I know at Luton he scored lots of headers, something needing lots of high-quality crosses, not always our forte. 

The jury most definitely hasn't returned a verdict on this one. 

• Like 1